BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-18-2019, 06:30 PM   #1
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Park distance control

What's up everyone
Maybe I'm going crazy...but I need some help with the park distance control
In my X5 when I'm driving and coming to a stop behind another vehicle the PDC would engage. The beeping alert would turn on and the I drive would show how far I am from the object in front of me when I got close. I would call it active park distance control. Does the x3 / x3m not have active park distance control. When I get close to an object in front of me (car in drive) I get nothing unless I press the parking assist button next to the gear shift
I honestly can't remember how it was in my 2014 335. Is this how it's supposed to be in the x3? Or does the car need to take a trip to the shop?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 06:39 PM   #2
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC F97 View Post
What's up everyone
In my X5 when I'm driving and coming to a stop behind another vehicle the PDC would engage. The beeping alert would turn on and the I drive would show how far I am from the object in front of me when I got close. I would call it active park distance control. Does the x3 / x3m not have active park distance control. When I get close to an object in front of me (car in drive) I get nothing unless I press the parking assist button next to the gear shift
I honestly can't remember how it was in my 2014 335. Is this how it's supposed to be in the x3? Or does the car need to take a trip to the shop?
Should be a setting in iDrive, sub sections n Parking. It was there in my '19 M40i and my '20 X3MC...in fact, I had to turn it off because of the front license plate holder I installed a few days ago. Made the sensor go off constantly
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 06:40 PM   #3
TheRealMC
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW - x3 M40i

Quote:
What's up everyone
Does it work when you are parking - either backing up or into a parking spot? My 2019 X5 automatically turns on when parking but I don't think it does in stop and go traffic unless I hit the parking sensor button.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 06:50 PM   #4
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMC View Post
Does it work when you are parking - either backing up or into a parking spot? My 2019 X5 automatically turns on when parking but I don't think it does in stop and go traffic unless I hit the parking sensor button.
In my x5 it worked in stop and go traffic. If I crept forward and started to get close to the car in front of me it would trigger the alert. I vaguely remember in my f30 335i it was passive. I would only get alerted when trying to park the car or if I pressed the button.
Maybe it’s a 3 series vs 5 and up series difference. I checked my settings and all of its turned on.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 09:37 PM   #5
Fast Intentions
RELAPSED MOD ADDICT
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 F80 *202 F97*

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMC View Post
In my x5 it worked in stop and go traffic. If I crept forward and started to get close to the car in front of me it would trigger the alert. I vaguely remember in my f30 335i it was passive. I would only get alerted when trying to park the car or if I pressed the button.
Maybe it’s a 3 series vs 5 and up series difference. I checked my settings and all of its turned on.
It works in traffic too. Happens all the time in the city. Cameras go on along with PDC. Check your idrive settings. It's def there
Mods: Evolution Racewerkes Downpipes / Maximum PSI Front Mount Intakes / Active Autowerkes Mid Pipe / JB4 Stage 3 (Bluetooth) / BMS Meth Kit / AKRAPOVIC CF Tips / VORSTEINER VFF101 Wrapped in Hankook Ventus V12.2's / BMS 12/15MM Spacers Mode Carbon Spoiler / M Performance CF Lip / RW DTM CF Diffuser / RW CF Mirrors / RW CF Fender Inserts / RW CF Grills
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 12:12 PM   #6
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Intentions View Post
It works in traffic too. Happens all the time in the city. Cameras go on along with PDC. Check your idrive settings. It's def there
do you have the active driving assistance package on your car? i dont have it and i suspect that is why.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 04:00 PM   #7
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep

Crisis averted...kinda

So I double checked I drive as everyone suggested. Everything was checked off. So pulling into my driveway I crept and crept and crept until I was inches from my garage door. And the alerts triggered. My X5 the alerts triggered at a much earlier time which made me believe my x3 was busted.
So all good for now. Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 08:21 PM   #8
Fast Intentions
RELAPSED MOD ADDICT
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 F80 *202 F97*

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Intentions View Post
do you have the active driving assistance package on your car? i dont have it and i suspect that is why.
I do have It.
Mods: Evolution Racewerkes Downpipes / Maximum PSI Front Mount Intakes / Active Autowerkes Mid Pipe / JB4 Stage 3 (Bluetooth) / BMS Meth Kit / AKRAPOVIC CF Tips / VORSTEINER VFF101 Wrapped in Hankook Ventus V12.2's / BMS 12/15MM Spacers Mode Carbon Spoiler / M Performance CF Lip / RW DTM CF Diffuser / RW CF Mirrors / RW CF Fender Inserts / RW CF Grills
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 08:59 PM   #9
csh212
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Quote:
What's up everyone
Should be a setting in iDrive, sub sections n Parking. It was there in my '19 M40i and my '20 X3MC...in fact, I had to turn it off because of the front license plate holder I installed a few days ago. Made the sensor go off constantly
What front plate do you have? Tow or traditional drilled bracket?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 09:39 PM   #10
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csh212 View Post

Thanks
Drilled bracket. Turns out it works. Just engages a lot later than my x5. Crisis averted
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 07:12 AM   #11
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What's up everyone

Thanks
Didn't you ask me in another thread about the Millworks tow plate?....I have the tow plate
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 07:15 AM   #12
csh212
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What's up everyone

Thanks
Didn't you ask me in another thread about the Millworks tow plate?....I have the tow plate
Word up. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 09:37 AM   #13
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

On my ‘19 X3, the front PDC/camera doesn’t seem to engage unless I press the Parking camera. My ‘15 X3 would turn on within feet of something in front of me at slow speeds. Is there a way to change the sensitivity?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:36 PM   #14
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

dont think mines does either. i dont have park+

maybe different on uk cars?
Appreciate 0