BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-14-2023, 10:44 AM   #1
steviej2802
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Battery Warming before charging?

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on the real-world benefits of pre-warming the battery before charging?

I have tried using the app a few times, but can't say I noticed any particular improvement in charging times.

Also, are there any guidelines how long before charging one should activate the app (10 mins? 30 mins?)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 01:30 PM   #2
Mogwai888
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3

Hi

It’s meant to prevent coldgating and help with charging speeds mainly with high speed DC charging.

I mainly charge at home so not really an issue, but do agree its hard to tell as there’s no battery temp, or any status around the preheat so not sure you can ever really know what temp you were meant to get to before charging.

I’ve found that at times the car has prompted the battery heat recommendation but don’t know whether that’s based on range or optimised for charging….
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 10:52 AM   #3
fulgeru
Romania
Rep
Drives: iX3

Based on my experience (two long journeys totaling a bit over 2000 km this summer), you had to manually start the battery heating app 20 minutes before arriving at the next fast charging station on the highway. Fifteen minutes, for example, was not enough to suck close to 150 kW.

Remember that I had about 5 charges in a row, and the battery was continuously used and still not considered heated enough (during the nights of August) unless you start the app 20 minutes before charging.

Unfortunately, the pre-heating information is not written officially anywhere; you have to figure it out yourself; therefore, probably during winter, you need at least 25 minutes.

I had a good appreciation of the time because, during my long trip, I used the ABRP plus an OBD - and that's how I knew how long it was until the next stop.
Appreciate 0