BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-22-2019, 05:20 PM   #1
lochview
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i (MY20 TU)

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice from the community across the UK.

I'm on the cusp of changing away from my current car (2015 F36 435d xDrive M Sport) and I've decided that the X3 M40i is the perfect combination of practicality and performance.

I've been looking at the Technical Update 2019 edition of the model which is currently being updated on BMWs build and finance systems.

I've put the following specification together and I'm keen to get your views on this and also some opinions on where to source the best deals available.

So, the specification I've picked is:
G01 X3 M40i ZA B58 3.0i TU
Carbon Black Metallic Paint
BMW Individual Tartufo / Black Merino Leather
BMW Piano Black Trim
Technology Pack
Comfort Pack
Parking Assistant Plus Pack
Driving Assistant Plus Pack
M Sport Plus Pack with 21" 718M Alloy Wheels
Electric Towbar
Panoramic Glass Sunroof
Lumbar Support (Driver and Passenger)
Seat Heating (Front and Rear)
Galvanic Embellishers for Controls
Apple CarPlay Preparation
Model Designation Deletion
Trim Designation Deletion

I can confirm that this update for the mid-year 2019 model includes BMW Live Cockpit Professional, which I'm quite interested in (although I know this has definitely divided opinions in the forums from what I've seen).

I did notice that it doesn't mention anything in the build TU configurator about Concierge Service, Smoking Pack (I don't smoke, but use this to get extra USB charge points in the cabin) and also rear sun-blinds, so not sure if some options are included elsewhere or are not available anymore?

This specification retails for £64,925.00 including the on road costs (delivery, road tax full tank of fuel etc).

I'm also looking for the likes of GAP asset insurance and tyre / alloy insurance, but I've been told to look online for those rather than sourcing from the dealers as I'm likely to get a more competitive deal. Do you all have any ideas what are the best products are on the market today?

I've spoken to some dealers in Scotland and some down south of the border too and none of them can yet quote me for finance on the above, but have given some indicative pricing based on the previous model.

Delivery will likely be in the middle to end of October which works well for me, based on what I've seen thus far from the dealers I've already spoken to.

I also agree with the sentiment of other posters, that I will be turning ASD off on the car either via BimmerCode or pulling the fuse in the rear compartment. I found the drone annoying when I had the car on a recent test drive, so will be a welcome mod to remove that excessive drone from the day to day driving experience.

I'd welcome thoughts from fellow bimmerpost contributors regarding the above?

Thanks and sorry for such an extended post!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 03:06 AM   #2
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

What a mega spec!

Ask for quotes in the first week of July. That's when dealers will be updating their offers for the next quarter.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2019, 04:14 AM   #3
X3M40i_Nev
Straight Six Convert
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 Mini JCW  [10.00]
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
That is a mega spec, and great colour choice 😬
A number of posters on here go via TRL for deals, but for me I started with the usual CarWow, lease deals etc, and then took those to my local dealer to beat. For me came up with a deal on a built model, so appreciate that is often where better deals are had, especially when the model update was pending (I got mine in May), but did get £9.5k of a £56k spec car, so somewhat lower spec than yours 😂

I used ALA for GAP, and pondered the alloy and tyre insurance, but that isn’t helped by the fact many 3rd parties won’t cover 21”s. So in the end haven’t gone with anything. 🤦*♂️
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 04:20 AM   #4
lochview
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3M40i_Nev View Post
That is a mega spec, and great colour choice 😬
A number of posters on here go via TRL for deals, but for me I started with the usual CarWow, lease deals etc, and then took those to my local dealer to beat. For me came up with a deal on a built model, so appreciate that is often where better deals are had, especially when the model update was pending (I got mine in May), but did get £9.5k of a £56k spec car, so somewhat lower spec than yours 😂
How are you finding the car since getting into it in May? I'm also keen like yours to do a Paint Protection solution on the car when it arrives. What would you recommend?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 04:21 AM   #5
mrbmwx3
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d

Garage List
That's a big spec! Be careful with the black piano trim, scratches very easily apparently. Folding mirrors standard now?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 04:57 AM   #6
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

Thats a great spec. When I was looking the best I could come up with was 13% off list from several dealers.

Have you looked at the depreciation thread though to make sure you want to plough that much into an X3? I purchased virtually the same spec minus the driver assist packages and galvanic controls for over £20k less then that at 11 months old.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 05:08 AM   #7
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandle View Post
Thats a great spec. When I was looking the best I could come up with was 13% off list from several dealers.

Have you looked at the depreciation thread though to make sure you want to plough that much into an X3? I purchased virtually the same spec minus the driver assist packages and galvanic controls for over £20k less then that at 11 months old.
I looked at nearly new with maybe 3-5k on the clock .... and the deals were dearer by £100 a month on PCP than a new one. The GFV after the PCP was not hugely different either.

I was a bit surprised as I got a far better deal on an M240i convertible at a few months old than new.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 06:19 AM   #8
lochview
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbmwx3 View Post
That's a big spec! Be careful with the black piano trim, scratches very easily apparently. Folding mirrors standard now?
Yep, from the official quote for the car, folding mirrors with anti-dazzle are standard under code 430
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 07:17 AM   #9
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Great spec!

I came from a 330d to M40i in March 2018. Still love the car...a lot! I think this car is a keeper.

Maybe look at adaptive suspension, but it may now be included in one of the packs now.

Debadging the car turns it into a real sleeper. Had a guy in a 318d trying to race me the other day.

I have 20" wheels and ride is good. Not as harsh as my 330d xdrive (with ACS springs) was.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 07:53 AM   #10
X3M40i_Nev
Straight Six Convert
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 Mini JCW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
Great spec!

I came from a 330d to M40i in March 2018. Still love the car...a lot! I think this car is a keeper.

Maybe look at adaptive suspension, but it may now be included in one of the packs now.

Debadging the car turns it into a real sleeper. Had a guy in a 318d trying to race me the other day.

I have 20" wheels and ride is good. Not as harsh as my 330d xdrive (with ACS springs) was.

Adaptive is part of Plus Pack
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2765.50
      06-23-2019, 07:58 AM   #11
lochview
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
Great spec!

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, the Adaptive Suspension if I remember correctly from the quote is included in one of the packs (an important option for sure).

I've got ACS springs on my current adaptive setup on my 435d and was very surprised on my most recent test drive in the M40i at how good the ride was even on the 21" alloy wheels with the Alenza tyres.

I might switch (as suggested by another member here) to the Michelin PS4 SUV edition tyres in the near future to give a bit more suppleness to the ride (albeit sacrificing the run flat flexibility when a tyre is blown).

I've also requested a quote from TRL for this to see what he can come up with in terms of an overall price on a PCP deal over 4 years. I will post back when I hear more from him!

Must have been fun smoking the 318d. I've had that a few times in my debadged 435d as this car also looks like any other 4 cylinder 4 series. Quite funny for sure

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 07:59 AM   #12
X3M40i_Nev
Straight Six Convert
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 Mini JCW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lochview View Post
How are you finding the car since getting into it in May? I'm also keen like yours to do a Paint Protection solution on the car when it arrives. What would you recommend?
Love it mate, like someone else said, I think this is a real keeper for me, which would be rare. A couple of minor things I have car booked in to get sorted. Pano squeak, and odd squeal from outside when cold sometimes. From research here, could earlier be steering or drive dust covers.

I asked for mine not to be touched and prepped and coated with Gyeon Q2 Pure myself. So much choice and price points, but given your spec and colour, would recommend getting it coated either yourself or professionally, and ideally get car to go straight there. I am sure you are aware but as others said, piano black whilst lovely is a real swirl magnet.

I also have the 21”s, and on my list is to get them off and coat with Kamikaze Stance. Might wait until winter and I have bought some winter wheels and tyres.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 08:49 AM   #13
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Thanks for your comments.

I've also requested a quote from TRL for this to see what he can come up with in terms of an overall price on a PCP deal over 4 years. I will post back when I hear more from him!

Must have been fun smoking the 318d. I've had that a few times in my debadged 435d as this car also looks like any other 4 cylinder 4 series. Quite funny for sure

\

TRL is a good guy to deal with. Especially if you tell him upfront that you will order from him if his figures are good. That is who I used. I also asked for the car to be delivered untouched. He transported it from London to Glasgow for me!

Guys face in 318d was a picture. He was gesticulating (with one finger!) that I wasn't going fast enough - his window was down when I gave the accelarator (in sport) a gentle squeeze. Im sure he got the fill sound in his cabin! Something for him to think about!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 11:50 AM   #14
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

21" wheels are great. I was concerned as hadn't driven it with them on ... when I tried I bought. I think they add a bit to the look too ! Ride is great and nowhere near as hard as I was worried about.

I have adaptive which is handy but not an essential ... I came from cars with and without adaptive and though nice would not be a deal breaker for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #15
X3M40i_Nev
Straight Six Convert
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 Mini JCW  [10.00]
Agree ^^ Was a little worried about ride on R/F 21”s after testing with 20”s, but no need to be concerned, and wow, the wheels look AWESOME in my opinion 😬 Also have adaptive, which is nice, but agree not a deal breaker.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 12:09 PM   #16
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3M40i_Nev View Post
Agree ^^ Was a little worried about ride on R/F 21”s after testing with 20”s, but no need to be concerned, and wow, the wheels look AWESOME in my opinion 😬 Also have adaptive, which is nice, but agree not a deal breaker.
Glad it's not only me who feels this way re the 21's and the Adaptive

I also have head up display and having been totally against it having tried it in a Mazda I was amazed how much I love it in the X3 .

360 degree cams also not as good as I thought they would be but I'm not complaining ... I think I wouldn't bother spec'ing those again tbh ... but would spec the head up display, dear though it is.

I bought one in stock so had stuff I wouldn't have spec'd ... like 21's and the head up display. It also has an electric tow bar .... and the wife now wants a trailer tent or caravan ffs !
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 12:13 PM   #17
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Hi All,

I'm on the cusp of changing away from my current car (2015 F36 435d xDrive M Sport) and I've decided that the X3 M40i is the perfect combination of practicality and performance.

I've been looking at the Technical Update 2019 edition of the model which is currently being updated on BMWs build and finance systems.

I've put the following specification together and I'm keen to get your views on this and also some opinions on where to source the best deals available.

BMW Piano Black Trim
Technology Pack
Comfort Pack
Electric Towbar
Panoramic Glass Sunroof

I can confirm that this update for the mid-year 2019 model includes BMW Live Cockpit Professional, which I'm quite interested in (although I know this has definitely divided opinions in the forums from what I've seen).

I did notice that it doesn't mention anything in the build TU configurator about Concierge Service, Smoking Pack (I don't smoke, but use this to get extra USB charge points in the cabin) and also rear sun-blinds, so not sure if some options are included elsewhere or are not available anymore?

This specification retails for £64,925.00 including the on road costs (delivery, road tax full tank of fuel etc).

I'm also looking for the likes of GAP asset insurance and tyre / alloy insurance, but I've been told to look online for those rather than sourcing from the dealers as I'm likely to get a more competitive deal. Do you all have any ideas what are the best products are on the market today?

I've spoken to some dealers in Scotland and some down south of the border too and none of them can yet quote me for finance on the above, but have given some indicative pricing based on the previous model.

Delivery will likely be in the middle to end of October which works well for me, based on what I've seen thus far from the dealers I've already spoken to.

I also agree with the sentiment of other posters, that I will be turning ASD off on the car either via BimmerCode or pulling the fuse in the rear compartment. I found the drone annoying when I had the car on a recent test drive, so will be a welcome mod to remove that excessive drone from the day to day driving experience.

Great spec, I'd avoid the piano black trim though, it's a nightmare for finger prints, scratches and dust!

Best gap insurance is www.gapinsurance.co.uk and use one of the many 10% off codes floating around the net.

Hopefully the car cost after discount and not including otr costs is under £50k as the gap price seems to double if you go above £49,999!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 12:17 PM   #18
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Try ALA for Gap ... I've had loads of policies with them - cost me £225 I think for 4 years RTI. I used a MSE25 code to get 25% off. Covered a purchase price of £56K.

BMW wanted £660 for GAP !!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 12:31 PM   #19
lochview
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO8 View Post
Try ALA for Gap ... I've had loads of policies with them - cost me £225 I think for 4 years RTI. I used a MSE25 code to get 25% off. Covered a purchase price of £56K.

Thanks for this - I will see if I can get that discount come nearer the delivery. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 12:34 PM   #20
lochview
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:
Hi All,

BMW Piano Black Trim
Technology Pack
Comfort Pack
Electric Towbar
Panoramic Glass Sunroof

Great spec, I'd avoid the piano black trim though, it's a nightmare for finger prints, scratches and dust!

Best gap insurance is www.gapinsurance.co.uk and use one of the many 10% off codes floating around the net.

Hopefully the car cost after discount and not including otr costs is under £50k as the gap price seems to double if you go above £49,999!
Thanks Teaston - I have Piano Black trim in my current car and it's stood up well over the past nearly four years.

Will potentially look at new car detailing inside and out, so may ask them to protect the trim as best they can!

I hope you are getting much enjoyment out of your car too. I've enjoyed reading some of your posts and comments around it and also dealing with TRL.
Appreciate 1
teaston10994.50
      06-23-2019, 02:36 PM   #21
T16ole
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M40i

Wow, great spec.

It’s a bit like mine, though you’ve got a few extra options.

I’d consider the carbon black, they swirl by just looking at them. My step fathers 7-series is covered in swirl marks from the factory.

free pic hosting
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 03:24 PM   #22
SSBMW14
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Drives 2023 G16 840i

Garage List
2023 BMW 840i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SO8 View Post

Thanks for this - I will see if I can get that discount come nearer the delivery. Cheers!
That code is valid until 1 Jan 2021 - see below.
Attached Images