BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-21-2019, 07:56 PM   #67
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i Dark Graphite Cogn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP435iM View Post
hey guys, love the sound of muffler delete

have ordered my X4M40i. coming out of a M2 comp but very excited for the change.

main question

underneath the car is there

1. rear muffler
2. center resonator

im keen for some more sound but deleting both maybe too loud for me.

Anyone done resonator delete only?
Correct, there's 1 center resonator and muffler.

If you're looking for just a slight increase in sound I would definitely do the resonator delete over the muffler if you have to choose one. Reason being, it removes a lot of the natural rasp in the exhaust note and really cleans it up.

I don't know if anyone has done just resonator delete.

Next weekend my brother and I will make a video comparison of our exhausts. My 2018 X3 M40i with catted down pipe + resonator and muffler delete and his 2019 X4 M40i with stock down pipe + resonator and muffler delete. After filming the comparison, we will install his catless down pipe
      09-21-2019, 09:26 PM   #68
thekronoschef
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayf30 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP435iM View Post
hey guys, love the sound of muffler delete

have ordered my X4M40i. coming out of a M2 comp but very excited for the change.

main question

underneath the car is there

1. rear muffler
2. center resonator

im keen for some more sound but deleting both maybe too loud for me.

Anyone done resonator delete only?
Correct, there's 1 center resonator and muffler.

If you're looking for just a slight increase in sound I would definitely do the resonator delete over the muffler if you have to choose one. Reason being, it removes a lot of the natural rasp in the exhaust note and really cleans it up.

I don't know if anyone has done just resonator delete.

Next weekend my brother and I will make a video comparison of our exhausts. My 2018 X3 M40i with catted down pipe + resonator and muffler delete and his 2019 X4 M40i with stock down pipe + resonator and muffler delete. After filming the comparison, we will install his catless down pipe
This will be a great comparison, and thanks for doing it. I've been considering one or both of the deletions. I currently have high flow DP, charge pipe and BMS intake. Is it true that deleting the resonator creates more drone than deleting the muffler. I spend quite a bit of time on the interstate at constant speeds, and am only delaying this mod for fear of the drone.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 11:00 PM   #69
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekronoschef View Post
This will be a great comparison, and thanks for doing it. I've been considering one or both of the deletions. I currently have high flow DP, charge pipe and BMS intake. Is it true that deleting the resonator creates more drone than deleting the muffler. I spend quite a bit of time on the interstate at constant speeds, and am only delaying this mod for fear of the drone.
There's drone but it's something I can live with and am used to now. My car gets quite a few passengers old and new and never get complaints, in fact, everyone likes my exhaust.

I can't comment which delete caused more drone but I would probably lean toward the resonator since it's intended purposes are to muffle certain frequencies. In my honest opinion, it's not head ache inducing drone but I understand everyone is different.

If you're gonna do the delete, either do the resonator only or both. With just the muffler delete, sure you'll have more sound but an annoying rasp. I secretly disliked my exhaust pre-resonator delete because of the rasp at low rpms with >50% throttle. Deleting the resonator changed all of that and I couldn't be happier.
      09-21-2019, 11:03 PM   #70
thekronoschef
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekronoschef View Post
There's drone but it's something I can live with and am used to now. My car gets quite a few passengers old and new and never get complaints, in fact, everyone likes my exhaust.

I can't comment which delete caused more drone but I would probably lean toward the resonator since it's intended purposes are to muffle certain frequencies. In my honest opinion, it's not head ache inducing drone but I understand everyone is different.

If you're gonna do the delete, either do the resonator only or both. With just the muffler delete, sure you'll have more sound but an annoying rasp. I secretly disliked my exhaust pre-resonator delete because of the rasp at low rpms with >50% throttle. Deleting the resonator changed all of that and I couldn't be happier.
I really appreciate the detailed response. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 04:27 AM   #71
808ron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Someone do a resonator delete only to let us know!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 12:07 AM   #72
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808ron View Post
Someone do a resonator delete only to let us know!
But most importantly, post a before and after video!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 01:42 PM   #73
kdm1230
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60, F83, G01, G30, F90

Is muffler delete reversible in this case, since new tips are welded (it seems from the picture)?
Did you try taking your car in for service to see if it would void any manufacturer warranty?
I am planning to lease and do muffler delete as well but just want to make sure before taking any action.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 02:25 PM   #74
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm1230 View Post
Is muffler delete reversible in this case, since new tips are welded (it seems from the picture)?
Did you try taking your car in for service to see if it would void any manufacturer warranty?
I am planning to lease and do muffler delete as well but just want to make sure before taking any action.

Thank you
I've done about 3 services so far (1 being fully straight piped as well) as long as nothing breaks, shouldn't have any warranty issues. Everything is reversible.
      10-30-2019, 11:04 PM   #75
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
as long as nothing breaks, shouldn't have any warranty issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 07:15 AM   #76
Sammy_V
Happy M40i driver
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:

Hi Jayf30
Did you eventually get to do the mods and make the before and after movies ?
thanks
Sam
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 10:57 AM   #77
Oldguysrule
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
My car gets quite a few passengers old and new and never get complaints, in fact, everyone likes my exhaust.
Said no one, ever who lives along roads with cars driving by with no mufflers.

Sorry to sound like an old prick but this is the same logic that Harley riders use to justify their loud bikes - I like that sound, you should too. Except they don't consider or care about the people who live along well traveled roads. This whole, its a free country, I'll do whatever I want attitude is why we're locked down right now in this country as thousands gather in churches to celebrate Easter because they feel their rights supercede others. Sorry for the rant but if you feel you need more noise, track it please.
Appreciate 2
Jayf30633.00
Alias1431794.00
      04-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #78
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguysrule View Post
Quote:
My car gets quite a few passengers old and new and never get complaints, in fact, everyone likes my exhaust.

Sorry to sound like an old prick but this is the same logic that Harley riders use to justify their loud bikes - I like that sound, you should too. Except they don't consider or care about the people who live along well traveled roads. This whole, its a free country, I'll do whatever I want attitude is why we're locked down right now in this country as thousands gather in churches to celebrate Easter because they feel their rights supercede others. Sorry for the rant but if you feel you need more noise, track it please.
Well I just said it so unless you personally know some of my passengers? 🥴

Lmao I appreciate your rant. I know quarantine is tough for some folks. Stay healthy 😊
      04-12-2020, 11:07 AM   #79
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy_V View Post
Quote:

Hi Jayf30
Did you eventually get to do the mods and make the before and after movies ?
thanks
Sam
I made the mods mods but not the video unfortunately
      04-12-2020, 03:33 PM   #80
PostModernHero
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Not to mention... doing this sort of modification on a *leased* vehicle. Akin to doing a kitchen remodel on your rented apartment. I'd like to say I'm surprised, but really... I'm not.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2020, 04:04 PM   #81
PostModernHero
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Foolishness

Quote:
I made the mods mods but not the video unfortunately
I hope you realize... in order to obtain the lease, you signed paperwork... in good faith, which no doubt contains a clause that such modifications are expressly prohibited.

I can tell you with certainty... that I would not be interested in buying a lease return vehicle that has had it's exhaust system chopped and welded twice over.

At lease return inspection, the dealer would have every right... upon finding non-factory welds (in fact, welds that shouldn't exist in the first place), to rip out and replace the entire exhaust system... and charge YOU for it.

So... you paid to have the mod done, will pay to have it reversed, and potentially pay AGAIN to have the exhaust replaced. At dealership price, no less!

Brilliant...
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2020, 04:50 PM   #82
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostModernHero View Post
I hope you realize... in order to obtain the lease, you signed paperwork... in good faith, which no doubt contains a clause that such modifications are expressly prohibited.

I can tell you with certainty... that I would not be interested in buying a lease return vehicle that has had it's exhaust system chopped and welded twice over.

At lease return inspection, the dealer would have every right... upon finding non-factory welds (in fact, welds that shouldn't exist in the first place), to rip out and replace the entire exhaust system... and charge YOU for it.

So... you paid to have the mod done, will pay to have it reversed, and potentially pay AGAIN to have the exhaust replaced. At dealership price, no less!

Brilliant...
Lmao I guess everyone has time today. The kids just finished their Easter egg hunt so I've got time as well.

I hope you realize... I've done this before with a lease. I've had no issues with lease turn in and all service appointments prior to it, on my previous modded lease. I have a good relationship with my dealership that allows me to do so. Maybe your dealer doesn't like you as much?

I can tell you with certainty... that no one asked.

So... yes I paid around $300 in shop labor to have this done and will pay another $300 to reverse it like I've done before. I'd gladly pay it again to have a car that doesn't sound like yours.

Anyone else wanna waste their time with this bullshit? Please, be my guest.

However, I'll have to respond tomorrow because the rest of this day is dedicated to my family.

Happy Easter and stay safe folks 😊
      04-12-2020, 04:50 PM   #83
Oldguysrule
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:

Brilliant...
He doesn't care - it will be someone else's problem. He's not going to disclose it when he turns the car in and they probably won't check it. "Well I did it on my last lease (F30 335i) and did regular maintenance service with no issues. Lease return was just a quick walk around the car and done."

Like I said, these are folks who flaunt the law (there are federal exhaust noise standards but we all know many people on motorcycles and cars/trucks don't adhere to them because they aren't enforced) because it's all about what they like. He admits it's "really loud" and he tries to keep it down around older people, children and pets. C'mon man, what about all the people you drive by day and night that maybe don't want to hear a car with open exhaust rambling down the street they have to live on? Maybe I like polka music turned all the way up as loud as your pipes and I drive by your house every day, all day and all night. You should like it too, right? But it "really tuns heads." I'll bet it does. And I know people aren't thinking, wow, that guy is too cool! Whatever man.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 04:58 PM   #84
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I'm literally dying of laughter at the fact that you guys are this pressed about my exhaust.

Please keep going, my family finds this hilarious as well
      04-12-2020, 05:02 PM   #85
PostModernHero
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
He doesn't care - it will be someone else's problem.
Well that's obvious.

But my pointing out the obvious is somehow bullshit. My only point is... you own the car, do as you want to it. I have no problem with that, even if it pisses other people off. Mod to your heart's content! If it breaks applicable laws, you might just get pulled over.

But it is technically *not* his car to do with as he pleases. That he has gotten away with it in the past, is far beside the point...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 09:21 PM   #86
Xnfris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i m sport

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i   [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
He doesn't care - it will be someone else's problem.
Well that's obvious.

But my pointing out the obvious is somehow bullshit. My only point is... you own the car, do as you want to it. I have no problem with that, even if it pisses other people off. Mod to your heart's content! If it breaks applicable laws, you might just get pulled over.

But it is technically *not* his car to do with as he pleases. That he has gotten away with it in the past, is far beside the point...

You obviously haven't been around the forums much. There are loads of people here who lease cars and do full bolt on conversions ie. stage 2 turbos and such and when it comes time to return the car they just put all the stock parts back on, sell the mods and start over with their next lease car. There are plenty of dealers that are mod friendly.

However I will agree with your previous comment on buying a previously leased car. This is exactly why I never would. Buying used is a crap shoot.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 09:27 PM   #87
PostModernHero
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnfris View Post
You obviously haven't been around the forums much. There are loads of people here who lease cars and do full bolt on conversions ie. stage 2 turbos and such and when it comes time to return the car they just put all the stock parts back on, sell the mods and start over with their next lease car. There are plenty of dealers that are mod friendly.

However I will agree with your previous comment on buying a previously leased car. This is exactly why I never would. Buying used is a crap shoot.
Check my forum join date. Yes, I am well aware...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 10:21 PM   #88
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Check my forum join date. Yes, I am well aware...
Please keep going. My nieces and nephews and I are very entertained/ bewildered at the fact that you care so much.

They want updates, so keep it coming