BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-27-2021, 09:04 PM   #23
TX3M
Car guy
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerforlife View Post
Oh really that late? If it comes out fall I wonder if it will still be a 2021 model hmm. I see the build it now is finally up on the SQ5 sportback. I also see a few new u tube videos but there mostly from Euro reviewers. Thomas with Autogefuehl just reviewed it and said it's super quiet inside and built very good. I really like the look of this vehicle and it seems like it might have a little better rear visibility than the X4.

I did a build it now on the USA site and priced it out at $71,895 it's nice they offer Nappa leather option and the sport pkg comes with the air suspension which I'd get along with the black optics pkg and the dynamic steering. All in all seems like a nice combo of both luxury and sport in a nice sporty SUV. I've not bought a new car in 10 yrs so this will be a nice change from my 2011 335i.

I'm taking my time and getting what I really want and doing a lot of research. I almost bought an 2021 X4 but held back, love the front end and interior, the rear is still growing on me, it's the weakest point for me. I'm not crazy about the poor rear visibility but I do like the sloping roof line from the side. The digital instrument cluster is still growing on me, having had 2 BMW's both with traditional gauges. I wish the X4 came with the comfort seats in the X6. I've got sport seats in my 335i and there very similar to the X4 and I really want something different.

Thanks again for the info, I'll check the dealers closer to summer for a test drive on the sportback.
My pleasure! Check this thread too if you haven't already seen it.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1793503
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 09:32 PM   #24
Datemike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 330e

Pulled the trigger today and put in the order on an M40i. Like I said, I scoured the internet for more info on LCI and there's not much info aside from it'll be similar to what the 5 series went through, which IMO meant no major upgrades.

Pretty happy with my current build and deal. Let's see what LCI brings now. Thanks for all your opinions guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 12:31 AM   #25
ackmonal
Rep
Drives: considering x3

i was in the same situation. i ended up ordering my m40i a few weeks ago (still waiting for it to be built).
i do think there are several features in the 2022 that i will want.
but ultimately, i decided i'd rather have my new car sooner rather than later.
At some point, you got to live life, instead of waiting for the next best thing.
Appreciate 1
M40eye54.50
      01-28-2021, 12:42 AM   #26
Datemike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmonal View Post
i was in the same situation. i ended up ordering my m40i a few weeks ago (still waiting for it to be built).
i do think there are several features in the 2022 that i will want.
but ultimately, i decided i'd rather have my new car sooner rather than later.
At some point, you got to live life, instead of waiting for the next best thing.
Great minds think alike which features do you think you'll want from the LCI?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 03:46 PM   #27
jakek66
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M440i GC / '23 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datemike View Post
The issue is by the time details come out for the LCI in June or July, the production for 2021 would be winding down. And I don't anticipate the deal to get better than what I have already.

The only change that I could forsee missing would be the 12" display. All the exterior changes seem very focused to the lights and the grill.

I don't see anything that is functionally going to better in the LCI. They also updated the engine for MY 2021 with higher power output so no engine changes either.
But if it's anything like the 5 Series and you want Adaptive Cruise, it will be a big update. If you don't, then yeah it might be more minor.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 03:50 PM   #28
jakek66
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerforlife View Post
Yeah I like that display on the Q7 although the bottom one for climate control etc is a bit distracting or confusing? Being they are so close to each other.

I am waiting for the 2021 Audi SQ5 sportback to arrive sometime first half of this year. It will compete against the X4 and Mercedes GLC coupe. I just hope it doesn't carry over the current 2021 Q5 tablet stuck to dash design. I much prefer this integration on the Q7.
It does, it's the same as the '21 Q5 tablet screen. It's not great, I've used it and it's too far away. Audi really botched the update and should have kept the MMI controller as an option.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 05:52 PM   #29
Datemike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakek66 View Post
Quote:
The issue is by the time details come out for the LCI in June or July, the production for 2021 would be winding down. And I don't anticipate the deal to get better than what I have already.

The only change that I could forsee missing would be the 12" display. All the exterior changes seem very focused to the lights and the grill.

I don't see anything that is functionally going to better in the LCI. They also updated the engine for MY 2021 with higher power output so no engine changes either.
But if it's anything like the 5 Series and you want Adaptive Cruise, it will be a big update. If you don't, then yeah it might be more minor.
Adaptive cruise will only get enhanced with traffic jam assist I think? Which only works under 30 mph and "auto-steers". Definitely nice to have but I don't think it materially changes the usefulness of adaptive cruise for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 11:25 AM   #30
jakek66
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Adaptive cruise will only get enhanced with traffic jam assist I think? Which only works under 30 mph and "auto-steers". Definitely nice to have but I don't think it materially changes the usefulness of adaptive cruise for me.
Probably better lane-keeping too as a guess. In the past month I had been looking at the 2020 5 Series vs the 2021 and it did have some additional minor updates that added up, like the better iDrive 7 with the remote-start and digital key, a lot like what the current 3 Series has. It's all personal preference though, I still considered a 2020 5 Series for my wife since she didn't care. Ended up getting a new 3 Series though as it was a much better deal.

This past October on my car I bought a new 2020 Porsche Macan after looking at 2021 X3/X4 M40s. I wanted to wait for the LCI and the Porsche was too good of a deal to pass up at the time. Probably will order a 2022 M40i later this year. I really liked the X3 (had a 2019 30i) and miss some of the tech BMW offers over Porsche including HUD. Porsche does some amazing things and finally has a great Infotainment system, the rest isn't as high-tech like BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 11:51 AM   #31
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakek66 View Post
Quote:
Probably better lane-keeping too as a guess. In the past month I had been looking at the 2020 5 Series vs the 2021 and it did have some additional minor updates that added up, like the better iDrive 7 with the remote-start and digital key, a lot like what the current 3 Series has. It's all personal preference though, I still considered a 2020 5 Series for my wife since she didn't care. Ended up getting a new 3 Series though as it was a much better deal.

This past October on my car I bought a new 2020 Porsche Macan after looking at 2021 X3/X4 M40s. I wanted to wait for the LCI and the Porsche was too good of a deal to pass up at the time. Probably will order a 2022 M40i later this year. I really liked the X3 (had a 2019 30i) and miss some of the tech BMW offers over Porsche including HUD. Porsche does some amazing things and finally has a great Infotainment system, the rest isn't as high-tech like BMW.
LCI deliveries will be starting mid to late September, assuming you get one of the first slots.

It might be worth holding fire until the announcement, it's going to be in just over 100 days time.

Then you can decide if you like the changes, or get one of the last pre LCI, probably for cheap
Appreciate 0