BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-15-2017, 04:43 PM   #1
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Enhanced Bluetooth standard on M40i?

I think I came across a thread that said you needed the wireless charging package in order to get enhanced Bluetooth, but the dealer that I visited is telling me that enhanced Bluetooth is standard on the X3 M40i. Does anyone have some insight on this?

Also, would there be any benefit to having enhanced Bluetooth if you have the Apple Carplay option?

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2017, 05:45 PM   #2
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT, G01/F97 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamek View Post
I think I came across a thread that said you needed the wireless charging package in order to get enhanced Bluetooth, but the dealer that I visited is telling me that enhanced Bluetooth is standard on the X3 M40i. Does anyone have some insight on this?

Also, would there be any benefit to having enhanced Bluetooth if you have the Apple Carplay option?

Thanks!
Excellent question. I'd like to know the same as I forgot to order the wireless charging option.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 06:01 PM   #3
BMWDude2018
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 5.0i

Garage List
2020 X5 M50i  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2014 BMW X5 5.0ix  [0.00]
My guess, and it's only a guess, is that the enhanced BT is available as a standard feature. I think it is so because CarPlay is a software add-on that can be installed after-market. CarPlay would rely on the radios/electronics to provide enhanced BT.

Just a guess. I hope it is included as I passed on the wireless charging myself. Then again, I also passed on CarPlay because I don't need it.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 06:05 PM   #4
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep

It is confusing what enhanced BT even adds.

It sounded like that option adds an extra USB port but that doesn't have much to do with BT.

Also sounded like coding places can enable enhanced BT.

Is that some extra integration with phone book, or text messaging, or contact pictures, or music key art?? Mystery
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 08:30 PM   #5
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks!
Your dealer is WRONG. Enhanced BT comes with Wireless Charging. Otherwise you will get standard BT. I don't know why BMW doesn't just make Enhanced BT standard across the board.

Anyway, the differences between both is that Enhanced BT lets you have 2 phones connected at the same time (vs. 1), you will have two microphones in the headliner (vs 1), and you will have an extra USB port in the center armrest (vs the only one in the center console). Plus, you will then get the Office features such as text messaging and calendar, contact pics, etc.

All of this comes with the Wireless Charging. BMW doesn't make it clear and I found out the hard way.

If you intend on using an iPhone and CarPlay all the way, then your text messaging and other features will be handled through CarPlay and Siri (you will be dictating to her and she will be reading to you). You don't need Enhanced BT for this - but you will be doing all messaging through CarPlay. AFAIK, you cannot read text messages via CarPlay, but Siri will read them to you.

For me, I have two phones - one Android and one iPhone. My Android phone is my primary phone, and I have it connected as the "second" phone to my BMW. My iPhone is connected to as the "first" phone to my BMW because it needs to be connected as the first phone to use CarPlay. Since my Android is my primary phone, I use it to do text messaging and Enhanced BT will let you read the messages on the screen as well as it having it read to you. Replying will be through dictation as well. Enhanced BT lets me do this, while still having my iPhone connected if I want to listen to music through Apple Music, etc.

So, be sure you know what you will and will not get with Wireless Charging. If your dealer insists that it comes with it, then show him the price/package list that is stickied on the top of this forum that clearly shows that with the Wireless Charging package, you also get Enhanced BT.

You will not get Enhanced BT without Wireless Charging.

If you optioned your car without wireless charging, then the only way you can get Enhanced BT will be to code it. You'll get the features, but no extra mic, and no extra USB port.
Appreciate 2
Max Well4692.00
Will Pwr747.50
      12-15-2017, 08:31 PM   #6
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
Excellent question. I'd like to know the same as I forgot to order the wireless charging option.
Did you order the Ultimate Package? If so, it is included.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 08:35 PM   #7
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
Did you order the Ultimate Package? If so, it is included.
No I didn't order the Ultimate.
At that time it came with perforated seats which I don't like due to lack of side bolsters.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 10:33 PM   #8
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
Your dealer is WRONG. Enhanced BT comes with Wireless Charging. Otherwise you will get standard BT. I don't know why BMW doesn't just make Enhanced BT standard across the board.

Anyway, the differences between both is that Enhanced BT lets you have 2 phones connected at the same time (vs. 1), you will have two microphones in the headliner (vs 1), and you will have an extra USB port in the center armrest (vs the only one in the center console). Plus, you will then get the Office features such as text messaging and calendar, contact pics, etc.

All of this comes with the Wireless Charging. BMW doesn't make it clear and I found out the hard way.

If you intend on using an iPhone and CarPlay all the way, then your text messaging and other features will be handled through CarPlay and Siri (you will be dictating to her and she will be reading to you). You don't need Enhanced BT for this - but you will be doing all messaging through CarPlay. AFAIK, you cannot read text messages via CarPlay, but Siri will read them to you.

For me, I have two phones - one Android and one iPhone. My Android phone is my primary phone, and I have it connected as the "second" phone to my BMW. My iPhone is connected to as the "first" phone to my BMW because it needs to be connected as the first phone to use CarPlay. Since my Android is my primary phone, I use it to do text messaging and Enhanced BT will let you read the messages on the screen as well as it having it read to you. Replying will be through dictation as well. Enhanced BT lets me do this, while still having my iPhone connected if I want to listen to music through Apple Music, etc.

So, be sure you know what you will and will not get with Wireless Charging. If your dealer insists that it comes with it, then show him the price/package list that is stickied on the top of this forum that clearly shows that with the Wireless Charging package, you also get Enhanced BT.

You will not get Enhanced BT without Wireless Charging.

If you optioned your car without wireless charging, then the only way you can get Enhanced BT will be to code it. You'll get the features, but no extra mic, and no extra USB port.
Extremely informational and I appreciate this post! I believe I'm covered without the need for enhanced BT since I'm most interested in using Apple Car Play *BUT* one of my most valued features is the ability to play music wirelessly. Do you know if this is an option available with Car Play or will I need enhanced BT for music?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 10:46 PM   #9
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Extremely informational and I appreciate this post! I believe I'm covered without the need for enhanced BT since I'm most interested in using Apple Car Play *BUT* one of my most valued features is the ability to play music wirelessly. Do you know if this is an option available with Car Play or will I need enhanced BT for music?
You do not need Enhanced BT to play music wirelessly whether directly through the iDrive system or through CarPlay, so you are covered. Your music will come through CarPlay fine so you are good. You can just connect your iPhone through CarPlay and play whatever music app you can that supports CarPlay (Apple Music, Spotify, Google Music, Pandora, etc.)

BMW used to require Enhanced BT to stream music wirelessly years ago which may be why you thought Enhanced BT was still needed, but they eventually made it a standard feature separate from Enhanced BT.
Appreciate 1
Will Pwr747.50
      12-15-2017, 10:56 PM   #10
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You do not need Enhanced BT to play music wirelessly whether directly through the iDrive system or through CarPlay, so you are covered. Your music will come through CarPlay fine so you are good. You can just connect your iPhone through CarPlay and play whatever music app you can that supports CarPlay (Apple Music, Spotify, Google Music, Pandora, etc.)

BMW used to require Enhanced BT to stream music wirelessly years ago which may be why you thought Enhanced BT was still needed, but they eventually made it a standard feature separate from Enhanced BT.

Thanks for the clarification.
My 5 series had support for multiple phones via BT, which was kind of handy during trips.
Oh well, not the end of the world.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 11:46 PM   #11
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Quote:

THANK YOU! You are awesome and I continue to appreciate your help!
Appreciate 0