BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-30-2018, 04:43 AM   #1
sharpharp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3

BMW Dealerships remotely changing Service Intervals.... Possible Scandal???

Before I open up a Can of works and yet another BMW Scandal, I wanted to ask if anyone here has experienced the same.

I was driving in my X3 yesterday and got a call from local BMW dealership asking if I would like to book the car in for a Service.

I said, it's not even close to needing a service, while checking the Service settings showing that the next closest service requirement was an Oil Service was 6000 miles away.

The service agent says.... "Oh, ok I will update our system"... While still on the Oil Service screen, literally 5 mins later, it changes to 2250 miles left on the Oil Service.

I was thinking WTF, so my question is... Is BMW manipulating these Service requirements Over the Air / Via Connected Drive for their own financial gain?

The Oil service does not just drop like that after BMW calling about it and then saying "Oh, ok I will update our system".

Anyone else confirm this? Wish I had my camera on to capture this in Real Time....
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 09:16 AM   #2
nvestr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i - Sold

Garage List
Sounds like BMW would not be happy about this if the dealers have found a way to scam more money from the included scheduled maintenance program. Isn`t all scheduled maintenance for first 4 years paid for by BMW? IF the dealers are churning out additional maintenance within that 4 years, BMW is paying the tab...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 09:17 AM   #3
Hendoo
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: Shopping for X3 or X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpharp View Post
Before I open up a Can of works and yet another BMW Scandal, I wanted to ask if anyone here has experienced the same.

I was driving in my X3 yesterday and got a call from local BMW dealership asking if I would like to book the car in for a Service.

I said, it's not even close to needing a service, while checking the Service settings showing that the next closest service requirement was an Oil Service was 6000 miles away.

The service agent says.... "Oh, ok I will update our system"... While still on the Oil Service screen, literally 5 mins later, it changes to 2250 miles left on the Oil Service.

I was thinking WTF, so my question is... Is BMW manipulating these Service requirements Over the Air / Via Connected Drive for their own financial gain?

The Oil service does not just drop like that after BMW calling about it and then saying "Oh, ok I will update our system".

Anyone else confirm this? Wish I had my camera on to capture this in Real Time....
I sincerely doubt the local dealership has any way to alter any settings in your car remotely. I suspect the call was based on calendar time, and "updating their system" meant making a note to call you in a few months.

If it was a screw job they would have altered the "miles to go" *before* they called.

That said, I can't explain why the "miles to go" would change the way you describe.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      11-30-2018, 09:26 AM   #4
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

WTF indeed - did you call them back to check if they'd tinkered? I'd be speaking to the service manager above about that one.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 09:26 AM   #5
nvestr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i - Sold

Garage List
Isn't the onboard maintenance system supposed to adjust maintenance intervals based on your driving style? Perhaps it's pure coincidence that the system updated itself right after you checked the first time...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 09:36 AM   #6
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Even if they were "manipulating" the numbers, the issue would lie between the dealer and BMW corporate.

Oil and other maintenance is built-in "free" so why would I care if they wanted to change my oil twice a year, or my brake fluid, or plugs etc...nothing out of my pocket.

And if out of warranty, still your choice to refuse any of the automated service requests

Not sure how this could be considered a "scandal"
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 09:50 AM   #7
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Even if they were "manipulating" the numbers, the issue would lie between the dealer and BMW corporate.

Oil and other maintenance is built-in "free" so why would I care if they wanted to change my oil twice a year, or my brake fluid, or plugs etc...nothing out of my pocket.

And if out of warranty, still your choice to refuse any of the automated service requests

It's not free in UK, you have to pay for all maintenance here
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 09:53 AM   #8
sharpharp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post

In the UK, NO servicing or oil changes is included in the warranty.... Hence the incentive for them to do this when the user has to pay-up quicker than usual...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 04:51 PM   #9
mrich1353
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40I

I went to dealer for my fist oil change at 5000 miles expecting to pay out of pocket. To my surprise, based on my driving, they were able to get an interval of 5000 miles covered (I average 20K+ miles a year).
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2018, 09:00 PM   #10
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
In the US it is not possible to do that. The car does it based on your driving style.

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0