BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-16-2017, 06:11 PM   #45
BMWDAD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Porsche Macan

Macan fits my road bike w/o taking the front wheel off.

Sold my 2008 335i coupe for it.

I like the Pdk. First car I ever had w/o a stick.

Exhaust stinks. I have to go aftermarket.

I am on forum looking new at the x3 for wife vs 2017 x5
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      08-31-2017, 08:51 AM   #46
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i want one in that blue color
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 09:04 AM   #47
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDAD View Post
Macan fits my road bike w/o taking the front wheel off.

Sold my 2008 335i coupe for it.

I like the Pdk. First car I ever had w/o a stick.

Exhaust stinks. I have to go aftermarket.

I am on forum looking new at the x3 for wife vs 2017 x5
Rough call on the X5. I love it. But its about to enter the last year of its life cycle. If you're someone who cares about that kinda thing, it'll be replaced late next year.

So if ya want the latest and greatest, or at least feel like you do for a little longer than 12 months, then X3 is the way to go on that front.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 07:03 PM   #48
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDAD View Post
[Macan] Exhaust stinks. I have to go aftermarket.
Im curious; do you have Sport Exhaust or standard?
      10-06-2017, 02:13 PM   #49
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Excellent photographs of the G01 M40i, Palbay - many thanks for sharing. As an aside, not sure how close you've been able to get the model when it is stopped, but do you have any idea if the Air Breather on the M40i is an open channel? Thanks again!
Quote:
Excellent photographs of the G01 M40i, Palbay - many thanks for sharing. As an aside, not sure how close you've been able to get the model when it is stopped, but do you have any idea if the Air Breather on the M40i is an open channel? Thanks again!
Finally had a chance to get close to the Air Breathers on the G01 X3 M40i. Photo taken with flash. The Air Breather is 100% fake. Not open at the Air Breather on the fender...nor any openings in the Wheel Well behind the front wheels. Unfortunately...all for looks. Thanks much. Palbay
Attached Images

10-06-2017, 03:55 PM   #50
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palbay View Post
Finally had a chance to get close to the Air Breathers on the G01 X3 M40i. Photo taken with flash. The Air Breather is 100% fake. Not open at the Air Breather on the fender...nor any openings in the Wheel Well behind the front wheels. Unfortunately...all for looks. Thanks much. Palbay
Those bastards!

Last edited by sor; 10-06-2017 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
kozzi927.00
      10-06-2017, 04:01 PM   #51
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Thank you kindly for sharing, Palbay, and the mystery is now solved!

For some this is a non-issue, but as mentioned in previous posts in this and other threads, the Breather was one of the many aerodynamic enhancements BMW marketed under their 'BMW Efficient Dynamics' moniker ("More agility, less drag, aerodynamics"). When the AutoGefuhl Presenter indicated they were simply for looks it was a definite surprise for those of us following this design.

So this must imply that they were able to improve underbody (and other) exterior design elements to the point that the Breathers simply weren't required any longer for improving the fluid dynamics of the G01. They kept the blades, curtains, and active front air vent grills so those must still be functioning to decrease overall drag. So kudos to the engineering team for their efforts.

I guess I just would have preferred a simple smooth body look without the added decorative element once they realized it wasn't necessary, but that is purely subjective and others may prefer such.

Thanks again, Palbay!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 04:26 PM   #52
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Quote:
Quote:

For some this is a non-issue, but as mentioned in previous posts in this and other threads, the Breather was one of the many aerodynamic enhancements BMW marketed under their 'BMW Efficient Dynamics' moniker ("More agility, less drag, aerodynamics"). When the AutoGefuhl Presenter indicated they were simply for looks it was a definite surprise for those of us following this design.

So this must imply that they were able to improve underbody (and other) exterior design elements to the point that the Breathers simply weren't required any longer for improving the fluid dynamics of the G01. They kept the blades, curtains, and active front air vent grills so those must still be functioning to decrease overall drag. So kudos to the engineering team for their efforts.

I guess I just would have preferred a simple smooth body look without the added decorative element once they realized it wasn't necessary, but that is purely subjective and others may prefer such.

Thanks again, Palbay!
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks again, Palbay!
Very welcome. The Launch Material did have a diagram showing Air moving through the Air Breather. Not sure why BMW would publish that and it not line up on the car. Thanks much.
      10-06-2017, 04:30 PM   #53
ZHPsedan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 750i

Garage List
2022 BMW 750i  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks again, Palbay!

Isn't the breather going to be open on non-M40i versions?
Sucks that it's a leftover unnecessary appendage in the M40i but it's not just a tacked-on-for-looks piece either.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 08:55 PM   #54
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Those bastards!

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0