BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-14-2023, 04:07 PM   #177
AM///X3M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS 2023 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdougherty85 View Post
Anyone have a single AA midpipe and get an equal length one installed? Mike said the single sounds a bit cleaner and more refined, whereas the equal length sounds more aggressive. Think I'd be happy with either, but would be interested to hear from someone who's had both.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzbeT...1lcndhYmJ4cA==
      11-14-2023, 04:14 PM   #178
Must_Go_FASTER
formerly rdougherty85
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Comp MBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM///X3M View Post
Wasn't asking to see a clip I've already seen

What other mods are we talkin?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 04:14 PM   #179
AM///X3M
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Anyone have a single AA midpipe and get an equal length one installed? Mike said the single sounds a bit cleaner and more refined, whereas the equal length sounds more aggressive. Think I'd be happy with either, but would be interested to hear from someone who's had both.
      11-14-2023, 04:18 PM   #180
AM///X3M
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM///X3M View Post
single midpipe is def more raspy. The Equal Lenght sounds way better.
You will love the EQ midpipe.
      11-17-2023, 09:11 AM   #181
203E90
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 X3M, 15 M4

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Here's my detailed impression after adding this to my existing setup.

First, thanks again Mike for getting this all set up. Finaly got around to installing mine yesterday (unit 10-23 005 for anyone who cares). Current setup is VRSF catless DPs, EL midpipe, and non-comp muffler. BM3 E30 OTS tune with standard burble settings and Eventuri Intake. IT IS AGGRESIVE. I knew it would be with catless DPs but I wanted to change the tone up with the intention of quieting it down step by step after the install. Next I'll be testing out a few setups.

I get a little rasp at 2K until everything is really warmed up. After that, the rasp subsides slightly. Cold start with valves open is rowdy and right in the range where its raspy but more than likely, a little of that is the muffler/valves rattling. To be clear, cold start when the car was new and stock had some muffler/valve rattle and my M4 does too. Think it's just BMW mufflers.

Shifts sound like a bolt action riffle and burbles sound like a war zone lol. In my experience, burbles are much much louder and poppier when running E vs the gurgle on my 93 tune with very few pops. Same burble settings. Drone at highway speed is roughly the same as with just catless DPs (nearly none) with valves open or closed. With them closed, I'm sure it passes the wife/girlfriend test. Needless to say, I'm going to add some type of resonator option. Tomorrow I think I'm going to replace the rear section of the midpipe with the stock resonator and try that out to reduce some rasp and take the volume from 12 to 10. If that's still too much, I'll go to catted DPs and probably an Active muffler to clean up this mutt of a setup I got going on.

Overall, I like the different tone it produces a lot. It's different than the G8X EL sound. Slightly smoother and deeper. At high RPM it sounds scary. Thats the mechanical screaming sound you want people to heard if you're going all out. Around the grocery store and parent pickup, it's A LOT without cats. The fit was about a 9/10. I had 1 downpipe stud that was off by maybe an 8th of an inch lol but that's what happens when you run different brands.

SO with all that said, its worth the purchase if you want something aggressive and different BUT the same usual midpipe rules apply. If you're running catless DPs, you need a resonator in there somewhere. If you have catted/stock DPs, then this will be a big improvement over stock and probably pair extremely well with an AA muffler (as we heard in some of their video clips). Of course, the videos never capture tone, volume, and resonance/reverberation as it sounds in person but its different.

I have some interior clips from last night but it really doesn't give you any sense of the sound other than volume. After I get a resonator in there, I'll do a full video with my real camera and mics and follow up.
2007 E90 335i Sparkling Graphite Metallic
2005 E46 M3 Carbon Black Metallic | SMG | ZCP
Appreciate 5
pyo594.50
Y0jjimb0423.00
JaCole934.00
KyRoGo31.50
joebie3458.50
      11-17-2023, 09:38 AM   #182
JaCole9
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 203E90 View Post

First, thanks again Mike for getting this all set up. Finaly got around to installing mine yesterday (unit 10-23 005 for anyone who cares). Current setup is VRSF catless DPs, EL midpipe, and non-comp muffler. BM3 E30 OTS tune with standard burble settings and Eventuri Intake. IT IS AGGRESIVE. I knew it would be with catless DPs but I wanted to change the tone up with the intention of quieting it down step by step after the install. Next I'll be testing out a few setups.

I get a little rasp at 2K until everything is really warmed up. After that, the rasp subsides slightly. Cold start with valves open is rowdy and right in the range where its raspy but more than likely, a little of that is the muffler/valves rattling. To be clear, cold start when the car was new and stock had some muffler/valve rattle and my M4 does too. Think it's just BMW mufflers.

Shifts sound like a bolt action riffle and burbles sound like a war zone lol. In my experience, burbles are much much louder and poppier when running E vs the gurgle on my 93 tune with very few pops. Same burble settings. Drone at highway speed is roughly the same as with just catless DPs (nearly none) with valves open or closed. With them closed, I'm sure it passes the wife/girlfriend test. Needless to say, I'm going to add some type of resonator option. Tomorrow I think I'm going to replace the rear section of the midpipe with the stock resonator and try that out to reduce some rasp and take the volume from 12 to 10. If that's still too [...]

For my final build I’ll be looking to pair mine with an aftermarket muffler (undecided yet), active Autowerke sport catted downpipes, and BM3 93. Thanks for your input and setup.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 11:09 AM   #183
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

Shifts sound like a bolt action riffle and burbles sound like a war zone lol. In my experience, burbles are much much louder and poppier when running E vs the gurgle on my 93 tune with very few pops. Same burble settings. Drone at highway speed is roughly the same as with just catless DPs (nearly none) with valves open or closed. With them closed, I'm sure it passes the wife/girlfriend test. Needless to say, I'm going to add some type of resonator option. Tomorrow I think I'm going to replace the rear section of the midpipe with the stock resonator and try that out to reduce some rasp and take the volume from 12 to 10. If that's still too much, I'll go to catted DPs and probably an Active muffler to clean up this mutt of a setup I got going on.

Overall, I like the different tone it produces a lot. It's different than the G8X EL sound. Slightly smoother and deeper. At high RPM it sounds scary. Thats the mechanical screaming sound you want people to heard if you're going all out. Around the grocery store and parent pickup, it's A LOT without cats. The fit was about a 9/10. I had 1 downpipe stud that was off by maybe an 8th of an inch lol but that's what happens when you run different brands.

SO with all that said, its worth the purchase if you want something aggressive and different BUT the same usual midpipe rules apply. If you're running catless DPs, you need a resonator in there somewhere. If you have catted/stock DPs, then this will be a big improvement over stock and probably pair extremely well with an AA muffler (as we heard in some of their video clips). Of course, the videos never capture tone, volume, and resonance/reverberation as it sounds in person but its different.

I have some interior clips from last night but it really doesn't give you any sense of the sound other than volume. After I get a resonator in there, I'll do a full video with my real camera and mics and follow up.
Thank you for sharing

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 09:24 PM   #184
JamesinIT
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C / Z4 3.0si

Are we able to still get in on this? I have the full AA setup with the single and it’s too quiet.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 12:17 PM   #185
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesinIT View Post
Are we able to still get in on this? I have the full AA setup with the single and it’s too quiet.
You can still get it, I'm honoring the price until all the pre-orders are fulfilled then its back to the regular price.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 3
      11-19-2023, 01:23 PM   #186
Must_Go_FASTER
formerly rdougherty85
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Comp MBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
You can still get it, I'm honoring the price until all the pre-orders are fulfilled then its back to the regular price.
How's the wait time looking, Mike? Not in a rush, just curious on how fast these are being made and shipped out.
Appreciate 1
JaCole934.00
      11-19-2023, 01:54 PM   #187
NoTanks52
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
How's the wait time looking, Mike? Not in a rush, just curious on how fast these are being made and shipped out.
My order was paid in full and processed on 11/2, and is still in awaiting shipment status

Last edited by NoTanks52; 11-19-2023 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
JaCole934.00
      11-19-2023, 03:59 PM   #188
Y0jjimb0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '02 E46 M3, '20 F97 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTanks52 View Post
My order was paid in full and processed on 11/2, and is still in awaiting shipment status
Same
Appreciate 1
JaCole934.00
      11-19-2023, 05:58 PM   #189
Skiddz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X4 MC

PM'd you, Mike
PAID, Mike 21 Nov 2023
Appreciate 1
JaCole934.00
      11-20-2023, 05:54 AM   #190
joebie3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 STI - 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2014 Subaru STi  [5.00]
I paid my invoice on 11/2 and looks like it's out for delivery today.
Appreciate 1
JaCole934.00
      11-20-2023, 12:35 PM   #191
203E90
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Catless Combo Update.

Made a few short clips that I've combined in to one and attached.

Since my last post, I've welded the midpipe in and it improved the sound and reduced the rasp a good bit but I didn't throw the resonator in quite yet. I figured I can test this setup out for a few days and put some clips out then throw the resonator in and get some clips then replace the stock muffler with something that isn't prone to self-destructing or swap to catted DPs and hopefully have a rasp free smooth setup.

After about 200 miles with everything welded and no cats, it's interesting. Inside with the valves closed, it's fairly normal. Outside it's got a noticeable deepness and smoothness.

With the valves open in sport or sport plus, its just amplified. Very little drone at highway speed BUT that brings me to the problem with running no cats. There's that raspy growl right at 2K RPMs. Listening to the before and after videos back to back, it was always present, just amplified now and I'm blaming the muffler for most of it. Inside you hear it very clearly coming from right above the muffler, not out the rear or near the front. Either I got baffles starting to loosen up in there or something rubbing on top.

I still want to throw a resonator in there which I will do tomorrow if the timing lines up. After that, I want to do a rear section and probably catted DPs just to get rid of some of the smell. The good news is the smell doesn't leak into the cabin so no leaks but it's got a righteous smell when I walk away after starting it to warm up in the mornings. Once I add the resonator, I'm turning the burbles down too. It's too much for my taste. I want to leave to tune alone for now so I can keep consistency through the videos. Until then, I'm riding around with the valves closed most of the time.

As for sound preference. Everyone thats heard it in person and in the videos loves it. Personally, I like OEM+ setups so OEM with more volume I guess. With this set up, once I get rid of the 2K RPM rasp, turn the burbles down, and eliminate the buzzy high RPM deceleration, I think it's perfect. Again, most of those issues are because I'm running catless DPs and a stock muffler though. Kind of limited on my resources because I'm not home and can't just swap out stuff in my garage with parts I already have. Next month I can play around more.

Clips.
2007 E90 335i Sparkling Graphite Metallic
2005 E46 M3 Carbon Black Metallic | SMG | ZCP
Appreciate 2
      11-20-2023, 12:52 PM   #192
joebie3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2014 Subaru STi  [5.00]
Quote:
Catless Combo Update.

Since my last post, I've welded the midpipe in and it improved the sound and reduced the rasp a good bit but I didn't throw the resonator in quite yet. I figured I can test this setup out for a few days and put some clips out then throw the resonator in and get some clips then replace the stock muffler with something that isn't prone to self-destructing or swap to catted DPs and hopefully have a rasp free smooth setup.

After about 200 miles with everything welded and no cats, it's interesting. Inside with the valves closed, it's fairly normal. Outside it's got a noticeable deepness and smoothness.

With the valves open in sport or sport plus, its just amplified. Very little drone at highway speed BUT that brings me to the problem with running no cats. There's that raspy growl right at 2K RPMs. Listening to the before and after videos back to back, it was always present, just amplified now and I'm blaming the muffler for most of it. Inside you hear it very clearly coming from right above the muffler, not out the rear or near the front. Either I got baffles starting to loosen up in there or something rubbing on top.

I still want to throw a resonator in there which I will do tomorrow if the timing lines up. After that, I want to do a rear section and probably catted DPs just to get rid of some of the smell. The good news is the smell doesn't leak into the cabin so no leaks but it's got a righteous smell when I walk away after starting it to warm up in the mornings. Once I add the resonator, I'm turning the burbles down too. It's too much for my taste. I want to leave to tune alone for now so I can keep consistency through the videos. Until then, I'm riding around with the valves closed most of the time.

As for sound preference. Everyone thats heard it in person and in the videos loves it. Personally, I like OEM+ setups so OEM with more volume I guess. With this set up, once I get rid of the 2K RPM rasp, turn the burbles down, and eliminate the buzzy high RPM deceleration, I think it's perfect. Again, most of those issues are because I'm running catless DPs and a stock muffler though. Kind of limited on my resources because I'm not home and can't just swap out stuff in my garage with parts I already have. Next month I can play around more.

Clips.
Did you just weld the x-pipe to the midpipe, or both the connections on both sides of the x-pipe?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 12:58 PM   #193
JaCole9
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Catless Combo Update.

I still want to throw a resonator in there which I will do tomorrow if the timing lines up. After that, I want to do a rear section and probably catted DPs just to get rid of some of the smell. The good news is the smell doesn't leak into the cabin so no leaks but it's got a righteous smell when I walk away after starting it to warm up in the mornings. [...]

Have you permanently deactivated the piped in audio?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 02:48 PM   #194
203E90
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebie3 View Post
Did you just weld the x-pipe to the midpipe, or both the connections on both sides of the x-pipe?
Welded both sides of the X pipe. Made sense at the time.
Appreciate 1
joebie3458.50
      11-20-2023, 02:51 PM   #195
203E90
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaCole9 View Post
Have you permanently deactivated the pipes in audio?
Actually no. Good idea though. I can turn it off real quick with BimmerLink.
Appreciate 1
JaCole934.00
      11-21-2023, 01:14 PM   #196
JaCole9
United_States
Rep

Look what just came in…
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
AM///X3M381.00
joebie3458.50
      11-22-2023, 05:57 AM   #197
joebie3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2014 Subaru STi  [5.00]
🥵
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-22-2023, 09:30 AM   #198
203E90
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaCole9 View Post
Look what just came in…
LET’S GOOOOOO. Sounds clips when you get everything on.
Appreciate 1
JaCole934.00