BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-11-2019, 04:03 AM   #155
Payn3y
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

I see lots of information here about how to achieve this but i'm wondering what the real life results are like? I have a 2019 M40i which obviously is suffering from the lack of exhaust sound. Has any one with a UK/EU M40i done this mod? Does it sound much better all of the time or only on startup?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 01:27 PM   #156
deladude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Maybe this was covered and I missed it, but if you want the flap always open why not use Sport Individual with the engine in sport mode? It seems like a lot less hassle, especially if you code sport individual to be the default drive mode.

This is how I'm setup for other reasons and the flap is always open. With ASD off the car is still pretty quite with the windows up but there are low key burbles all the time.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #157
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deladude View Post
Maybe this was covered and I missed it, but if you want the flap always open why not use Sport Individual with the engine in sport mode? It seems like a lot less hassle, especially if you code sport individual to be the default drive mode.

This is how I'm setup for other reasons and the flap is always open. With ASD off the car is still pretty quite with the windows up but there are low key burbles all the time.
My understanding is that the left exhaust pipe is closed during start-up (to enhance system warm up?) and I heard it's been like that for many BMW. I'm not aware the left pipe will open at start up simply by changing the drive mode to Sport.

Of course, if driving in Sport mode somehow will warm up the system quicker, and demand more exhaust capacity then the left exhaust will open sooner I guess?!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #158
deladude
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
My understanding is that the left exhaust pipe is closed during start-up (to enhance system warm up?) and I heard it's been like that for many BMW. I'm not aware the left pipe will open at start up simply by changing the drive mode to Sport.

Of course, if driving in Sport mode somehow will warm up the system quicker, and demand more exhaust capacity then the left exhaust will open sooner I guess?!
Okay you got me! I just tested it on a cold engine and the flap opened about 30 seconds after the cold-start revs dropped, so about a minute after ignition it opened. Still well before the engine was actually warmed up though.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 01:34 PM   #159
lo_cheng
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Just pull the fuse 203 , drove around for a bit, seem like there is no differ in comfort mode after pull the fuse.
Only differ is startup . I did couple times, and confirm with the fuse pulled, both side are active at startup. But other than that, there is no real differ.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 01:48 PM   #160
johnnj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo_cheng View Post
Just pull the fuse 203 , drove around for a bit, seem like there is no differ in comfort mode after pull the fuse.
Only differ is startup . I did couple times, and confirm with the fuse pulled, both side are active at startup. But other than that, there is no real differ.
I think it's really just noticeable on a cold start. Not really louder to me, but a slightly deeper note.

Once you start leaning on the gas the flap would open anyway, so while driving I wouldn't expect much of a difference.

'07 328xi wagon, '10 528xi, '11 X5 35, '13 X5 35, '16 X5 35, '19 X2 28
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 02:49 PM   #161
lo_cheng
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I end up putting the fuse back in.
Because I see no differ in sound driving around in comfort mode.
All it does is have a loud start up, which is not what I looking for.
The other benefit may be both side will get dirty the same way, instead of only right hand side get dirty.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 06:49 AM   #162
BMW-Noob
Registered
Rep

I agree, the car is definitely louder at start up but I dont notice a real difference during normal driving
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 09:42 AM   #163
london_v
Second Lieutenant
Rep

There's no difference between this mod and always driving in sport mode. The only difference is start up sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 09:59 AM   #164
lo_cheng
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Anyone know if the flap is open when the Engine setting is in Sport mode?
e.g. If I set Sport individual to Sport Eng, but everything etc Comfort, Does the flap open?

my way of thinking is similar to Auto Stop / Star. In Sport individual, even if everything is set to Comfort, the ASS will be disable.

Do we know if the FLAP work the same way?
      04-30-2019, 03:37 PM   #165
london_v
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Anyone know if the flap is open when the Engine setting is in Sport mode?
e.g. If I set Sport individual to Sport Eng, but everything etc Comfort, Does the flap open?

my way of thinking is similar to Auto Stop / Star. In Sport individual, even if everything is set to Comfort, the ASS will be disable.

Do we know if the FLAP work the same way?
Correct. I use Sport individual with engine set to sport and everything else to comfort and this opens the flap. However, even with this setting, the flap will only open shortly after start up, as opposed to always open which is what this thread is all about.

I plugged the fuse back into my car as I'll be getting an exhaust mod done soon and would like the option of a switchable sounds.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 11:18 AM   #166
TX3M
Car guy
Rep

Quote:
The other benefit may be both side will get dirty the same way, instead of only right hand side get dirty.
I have to disagree. I experimented with the fuse pull, and the exhaust noise is definitely louder in comfort mode when the fuse is pulled because both flaps are always open. With the fuse in, the left flap always remains closed in Comfort mode. Try it on the highway and you should notice it right away.

I drive mostly in Sport, but I decided to leave the fuse in so I have the option for less exhaust noise (and no pops and crackles) in Comfort when I feel like it.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 11:36 AM   #167
fricfracfrank
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3M View Post
Quote:
I have to disagree. I experimented with the fuse pull, and the exhaust noise is definitely louder in comfort mode when the fuse is pulled because both flaps are always open. With the fuse in, the left flap always remains closed in Comfort mode. Try it on the highway and you should notice it right away.

I drive mostly in Sport, but I decided to leave the fuse in so I have the option for less exhaust noise (and no pops and crackles) in Comfort when I feel like it.
Does it have any effect on sound when driving in sport mode or is it just a change when in comfort?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 01:50 PM   #168
TX3M
Car guy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fricfracfrank View Post
Does it have any effect on sound when driving in sport mode or is it just a change when in comfort?
The only possible effect in Sport and Sport Plus is this:
The left exhaust flap is usually, but not always, open in Sport and Sport Plus. According to what I read in the other thread on this topic (check this forum and you should find it), the ECU decides under what engine load and temp the left flap is open.

If you remove the fuse or code the left flap to stay open, then it's open ALL the time in ALL modes. The ECU no longer decides for you, and you lose the ability to have the left flap closed in Comfort mode when you need some quiet time.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 02:10 PM   #169
M4 GTS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 02M3 19X3M40 on order 21 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by london_v View Post
Correct. I use Sport individual with engine set to sport and everything else to comfort and this opens the flap. However, even with this setting, the flap will only open shortly after start up, as opposed to always open which is what this thread is all about.

I plugged the fuse back into my car as I'll be getting an exhaust mod done soon and would like the option of a switchable sounds.
What kind of exhaust mode you are doing? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 02:17 PM   #170
LimiX4m40
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw x4m40i

Quote:
Quote:
The left exhaust flap is usually, but not always, open in Sport and Sport Plus. According to what I read in the other thread on this topic (check this forum and you should find it), the ECU decides under what engine load and temp the left flap is open.

If you remove the fuse or code the left flap to stay open, then it's open ALL the time in ALL modes. The ECU no longer decides for you, and you lose the ability to have the left flap closed in Comfort mode when you need some quiet time.
It does not make a lot of more sound, for me.. without the opf and with the rigth mapping it sound much better
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 02:19 PM   #171
london_v
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4 GTS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by london_v View Post

What kind of exhaust mode you are doing? Thanks
Not sure I follow? Sport Ind with everything set to comfort other than engine which is set to Sport. Sometimes I switch steering to sport too as I quite like the feel of a firmer wheel.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 03:18 PM   #172
M4 GTS
Lieutenant
Rep

This
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 03:24 PM   #173
lo_cheng
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4 GTS View Post
This
What kind of mod you doing?
      05-03-2019, 03:33 PM   #174
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Quiet time? Who wants that?

I love all the pops and bangs. Wish a good aftermarket exhaust would come out...

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 03:41 PM   #175
M4 GTS
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What kind of mod you doing?
I'm not. This was question for London_V
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 03:48 PM   #176
Swampman
Swampman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40 - Glacier Silver

I have had fuse out for a couple of months now along with active sound coded off in cabin. Natural exhaust sound in comfort mode with no pops and gurgles. Only that sound in sport and sport +
Appreciate 2