BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-04-2021, 09:48 AM   #133
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias1431 View Post
Good to know. I thought the HK option did have a RAM, but I guess I was remembering wrong.
They do, if you have idrive 7:

idrive 6+hk: NBT_EVO Headunit, ASD, AMPTOP
idrive 7+hk: MGU Headunit, RAM, ALEV3 Booster
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2021, 04:37 PM   #134
Oli Twist
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 120i Coupe, 330d, 540iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
I've spoken to at least 6 UK based people on here (myself included) who have had the issue, and some like me have had success in using the PUMA case number to aid in replacement. As well as ISTA seeing the thrown "booster no connection" error aswell.
Hey,
So this sorted your bass problem out?
What's the PUMA case/process?
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 12:56 AM   #135
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli Twist View Post
Quote:
I've spoken to at least 6 UK based people on here (myself included) who have had the issue, and some like me have had success in using the PUMA case number to aid in replacement. As well as ISTA seeing the thrown "booster no connection" error aswell.
Hey,
Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli Twist View Post
Quote:
Hey,
Cheers
Yup, told them the subwoofers were dropping out, and put a print out of the puma case in the car. They put in a request with bmw to authorise the request and a few weeks later once the party turned up all sorted
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2021, 03:10 AM   #136
XxDanoxX
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Yup, told them the subwoofers were dropping out, and put a print out of the puma case in the car. They put in a request with bmw to authorise the request and a few weeks later once the party turned up all sorted
.... Or you might have to rant and rave at BMW UK until they agree to replace it.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2021, 06:12 AM   #137
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

So for you guys that have had the booster replaced, did you all have the Bass dropping out?

My G02 was built in Sept 20 which falls into the date range for faulty Boosters but I can't say I've experienced a full bass drop out. It just sounds sh1t.

When I first picked the car up, I thought that there was no base at all but after cranking up the EQ, I got something out of it although there is no real dollop of bass until I get past 60% volume.

I've used a stethoscope to listen to the underseat woofers and there IS sound coming out of them. Muddy is a good way to describe it, not clean at all.

I have the Mexico made 7E7 booster and I ran some diags on the car over the weekend. I don't have the fault code B7F480.

I do have 2 other faults logged for the amp though, B7F500 and D6D416.

So my dilemma is that if I take in to BMW to look at 'poor bass' - they are unlikely to change the booster or find a fault at all.

The problem is, all of this is subjective and without listening to another 'affected' system side by side, mine could be working fine, it's that its just not that great.

Never had this problem with HK in other BMW's though so its a bit of a bugger that it is so noticeably poor on the G02

EDITED TO ADD

I've just been out and disconnected the booster and tried it - ewww, that does sound awful. No bass at all. So it looks like my booster is working - it's just not as good as other HK systems I've had.

Oh, and my booster was manufactured Week 37 2020

Rukka

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87

Last edited by Rukka; 03-05-2021 at 06:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 07:58 AM   #138
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukka View Post
So for you guys that have had the booster replaced, did you all have the Bass dropping out?

My G02 was built in Sept 20 which falls into the date range for faulty Boosters but I can't say I've experienced a full bass drop out. It just sounds sh1t.

When I first picked the car up, I thought that there was no base at all but after cranking up the EQ, I got something out of it although there is no real dollop of bass until I get past 60% volume.

I've used a stethoscope to listen to the underseat woofers and there IS sound coming out of them. Muddy is a good way to describe it, not clean at all.

I have the Mexico made 7E7 booster and I ran some diags on the car over the weekend. I don't have the fault code B7F480.

So my dilemma is that if I take in to BMW to look at 'poor bass' - they are unlikely to change the booster or find a fault at all.

The problem is, all of this is subjective and without listening to another 'affected' system side by side, mine could be working fine, it's that its just not that great.

Never had this problem with HK in other BMW's though so its a bit of a bugger that it is so noticeably poor on the G02

EDITED TO ADD

I've just been out and disconnected the booster and tried it - ewww, that does sound awful. No bass at all. So it looks like my booster is working - it's just not as good as other HK systems I've had.

Rukka
You'll have a B7F480 fault code now though that it's been unplugged!
Appreciate 1
Rukka2628.00
      03-05-2021, 02:27 PM   #139
Nickhub
Private
England
Rep

My car is back at the stealers on Monday for another try as I have no (or very low) sound from the subs even though I have the new amp, will be interesting to see if they can improve it ...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 12:04 AM   #140
XxDanoxX
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

EDITED TO ADD

Rukka
This was basically my story. I stood my ground although had to complain to BMW UK first.
Appreciate 1
Rukka2628.00
      03-06-2021, 05:39 AM   #141
plagm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d 2021, 430d 2017, X1 20D

Quote:

EDITED TO ADD

i

Rukka
its probably easier to listen to a slightly older car were the HK is working at the dealers and then decide if yours is inferior. you can also then drag out a tech to witness it.
Appreciate 1
Rukka2628.00
      03-08-2021, 05:26 AM   #142
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDanoxX View Post
This was basically my story. I stood my ground although had to complain to BMW UK first.
Thanks for this.

I actually thought for the first time over the weekend, that I heard the bass drop out completely. I rewound the track in case it was part of the song but couldn't replicate it Trouble I have at the minute is that I'm not in the car for more than 20 mins at a time so can't really get a good 'feel' for it.

I'll be off on a bigger run this weekend so I'll see what happens. I'd like to categorically hear the bass drop before I book it in so it puts me in a stronger position.

Thanks for your help thus far

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 10:54 AM   #143
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

@Rukka - do you have a fault code reader / ista?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 01:44 PM   #144
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
@Rukka - do you have a fault code reader / ista?
I have a fault code reader but not ISTA

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 06:42 AM   #145
XxDanoxX
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for this.

I actually thought for the first time over the weekend, that I heard the bass drop out completely. I rewound the track in case it was part of the song but couldn't replicate it Trouble I have at the minute is that I'm not in the car for more than 20 mins at a time so can't really get a good 'feel' for it.

I'll be off on a bigger run this weekend so I'll see what happens. I'd like to categorically hear the bass drop before I book it in so it puts me in a stronger position.

Thanks for your help thus far
Instructions for confirming fault :
0 is part no. the affected part no in this thread? If so:
1 put seat back
2 turn up music just over 3/4
3 place hand just above speaker
4 if you can't feel a powerful air distortion above the speaker with the music pumping, then it's faulty.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 07:04 AM   #146
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

if you want a comparison rukka, let me know as you're not far from me
Appreciate 1
XxDanoxX126.00
      03-09-2021, 07:21 AM   #147
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That was what I was looking for as without a comparison it's all subjective.

Don't know where you are so I'll drop you a PM

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 08:56 AM   #148
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your time today buddy. Always nice to meet another forum member too.

As we established, although mine has bass so must be working, it is nowhere near as punchy as yours with the EQ set to flat.

Trip to the dealers for me then...... Will keep you posted.

Thanks again

Rukka

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 11:50 AM   #149
DanielHazelrigg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport EB-II

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for your time today buddy. Always nice to meet another forum member too.

As we established, although mine has bass so must be working, it is nowhere near as punchy as yours with the EQ set to flat.

Trip to the dealers for me then...... Will keep you posted.

Thanks again

Rukka
I took in my 2021 X3M40i that has ID7+H&K for weak bass (including completely losing bass too). Got them to follow my guidance and the provided PUMA details on the Booster as I have the affected amp, options and Sep 2020 build date).

They noted weak power output from the woofers and ordered the part. Sounds like demand is high for the replacement index part and the shipment release has been delayed to next week.

Hang in there folks, seems like the solution is a little slow but worth the wait!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 02:00 AM   #150
comber
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X4 M40i

OK, so I finally took delivery of my 2021 X4 M40i last friday, and I have already done 1300 km with it. Coming from a 2019 X3 with the 600 W HK system, now I think I can compare.

In the 2021, first impression was terrible, awful... I remember having a similar impression in the 2019, but not so bad. My mobile phone sounds better. But I said, ok, don't panic...in the 2019 changing settings and, above all, letting the speakers to stretch the legs improved things to the point of making it a really good sound system.

I started putting in the 2021 the same settings I had in the X3, and wow...big difference, but still bass was a bit missing and treble was distorted. I decided to leave those settings and wait to use it a bit more.

This week I have made two 600 km trips, using the HK all the time, at the beginning listening at low-medium volume, and increasing it gradually, kind of break-in. In first trip bass has improved A LOT, it was finally present and very deep, and you could feel the subwoofers at any volume. Treble was still strange. I was making some changes to the settings and it improved another little.

In second trip, subwoofers have definitely woken up, to the point that I am thinking on reducing a bit bass settings if they increase more, which I don't think, and treble finally has cleaned up.

My conclusion is that I think this new system is maybe less powerful, as the volume setting now has to be higher in the iDrive to have the same amount of sound, but has more quality. I listen to FLAC music, and sound is definitely cleaner in the 2021. It was really good in the 2019, but in this, bass is much cleaner, mid-range is cleaner as well, and treble at the moment isn't, but it has improved a lot in the last 100 km so I expect that these tweeters are still in break-in period.

Also say that I have ASD coded off since day one, that surely helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 03:01 AM   #151
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by comber View Post
OK, so I finally took delivery of my 2021 X4 M40i last friday, and I have already done 1300 km with it. Coming from a 2019 X3 with the 600 W HK system, now I think I can compare.

In the 2021, first impression was terrible, awful... I remember having a similar impression in the 2019, but not so bad. My mobile phone sounds better. But I said, ok, don't panic...in the 2019 changing settings and, above all, letting the speakers to stretch the legs improved things to the point of making it a really good sound system.

I started putting in the 2021 the same settings I had in the X3, and wow...big difference, but still bass was a bit missing and treble was distorted. I decided to leave those settings and wait to use it a bit more.

This week I have made two 600 km trips, using the HK all the time, at the beginning listening at low-medium volume, and increasing it gradually, kind of break-in. In first trip bass has improved A LOT, it was finally present and very deep, and you could feel the subwoofers at any volume. Treble was still strange. I was making some changes to the settings and it improved another little.

In second trip, subwoofers have definitely woken up, to the point that I am thinking on reducing a bit bass settings if they increase more, which I don't think, and treble finally has cleaned up.

My conclusion is that I think this new system is maybe less powerful, as the volume setting now has to be higher in the iDrive to have the same amount of sound, but has more quality. I listen to FLAC music, and sound is definitely cleaner in the 2021. It was really good in the 2019, but in this, bass is much cleaner, mid-range is cleaner as well, and treble at the moment isn't, but it has improved a lot in the last 100 km so I expect that these tweeters are still in break-in period.

congratulations on finally getting your car! i remember we ordered around the same time, and boy that was a wait for you! but you've almost caught up to me in mileage already haha ( darn lockdowns... )
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 03:19 AM   #152
comber
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Quote:
congratulations on finally getting your car! i remember we ordered around the same time, and boy that was a wait for you! but you've almost caught up to me in mileage already haha ( darn lockdowns... )
Haha yes...we are locked down here as well, but "fortunately" my company is in Barcelona, and I live almost 600 km away from there, so instead of taking high speed train I prefer to drive my car, and as I go to Barcelona every other week, I will enjoy this wonderful engine a lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 03:48 AM   #153
XxDanoxX
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by comber View Post

So glad you finally have your car - it was painful to listen to your seemingly hopeless situation!

You have also done way more miles than me! Due to lock down I'm on less than 500 miles since December.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 04:53 AM   #154
comber
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Thank you! I will take the car to dealer on tuesday so they finally put X4M spoiler and mirrors as well as the second hand center console I bought from a competition with the iDrive part in carbon fiber, and also put myself some other pieces I have purchased, and then I will introduce the X4 in the forum as I did with the X3.

Only thing I had time to do is some coding and changing ugly black plastic emblems in the M Sport seats into the original X4M illuminated emblems. They don't illuminate but I don't care, they are way more beautiful.
Appreciate 0