BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-14-2021, 06:35 AM   #133
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

About the GTech. Didn't want to reply to post since it would include the pictures, and I can't be arsed editing it :-)

IMHO (and it is just that) I bailed on this as complete and utter waste of time. It looked great when done, I used to do it when swapping winters and summers around. So cleaned the wheels thoroughly and applied. Let it cure overnight etc.. Took f-ing ages, but reminded me of a kid and cleaning my bike, and I got some exercise which I don't do.

Wheels looked great then, but they still get bloody dirty. I didn't find it any easier to clean then with ceramic versus without.

I hope you have a better run-time :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 07:32 AM   #134
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i LCI

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
About the GTech. Didn't want to reply to post since it would include the pictures, and I can't be arsed editing it :-)

IMHO (and it is just that) I bailed on this as complete and utter waste of time. It looked great when done, I used to do it when swapping winters and summers around. So cleaned the wheels thoroughly and applied. Let it cure overnight etc.. Took f-ing ages, but reminded me of a kid and cleaning my bike, and I got some exercise which I don't do.

Wheels looked great then, but they still get bloody dirty. I didn't find it any easier to clean then with ceramic versus without.

I hope you have a better run-time :-)
I suspect it will be the same for me but wanted to give it a go anyway. Cheaper than getting it done professionally for £250+ to end up with the same result!
      09-14-2021, 07:37 AM   #135
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by plagm View Post
hi you said its ok in comfort mode and you expect it to be bumpier in sport ? when i looked at the photo i noticed there is no adaptive button ? so do they not have it anymore and it defaults to adaptive or do you not have adaptive dampers ?
It comes with M adaptive suspension as standard
      09-14-2021, 07:51 AM   #136
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
First decent drive today, motorway and A roads. This car is freakin’ awesome! M seats are so comfortable. Used the adaptive cruise control for the first time and it’s great, so glad I got it. Once I worked out that I needed the distance to the vehicle in front set to minimum it stopped slowing when a car over taking me pulled in front of me. At first I had it set too long, so when I got overtaken my car slowed to re instigate the distance to the car now in front of me. If that makes sense?
Also used the steering assist in some slow moving traffic, felt weird just to sit there and not do anything, the car steered itself, braked to a stop and then pulled away all on its own. Just had to touch the steering wheel every so often to confirm to the car I was paying attention.

Also the basic stereo system sounds fantastic, glad I didn’t bother with the HK.

I had the anti collision aids set to minimum, I think I’ll turn them off. A couple of times the car emergency stopped when I wasn’t expecting it and it’s not very nice, for example I was just about to negotiate a mini roundabout, car coming in from the left, so my right of way and the car emergency stopped as I’m guessing it thought the car from the left was too close, which it wasn’t.

Other than that, I’m going to enjoy this car very much
      09-14-2021, 08:10 AM   #137
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun170 View Post
First decent drive today, motorway and A roads. This car is freakin’ awesome! M seats are so comfortable. Used the adaptive cruise control for the first time and it’s great, so glad I got it. Once I worked out that I needed the distance to the vehicle in front set to minimum it stopped slowing when a car over taking me pulled in front of me. At first I had it set too long, so when I got overtaken my car slowed to re instigate the distance to the car now in front of me. If that makes sense?
Also used the steering assist in some slow moving traffic, felt weird just to sit there and not do anything, the car steered itself, braked to a stop and then pulled away all on its own. Just had to touch the steering wheel every so often to confirm to the car I was paying attention.

Also the basic stereo system sounds fantastic, glad I didn’t bother with the HK.

I had the anti collision aids set to minimum, I think I’ll turn them off. A couple of times the car emergency stopped when I wasn’t expecting it and it’s not very nice, for example I was just about to negotiate a mini roundabout, car coming in from the left, so my right of way and the car emergency stopped as I’m guessing it thought the car from the left was too close, which it wasn’t.

Other than that, I’m going to enjoy this car very much
How were you able to order Driving Assistant Professional as a standalone option?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 10:23 AM   #138
plagm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d 2021, 430d 2017, X1 20D

Quote:
It comes with M adaptive suspension as standard
so adaptive is the default, ie no button and always in adaptive, unlike pre lci cars where you select adaptive with a button ? makes sense, i have always wondered why i have to select adaptive, i mean why would the car default to a less sophisticated setup and let you choose to make it better...if that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 10:53 AM   #139
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by plagm View Post
so adaptive is the default, ie no button and always in adaptive, unlike pre lci cars where you select adaptive with a button ? makes sense, i have always wondered why i have to select adaptive, i mean why would the car default to a less sophisticated setup and let you choose to make it better...if that makes sense.
Is there confirmation of that?

According to a recent post based on USA BMW Genius supplied info there is no "adaptive" drive mode anymore on the X3. May well be due to chip shortage as the system description sounded very tech heavy and involves more than just adaptive suspension.

Last edited by avi66; 09-14-2021 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 11:20 AM   #140
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post

According to a recent post based on USA BMW Genius supplied info there is no "adaptive" drive mode anymore on the X3. May well be due to chip shortage as the system description sounded very tech heavy and involves more than just adaptive suspension.
It's still listed as on option on mdecoder as "S2VF Adaptive M Chassis" so it looks like it's been automated for LCI models.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 12:13 PM   #141
SeaZoobies
Lol - What?
Rep
Drives: '22 X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
"I’ve said I’m now going to look at an Audi SQ5 to put some pressure on them but in reality the Audi is more expensive and doesn’t have the spec I want."

Nice one - that SHOULD hit the spot. Keep us posted?

When it comes to re-sell you won't regret the LCI? Better residuals compared with non?
Just seeing this now for whatever reason.

Audi was horrible to me. Three locations.

Somehow couldn't give me a lower number then though the msrp of the Audi was like 10k cheaper than the X4. Blew my mind. I walked out and laughed.
      09-14-2021, 12:30 PM   #142
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike4A View Post
It's still listed as on option on mdecoder as "S2VF Adaptive M Chassis" so it looks like it's been automated for LCI models.
On my spec S2VF is "M Adaptive Suspension" which is not the same as Adaptive Drive Mode. S2VF is just the electronic damper bit.

How hard would it be for BMW just to say it's either been removed or it's now activated in a different way ?

Overview

The "ADAPTIVE" mode is used for the first time in the BMW 7 Series. It is designed to achieve a balanced driving mode where the setup is automatically adapted to both the driving situation and the driving style.

In this mode, the parameters of the Electronic Damper Control (VDP), the Electric Active Roll Stabilization (EARS), Electronic Power Steering (EPS) and the automatic transmission, for example, are switched between "COMFORT", "SPORT" and “ECO PRO” settings depending on the driving situation. However, when "ADAPTIVE" mode is active, no changes that restrict comfort (seat heating, A/C settings, etc.) are made in the event of switching to "ECO PRO" mode.

"ADAPTIVE" reacts to the current driving style. The affected control units can change their parameters on the basis of the detected driving style.

With the navigation system, the mode makes use of the available map data and optimizes "ADAPTIVE" Mode by predictive functions such as early reaction to bends, junctions and road type.

The displays on the instrument cluster and Central Information Display (CID) remain in normal" mode and do not continuously change between "COMFORT" and "SPORT" modes. This is to prevent the driver from being distracted or lose comfort by changes in the displays. "ADAPTIVE" mode changes the modes in the background so that the driver does not notice the changes directly.

The following influences on the driving style are taken into account, among others:
• Longitudinal dynamics
• Current speed
• Pedal sensor position
• Cruise control (sensor data from ACC radar sensor)
• Sport shift gate for automatic transmission
• Turn indicator
• Steering wheel movements
• Navigation data

Quote:
Adaptive Mode

If ADAPTIVE driving mode has been activated via the driving experience switch, the Dynamic Stability Control unit processes the navigation data to analyses the route and influences the driving program to be activated if necessary. If the vehicle is approaching a sharp bend at high speed, for example, the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) activates Sport mode without any action on the part of the driver. The Vertical Dynamics Platform (VDP) reads in this information and activates the corresponding chassis components for Sport mode.

Conversely, an automatic change in driving program from Sport to Comfort is also possible. If the vehicle exits a twisting section of road through which it has been driven at speed and then drives at constant speed on a straight section, this results in automatic change over to the Comfort driving program. This means that the optimum driving mode with respect to comfort (Comfort) and driving dynamics (Sport) is automatically set without manual operation of the driving experience switch depending on the driving style and probable route. Route guidance need not be activated for this.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 01:33 PM   #143
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
Quote:
How were you able to order Driving Assistant Professional as a standalone option?
Mines a 40i where it’s still an option. Only removed on 20’s.

Last edited by Shaun170; 09-14-2021 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 01:35 PM   #144
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post

There are an awful lot of differences between U.S spec and UK spec cars.
      09-14-2021, 02:29 PM   #145
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
There are an awful lot of differences between U.S spec and UK spec cars.
I don't think the core tech and main options are that different. Many common option numbers. There may be market-specific options, elements to meet local regulations etc.

I asked BMW UK direct about Adaptive Drive in the LCI, compared to pre-LCI, but nothing ever came back. Was Dynamic Drive Mode different in the US and UK on the pre LCI ?

New 4 Series Grande Coupe' with M Sport Suspension console showing "Adaptive"
Attached Images

Last edited by avi66; 09-14-2021 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 03:54 PM   #146
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Mines a 40i where it's still an option. Only removed on 20's.
I thought you could only get it as part of the Tech Plus pack though? That's how I had to order it.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 05:28 PM   #147
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
Quote:
I thought you could only get it as part of the Tech Plus pack though? That's how I had to order it.
No it’s a stand alone option. Driving Assistant Professional
Attached Images

09-20-2021, 08:38 AM   #148
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Just received a reply from BMW UK about the Adaptive Drive Mode option.

Basically, I enquired how this was engaged on the LCI version compared to pre-LCI i.e. was it now automatic and enabled all the time.

The response states "Thanks for your patience.

I'm afraid the Adaptive Drive Mode is no longer available."

So make of that what you will.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 12:11 PM   #149
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
The illuminated M seat badges that I ordered last week at my stealers came in today.

20 second job to fit on each seat. Passenger side was much harder to pull out than the drivers side but got there in the end using a trim tool.

These are just in situ for now but will be illuminated very shortly, I’m just waiting for the correct OEM female connector for the rear of the badge to get sent to me. I’ll be tapping into the ambiance light circuit under the seat. They will then illuminate on unlock and then stay on unlike the M cars where they fade out.
Attached Images

D69GMB474.50
Keefy1655.50
      11-02-2021, 02:20 AM   #150
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The illuminated M seat badges that I ordered last week at my stealers came in today.

20 second job to fit on each seat. Passenger side was much harder to pull out than the drivers side but got there in the end using a trim tool.

These are just in situ for now but will be illuminated very shortly, I’m just waiting for the correct OEM female connector for the rear of the badge to get sent to me. I’ll be tapping into the ambiance light circuit under the seat. They will then illuminate on unlock and then stay on unlike the M cars where they fade out.
Is it possible to connect them in same way as on X3M?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 04:00 AM   #151
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
Quote:
Is it possible to connect them in same way as on X3M?
Not sure yet. I’ll probably try and take the seat back off to give better access. There might be X3M connections hidden in there somewhere but I’m not holding out much hope as although they look the same (except for the centre panel stitching design) they are not X3M seats. X3M seats have the badge connection wired into the headrests through the headrest ‘legs’ not sure what you’d call them! and that wire then connects somewhere in the seat, so in theory there could be a connection in the seat and apart from the stitching it’s only the headrest that is different from the M seat.
      11-02-2021, 06:19 AM   #152
nthrash94
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Quote:

These look awesome. Do you have a link where you bought these at??
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 11:13 AM   #153
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nthrash94 View Post
These look awesome. Do you have a link where you bought these at??
Main dealer, part number 52108745038
      11-25-2021, 08:49 AM   #154
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
So unfortunately today we drew a blank on getting the seat badges to illuminate.

Took the seat back off the drivers seat (easy to do) and there was no connection sitting there up near the base of the headrest leg to plug into. That’s what I was hoping for anyway.

On to the second option, which was to tap into the rear footwell lighting circuit to get the badges to light up that way. Well that didn’t work either. There are 4 wires going to the under seat light. Two wires are for the ambient light and then two others are for the white footwell light. Now the voltage to the light only changes a tiny amount when the door is opened / closed and the light goes on and off. This suggests that it is more like a data line and not a simple on off to power the lights. This suggests that the light itself has a micro processor in it to tell the light to come on and off when the door is opened / closed. The head rest badge only has two pins, suggesting that this is ultimately connected to a module somewhere under the seat and that is what decides if the headrest badges should be on or off.

Plus, connecting to the footwell light circuit wouldn’t give the correct operation as the white light only comes on when the door is opened and I wanted the headrest badges to operate on unlock as per the X3M and then fade to off after a short time.

Onto option 3. This is how the interior roof lights work. They come on on unlock and fade to off after a short time. So we removed one of the rear passenger roof interior lights to look at the connections to see if that was viable to tap into and we found the same sort of wiring, four wires going into the light. A 12v permanent supply, an earth and then two 5v lives that only changed a tiny bit when the light was on or off. Again suggesting that these were data wires to a micro processor in the light unit.

So ultimately clever old BMW have made it pretty impossible to just tap into any of the lighting circuits.

So stumped at the moment. Some more research needed to try and find the module that an X3M’s headrest badges would connect to in order to get the badges illuminated.

Bit disappointing really.