BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-24-2022, 11:22 AM   #89
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjCoke View Post
I do not agree. Legally it can be true what you are saying, but you must be agreeing with me that the way BMW is treating the early adopters of the iX3 is not acceptable as customers. The underlying technical requirements for this software addition is the same for the pre-LCI as the LCI is.

Also, when you are promising 150kWh, then it shouldn't be crippled to 22kWh in the winter, without any warning about this issue. The promised charging curve is crippled in the winter. But if you are making a formal argument, then you are right, they are usually saying that the charging curve may be not reached due to weather. So we are screwed and did not do my research. I had to know apparently that BMW is taking care of their customers in this fashion...

So then it is acceptable that the pre-LCI is sold to customers without letting them know that this charging curve will not be reached in the winter and that coldgating is part of the package?

Is it then acceptable that only months later we get a LCI which is technically the same but with the features we can expect for EV's at that price range? And also more importantly, just weeks after i bought the car without telling me that this "new" version of car would arrive? Is that really fair?
Whether it is fair or good customer service is a completely different matter to the vehicle being mis-sold. People here are talking about reporting the company to Trading Standards in the UK for mis-selling the vehicle. It has not been mis-sold as this feature was never promised.

Can it charge at 150kWh - yes, I achieved that last week in the UK, with an ambient temperature of about 6 degrees. So they did not tell lies to sell the vehicle. And that would be what a mis-selling case would be based around.

Would I like preconditioning? Yes I would. However, I accept that my vehicle may never have it.

If it was a simple software update, then they would roll it out to keep customers happy. Clearly it is not a simple software update to enable this feature. We don't know whether there are other changes to the vehicle hardware that make preconditioning possible with the post LCI models, but not with the pre LCI.

It is unfortunate that a new model was announced shortly after you purchased your vehicle. They have to make the announcement at some point, and it is unlucky for those who made the decision prior to that. The information about the new model would have been embargoed until the announcement date. Under normal pre-COVID circumstances, where vehicles were being delivered in 8 weeks, the announcement would have had less of an impact. However, currently with 6-8 month delivery times, it is possible for the new model to have been launched before completion of manufacture of the old model.

I am not defending BMW. I don't care about them as a company. I chose this vehicle as it was the best option available to me at the time that I ordered. Would I order one now - maybe, maybe not. There are so many more electric vehicles available than this time last year.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 11:26 AM   #90
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
She has confirmed that unfortunately it is not possible to preheat the HV battery of the BMW iX3 and that this function will also not be available.
So it appears that it cannot be done. Maybe physical changes were made to the post LCI vehicles to allow this feature to work.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 12:36 PM   #91
DjCoke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: iX3 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
Whether it is fair or good customer service is a completely different matter to the vehicle being mis-sold. People here are talking about reporting the company to Trading Standards in the UK for mis-selling the vehicle. It has not been mis-sold as this feature was never promised.

Can it charge at 150kWh - yes, I achieved that last week in the UK, with an ambient temperature of about 6 degrees. So they did not tell lies to sell the vehicle. And that would be what a mis-selling case would be based around.

Would I like preconditioning? Yes I would. However, I accept that my vehicle may never have it.

If it was a simple software update, then they would roll it out to keep customers happy. Clearly it is not a simple software update to enable this feature. We don't know whether there are other changes to the vehicle hardware that make preconditioning possible with the post LCI models, but not with the pre LCI.

It is unfortunate that a new model was announced shortly after you purchased your vehicle. They have to make the announcement at some point, and it is unlucky for those who made the decision prior to that. The information about the new model would have been embargoed until the announcement date. Under normal pre-COVID circumstances, where vehicles were being delivered in 8 weeks, the announcement would have had less of an impact. However, currently with 6-8 month delivery times, it is possible for the new model to have been launched before completion of manufacture of the old model.

I am not defending BMW. I don't care about them as a company. I chose this vehicle as it was the best option available to me at the time that I ordered. Would I order one now - maybe, maybe not. There are so many more electric vehicles available than this time last year.
Ok I understand that you feel like this.

I have driven around 35000 km’s now with this car. In the winter I have on my trips an half hour to an hour delay, due to this coldgating issue. That you didn’t experience this: good for you and I am truly happy for you. But there are other people who do expect more from this company as I do. I thought that I bought the top of the bill EV and a premium car. But an essential part of being an EV has not been implemented in this car while the update released months after the first edition has this simple software update. You cannot truly believe that BMW didn’t knew of this issue? Because otherwise they wouldn’t implement it in their update. Tesla implemented this with a software update as well. Are we really as customers going to let the BMW company getting away with this?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 02:31 PM   #92
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ok I understand that you feel like this.

I have driven around 35000 km’s now with this car. In the winter I have on my trips an half hour to an hour delay, due to this coldgating issue. That you didn’t experience this: good for you and I am truly happy for you. But there are other people who do expect more from this company as I do. I thought that I bought the top of the bill EV and a premium car. But an essential part of being an EV has not been implemented in this car while the update released months after the first edition has this simple software update. You cannot truly believe that BMW didn’t knew of this issue? Because otherwise they wouldn’t implement it in their update. Tesla implemented this with a software update as well. Are we really as customers going to let the BMW company getting away with this?
You are making the assumption that it is a simple software update.

Just because Tesla were able to enable the feature via software, it does not mean that BMW can do the same. As I stated above, maybe there is different hardware between the pre and post LCI models.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 02:41 PM   #93
DjCoke
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You are making the assumption that it is a simple software update.

Just because Tesla were able to enable the feature via software, it does not mean that BMW can do the same. As I stated above, maybe there is different hardware between the pre and post LCI models.

True, but is it acceptable from this premium EV car at that price range? The technology is in the car as it has the heat pump in the car. As far as I understand it, it is the heat pump the technology behind the preheating of the battery pack.

If they cannot program it, because of the software limitations, then it is bad design and can't we hold them responsible for that? It is for me to easy to say: oh well they can't do it, just suck it up...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 03:20 PM   #94
R_Soul
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro

There is clearly different opinions here. I have the sales brochure for my pre LCI iX3 and a copy of the video released by BMW in April 2021 about charging the iX3 - both of which imply that charging at 150 kW is achievable anytime- no mention of “temperature dependent” or anything else.

Therefore I do believe that this has been mis-sold and I intend to take action about it.

I not so naïve that I think I will get anywhere against a multi million organisation, but I will feel better for trying.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 05:27 PM   #95
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Soul View Post
There is clearly different opinions here. I have the sales brochure for my pre LCI iX3 and a copy of the video released by BMW in April 2021 about charging the iX3 - both of which imply that charging at 150 kW is achievable anytime- no mention of “temperature dependent” or anything else.

Therefore I do believe that this has been mis-sold and I intend to take action about it.

I not so naïve that I think I will get anywhere against a multi million organisation, but I will feel better for trying.
Good luck.

The box in the bottom-right corner of page 13 of both the Jan 21 and May 21 brochures clearly states “up to 150kW”.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 01:43 AM   #96
DjCoke
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Good luck.

The box in the bottom-right corner of page 13 of both the Jan 21 and May 21 brochures clearly states “up to 150kW”.
It is not that I want to have big discussion with this and I really do understand that it is no apparent problem for you.

But if bmw had sold you a car that could drive up to 150 km/h and you could only get to 22 km/h in winter, would you have accepted that? Off course I do agree that legally you are probably totally right. But reasonable expectations can be argued here that in this example you should at least be able to drive 120 km/h at any time given. For the charging problem it should be the same that you can expect the car to at least charge higher then 50 kWh at minus 0… as this is the speed considered fast charging. We only reach 22kWh at start of the charge.

Look at our buddies in Scandinavia. They are really upset…
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 01:40 AM   #97
Brheik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw ix3

Quote:
Quote:
Good luck.

It is not that I want to have big discussion with this and I really do understand that it is no apparent problem for you.

But if bmw had sold you a car that could drive up to 150 km/h and you could only get to 22 km/h in winter, would you have accepted that? Off course I do agree that legally you are probably totally right. But reasonable expectations can be argued here that in this example you should at least be able to drive 120 km/h at any time given. For the charging problem it should be the same that you can expect the car to at least charge higher then 50 kWh at minus 0… as this is the speed considered fast charging. We only reach 22kWh at start of the charge.

Look at our buddies in Scandinavia. They are really upset…
They are not. 99% we load overnight in our garage. Yes, it is irritating that it takes 10
Minutes extra until you come up to speed. But live goes on, also in Norway. That said: an battery prewarming update is highly welcome.
DjCoke7.50
      03-05-2022, 01:22 PM   #98
KSTR35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3

Up until today, I'd not seen any issue with charge speed, regardless of ambient temp etc.

However, today at an IONITY charging from 20%, the charging started at 33kwh and stayed there, no change at all. It was 8deg ambient and the car had just driven for an hour, so shouldn't have had any issues.

IONITY confirmed no issue with the charger, so no idea what caused this.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 01:37 PM   #99
pedroribeiro
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSTR35 View Post
Up until today, I'd not seen any issue with charge speed, regardless of ambient temp etc.

However, today at an IONITY charging from 20%, the charging started at 33kwh and stayed there, no change at all. It was 8deg ambient and the car had just driven for an hour, so shouldn't have had any issues.

IONITY confirmed no issue with the charger, so no idea what caused this.
most probably it was indeed a problem with the charger even though Ionity declined to confirm. Did you test the one next to it.

I just had that last week in Metz (France). blocked at 31-32kw. Changed to the one next to it as the person who was next in line hinted at a possible issue with the charger and allowed me to take his. Car went immediately to 90kw...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 02:16 AM   #100
DjCoke
Enlisted Member
Rep

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroribeiro View Post
most probably it was indeed a problem with the charger even though Ionity declined to confirm. Did you test the one next to it.

I just had that last week in Metz (France). blocked at 31-32kw. Changed to the one next to it as the person who was next in line hinted at a possible issue with the charger and allowed me to take his. Car went immediately to 90kw...
It can be the charger, but 8 degrees and 30 kwh at start is what I get as well regardless of the charger. IONITY or Fastned, or even Tesla. What was the temp at Metz en how long did you drive at 130km? That makes a difference as well. I drove in Germany at night with -5 C degrees and 1 hour at 150 kmh, it started right away at 150 kWh.

Lower dan 5 C degrees is usually 22 kwh at start. Then it varies but at least 10 minutes until some improvements. Then at least 15 min until it gets the curve depending on SOC.

Well I made a deal with BMW NL, dealer and AG. Changing my pre-LCI 2020 for an 2021 LCI without loss on the price of the pre-LCI with 40000 km on the clock. However I lose on the fiscal arrangements 2020 vs 2021 here in the Netherlands. But I am happy with the solution from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 02:41 PM   #101
pedroribeiro
Private
Rep

When selecting an HPC in MyBMW app it asks whether we want to use the predictive temp of the battery.

I need to check tomorrow in the car but this seems new!
Appreciate 1
lakmus23.50
      04-24-2022, 03:04 PM   #102
lakmus
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX3 Impressive

Quote:
When selecting an HPC in MyBMW app it asks whether we want to use the predictive temp of the battery.

I need to check tomorrow in the car but this seems new!
I don't seem to have it in the app. Which chargers you tried, Ionity? What is you current SoC?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 01:10 AM   #103
pedroribeiro
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakmus View Post
I don't seem to have it in the app. Which chargers you tried, Ionity? What is you current SoC?
just pick an HPC/CC charger.

check this post for more info: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ix3....comment_follow

I tried today to check my car apps and nothing is there. At first sight looks like just a MYBmw feature, not applicable to pre-LCI....
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 05:58 AM   #104
euro74bmw
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 (G01)

Quote:
I tried today to check my car apps and nothing is there. At first sight looks like just a MYBmw feature, not applicable to pre-LCI....
This Facebook post seems to suggest it should work for pre-LCI:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ix3....6776116095563/
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 08:03 AM   #105
euro74bmw
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro74bmw View Post
This Facebook post seems to suggest it should work for pre-LCI:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ix3....6776116095563/
It appears to work but not with all HPC chargers...weird.

I am in the UK and have a 'Premier' trim pre-LCi car.
View post on imgur.com

Last edited by euro74bmw; 04-25-2022 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 05:02 PM   #106
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro74bmw View Post
It appears to work but not with all HPC chargers...weird.

I am in the UK and have a 'Premier' trim pre-LCi car.
You are correct. I have just been playing around with the app. I have a pre LCI Premier Pro.

None of the HPC chargers appear to offer this option. Some of the DC chargers give the option, and some do not.

I primarily use the Ionity chargers when on the motorway, I have found nearby DC chargers that offer the pre-heat feature when you send them as a destination to the car. I have added them as favourites in the app. That way I can tell the car to navigate me to those chargers, and hence activate the preheating, while I actually drive to the charger I want to visit.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 02:09 AM   #107
euro74bmw
United Kingdom
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
That way I can tell the car to navigate me to those chargers, and hence activate the preheating, while I actually drive to the charger I want to visit.
Very clever!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 03:53 AM   #108
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

Interesting, I wonder if this actually works for pre-LCI cars or if it's just a quirk of the app not knowing the specific capabilities of the car?

Very difficult to tell I expect without some controlled testing.

I also get the option on my pre-LCI Prem Pro

Name:  E66541BA-30DF-45C4-9724-264E1840685A.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  77.7 KB

Last edited by supersebbo; 04-26-2022 at 04:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 05:57 AM   #109
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersebbo View Post
Interesting, I wonder if this actually works for pre-LCI cars or if it's just a quirk of the app not knowing the specific capabilities of the car?

Very difficult to tell I expect without some controlled testing.

I also get the option on my pre-LCI Prem Pro
I wondered the same. Especially following the response that DJCoke had from BMW in post #89 above: "...She has confirmed that unfortunately it is not possible to preheat the HV battery of the BMW iX3 and that this function will also not be available..."

Is there anything that appears on the dash to indicate that preheating is taking place?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 12:51 PM   #110
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Guys, where are you seeing this option? Is this in the BMW phone app? I have updated it and it does not offer this option.
Appreciate 0