BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-23-2011, 02:17 AM   #67
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

My theory for why the X3 is limited to 130 mph vs 150 is perhaps BMW doesn't want the X3 to encroach on the X5's territory. The X3 is already faster to 0-60 than the X5 35i and only .2 seconds slower than the 50i; to have the X3 be electronically limited to 150, the same as the X5 would probably make some X5 owners or potential owners uncomfortable. Not to mention the X3 is a brand new model featuring the latest tech and won't be replaced for another 6-7 years unlike the X5 which is becoming dated.

I could be wrong but I don't think my theory is that far fetched. Car companies have been known to take more extreme measures than this such as de-tuning engines when putting into lower models, who's to say they wouldn't limit the top speed, something that can be easily done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post
I've read literally 20 - 25 reviews of the X3 and almost every one says that the 35i with SAP is 150 MPH
During the boredom of the long wait for my car I searched extensively for reviews and any info about the X3, the most reviews I could find were only between 10-15.

Also I agree with the 150 mph limit for the 35i equipped with SAP, the only thing is the reviews that talk about the speed limit don't specify if this is for US or Euro speced X3s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Could be the shape of the X3. I wouldn't want to go over 120mph. Gust of wind and it's game over
To support my claim the X5 is even larger and top heavy than the X3, yet the X5 Sport & diesel are both limited to 150 even though the X5 Sport shares the same engine as the base model X5 and X3 35i.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 05:22 AM   #68
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
My theory for why the X3 is limited to 130 mph vs 150 is perhaps BMW doesn't want the X3 to encroach on the X5's territory. The X3 is already faster to 0-60 than the X5 35i and only .2 seconds slower than the 50i; to have the X3 be electronically limited to 150, the same as the X5 would probably make some X5 owners or potential owners uncomfortable. Not to mention the X3 is a brand new model featuring the latest tech and won't be replaced for another 6-7 years unlike the X5 which is becoming dated.

I could be wrong but I don't think my theory is that far fetched. Car companies have been known to take more extreme measures than this such as de-tuning engines when putting into lower models, who's to say they wouldn't limit the top speed, something that can be easily done.

During the boredom of the long wait for my car I searched extensively for reviews and any info about the X3, the most reviews I could find were only between 10-15.

Also I agree with the 150 mph limit for the 35i equipped with SAP, the only thing is the reviews that talk about the speed limit don't specify if this is for US or Euro speced X3s.

To support my claim the X5 is even larger and top heavy than the X3, yet the X5 Sport & diesel are both limited to 150 even though the X5 Sport shares the same engine as the base model X5 and X3 35i.
God knows....the wonderful (sarcastic) thing about dealing with BMW is that we can pretty much make any claim we want and it could possibly be true...b/c BMW can be so vague about certain things any claim can be true. It could very well be something as simple as some marketing nimrod said "hey...I don't want the X3 go to faster than it's big brother..nahh nahh...stick and stones..."

Really only 10-15 reviews? When did you get your X3 b/c there are dozens of reviews out there now...if you look at both read and video reviews there are so many. I think a lot have come out in the last 90 days so if you were early then make sense. I guess in most cases the reviewer and the reader (ie me) assume that it's a US spec car b/c the 35i isn't available in every country (ie the UK) However let's use BMWs brain..."if I'm vague and don't tell Edmunds or KBB which car they have, it will create a thread about why the top speed is limited on the X3 and if it's a EU or US thing"... GOT IT! Good Job BMW
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #69
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I forgot to include in my last post but here's a pic of the pirelli p7s that came with my 35i w/ SAP.

I'm not sure if I took a picture in the right location, I assume the 100V part is where you guys got the V rated tires from?

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 11:33 AM   #70
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
I forgot to include in my last post but here's a pic of the pirelli p7s that came with my 35i w/ SAP.

I'm not sure if I took a picture in the right location, I assume the 100V part is where you guys got the V rated tires from?

Yes those are V rated tires which means 149MPH.
Thanks for your upload!

Would someone else who owns an X3 without SAP upload a picture of their tire?

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #71
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Yes those are V rated tires which means 149MPH.
Thanks for your upload!

Would someone else who owns an X3 without SAP upload a picture of their tire?
Those are actually R rated - not V rated - on second thought, I don't know. I just looked at pics of the p-zeros and they also have an r following the size also, and they are supposed to be a 149 plus tire....

Last edited by fedinand; 05-23-2011 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #72
rs6655
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 X3 (MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedinand View Post
Those are actually R rated - not V rated
No.... they are V with a 100 load index.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #73
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs6655 View Post
No.... they are V with a 100 load index.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35
you are looking at the v after 100 - I'm looking at the r after the tire size (that is where I am most familiar with the speed rating going). My contis have the speed rating immediately following the tire size - but as I said in my edit, pirellis may be different because I looked at a pic of my old p zeros and they also had an r following the tire size and I know they are a max performance summer tire so I don't know… here is how the speed rating looks on my contis: (lower left corner)
Attached Images

Last edited by fedinand; 05-23-2011 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: add pic
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #74
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedinand View Post
you are looking at the v after 100 - I'm looking at the r after the tire size (that is where I am most familiar with the speed rating going).
That "R" in the tire-size designation is for "radial" construction. That vs. bias ply tires, which aren't supposed to be mixed (radial and bias) on the same car. Hench the reason for the "R" designation, as some folks replace one tire as needed.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #75
TrikinCurt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral Silver

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrikinCurt View Post
Okay, posting from the iPhone app seems to work half the time for me! My car came with v rated pirelli p7 all season. I have a 35i with SAP.

I got to 130mph and could not get it higher. I either panicked or hit the limiter. I believe the latter.
First...what iphone APP are you using? I didn't know there was one for this board...please do tell!

So you have V's huh...I'll check tomorrow when I pick up my X...in the end the tires are (to me) more of a smoking gun rather than the bullet. Isn't it amazing that even with something like top speed BMW can confuse the hell out of everyone...I mean geezzzzz....

So maybe its the case that Euro spec is 150 and US 130...it's hard to say otherwise when your experience is as you detail...but then BMW needs to either post this stuff somewhere or the people who run the reviews need to detail what spec car they have....or maybe you need to try again for us!!!
Okay, the things I do for the group. My 35i with SAP and V rated tires is electronically limited at 130mph.

Tried twice, it drives well at that speed but I have no desire to repeat again!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #76
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Okay, posting from the iPhone app seems to work half the time for me! My car came with v rated pirelli p7 all season. I have a 35i with SAP.

I got to 130mph and could not get it higher. I either panicked or hit the limiter. I believe the latter.
First...what iphone APP are you using? I didn't know there was one for this board...please do tell!

So you have V's huh...I'll check tomorrow when I pick up my X...in the end the tires are (to me) more of a smoking gun rather than the bullet. Isn't it amazing that even with something like top speed BMW can confuse the hell out of everyone...I mean geezzzzz....

So maybe its the case that Euro spec is 150 and US 130...it's hard to say otherwise when your experience is as you detail...but then BMW needs to either post this stuff somewhere or the people who run the reviews need to detail what spec car they have....or maybe you need to try again for us!!!
Okay, the things I do for the group. My 35i with SAP and V rated tires is electronically limited at 130mph.

Tried twice, it drives well at that speed but I have no desire to repeat again!
Thanks a lot for clearing that up!
Only 1 question remains now...
WHY is the X3 limited to 130MPH

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 12:11 AM   #77
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
WHY is the X3 limited to 130MPH
Have u actually experienced it hitting the limiter?
From BMW.de, vmax are as follows:

X3 20d - 210km/h (131mph)
X3 30d - 230km/h (144mph)
X3 28i - 230km/h (144mph)
X3 35i - 245km/h (153mph)

Those figs look to me like it's aerodynamic drag rather than any electronics limiting vmax. Std German spec cars come with W-rated tyres on 28i & above, with the 20d having V-rating as std.
For UK spec, both 20d & 30d comes with H-rated tyres, hence the 130mph limit. Wht's strange is even if u get the M Sport versions the vmax is still limited to 130mph. The only reason I can think of is BMW UK decided to equip all UK X3s with Winter tyres as standard, & their OE Winter tyres for EU/ROW markets are H-rated for up to 18" size.
Appreciate 0