BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-09-2020, 06:52 PM   #67
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Well this has put me off Power Stop Z23’s!

Appreciate 1
DD69461.50
      06-09-2020, 09:37 PM   #68
M40iG01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018-X3 M40i

good video! making me think if I want to save my good rotors; I better spend the $500 on OEM pads! really wish there was a good after market option
Appreciate 1
teaston10818.00
      06-09-2020, 11:16 PM   #69
DD694
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Well this has put me off Power Stop Z23's!

Very disappointing to see. Glad that they have not been available. I fear it would have been a huge mistake.

Re-reading this thread: I wonder if the problem with the Z23 version vs. the Z16 version is a different composition of the pads. I am still reluctant to be hasty about making a change, especially when the OEM pads work so well (dirt aside). I drove a loaner X3 in the past year that had non-M Sport brakes. They were terrible by comparison with the M Sport brakes in terms of pressure required to effect stopping!

Guess I will stick with stock brakes, which function superbly. My wheels and calipers are ceramic coated, so relatively easy to clean. Just not crazy about how quickly the wheels get soooo dirty!

Last edited by DD694; 06-10-2020 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: Later input from forum members
Appreciate 1
teaston10818.00
      06-09-2020, 11:30 PM   #70
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD694 View Post
Quote:
Well this has put me off Power Stop Z23's!

Very disappointing to see. Glad that they have not been available. I fear it would have been a huge mistake.

Guess I will stick with stock brakes, which function superbly. My wheels and calipers are ceramic coated, so relatively easy to clean. Just not crazy about how quickly the wheels get soooo dirty!
Wouldn't Brembo be cheaper overall and be oem quality?

Also the guy says that he prefers the power stop Z16 or Z17? Those are available and one forum member seem to be liking them this far when he expected a catastrophe.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 03:00 AM   #71
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I think I’ve worked out that EBC Redstuff pads are available for our X3 M40’s, if you look on these two pages the parts numbers for the other EBC pads are exactly the same for the 540i (with M Sport brakes) and the X3 M40i, so surely the Redstuff pads listed for the 540i will fit the X3?

https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/automoti...-2017-/1004643

https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/automoti...-2017-/1000523
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 06:37 AM   #72
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

So I asked ebc brakes direct why they're not listed for the X3 and here is the answer:

"Its really to do with specific recommendation on various vehicles

We don't recommend red for SUV type vehicles

In fact I would always recommend yellow over red for any vehicle

Red has less friction than yellow when cold moving slower or when hot

So yellow is better in every possible use

The only benefit of red is slightly lower dust at the expense of performance but all our pads are lower dust than OE

Kind regards

Andrew Bartosiak
Automotive Catalogue & Technical Data Manager
01604 583344"
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2020, 07:12 AM   #73
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So I asked ebc brakes direct why they're not listed for the X3 and here is the answer:

"Its really to do with specific recommendation on various vehicles

We don't recommend red for SUV type vehicles

In fact I would always recommend yellow over red for any vehicle

Red has less friction than yellow when cold moving slower or when hot

So yellow is better in every possible use

The only benefit of red is slightly lower dust at the expense of performance but all our pads are lower dust than OE

Kind regards

Andrew Bartosiak
Automotive Catalogue & Technical Data Manager
01604 583344"
Yellow stuff it is lol At least for front for me
Appreciate 1
teaston10818.00
      06-10-2020, 01:44 PM   #74
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheusBimmer View Post
Or if you want an even better performance pad, I've just discovered Ferodo DS2500 in our fitment!

https://www.ezt-autoteile.de/bremsen...ab-bj.-2018-va

https://www.ezt-autoteile.de/bremsen...-kw-ab-2017-ha
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 01:58 PM   #75
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Or if you want an even better performance pad, I've just discovered Ferodo DS2500 in our fitment!

hmm prob not for me haha - I'm still waiting for the brembo front brake pads to be available as I can get them for EUR 150. Alternatively Yellowstuff EBC at EUR 190 to 230. EBC I know because of the technology they use to make pads is the same as Nucap in Canada (see Chrisfix video below). Fedoro I heard from enthusiasts taking cars to the track, but I have no intention of doing that so perhaps overkill. I don't think they will have the same bite when car is cold, which is prob my priority. I guess I will have to look into it more, but on first look even the built of the Fedoro break pad structure seems a bit weak (looking at the back plate etc).

Edit: Chrisfix video of how Nucap/EBC make their break pads and why they are better structurally speaking
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 02:22 PM   #76
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

hmm prob not for me haha - I'm still waiting for the brembo front brake pads to be available as I can get them for EUR 150. Alternatively Yellowstuff EBC at EUR 190 to 230. EBC I know because of the technology they use to make pads is the same as Nucap in Canada (see Chrisfix video below). Fedoro I heard from enthusiasts taking cars to the track, but I have no intention of doing that so perhaps overkill. I don't think they will have the same bite when car is cold, which is prob my priority. I guess I will have to look into it more, but on first look even the built of the Fedoro break pad structure seems a bit weak (looking at the back plate etc).

Edit: Chrisfix video of how Nucap/EBC make their break pads and why they are better structurally speaking
Ferodo DS2500 are the best performance pads for road use, bar none, even on cold initial bite. They are constructed like race pads so no shims, chamfers or anti vibration weights, and they have thicker backing plates to reduce pad flex.

The reason they don't have R90 (or maybe DOT in US) approval is because their friction coefficient is too high, meaning there's more chance of the car behind hitting you because you stopped too fast!

Loads of people use them on the road, including many owners of BBKs. They may make noise and lots of dust though.

Last edited by teaston; 06-10-2020 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2020, 03:40 PM   #77
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Oh and don’t pay eur 150 for Brembo pads, they’re not even made by Brembo!

Appreciate 1
      06-10-2020, 05:21 PM   #78
DD694
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Finally got a response from Summit Racing to my email to them of last week, not that is of any importance to me now:

"We will be able to order those brake pads from Powerstop once they are available. Those parts numbers are not available in our system yet, but once Powerstop activates them and we are able to sell them, they can ship direct from Powerstop to you When available to order, the part numbers will come up on our website."
Appreciate 1
teaston10818.00
      06-11-2020, 04:53 PM   #79
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i

Quote:
Got to be careful with ebay sellers. This particular was being sneaky. If you read the product details, the rear ceramic pad are actually made by TRW.

Best way to know if they are really Brembo is to go to their website and check. Rarely do they mess up their own inventory. Or ask the seller the Brembo part number of said ceramic break pads, which is what any reputable seller will provide you. For example, if you check RockAuto websites, they have brembo rotors and their part numbers (at a fairly good price may I add). Yes too bad it is located in the States. The same set of brembo rotors I have found to be at least $100 usd more expensive here in Europe, even though Brembo is made in Italy...
I'm glad to see that the rotors were "UV Treated". I'd hate for my brake rotors to develop skin cancer...

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '21 X7 40i AW/Black, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 02:52 AM   #80
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ferodo DS2500 are the best performance pads for road use, bar none, even on cold initial bite. They are constructed like race pads so no shims, chamfers or anti vibration weights, and they have thicker backing plates to reduce pad flex.

The reason they don't have R90 (or maybe DOT in US) approval is because their friction coefficient is too high, meaning there's more chance of the car behind hitting you because you stopped too fast!

Loads of people use them on the road, including many owners of BBKs. They may make noise and lots of dust though.
looks like I will be going with EBC yellowpads then lol
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 02:55 AM   #81
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The Ferodos are better than Yellowstuff in every way apart from maybe a bit dustier.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 05:14 AM   #82
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The Ferodos are better than Yellowstuff in every way apart from maybe a bit dustier.
I'm more afraid of stopping too suddenly and being rear ended, now that I no longer can use my trusty rear-bumper saver on trailer hitch in Europe lol https://sparebumper.com
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 05:16 AM   #83
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm more afraid of stopping too suddenly and being rear ended, now that I no longer can use my trusty rear-bumper saver on trailer hitch in Europe lol https://sparebumper.com
The whole point of performance brake pads is to make your car stop quicker!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 05:53 PM   #84
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
on the topic of brakes, for those of you needing a replace fairly soon, have you researched upgrading to braided brake lines and corresponding brands/part numbers etc?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 06:01 PM   #85
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
on the topic of brakes, for those of you needing a replace fairly soon, have you researched upgrading to braided brake lines and corresponding brands/part numbers etc?
There’s no point, modern cars such as ours have braided lines from factory.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 09:36 PM   #86
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
There’s no point, modern cars such as ours have braided lines from factory.
as in stainless steel braided?
Appreciate 1
Alias1431806.50
      06-17-2020, 02:53 AM   #87
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There's no point, modern cars such as ours have braided lines from factory.
as in stainless steel braided?
It's been discussed before and I can't remember whether the outcome was that they are steel braided or something better like kevlar, with a rubber coating on top.

Some people said they noticed an improvement after fitting aftermarket braided hoses, but it is quite likely that the improvement was just due to the new brake fluid they also put in.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 04:32 AM   #88
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
My gut tells me the OEM lines are going to be rubber braided, not stainless braided.

On fluid change alone, I'm doubtful that this is going to increase stopping feel, unless other components were changed at the same time i.e. brakes, lines etc.
Appreciate 0