BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-05-2024, 04:02 PM   #67
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
. The only thing that changed is we got older, the NCB got longer, and the car value decreased. Go figure.
Yeah, go figure indeed. Risk decreases, price increases.

Honestly, watching some of these b*stards on these cops on the road programs where they get away with a stern telling off for driving without insurance/tax/mot/stolen/chased/caused mayhem and they get a "ban" which they ignore almost makes one want to roll the dice.

Not that I would, but it's a pisser the average Joe does the right thing and gets punished. Personally I think they deserve ... well that's not for writing :-|
Appreciate 1
Shaun1701235.00
      03-05-2024, 04:03 PM   #68
Urbi
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F06 640d

Paid insurance today

Last year was around £530

This year renewal was around over £950

Tried all comparasion websites and best offer was around £850

Called my insurance company and asked about any discount to renewal price. They lowered price to £790 and that was best I could find on the market.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 02:26 AM   #69
huggy509
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbi View Post
Paid insurance today

Last year was around £530

This year renewal was around over £950

Tried all comparasion websites and best offer was around £850

Called my insurance company and asked about any discount to renewal price. They lowered price to £790 and that was best I could find on the market.

After my initial shock of saga increasing from 560 for 3 years since 2021 to over 1400 I couldn’t get better than mid 700’s but excess was up to 900.

Spoke to Saga, adjusted my mileage, removed my business miles and increased excess for my fault claim only from 200 to 500 and I got 3 years fixed with protected no claims for 900 - I felt that was best on the table overall so renewed with them
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 02:30 AM   #70
glennbk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

I had to change to another product from my insurance company. I am required to have an app on my phone which tracks everything. My coverage is the same, but instead of paying $1600 every six months it is now $650. Yes, I have an M40i but as the agent admitted I'm low risk. I don't hotrod, drive at break neck speed, roadrage and I'm a low mileage driver.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 02:54 AM   #71
avi66
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
Yeah, go figure indeed. Risk decreases, price increases.

Honestly, watching some of these b*stards on these cops on the road programs where they get away with a stern telling off for driving without insurance/tax/mot/stolen/chased/caused mayhem and they get a "ban" which they ignore almost makes one want to roll the dice.

Not that I would, but it's a pisser the average Joe does the right thing and gets punished. Personally I think they deserve ... well that's not for writing :-|
Yup, it takes the piss

The system is broken. What’s the point of catching a guy who is already banned from driving and has no insurance, go through all the costs of a court case, to ban him for a further 2 years ! Like it’s a deterrent lol.😂
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 02:59 AM   #72
avi66
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbk View Post
I had to change to another product from my insurance company. I am required to have an app on my phone which tracks everything. My coverage is the same, but instead of paying $1600 every six months it is now $650. Yes, I have an M40i but as the agent admitted I'm low risk. I don't hotrod, drive at break neck speed, roadrage and I'm a low mileage driver.
We have similar “black box” or “tracking/telematics” insurance products here. They appear cheaper up front, until your driving data is used against you.

It’s also just as much a mystery about how this data can impact cost as the rest of opaque insurance system.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 05:04 AM   #73
MFschwifty
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW M40i  [0.00]
How does UK insurance work with the "excess" mentioned?

In the US my 6 month premium is around $760, roughly roughly £600.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 05:39 AM   #74
avi66
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFschwifty View Post
How does UK insurance work with the "excess" mentioned?

In the US my 6 month premium is around $760, roughly roughly £600.
The most common UK car insurance model is annual, which you can pay upfront of spread across the year using monthly payments,

There are different types of UK car policy excess i.e. compulsory, voluntary, and windscreen (or all glass including pano roof with some insurers).
including additional interest.

Generally, the more excess you agree to pay, the lower your annual premium, but it may not be by very much, so it's about finding the sweet spot.

Usually, the combined compulsory and voluntary excess on an X3 is around £500-£1k I would guess, and the windscreen/glass is around £100 for a glass replacement or £20 for a repair. But, you don't need to agree to a voluntary excess amount when you buy the policy.

If you have an at-fault claim the insurer will usually require payment of the appropriate excess upfront. You will also lose some of your no-claims bonus ( unless protected) if you make an at-fault claim that isn't windscreen/glass. Hence the importance of pano roof glass being covered under windscreen, which does not affect your no claims bonus, and is a lower excess amount.

Sometimes even if your claim is not your fault, the insurer may ask you to pay the excess upfront and reimburse you later.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2024, 07:11 AM   #75
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i LCI

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [8.83]
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I’m dreading my renewal in June by the looks of some of these quotes. I’m getting a Ghost2 immobiliser fitted next week so hoping that will reduce the insurance, appreciate that it costs to have the immobiliser installed so have to be aware of the cost of that verses the possible discount on insurance but this will hopefully help each year. Plus I get the peace of mind that the car will be virtually impossible to steal unless it’s towed or I’m forced to give over the button sequence.
I’ll also be retired in June so will be able to knock commuting off of the use so just SDP
2022 X3 M40i LCI. Brooklyn Grey Metallic. Driving Assistant Professional. Black with Blue Stitching Vernasca Leather M Seats. Comfort Pack. Pano Roof. OEM Carbon Fibre Interior Trim. 22” Vossen HF-5’s in satin bronze. Lots and lots more………
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 07:25 AM   #76
avi66
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun170 View Post
I’m dreading my renewal in June by the looks of some of these quotes. I’m getting a Ghost2 immobiliser fitted next week so hoping that will reduce the insurance, appreciate that it costs to have the immobiliser installed so have to be aware of the cost of that verses the possible discount on insurance but this will hopefully help each year. Plus I get the peace of mind that the car will be virtually impossible to steal unless it’s towed or I’m forced to give over the button sequence.
I’ll also be retired in June so will be able to knock commuting off of the use so just SDP
Which insurance offers a discount for Ghost ?

Unfortunately whilst it may be harder to drive away for a casual thief, it's just as easy to trash the car in the process.

Usually just asked if it's got an immobiliser, although some offer discounts for a tracker, although it may cost more than the discount on offer to run the tracker. Also not sure I'd want it back after a trashing.

My dashcam provider offers discounted insurance, which is mega expensive even after the discount lol.

The other funny thing is I was quoted less for SDP+Commuting that SDP by some. Hard to figure.....
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 07:49 AM   #77
Keefy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40d LCI

Garage List
Just did my new insurance premium today, got it for £850 via Elephant Insurance.
It’s not the best but given some of the quotes I’ve seen and had, I’ll take it!

I had a quote from BMW flex a few months back and that was around £1000 which I would have taken but it jumped up to £2000 which is ridiculous!
Modifications - AutoID Front Splitter. DTUK Pedalbox Plus. Gloss Black M Badges. 3d Maxpider Kuga Floor Matts & Cargo liner. BMW M-Performance Flow Through Spoiler. Mid-Trunk Spoiler. 15mm Spacers all round. AP Arch Guards. X3M Side Vents. 699M Wheels Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 07:55 AM   #78
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Interesting timing but I just got my renewal for 6 months on for my M40i in FL... $950 per 6 months... other carriers wanted $1300+ lol.

As a point of reference pre pandemic I was paying $650 per 6 months for my M2 competition - a 2 door sports car with an equal value (a class of car that is notoriously known for high rates)... this is absolutely wild. Now I pay more for an AWD family SUV... 0 tickets, claims etc, safe driver.
      03-06-2024, 07:56 AM   #79
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
having any app or drive tracking app on a vehicle that is meant for performance is absolutely wild lmao
      03-06-2024, 08:10 AM   #80
lfdal54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
having any app or drive tracking app on a vehicle that is meant for performance is absolutely wild lmao
I agree, I reject those "discounts" out of hand. Way too easy to use the statistics against you.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10582.50
      03-06-2024, 08:42 AM   #81
MFschwifty
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
The most common UK car insurance model is annual, which you can pay upfront of spread across the year using monthly payments,

There are different types of UK car policy excess i.e. compulsory, voluntary, and windscreen (or all glass including pano roof with some insurers).
including additional interest.

Generally, the more excess you agree to pay, the lower your annual premium, but it may not be by very much, so it's about finding the sweet spot.

Usually, the combined compulsory and voluntary excess on an X3 is around £500-£1k I would guess, and the windscreen/glass is around £100 for a glass replacement or £20 for a repair. But, you don't need to agree to a voluntary excess amount when you buy the policy.

If you have an at-fault claim the insurer will usually require payment of the appropriate excess upfront. You will also lose some of your no-claims bonus ( unless protected) if you make an at-fault claim that isn't windscreen/glass. Hence the importance of pano roof glass being covered under windscreen, which does not affect your no claims bonus, and is a lower excess amount.

Sometimes even if your claim is not your fault, the insurer may ask you to pay the excess upfront and reimburse you later.

Thanks for that detailed explanation Avi.

Your excess is similar to our coverage deductibles. Deductible is the amount you need to pay out upfront in the event of a claim.

Beyond the state required minimum coverage (at least in my home state of NJ, not all states are the same) you can choose different levels of deductibles for supplemental coverages like glass repair, scratch/dent/paint repair, a few different levels of roadside assistance. The higher deductible the lower your premium is.

With our fantastic Healthcare system we also have bodily injury, personal injury protection, and additional medical cost coverages included in our insurance premiums.

You can choose your personal medical insurance provider as the primary in the event of an accident to cover medical costs, which makes insurance premiums a little cheaper, but you're already paying a ridiculous amount for your Healthcare coverage to begin with.

Kind of a lose, lose situation haha
Appreciate 1
avi663499.00
      03-06-2024, 09:01 AM   #82
avi66
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefy View Post
Just did my new insurance premium today, got it for £850 via Elephant Insurance.
It’s not the best but given some of the quotes I’ve seen and had, I’ll take it!

I had a quote from BMW flex a few months back and that was around £1000 which I would have taken but it jumped up to £2000 which is ridiculous!
IIRC Elephant is the trading name of Admiral Group. It's funny certain companies seem to be more competitive on X3 at certain times. Last year Hastings was always among the best quotes on comparison sites, but it's now disappeared.

Also, just a heads up, I got the best price from Admiral direct website, and it was much better than any of the comparison sites quoted for the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 12:02 PM   #83
dangerous_al
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i G01 2020

I tried adding in commuting but it put the price up. Took it out and played with the excess.

£0 voluntary excess Aviva £540 £500 compulsory excess

£100 voluntary excess Aviva £500 £500 compulsory excess £600 total excess

£250 voluntary excess Aviva £440 £500 compulsory excess £750 total excess

£500 voluntary excess Aviva £400 £500 compulsory excess £1000 total excess

So it may be worth playing with the excess to get your price down
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 04:04 PM   #84
glennbk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
its on my cell phone, not the car
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 05:04 PM   #85
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Quote:
its on my cell phone, not the car
Yeah - but the thing is the teeny weeny ikkle accelerometers and shit in your phone give a good input to the insurance company if you're nailing it from the lights or doing donuts and shit.

If you are a sedate driver no issues, but they can use this data against you - so I'd never opt for that approach personally. Sure it gives a discount, but ...
Appreciate 1
ASAP10582.50
      03-07-2024, 06:48 AM   #86
Rbrown
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quick update. Got my renewal today from Admiral.

Wasn’t as bad as I feared. Increase of 45% to prior year and more competitive than other quotes I got.

Maybe prices are stabilising. 🤞
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 08:42 AM   #87
Keefy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40d LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
Yeah - but the thing is the teeny weeny ikkle accelerometers and shit in your phone give a good input to the insurance company if you're nailing it from the lights or doing donuts and shit.

If you are a sedate driver no issues, but they can use this data against you - so I'd never opt for that approach personally. Sure it gives a discount, but ...
You really have to watch yourself with these boxes and or insurance monitoring apps, a work colleague didn’t realise that he had to download and use one of the apps, the results were the insurance company cancelled his policy without any notification, simply because he hadn’t been using the app.
So a few things happened, firstly he was driving his car without valid insurance, second, he now has a cancelled policy under his name and lastly he has to now declare every time he applies for insurance that he’s had a policy declined and or cancelled, so his insurance premiums has went through the roof.
Modifications - AutoID Front Splitter. DTUK Pedalbox Plus. Gloss Black M Badges. 3d Maxpider Kuga Floor Matts & Cargo liner. BMW M-Performance Flow Through Spoiler. Mid-Trunk Spoiler. 15mm Spacers all round. AP Arch Guards. X3M Side Vents. 699M Wheels Gloss Black
Appreciate 1
lfdal541206.50
      03-07-2024, 09:02 AM   #88
lfdal54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefy View Post
You really have to watch yourself with these boxes and or insurance monitoring apps, a work colleague didn’t realise that he had to download and use one of the apps, the results were the insurance company cancelled his policy without any notification, simply because he hadn’t been using the app.
So a few things happened, firstly he was driving his car without valid insurance, second, he now has a cancelled policy under his name and lastly he has to now declare every time he applies for insurance that he’s had a policy declined and or cancelled, so his insurance premiums has went through the roof.
The first questions they ask when applying for auto insurance, at least in my region are: "Are you currently insured?", and "Have you ever had a policy canceled?" If you answer anything other than Yes and No in that order, you are effectively schrod.
Appreciate 0