BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-14-2021, 10:51 AM   #705
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by -JLT- View Post
I must be the oddball man out cuz I don't think the ride is so stiff and uncomfortable. I normally lower my rides so maybe I'm used to it. I wonder if these complaints are from people that never lowered their rides before
I didn't mind it either, but when I'm on the highway on a long trip I certainly don't mind the extra comfort, which is what these springs provide. It makes the adaptive suspension modes actually mean something.

And the debate as to whether the car is too harsh in stock form has been beat to death. In my opinion, the car us oversprung and underdamped. It's a problem for BMW in the last few years on several models where the suspension just doesn't have the range of adjustability that other manufacturers have been able to get out of their adaptive struts. Comfort should mean comfort, and Sport Plus should be Sport Plus.
I do agree that comfort mode should be more compliant for those that want that. as it is now, not so much
      03-14-2021, 12:49 PM   #706
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I didn't mind it either, but when I'm on the highway on a long trip I certainly don't mind the extra comfort, which is what these springs provide. It makes the adaptive suspension modes actually mean something.

And the debate as to whether the car is too harsh in stock form has been beat to death. In my opinion, the car us oversprung and underdamped. It's a problem for BMW in the last few years on several models where the suspension just doesn't have the range of adjustability that other manufacturers have been able to get out of their adaptive struts. Comfort should mean comfort, and Sport Plus should be Sport Plus.
this has been improved for G80. I test drove one and Comfort is really very comfy.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 03:23 PM   #707
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Quote:

this has been improved for G80. I test drove one and Comfort is really very comfy.
My bank account didn't want me to hear that.

So are you getting one instead of an X5M?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 09:02 PM   #708
matt9999
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X4M

Quick Q - mine has the MSS installed and obviously has been lowered. Is currently in at BMW and they are attempting to 'reinstall all software' in response to some 'software fault' that was diagnosed last week that had resulted in the car reverting to a 'reduced power mode'. I'm being told that software won't install because the lowering of the vehicle has affected the active headlights and some sensor related to these. Does any of this make sense?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 10:18 AM   #709
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt9999 View Post
Quick Q - mine has the MSS installed and obviously has been lowered. Is currently in at BMW and they are attempting to 'reinstall all software' in response to some 'software fault' that was diagnosed last week that had resulted in the car reverting to a 'reduced power mode'. I'm being told that software won't install because the lowering of the vehicle has affected the active headlights and some sensor related to these. Does any of this make sense?
Possibly - if the level sensor was damaged during the installation. However, I think you would have gotten a fault code immediately. I believe the headlights use this sensor located on the drivers side:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-15-2021, 10:29 AM   #710
spuntyb
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by floating.spirit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Quote:

Why not both?

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2021, 09:03 PM   #711
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by floating.spirit View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Why not both?
No X5M at this time, still very happy with my X3M. I really like the G80 - awesome car. I want a Brooklyn or Oxide Grey AWD G80 Comp.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2021, 07:28 PM   #712
JaeP
Private
Rep
Drives: 2025 X5 M60i coming

Quote:
Thought I'd give my thoughts after a few hundred miles and finally getting an alignment. These springs are miracle workers for this car. On the highway in comfort the car feels like a grand tourer now - extremely livable and comfortable. I haven't had one squeak, rattle or clunk.

The value of the kit is incredible especially if you DIY - the kit + alignment puts you just over 1k and transforms the car. Even if a shop does the work, it is worth it. Props to MSS and RG_Sport for the development work.
Yes thanks to RG_Sport, I got my fronts replaced and it’s been perfect since. No noise, squeak, nothing. Agree with your assessment.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13506.00
      03-16-2021, 11:19 PM   #713
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
Quote:
Thought I'd give my thoughts after a few hundred miles and finally getting an alignment. These springs are miracle workers for this car. On the highway in comfort the car feels like a grand tourer now - extremely livable and comfortable. I haven't had one squeak, rattle or clunk.

The value of the kit is incredible especially if you DIY - the kit + alignment puts you just over 1k and transforms the car. Even if a shop does the work, it is worth it. Props to MSS and RG_Sport for the development work.
Yes thanks to RG_Sport, I got my fronts replaced and it’s been perfect since. No noise, squeak, nothing. Agree with your assessment.
Thank you for the shoutout.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 03:54 AM   #714
cookiesowns
;)
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, 535i N54, X3 N55

Y’all with an older X3 and on older software should consider an update.

Like the F8X M3 further updates that came on newer MY’s got improvements. An update allows older cars to get the same behavior.

I just did mine (with special tools) and the car is vastly improved including damping.
Appreciate 2
      03-18-2021, 04:56 AM   #715
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post

Like the F8X M3 further updates that came on newer MY’s got improvements. An update allows older cars to get the same behavior.

I just did mine (with special tools) and the car is vastly improved including damping.
The key is getting the dealership to agree to update the istep. Not an easy process at most dealerships.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2021, 02:06 PM   #716
adz2k11
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

A software update improves the suspension??
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 02:46 PM   #717
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adz2k11 View Post
Quote:
Y'all with an older X3 and on older software should consider an update.

Like the F8X M3 further updates that came on newer MY's got improvements. An update allows older cars to get the same behavior.

Yes, it can be quite significant.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2021, 05:26 PM   #718
adz2k11
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Like the F8X M3 further updates that came on newer MY's got improvements. An update allows older cars to get the same behavior.

Care to explain the mechanics of how? I'm picking up my X3M next week so will review then
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 05:58 PM   #719
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Care to explain the mechanics of how? I'm picking up my X3M next week so will review then
The software changes the behavior of the adaptive struts. BMW doesn't put much time into developing the actual suspension components (in my opinion) - most of the work is done fine tuning the software.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 01:54 AM   #720
tarmactrr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Toyota Supra Twin Turbo

Finally got mine in over the weekend. Need to get an alignment this week but from the short drive I took I would say the rear is noticably softer, and the front is marginally softer. I have the updated front springs and sofar no noises of any kind. Now I just need to decide before my alignment if I want to keep it at the low setting (20mm rear 5mm front) or raise it up 1/2'' or so to keep my wife from nailing the front bumper on a curb.

Appreciate 4
      03-23-2021, 09:43 PM   #721
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmactrr View Post
Finally got mine in over the weekend. Need to get an alignment this week but from the short drive I took I would say the rear is noticably softer, and the front is marginally softer. I have the updated front springs and sofar no noises of any kind. Now I just need to decide before my alignment if I want to keep it at the low setting (20mm rear 5mm front) or raise it up 1/2'' or so to keep my wife from nailing the front bumper on a curb.

Nice!!
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 08:31 AM   #722
Antocalm
France
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC 2021

Garage List
Good morning all,

I have a very simple question. I will have the MSS spring kit installed soon on my competition x3M and I would like to know if I can directly adjust the settings to the lowest? I want a very aggressive look
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 03:52 PM   #723
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antocalm View Post
Good morning all,

I have a very simple question. I will have the MSS spring kit installed soon on my competition x3M and I would like to know if I can directly adjust the settings to the lowest? I want a very aggressive look
Not sure what you mean by "directly"...if you mean right off the bat, yes you can set the fronts all the way down but then you'd have to match the rear to be at least level. Otherwise, if you set both front and rear adjusters all the way down, the rear would be lower than the front with the revised springs I believe.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 05:31 PM   #724
tarmactrr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Nice!!
Thanks, and thanks again for the springs, the tech support, and extremely quick shipping
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13506.00
      03-24-2021, 05:47 PM   #725
tarmactrr
Private First Class
Rep

Also figured I would post this for anybody who is interested.

This is at 5mm gap on front and 20mm gap on rear on the spring height

According to the alignment tech, the camber on the front is not adjustable, so I was basically stuck with the left front being out of tolerance by .2 deg. The rears are adjustable, but I ran out of adjustment at 1.4deg. That said it was within the acceptable range.

After the alignment I did a short sprinted drive and am very happy at the handling of the springs. Still has very responsive turn in and mid corner stability, and feels a bit more planted when dealing with mid corner bumps.

Edit - I should also add the rear toe is at the minimum allowable because I asked for the reduced toe in order to try to help with tire life.

Last edited by tarmactrr; 03-24-2021 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 05:50 PM   #726
tarmactrr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by "directly"...if you mean right off the bat, yes you can set the fronts all the way down but then you'd have to match the rear to be at least level. Otherwise, if you set both front and rear adjusters all the way down, the rear would be lower than the front with the revised springs I believe.
I do find it strange that the front springs make the car essentially sit up higher at the same spring perch setting. It makes it where you can drop the rear of the car about 3/4in lower than you can drop the front.

Not sure if that was the issue with the original springs too, or a consequence of the revised springs.
Appreciate 0