BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-09-2022, 02:07 AM   #45
iX3inOz
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Sorry to hear they managed to steal your car.

It strikes me as pretty poor that the MyBMW app doesn’t allow you to set a perimeter alarm/alert for your vehicle. My 2020 Merc C300e (which was a complete POS in many ways admittedly) had a great function where I could set my home position in the Merc app and if the car was removed from a preset radius from that position (I set it at 50m) it would send an alert immediately to my mobile phone.

Seems to me that with all the GPS functionality of an iX3 that BMW could easily add this (mind you, I’m pretty sure they could also easily allow you to change the charge rate from your phone and haven’t set that up either).
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 01:24 PM   #46
modomi06
Private
Rep
Drives: IX3 LCI, i3S

Good idea, I didn't know that.
Something easier: send a message to the app whenever someone open the car.
A small flag to enable the function . No privacy problems. No battery problems
Come on BMW, you can do more !!!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 03:08 PM   #47
stefan9107
Private First Class
Rep

I just want to see fingerprint start buttons in cars. If I can have it on a £500 phone why can't I have it in a £65k car?
Appreciate 1
ThreeXi72.00
      12-13-2022, 06:00 AM   #48
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan9107 View Post
I just want to see fingerprint start buttons in cars. If I can have it on a £500 phone why can't I have it in a £65k car?
They have done away with it in many phones now. My iPhone uses facial recognition. There is already a driver alertness camera, so maybe this is a possibility.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 10:02 AM   #49
Willemb
Rep
Drives: IX3

I have the Pro version and the lease company has added an extra tracking device as this is standard by the insurance company on cars >75k euro. Don't know where they put it but it's in the car somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 03:45 PM   #50
stefan9107
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
They have done away with it in many phones now. My iPhone uses facial recognition. There is already a driver alertness camera, so maybe this is a possibility.
Well then...

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-ne...cognition-key/
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 03:36 AM   #51
iansimpson99
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Audi e-Tron

New iX3 Imminent

Hi ALl

SO my replacement iX3 should be here any day. SO the next problem is how to secure it. BMW Dont provide anything, obviously, so I have already got the steering wheel lock, and am about to choose an OBD Port protector. Quite a lot of products and different manufacturers out there.,.. HAs anyone got any advice which is best for a BMW OBD Port...?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 02:58 PM   #52
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansimpson99 View Post
…BMW Dont provide anything, obviously…
I think the insurance companies would be demanding additional protection if there was a significant problem with the iX3, or the X3 on which it is based. But they are not.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 03:54 AM   #53
sgoyal
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 M Sport Pro and I3

Any luck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansimpson99 View Post
Hi ALl

SO my replacement iX3 should be here any day. SO the next problem is how to secure it. BMW Dont provide anything, obviously, so I have already got the steering wheel lock, and am about to choose an OBD Port protector. Quite a lot of products and different manufacturers out there.,.. HAs anyone got any advice which is best for a BMW OBD Port...?
Hi Ian,

Thanks for this very useful thread and various posts. I got IX3 M sport Pro last month and would like to know recommendations for securing it as much as possible.

Have CCTV on the drive and have ordered a Faraday box to keep the keys.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 08:48 AM   #54
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

I’ve had two F30 3 series and currently have a G05 X5 - why is the iX3 more inherently desirable?

If your insurance company thinks your home address is a risk-area (or that the car is desirable), they’d insist on a tracker.

I had the BMW one fitted on the X5 as part of the order (luckily) and the insurance company insisted on a tracker, so I was OK having the tracker fitted.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 01:15 PM   #55
stefan9107
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
I’ve had two F30 3 series and currently have a G05 X5 - why is the iX3 more inherently desirable?

If your insurance company thinks your home address is a risk-area (or that the car is desirable), they’d insist on a tracker.

I had the BMW one fitted on the X5 as part of the order (luckily) and the insurance company insisted on a tracker, so I was OK having the tracker fitted.
I don't think the iX3 is any more desirable than any other expensive car to thieves. Forums tend to highlight car thefts more and make the issues look worse than they are because you see X many people that have had theirs stolen and think its a specific issue with the make and model.

There will always be certain ones that are of course, either because they are easier to steal than another model or desirable to criminals to then re-use in other crimes (Golf R's and Audi S3/RS3's were terrible for this). I don't think the iX3 falls into this category though. You've just got to take the same precautions you would with anything of a certain value. Generally speaking a WORKING faraday box is normally enough to deter most. They can't get the signal to repeat and they move on to the next car.
Appreciate 2
sahajesh2295.00
hollpe161.50
      01-03-2023, 05:56 AM   #56
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoyal View Post
Have CCTV on the drive and have ordered a Faraday box to keep the keys.
A metal biscuit tin works just as well as the Faraday boxes. And as a bonus, they are supplied full of biscuits!

I use a metal Oakley shades case. Works perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 06:00 AM   #57
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan9107 View Post
I don't think the iX3 is any more desirable than any other expensive car to thieves. Forums tend to highlight car thefts more and make the issues look worse than they are because you see X many people that have had theirs stolen and think its a specific issue with the make and model.
You are absolutely correct. There have been a couple of instances discussed here - one stolen vehicle and one stolen parts. But there doesn't appear to be a trend with the iX3 being stolen. To the best of my knowledge, the security systems are no different to the X3. As you said, if there was a problem with repeated thefts of these vehicles, the insurance or leasing companies would be insisting on the installation of trackers.
Appreciate 0