BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-17-2022, 07:43 AM   #45
Norfolkungood
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro

Laser lights come as an expensive option with the new slimmer headlamps on the IX3 sport models - they were never an option on the Premier's and they wouldn't have been fitted 'by mistake' at the factory as the original design didn't allow for them, apparently.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 09:12 AM   #46
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norfolkungood View Post
Laser lights come as an expensive option with the new slimmer headlamps on the IX3 sport models - they were never an option on the Premier's and they wouldn't have been fitted 'by mistake' at the factory as the original design didn't allow for them, apparently.
Laser lights are as option only on LCI x3/x4, premier is pre LCI with standard led and premier pro has got adaptive led lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 12:45 PM   #47
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

The premier and premier pro models never had the option of the Laser lights. This option is only available with the LCI models. The towbar was an option. However given that there were limited choices you had to take what was there I ordered mine in May 2021 and took delivery on the 31st August. I wanted the cognac upholstery with carbon black, Dealer told me that its not possible and so ended geting black upholstery.

I would also add BMW have really screwed up on the deliveries. I am not sure if there is anyone still waiting to get their Pro editions but I would not be best pleased as the LCI models have already hit the roads. Madness!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 01:42 PM   #48
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Aah my bad seems I was mistaken, teach me to trust the dealer!

Shall be looking at my receipt shortly 😂

Last edited by the_ape; 01-17-2022 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 03:01 AM   #49
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAV64 View Post
The premier and premier pro models never had the option of the Laser lights. This option is only available with the LCI models. The towbar was an option. However given that there were limited choices you had to take what was there I ordered mine in May 2021 and took delivery on the 31st August. I wanted the cognac upholstery with carbon black, Dealer told me that its not possible and so ended geting black upholstery.

I would also add BMW have really screwed up on the deliveries. I am not sure if there is anyone still waiting to get their Pro editions but I would not be best pleased as the LCI models have already hit the roads. Madness!
That's interesting. Your vehicle and spec must have been lined up for manufacture ahead of mine. I ordered in March, and it was confirmed on 1/4. At that point I had a full choice of all options. However, mine was not delivered until 8/11.

I did see in another thread that somebody who was expecting delivery in November has now been told Jan/Feb. It appears their vehicle was one of the ones actually affected by the battery problem. I guess the problem that BMW have is that every car coming off the ship is allocated to somebody, so they cannot give them a different car.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 07:25 AM   #50
EVFan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 MS Pro 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintoss View Post
I think I have just been very lucky. Spec as standard for Pro version.
I have M-Sport Pro on order in Carbon Black and I note that yours has the inverted "L" on the front bumper in Black, rather than the Blue I have seen in some photos. Can you tell me if they all come like yours (I hope so) or is it an option in the spec?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 08:05 AM   #51
keninuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVFan View Post
I have M-Sport Pro on order in Carbon Black and I note that yours has the inverted "L" on the front bumper in Black, rather than the Blue I have seen in some photos. Can you tell me if they all come like yours (I hope so) or is it an option in the spec?
The deletion of the blue accents is achieved by the selection of the option 'Frozen Grey exterior design elements'. Unfortunately it appears we are not ordering cars built to our exact requirements but being assigned vehicles that meet our needs that the dealer has ordered/been allocated.

When I ordered my vehicle it matched the colour I wanted including the Frozen Grey exterior design elements but the vehicle the dealer had allocated included a towbar which I didn't want. I think behind the scenes my dealer/BMW found someone who was allocated one without a towbar who wanted one and the swap was done prior to build/VIN assignment. My dealer did advise me they had sorted the towbar issue a few weeks after my order.

If you have a copy of your order then I believe the option you are looking for will appear as the following no cost option.

3DE Model Specific Design Elements

It appears the order is not used to build the car but the vehicle that you end up with should match your order. It is a bit backwards but you still end up with what you ordered even if the choice is somewhat limited. Probably also explains why there is currently only a choice of two pretty well specified trim levels.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 1
EVFan60.00
      01-26-2022, 01:59 AM   #52
EVFan
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the information, my order does include "Model Specific Design Elements" so hopefully it will come without the blue accents as that will save me having to have them painted.

I was the reverse of you; I ordered a car with towbar, which I wanted, but then my dealer told me that the car I had just ordered had been allocated to someone else a couple of hours before. So I had to accept a car without a towbar, or one with, but also with the laser lights, which I didn't want (to pay for anyway).
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 03:37 AM   #53
rs139
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport Pro

I ordered an M Sport Pro first week of December, was allocated one with a towbar which I don't need but the exterior/interior combination is what I want so I've accepted it.

I was first told delivery would be April, which then pushed out to May then to June and now scheduled for August.

With such a long wait, I'd also be interested to hear how others are getting on with their iX3s.

Last edited by rs139; 01-27-2022 at 03:48 AM.. Reason: Spelling mistake
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 04:31 AM   #54
ggla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 MSport Plus

I ordered first week in dec (via leasing company) and was lucky enough to take delivery of the M Sport Pro this morning. I wasn't too sure exactly what u was getting in terms of the blue exterior trim elements but most of the rest of it i was pretty sure because there arent many options to choose anyway.

For info i had "Model Specific Design Elements" in the build list and my car has no blue exterior trim, with the exception of the blue ring around the BMW badge, so im quite pleased with that.

Right im off to play with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 04:54 AM   #55
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs139 View Post
I order an M Sport Pro first week of December, was allocated one with a towbar which I don't need but the exterior/interior combination is what I want so I've accepted it.

I was first told delivery would be April, which then pushed out to May then to June and now scheduled for August.

With such a long wait, I'd also be interested to hear how others are getting on with their iX3s.
I picked mine up on Saturday (an M Sport in Carbon Black). It's my first EV and I'm really really pleased with it. I've always had BMWs for as long as I can remember and in recent years I've had F11 & G31 5 Series. The 5 series have been great, can't fault them at all.

The iX3 is right up there with the quailty of the 5 series. I'm really impressed with the fit and finish. If I was very picky there is a little bit more hard plastic here and there (bottom of the door cards) but it's not something that bothers me at all. The vast majority of the things you touch and feel are very premium.

It is fantastic to drive. The electric motor is extremely smooth, powerful and makes for a very relaxing to drive. When pressing on it handles really well, especially given it's weight and the performance is excellent. It feels far quicker than the figures would suggest.

We're off on a long trip this weekend and I'm going to do a full write up and some of my thoughts that may be of use to some folks.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 05:18 AM   #56
EVFan
Private First Class
Rep

It looks like we are all in the same boat. We can configure to our hearts content on the website but go into the dealer and they will pretty much rip that up and tell you what you can have from their allocation. I don't know if this is just some, or all, brands.

I started looking early for my replacement car because I saw that the lead-times were being extended but didn't realise quite how crazy the new car market is, and I am hoping there is not another global disaster that hits the supply chain again. Every car I looked at (they were all EV's) was in high demand and the dealers could sell just about every car their respective factories would allocate them.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 06:09 AM   #57
rs139
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggla View Post
I ordered first week in dec (via leasing company) and was lucky enough to take delivery of the M Sport Pro this morning. I wasn't too sure exactly what u was getting in terms of the blue exterior trim elements but most of the rest of it i was pretty sure because there arent many options to choose anyway.

For info i had "Model Specific Design Elements" in the build list and my car has no blue exterior trim, with the exception of the blue ring around the BMW badge, so im quite pleased with that.

Right im off to play with it.
Nice one! I ordered mine though a leasing company as well, through my work's salary sacrifice scheme. I'm resigned to getting mine in August but hoping it comes sooner!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 06:11 AM   #58
rs139
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollpe View Post
I picked mine up on Saturday (an M Sport in Carbon Black). It's my first EV and I'm really really pleased with it. I've always had BMWs for as long as I can remember and in recent years I've had F11 & G31 5 Series. The 5 series have been great, can't fault them at all.

The iX3 is right up there with the quailty of the 5 series. I'm really impressed with the fit and finish. If I was very picky there is a little bit more hard plastic here and there (bottom of the door cards) but it's not something that bothers me at all. The vast majority of the things you touch and feel are very premium.

It is fantastic to drive. The electric motor is extremely smooth, powerful and makes for a very relaxing to drive. When pressing on it handles really well, especially given it's weight and the performance is excellent. It feels far quicker than the figures would suggest.

We're off on a long trip this weekend and I'm going to do a full write up and some of my thoughts that may be of use to some folks.
It's good to hear you really like it. Like you, it'll be my first EV and I too have been driving BMWs for as long as I can remember. I had a test drive in a Premier Edition and was really impressed with it.

I look forward to reading about your long trip.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 10:00 AM   #59
ggla
Private First Class
Rep

Initial quick thoughts:

1. Love the new body style of the car compared to my pre-facelift X3, only small changes on the bumper/lights but gives it a more modern look.
2. Really like the head up display, quality is fantastic, although ive never had one before to compare to
3. Really like the smoother ride than my previous x3 m-sport pro
4. A lot less roll through corners than my last x3 - presumably due to lower centre of gravity
5. Charging networks and apps and maps are all over the place and will take some getting used to to find the right one to use, at the moment (albeit only day 1) i seem to be using 3 or 4 different apps to find different chargers
6. Chargers i tried today were a farce, 1st one was out of action (as were the other 3 in the same spot), 2nd one was blocked by roadworks so i couldnt get my car in to it, 3rd one was broken/offline, 4th one worked (podpoint, had to download app and pay) but then it kept hold of my charging cable and i had to wait 20 mins on the phone to get it out. I think ill be charging mainly at home
7. Still unsure if i want to use apple carplay or just BMW system, dont like the way it jumps between the two if apple carplay is on
8. Charging cables are bloody heavy and bulky and will no doubt annoy me but im sure ill get used to it
9. Car interior is a good improvement, only slight changes but it feels a step up.
10. Range started at 250miles, i did 82 miles today, i topped up 5kwh which the BMW app says i should have got 69 miles out of which if you do the maths should leave me with 237, but in reality the car says ive got 122 miles left. So not sure about all that but it doesnt seem like an exact science to me.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2022, 11:44 AM   #60
ggla
Private First Class
Rep

11. Assisted steering when you move over white lines was too much for me and too intrusive, I turned it off. Probably good on motorways but on roundabouts with lots of lines or narrow windy roads it kicked in too much for my linking.
12. I like opening the door without using the key button but should it lock when I get out and walk away or is that still a manual button press?
13. Does charging stop when you unlock the door, seemed to on my first charge?
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2022, 11:44 AM   #61
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
10. Range started at 250miles, i did 82 miles today, i topped up 5kwh which the BMW app says i should have got 69 miles out of which if you do the maths should leave me with 237, but in reality the car says ive got 122 miles left. So not sure about all that but it doesnt seem like an exact science to me.
You are right - it is not an exact science.

It is a bit similar to range in ICE cars. For that the car made a guesstimate of your range based on recent performance. If you spent your week around town and then got on the motorway, it would initially indicate a pretty poor range.

Until the car has done a few miles, it really is guessing what range you (personally) will be able to achieve. My car seems to have settled at around 200 miles from a full charge.

Plus there are other factors to be taken into account, such as temperature and wind speed, which can really affect an EV.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 11:57 AM   #62
ggla
Private First Class
Rep

To be fair it’s windy, rainy and 7c. Although I’m more confused as to why the charge stays on the mybmw app thought I’d get 69mi out of it, thought it would be more like 30 on a 5kw charge
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 04:06 AM   #63
RoosDK
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3, 2021

Quote:
11. Assisted steering when you move over white lines was too much for me and too intrusive, I turned it off. Probably good on motorways but on roundabouts with lots of lines or narrow windy roads it kicked in too much for my linking.
12. I like opening the door without using the key button but should it lock when I get out and walk away or is that still a manual button press?
13. Does charging stop when you unlock the door, seemed to on my first charge?
Regarding #13. Yes, it stops charging when using an AC charger, if you unlock/open a door. But will resume again when you lock the car, not sure if it will also start charging again after a while, if you do not lock it, but I believe so.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 06:42 AM   #64
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I agree with that sentiment. I turned it off as well.

When on dual carriageways and motorways I tend to use the adaptive cruise control and lane keeping assistant, which is much better at keeping the car central in the lane. It works really well on roads which are long and sweeping. I tried it on minor roads, with sharper bends - it works but can be a little jerky.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 10:19 AM   #65
jukkha156
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ix3 M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukkha156 View Post
Hi guys, great to see all your fantastic looking Ix3's. I am coming from a 530e M sport which i have had from July 2017.

I was torn between I4 M50 and Ix3 M sport Pro. Have 2 young children and as much as I really like the M50, the head says Ix3. The Pan Roof for a start makes a huge difference for long drives and the better spec overall as standard! Build date shows 04/01/22 and I have secured a Sophisco grey with black interior. It also has the laser lights and a towbar. I would have preferred a lighter interior and the blue highlights on the bodywork and possibly the mineral white colour but i couldn't get a guarantee on any other vehicles. Now the wait begins
I tracked my car via BMW Genius as original prod week should have been 04/01/22. Last week was status 1200, Monday was Status 5000 (ready for production) and today production completed I am guessing i will probably receive in the UK in May time?

I also got a completed spec sheet and it matches everything as per original spec sheet which is great news.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 05:18 AM   #66
kevinm03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp Santorini Blue

To clear up the headlight queries:

Adaptive LED means different things in different model BMW's. Just because it says adaptive, does not mean you have the high-beam trimming shown in the videos. BMW sometimes say adaptive LED for lights that just turn with the steering wheel and dont have the adaptive high-beam.

To get the adaptive high beam:
On pre-lci you must have option 552 (ICON adaptive LED)
On LCI you must have option 5AZ (laser lights)

Other adaptive LED headlights on the x3 just swivel and have normal high beam assist.

On whether it's worth it depends on your use case. I had laser lights on my G20 M340i and found them superb but I do a lot of country driving. If I did most my driving in cities or on motorways, then I would struggle to justify the cost. The light output is a step above any other car I've driven.

Previous: G20 M340i, F36 430d, Mk7 GTI PP, Mk5 GTI ED30
Appreciate 0