BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-30-2018, 10:07 PM   #45
wrussell1992
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CP

My driver side door pocket area rattles when I go over roughish terrain, not speed bumps or idling. Anyone else have this? It’s just a quick buzz but the passenger side does not have this issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 12:52 AM   #46
RegieX
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive30i, Tesla M3

so far no noise.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 10:16 AM   #47
M40iCanuck
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 m40i

I'm getting a buzz on my '18 m40i. Tough to pinpoint, but it's either the centre console / cupholder / tray area or the sunroof area. Tends to only buzz when I'm going over rougher asphalt or roads. Only started up a week or two ago.

Still a while before my first maintenance...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 10:29 AM   #48
XXX3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Trim rattle

I have an intermittent rattle from the plastic trim piece that surrounds the glass/door frame on the drivers side. At first thought it was the plastic door pocket panel, but after applying pressure while driving over rough road surfaces I narrowed it down to the plastic surround trim on upper door. I can silent the rattle by applying pressure against the trim with one hand. Other than that, cars all good.
Attached Images

2013 Boss 302 Race Red (sold)

Last edited by XXX3; 10-04-2018 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 11:51 AM   #49
wrussell1992
Private
Rep

Interesting - I tried to pinpoint and it is not the plastic trim like you mention. Still at a loss. Taking it in this weekend but not sure they will be able to fix
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 12:04 PM   #50
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrussell1992 View Post
Interesting - I tried to pinpoint and it is not the plastic trim like you mention. Still at a loss. Taking it in this weekend but not sure they will be able to fix
My M40i is in the shop today for an annoying rattle that I think is coming from the rear window shades (417). My wife's 30i is like a bank vault. Wish I knew why one unit is like a bucket of bolts and another is like noise-cancelling headphones.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22

Last edited by Yobyot; 10-23-2018 at 10:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 10:26 AM   #51
wrussell1992
Private
Rep

Following up here - my rattle was fixed. Apparently the "window regulator mount" was rattling against the door. Dealer took off the door panel and just applied some felt strips at the contact point. Seems to have solved the issue at no charge.
Appreciate 1
XXX3159.50
      10-23-2018, 10:57 AM   #52
Yobyot
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
My M40i is in the shop today for an annoying rattle that I think is coming from the rear window shades (417). My wife's 30i is like a bank vault. Wish I knew why one unit is like a bucket of bolts and another is like noise-cancelling headphones.
Well, it wasn't a rear-seat area trim rattle. Instead, the dealer had to drop the entire headliner to access a cassette in the sunroof that was the rattler. Doing so, he discovered a flaw (like a dimple) in the fixed portion of the sunroof. That's on order from Germany.

I really, really dislike having dealers disassemble major parts of my car to fix defects. The car never goes back together the way it was built at the factory and, in my experience, sometimes new issues are introduced.

Based on my experience -- and remember I own TWO G01s -- these cars are just not assembled to what BMW owners expect in terms of quality.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 12:12 AM   #53
executechs
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x3 e83 3.0lsi

Creaks and rattles?

Hello all, new here,
On this thread I heard a lot about the same things I'm getting.
I have a 2007 x3 3.0si with 120k and under the driver and passenger side under-carriage I was getting a rattle like a bad Transfer case, Transmission, or a clogged Cat.
The problem was a slightly loose o2 sensor. #1
#2 when backing up in reverse slowly only, brakes or no brakes, am getting squeak, squeak, squeak. Just replaced all four rotor and pads. The e-brake was tight so I adjusted them a little looser.
This was Driving me nuts so I jacked up the car and put on jack stands. put car in reverse, had someone give a little gas with the rear wheels spinning and using a cheap stethoscope from harbor freight found the squeak in the rear diff.
I don't feel like dropping everything to rebuild the Diff and am not sure on the procedure but I have to replace the flex and center support bearing which is not where the noise is coming from. So, I'm going to do that first and when the drive shaft is out I think I'm going to check and pack the bearing in the diff. Any suggestions? would be appreciated.
Don't forget about those 02 sensors making a racket under your Bimmer.
Good Luck all-
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 02:52 AM   #54
Legis
Private
Rep

My car built in April and with about 2500 miles on the meter has started shreaking when making small moves. For example when paralell parking and I drive forward and backwards. It sounds like the entire suspension is under enormous pressure, never had a car doing this before. Not even my 10 year old TTS. Will definitely take it in.
      10-27-2018, 11:49 AM   #55
Kulprit
Registered
Rep
Drives: G01 X3

I have this really annoying vibration type rattle which only occurs when the engine is running (idle or moving). Have it booked in for Bmw to try and diagnose the problem, hopefully they can figure it out...

Here's a link to the noise on dropbox, occurs from 13 seconds onwards;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kf7lcer3a6...%2022.mov?dl=0
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 12:35 AM   #56
supe
Rep

My wife have had her M40i for a about 8 months now and it creaks sometime when coming to a stop. it sounds similar to creaks you hear on a old pickup truck as it rocks side to side. I also sometime hear it when turning the steering while being stationary. I was guessing it was the new breaks need breaking in, but after 8 months it must be something else.

I will take it in, but I really would rather not have them mocking around under there, if i could just point them to the fix.
Did anyone else experience this, and could you share your solution?

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 01:44 AM   #57
weez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legis View Post
My car built in April and with about 2500 miles on the meter has started shreaking when making small moves. For example when paralell parking and I drive forward and backwards. It sounds like the entire suspension is under enormous pressure, never had a car doing this before. Not even my 10 year old TTS. Will definitely take it in.
That sounds like brakes. When you're making these small moves, is your foot ever so slightly on the brake with light pressure? If so, I would classify that as a normal noise.
Appreciate 1
Legis53.00
      11-06-2018, 08:37 AM   #58
Legis
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weez View Post
That sounds like brakes. When you're making these small moves, is your foot ever so slightly on the brake with light pressure? If so, I would classify that as a normal noise.
yes, once the car went back in the garage overnight the sounds disappeared. The humidity was quite high when this happened, so I think you’re right about the brakes.
      11-07-2018, 04:51 PM   #59
wafflemaker
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflemaker View Post
I thought I'd share my experience so far with a similar issue - I have a 2017 G01 x3 20d (2k kms driven).

I have noticed now that when the car is cold, that I get a prominent rattle at roughly 1,500 rpm. It seems to be coming from the dash area but I hadn't done extensive testing to work out where it was coming from (like the folding seats mentioned in this thread).

Interestingly, I had taken the car to the dealer to have a look at the issue this morning, and when I offered to show them the issue and they took the car out of the garage, someone had set the air conditioning to 27C and I wasn't able to demonstrate the issue.

Definitely seems to be related to tolerances in the dashboard somewhere and expanding/contracting parts.
Update:

In the time to get the initial rattle fixed, my car developed a sunroof rattle as well.

Both ended up being fixed by the dealer (for now).

The dash rattle was apparently due to the central air conditioning ducts hitting each other as vibrations traveled through the car so the dealer installed a bracket/brace to prevent them from hitting each other. Kind of explains why it happens when the car is cold - I assume the ducts are metal and have a gap when cold, but when the car warms up the gap closes reducing rattle.

As for the sunroof, they needed BMW Technical to get involved and they said they basically re-tightened the fittings but feels like a problem that could re-surface in the future.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 05:02 PM   #60
mjdth
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
I've got a fun one that just started around 4k miles and has been happening for about a month for us.

If you're in the driver seat and you look up to the overhead console (where you can open the sunroof etc), there's a little cover over the SOS button. If you push it in it will click and open. There's a little plastic piece hanging down that was holding the cover shut. That plastic piece rattles so loudly that I'm considering just ripping off the cover and the plastic piece that holds the cover shut.

Took forever to figure this one out btw, but if I open the SOS cover and touch the plastic piece with my finger the rattle magically goes away.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 10:12 AM   #61
RemixSkillz
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I have a very odd sounding interior rattle in my 2019 m40i. Sounds like its coming from the C pillar area or somewhere in the back. Its noticeable when going slow in and out of my driveway which is at a steep anglo. Also noticeable while driving at speed on almost all roads. Has anyone heard anything like this? I have a video of it.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 10:27 AM   #62
Yobyot
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemixSkillz View Post
I have a very odd sounding interior rattle in my 2019 m40i. Sounds like its coming from the C pillar area or somewhere in the back. Its noticeable when going slow in and out of my driveway which is at a steep anglo. Also noticeable while driving at speed on almost all roads. Has anyone heard anything like this? I have a video of it.
My MY19 M40i had something like this -- it required dropping the headliner, adjusting something in the closing mechanism and replacing the large rear glass panel (which took four weeks to arrive from Germany).

If it's this, you'd better have a great relationship with the service manager at your BMW store. They need to put their best tech on it -- the one who's both a perfectionist and happy to take his time.

Even all that work only eliminates the most annoying rattle in my M40i.

My MY18 30i is solid like a rock; but my M40i is a bucket of loose bolts.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 05:27 PM   #63
Tex94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i, Carbon Black

Garage List
I’m 756 miles into my x40i and I have just noticed an odd rattle. I’m pretty sure I have isolated it to the front passenger door. The odd thing is that it is intermittent. I leave my house very early in the AM (before 5am) and zero issues then as I drive to gym/work. When I get back in the car for the trip home however it’s rattles galore. It’s very noticeable on any slightly rough surface. Took me a little time to isolate where it is coming from but if I roll down the passenger window I don’t hear it (but it’s possible the wind noise masks it).

Any ideas why it would only happen at certain time of the day? I’ve only noticed this behavior in the last week. Could temperature fluctuations cause it? It’s about 48 in the mornings and 58 on the way home. Not sure that would cause a swing. I’ll take it in to get it checked out but I have low expectations the service department will day they heard anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 06:54 PM   #64
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex94 View Post
I'm 756 miles into my x40i and I have just noticed an odd rattle. I'm pretty sure I have isolated it to the front passenger door. The odd thing is that it is intermittent. I leave my house very early in the AM (before 5am) and zero issues then as I drive to gym/work. When I get back in the car for the trip home however it's rattles galore. It's very noticeable on any slightly rough surface. Took me a little time to isolate where it is coming from but if I roll down the passenger window I don't hear it (but it's possible the wind noise masks it).

Any ideas why it would only happen at certain time of the day? I've only noticed this behavior in the last week. Could temperature fluctuations cause it? It's about 48 in the mornings and 58 on the way home. Not sure that would cause a swing. I'll take it in to get it checked out but I have low expectations the service department will day they heard anything.
Not sure if it's related but i'd throw the first pitch with my own experience...

Have you checked the seat belt buckle and make sure it's straight? I had a rattle early on intermittently and took me a long time to figure that the rattle came from the twisted passenger seat belt buckle banging on the B pillar while the car is in motion. Once this was fixed the car was quiet again.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 06:58 PM   #65
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Mine rattled from the passenger seatbelt too, and I simply used the clip on the belt to force the buckle to sit higher where it would not rattle. You could also use adhesive felt material to remedy this if you need to let the buckle sit lower.
Appreciate 1
titomi937.00
      12-20-2018, 07:53 PM   #66
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

My replacement vehicle now has the same sunroof rattle my previous car has developed. However, it is extremely temperature sensitive. I guess I will be going back to have this fixed...again.
Appreciate 0