BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-26-2021, 03:40 AM   #45
IX3 Vines
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevz65 View Post
I'm curious to know how is everyone getting on with the range now more people have their vehicles? I have been away for 2 weeks or so, hence have not driven the car!
Hi kevz65, I am averaging 230 miles from full charge. It has been quite consistent from day one to be honest. I have been preconditioning the car in the mornings, using the heater, lights etc and had some cold driving temperatures and I haven't seen a detrimental drain on the SoC.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 03:45 AM   #46
gray1x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I'm getting between 200-220 miles. It's certainly dropped a bit with the cold weather

Was shocked when I charged to 100% the other day and it said estimated 278 miles. Never seen it that high and no idea why. Safe to say that fell pretty quickly when i started driving!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 10:50 AM   #47
Willemb
Rep
Drives: IX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IX3 Vines View Post
Taking a very simple view if you have completed 30 miles and your SoC is 81% which is basically 20% of your charge used, if you are achieving 30 miles for each 20% of battery charge you should achieve 150 miles for 100%, this seems really low considering that you have an average of 24.4kwh/100km.

What driving mode and regeneration settings were you using?

I drive to work in eco mode with adaptive regen and struggle to get above 17.5kwh/100km however I have achieved 110 miles this week and have an SoC of 55% so should therefore expect 220 miles from a 100% charge.
Same here using about 18,1kwh/100km using eco mode with adaptive regen. Now on 20 inch winter tyres about 18,7 kwh. Done over 5.000km and 70% highway. Max was 388 km and wit soc of 9% at the end.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 08:57 AM   #48
Nuno Pinto
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3

Hi Guys,
Have the car for a week, an the only time I saw the range over 400km was whn I got the car from the dealer...meanwhile...with a 80% charged battery I get a litle over 200km...My wife is disapointed and frustated....
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 09:31 AM   #49
lakmus
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX3 Impressive

I've seen following numbers at 100%:
440 km at +18'C
380 km at 0'C
330 km at -15'C

Couldn't find anything from the manual, but in 530e manual I recall it saying that it bases the range estimate to the previous 100 km consumption average. It gave ranges between 520-720 km with tank and battery full.

Using the pre conditioning seems to consume 2-5 kW (comparing what the car is stating as charging speed in the instrument cluster vs. what the charger is stating).

Pre conditioning, temperature, speed + accelerating + regeneration + coasting & rolling resistance (tyres, rain, snow, tyre pressure) affect a lot. I bumped the tyre pressures from 2.5 to 3.1 bar which seems to improve the consumption by 0,5-1,5 kWh/100km.

When it's slippery, car is also way more careful to use regen if it's set to adaptive (also I believe changing the tyre setting from summer to winter affects this).
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 05:16 AM   #50
Andy Stone
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Very unhappy with the range of my iX3

I have the same issue. I got my iX3 in December. I average a range 175 - 190 on a full charge. This is completely different from advertised.

BMW provide this calculator for supposed real range

https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/all-models/...range-charging

I should be getting 260 miles - 280 miles depending on temperature.

I am complaining strongly. I need the car to get to London from Brighton and do multiple trips around London and back. The range is the reason I bought it!

I have it booked into a main dealer for a second time to check it out. The first time all they said was it was because i was using my air conditioner and my driving style! I had it on ECO for 95% of the time!

If others are having the same problem we need to do a group complaint?
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2022, 06:51 AM   #51
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Stone View Post
I have the same issue. I got my iX3 in December. I average a range 175 - 190 on a full charge. This is completely different from advertised.

I am complaining strongly. I need the car to get to London from Brighton and do multiple trips around London and back. The range is the reason I bought it!

I have it booked into a main dealer for a second time to check it out. The first time all they said was it was because i was using my air conditioner and my driving style! I had it on ECO for 95% of the time!

My petrol and diesel cars never achieved the quoted miles per gallon figures. So I guess it isn't hugely different to that situation.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 08:12 AM   #52
t41l589
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Premier Edition Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
My petrol and diesel cars never achieved the quoted miles per gallon figures. So I guess it isn't hugely different to that situation.
I was going to say the same. In my previous F30, I could get anywhere in the region from 36- 58mpg depending on conditions and the type of driving. Convert that in to range and you're talking anywhere between 350 to 600 miles from a single tank of diesel.

The variation in EV range has been widely discussed for several years now and I was under no illusion that the BMW iX3 would be exception to that. I've had anywhere from 160 miles to 245 miles across various conditions since receiving the car in November '21. This has completely aligned to my expectations and I do not feel for one minute that there is anything wrong with the car - it's just entirely down to the nature of EV cars across the board.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 08:26 AM   #53
Lazy Lee
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Exec, BMW i3s Exec

WLTP range is advertised as a way to objectively compare range/fuel economy for cars in the same (but quite unrealistic) scenarios.
Advertising typically says in the small print that this is for comparison only and not a 'promise'.

I also have never owned a car that would even get close to the indicated range eventhough I don't have a 'lead foot' on the throttle.
My previous diesel car with 60l fuel tank and 4l/100 km of WLTP economy should have had a range of 1.500 km on a full tank. I have ventured to 1.100 kms once, but typically only got around 900 km out of it.

With 460 km of range indicated, I have to say that in autumn I was able to get up to 420 km in mixed driving. Now in winter it is more like 350-360 km.
In summer I expect to get close to the indicated range, which would be a first. And that's eventhough I'm keen to check if all 286 horses are awake regularly...

When I do lots of motorway driving I don't get to those numbers obviously. Then it's more like 300 km currently in winter, which I think is actually very reasonable, even a bit more than I counted on when I read up before ordering the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 09:34 AM   #54
EVFan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 MS Pro 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Stone View Post

You are achieving pretty much what I would expect to get from this car during December and January.
My current car has very slightly more published range than iX3, and I achieve between 170-230 miles dependent on weather conditions, and I anticipate the same from the BMW when it arrives.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 11:02 AM   #55
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVFan View Post
You are achieving pretty much what I would expect to get from this car during December and January.
My current car has very slightly more published range than iX3, and I achieve between 170-230 miles dependent on weather conditions, and I anticipate the same from the BMW when it arrives.
I fear that you will be disappointed. The i3 from the time that it was introduced 8 years ago has an excellent GuessOmeter. The GuessOmeter on the iX3 is appalling bad in a pessimistic way compared to its i3 cousin. The % range reduction in an iX3 is also more than I was used to in my 2 i3s.

I suspect that one of the reasons for the lack-lustre range in Winter in an iX3 is the lack of battery heating (that is; no pre-departure battery conditioning). That said, my iX3 arrived in July last year and 195 maximum range on the control display was the norm for some weeks.

By way of example, I have just been out on a 50 mile round trip with a fully charged battery. The outside temperature was 10C; the roads dry and no wind. I left home with the maximum range showing 205 miles. On arriving home, my battery SOC is 80% which suggests a maximum range of 250 miles. The GuessOmeter is suggesting 170 miles remain not the 200 that I would expect.

The iX3 is a great car but it lacks much of the added value of the i3 in the way of battery management.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 01:50 PM   #56
EVFan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 MS Pro 2022

The I-Pace is notorious for being relatively inefficient down to about 1.7 miles per kWh on a bad day, and I am already experiencing close to 25% reduction in actual range when the weather is bad (I don't take too much notice of the GOM) so as long as I can get an actual driving range of 160-170 days on the winter days I will have enough headroom, I am not too bothered what the upper range is on optimum days.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 02:20 PM   #57
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Lee View Post
WLTP range is advertised as a way to objectively compare range/fuel economy for cars in the same (but quite unrealistic) scenarios.
Advertising typically says in the small print that this is for comparison only and not a 'promise'.
As you say, the official test is the only way to get comparisons, in like for like conditions.

We then have to look for real world use and information from sites like EV-Database. The iX3 is rated 170 - 345miles. A wide range, just like we have had from ICE mpg figures.

https://ev-database.uk/car/1535/BMW-iX3#range

Who would a user complain to? Car maker or government's test body?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 05:39 PM   #58
iX3inOz
Rep

For those worrying about range it should definitely improve in warmer weather. I live in Australia so it’s much warmer (and more flood-y) here, but with temps averaging around 18-20 degrees celsius I’m averaging around 16kw/h/100km on the freeway at at avg of 60-70mph (100-110km zones where I live).

I’ve now got 2500km on my iX3 and there’s also been a discernible improvement in range after about 1200km - but I’m not sure if that’s a result of things “breaking in”/settling together, or as a result of me getting used to the car (probably the latter).

And for context, I’m pretty brutal with the accelerator.

Hopefully that gives some peace of mind to those in the UK/EU with range anxiety coming out of winter.

Last edited by iX3inOz; 03-20-2022 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 1
hollpe161.50
      03-21-2022, 02:16 AM   #59
Archer-s
Captain
Rep
Drives: on order

Here's a good read around winter and range, basically no electric car gets it's full range, but the BMW comes very close compared to others:

https://www.whatcar.com/news/which-e...nge-in-winter-–-and-which-is-farthest-away/n24280

EDIT - the forum app isn't liking the link, copy in the whole string to your browser, will see if I can fix it

EDIT 2 - here's a tiny url link that does work

https://************/37u777up

EDIT 3 - aaaaarggghhh tiny url is also blocked, anyone know how to fix this?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 04:03 AM   #60
ggla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 MSport Plus

https://www.whatcar.com/news/which-e...st-away/n24280
Appreciate 1
Archer-s248.00
      03-21-2022, 05:59 AM   #61
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iX3inOz View Post
...18-20 degrees celsius...
Sounds like a hot summer day here in the UK!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 04:48 AM   #62
Crystalbabe 5
Registered
Rep

Same here. I received my new car from dealership at 175miles. After few days charging at 13A home charger was maintaining around 190 - 200 miles daily ( only travelfor 30 miles for work) its been 2 weeks now and i am planning to go on a short trip 250miles away.So drained charge to about 90miles without home charging and plugged in today at a rapid charger 50KW. Shocked to see max estimate was 202miles!! Why is this so? Looks like false advertising and promotion from BMW ???
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 05:54 AM   #63
Crystalbabe 5
Registered
Rep

i guess we buyers are taken for a ride. Mine is just 2 weeks old and charged fully to 100% today. Estimate showing only 202miles!!!
whats going on ?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 06:43 AM   #64
mobworld
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW, VW

Range prediction has nothing to do with how you charge or how fast you charge.
The car tries to predict range based on your driving style(old man/aggressive audi driver/ priest' old mom) and ambient factors like temp.

Regards
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 08:43 AM   #65
The shadow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalbabe 5 View Post
i guess we buyers are taken for a ride. Mine is just 2 weeks old and charged fully to 100% today. Estimate showing only 202miles!!!
whats going on ?
Long standing issue, it’s only an estimate unfortunately, changing modes will immediately alter the range as does toggling the a/c on or off
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 04:59 PM   #66
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalbabe 5 View Post
whats going on ?
When was the last time that your petrol or diesel car achieved the quoted fuel economy?
Appreciate 0