BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-15-2020, 10:21 PM   #573
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

I've been in contact with MSS direct in the UK in parallel to Ben and I have the same info.

They've offered to ship direct to me in Australia, though i've suggested handling this with the local distributor. My local shop whom I purchased through will source the replacement springs.

I've posed the question of installation costs (I've been quoted about $400 AUD to replace the fronts). I'm waiting for a response on this. Naturally I would not be expecting to cover this cost.

I must thank Ben again for the time he's put into investigating both the problem and solution.

2020 BMW X3M Competition ///M - ALPINE WHITE / SAKHIR ORANGE

Past: 18' BMW M3CS | 18' BMW X5M | '17 BMW M3 Competition | '16 Mercedes GLC250 | '16 BMW X5M | '15 BMW X5 M50d | '14 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport13113.50
      10-15-2020, 10:28 PM   #574
matt9999
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X4M

Same situation, agreed shipping of replacement to Australia - no commitment to the fees associated with the re-installation. Will be interested to see how this progresses in other cases. If it is only the June / July batches, it can't be too much of a hit on them can it? I bought locally as well, but don't really want to bring Australian consumer law against the importer...

As above, thanks to Ben as well.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13113.50
      10-15-2020, 10:34 PM   #575
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep

Indeed. For me I accept that mistakes happen and in some circumstances when they occur you may not always be made whole.

However in these circumstances where implementation of the solution has a direct cost, I think they should come to the party.

It's not like I paid for a high priced item and the solution is lower valued and I 'overpaid'. In that scenario I likely wouldn't mind.

2020 BMW X3M Competition ///M - ALPINE WHITE / SAKHIR ORANGE

Past: 18' BMW M3CS | 18' BMW X5M | '17 BMW M3 Competition | '16 Mercedes GLC250 | '16 BMW X5M | '15 BMW X5 M50d | '14 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13113.50
      10-15-2020, 11:15 PM   #576
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

My personal opinion on this, let's take it one case at a time.
I am going to invest my time for my local customers and deal with it later on.
At least it will take care the first case which is the most critical one.

I have not known MSS for long, but I am sure that when there is a chance to meet in person, there would be some very interesting conversation between me and them.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
elisiX687.00
      10-16-2020, 01:21 AM   #577
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
The new spring is slightly longer 10mm and slightly higher spring rate (about 5%).

I hope this help.
that is interesting - i would have thought a longer spring in the same shock would have increased chances of coil binding.

Or, did they also increase the pitch on the spring coils?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13113.50
      10-16-2020, 10:59 AM   #578
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzg1969 View Post
that is interesting - i would have thought a longer spring in the same shock would have increased chances of coil binding.

Or, did they also increase the pitch on the spring coils?
Well, it would depends on how it was designed and engineered.

The pitch are still the same. Just an extra turn and higher spring rate.
Appreciate 1
kzg19691302.00
      10-18-2020, 06:46 AM   #579
SimonPM
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzapb View Post
Had indicative pricing from evolve in the UK. Pinging Imran@Evolve directly - maybe forum discount for the Uk mate?
I recently test drove an X3M and the ride was too harsh for what I need but possibly an option if the kit reduces how hard it rides so I'm interested in this and whether you bought a set and how much did it change the ride?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 07:06 AM   #580
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonPM View Post
Quote:
Had indicative pricing from evolve in the UK. Pinging Imran@Evolve directly - maybe forum discount for the Uk mate?
I recently test drove an X3M and the ride was too harsh for what I need but possibly an option if the kit reduces how hard it rides so I'm interested in this and whether you bought a set and how much did it change the ride?
Hi there. I felt the low speed ride was too hard but could live with it.... especially with the deal on offer. I wanted to improve the school run journey

I was intending to get the x3 m40i but with RFTs 21 that sounded like it could also be harsh I couldn't find a car to test drive.

So with the x3ms selling like hot cakes i bought one I just budgeted 1K GBP and as soon as evolve were suppling then I booked a fitting. I didn't know what to expect but Joe As review of MSS on the M2c and feeeback here I went for it.

To be honest I kinda forgot the difference I guess what I can say is that I don't notice the pot holes and broken tarmac it's not dominating. The cabin refinement with double glazing and quality is further improved.

I think it's safe to say sport plus on the shocks with MSS was like comfort stock. I've kept the stock ride height as it was fine for me.

Veey happy with the car the looks crazy performance tech quality etc it's a heck of a car.
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7846.50
      10-18-2020, 12:06 PM   #581
SimonPM
Rep

Quote:
Hi there. I felt the low speed ride was too hard but could live with it.... especially with the deal on offer. I wanted to improve the school run journey

I was intending to get the x3 m40i but with RFTs 21 that sounded like it could also be harsh I couldn't find a car to test drive.

So with the x3ms selling like hot cakes i bought one I just budgeted 1K GBP and as soon as evolve were suppling then I booked a fitting. I didn't know what to expect but Joe As review of MSS on the M2c and feeeback here I went for it.

To be honest I kinda forgot the difference I guess what I can say is that I don't notice the pot holes and broken tarmac it's not dominating. The cabin refinement with double glazing and quality is further improved.

I think it's safe to say sport plus on the shocks with MSS was like comfort stock. I've kept the stock ride height as it was fine for me.

Veey happy with the car the looks crazy performance tech quality etc it's a heck of a car.
Thanks for the reply. I thought the car was great but that ride was enough to turn me off but have found these posts and now reconsidering buying one. I had thought of going into an M40i but the M is a very attractive car and the performance was spectacular. Possibly need to find a local car with teh mod before committing though.
Appreciate 1
dazzapb1051.00
      10-18-2020, 01:45 PM   #582
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I thought the car was great but that ride was enough to turn me off but have found these posts and now reconsidering buying one. I had thought of going into an M40i but the M is a very attractive car and the performance was spectacular. Possibly need to find a local car with teh mod before committing though.
Where in the UK are you mate
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 02:07 PM   #583
SimonPM
Rep

Quote:
South West, not too far from Bristol (but I don't have the accent!)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 04:24 PM   #584
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
South West, not too far from Bristol (but I don't have the accent!)
Nice part of the world! Usually there in summer not this year though Im in SW London so a bit far!

Not sure the uptake of MSS in the UK. Very popular over the pond though.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 10:39 PM   #585
James Cole
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Hello guys...

What would be the consensus Front and Rear for "highest" ride height close to stock?

Thanks
JC
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 10:09 PM   #586
calbear550
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5, 2020 X4MC (retired)

Selling my gently used MSS springs. Thanks.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1769999
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 12:02 PM   #587
RHILE_MAB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: CURRENT: 20 F97, 24 iX50 & M60

Swapped out my May-built front springs yesterday with Ben @ RGSport and I'm very happy to say the "bang/clunk" issue seems completely resolved. The ride is lower than stock, of course, but the ride home (about 30 miles with lots of speed bumps at the end), was absolutely amazing. The car's ride is perfection as I see it. It's nowhere near as jittery and jarring as stock, the rear now stays firmly planted at all angles and no longer does that little 'skip' when clipping a bump during a turn like the factory springs did, and the firmer front spring change MSS implemented makes front end control feel even tighter that factory.

It's both much more compliant for rough roads, while feeling slightly sportier in its manners. Plus, the drop looks cool so there isn't one drawback so far. I'll see where the drop settles after a couple of hundred miles and if that alters anything, but I doubt it. It looks like this weird one-off with their intro-Urban line is pretty much solved.

Ben can correct me on where my heights ended up, but the new front's from MSS are longer, not just firmer, so I think my stance is 10(f)/30(r) now. BMW is doing the break-in service at the moment but if anyone wants to see what that looks like, I can get a picture later. (Don't pay much mind to those numbers, it doesn't look weird, I swear!)

PAST: 2016 F85 X5M "Beast"

Previous Forum ID: M3_e36CA
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport13113.50
AlexFL7846.50
      10-27-2020, 04:00 PM   #588
matt9999
Enlisted Member
Rep

"10(f)/30(r) now" - is that the thread gap with the new springs? My new front springs have just arrived and I was thinking whether the thread gaps will just be set the same, or whether they will need to be modified for the longer front spring. I'm now even getting the clunking when on full lock with a left hand turn.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 06:36 PM   #589
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt9999 View Post
"10(f)/30(r) now" - is that the thread gap with the new springs? My new front springs have just arrived and I was thinking whether the thread gaps will just be set the same, or whether they will need to be modified for the longer front spring. I'm now even getting the clunking when on full lock with a left hand turn.
Hey Matt,

Did you cover the cost to install yourself?

Mine haven’t arrived yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 07:03 PM   #590
RHILE_MAB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Yeah, exactly. Because of the longer front spring, the thread gap had to compensate to keep the rake the way it was (the way I wanted it). I didn't slam the car so there's still plenty of space, but the numbers sounded kind of wacky, which is why I mentioned it.

Regarding the issue of MSS picking up the cost to replace, it's been mentioned and they are willing to cover me...but...technically, I haven't received the new springs they sent to me. There's another story to that. But yes, they have offered to cover the return trip to fix the issue!

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 07:10 PM   #591
matt9999
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisiX View Post
Hey Matt,

Did you cover the cost to install yourself?

Mine haven’t arrived yet.
I think I'm just going to pay for it myself initially (as it needs to be done now) and try and recover the funds afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 07:12 PM   #592
matt9999
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHILE_MAB View Post
Yeah, exactly. Because of the longer front spring, the thread gap had to compensate to keep the rake the way it was (the way I wanted it). I didn't slam the car so there's still plenty of space, but the numbers sounded kind of wacky, which is why I mentioned it.
What is the rake on yours with that - is it 15 mm, or the 6 mm which everyone (seems to be) is preferring? Thanks.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13113.50
      10-27-2020, 07:25 PM   #593
RHILE_MAB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
What is the rake on yours with that - is it 15 mm, or the 6 mm which everyone (seems to be) is preferring? Thanks.
Well, the rears now have about 300 miles on them so they're settled, but since the fronts are new and will settle deeper I'm not sure where they may end up exactly, but I think it'll be somewhere in between? I ran out just now and tried to get as good an angle as I can with the 10/30 (sorry it's pretty dark already)

Ignore the RKP lip in the first pic, I think it gives a 'lower' illusion at that angle.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      10-27-2020, 09:04 PM   #594
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHILE_MAB View Post
His setup should be 12-15mm once the front spring is fully settled.
Appreciate 1