BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-29-2020, 10:27 AM   #529
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemeld_135 View Post
I've been reading and from the reviews it these seem to help soften then ride. I moved to the x3m comp from an m2c as I was expecting - was looking for more space. The ride difference felt soft enough to me but now that I have my son it seems a bit harsh for his baby neck.

For the people who moved to the mss springs.. do you think it would be soft enough for a baby in comfort or is it still too rough. Would love your feedback. I'm trying everything I can to keep the x3m comp but the lady thinks it's so harsh for him. Help me win the battle with some actual reviews and thoughts from people who have them installed.
I personally think it will help.
It will be better than stock for sure.

We are currently just trying to figure out the noise issue that a few users been having.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2020, 01:51 PM   #530
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sys64738 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Do you mind emailing some pictures of the front springs to me?
I want to check the condition as I have another suspicion.
Ok, I have sent you the requested pics via E-mail of the front springs. I am attaching them to this post also for others to compare to theirs.
Here's mine (front)probably not helpful as it's covered by the sock. Is that easy to remove?
I can't say I have any issues - installed by evolve in the UK - great comfort at stock ride height.
I don't think it's looks as compressed as your pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 01:57 PM   #531
sys64738
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzapb View Post
Here's mine (front)probably not helpful as it's covered by the sock. Is that easy to remove?
I can't say I have any issues - installed by evolve in the UK - great comfort at stock ride height.
Yea I agree it does not look as compressed as mine and others that have posted. They didn't include the "sock" in our kit otherwise we probably would have installed it too.

Interesting that yours is close to "stock" ride height also - in theory that should have compressed that spring even more. Does your installer (Evolve) have documentation on what adjuster thread gap they used on the front/rear?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 02:02 PM   #532
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Quote:
Quote:
Yea I agree it does not look as compressed as mine and others that have posted. They didn't include the "sock" in our kit otherwise we probably would have installed it too.

Interesting that yours is close to "stock" ride height also - in theory that should have compressed that spring even more. Does your installer (Evolve) have documentation on what adjuster thread gap they used on the front/rear?
Imran@Evolve might be able to shed some light on this. Evolve are very active on this forum and a sponsor.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 10:33 PM   #533
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Do you mind emailing some pictures of the front springs to me?
I want to check the condition as I have another suspicion.
Ok, I have sent you the requested pics via E-mail of the front springs. I am attaching them to this post also for others to compare to theirs.
Seems like you are the early adopter.

I don't have issue with mine.
I have sent email to MSS with pictures that I gathered.
Hopefully he will respond with a solution.

Here is a picture of mine that I took this morning.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-30-2020, 02:40 AM   #534
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

So you suspect that latest versions of the front springs are compressing more than earlier versions of the front springs?

This can't be good.

2020 BMW X3M Competition ///M - ALPINE WHITE / SAKHIR ORANGE

Past: 18' BMW M3CS | 18' BMW X5M | '17 BMW M3 Competition | '16 Mercedes GLC250 | '16 BMW X5M | '15 BMW X5 M50d | '14 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2020, 02:59 AM   #535
matt9999
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisiX View Post
So you suspect that latest versions of the front springs are compressing more than earlier versions of the front springs?

This can't be good.
I'm not liking the sound of that either. My mind has already drifted to re-sale and explaining prior to any test drive that any speed humps need to be attacked at no more than walking speed as the springs crash / clunk otherwise.

I'm assuming there is no joy in mitigating this by setting the dampers to a stiffer setting. Doesn't seem to have made much difference in my limited trials.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 03:03 AM   #536
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt9999 View Post
Quote:

This can't be good.
I'm not liking the sound of that either. My mind has already drifted to re-sale and explaining prior to any test drive that any speed humps need to be attacked at no more than walking speed as the springs crash / clunk otherwise.

I'm assuming there is no joy in mitigating this by setting the dampers to a stiffer setting. Doesn't seem to have made much difference in my limited trials.
Are you running the 25mm/20mm 6mm rake setup?

Past: 18' BMW M3CS | 18' BMW X5M | '17 BMW M3 Competition | '16 Mercedes GLC250 | '16 BMW X5M | '15 BMW X5 M50d | '14 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 08:40 AM   #537
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

This can't be good.
It could be a spring defect.
I am still waiting for MSS owner and support to reply to my email.
If you guys want to reach out to them too, that would help.
Either at their IG or just email.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 08:46 AM   #538
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt9999 View Post
Quote:

This can't be good.

I should add that my issues don't sound nearly as bad as yours.

I don't have any noises or clunking. Mine is basically fine except for what seems to be significantly reduced travel in the spring causing bottoming out in the front end on 1/2" - 1.5" depth pot holes / man holes, etc, that really shouldn't bottom out. Over 1.5" depth I can accept.

I'd expect it on a proper hole in the road, but not undulations in the road surface as well as approved maintenance covers on roads. I'd say other than those situations it's perfectly smooth and comfortable for me. But I do clench my ass when I see something on the road just in case lol.

Perhaps we should catch up seeing as we're local to each other and compare? Look and drive feel?

Last edited by elisiX; 09-30-2020 at 09:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13506.00
      09-30-2020, 09:00 AM   #539
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
It could be a spring defect.
I am still waiting for MSS owner and support to reply to my email.
If you guys want to reach out to them too, that would help.
Either at their IG or just email.
I’ve just msg them on Instagram.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13506.00
      09-30-2020, 09:20 AM   #540
Bmwtech113
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
2023 BMW M5  [0.00]
So I've been running the MSS for about a month now. At first I was adjusting based on ride height. The rear suspension was too bouncy with my initial settings so I got with Ben and set the thread gap to 25mm/20mm. It was improved but then the rear felt too stiff and the front clunked when hitting pot holes. I just am not seeing much improvement in comfort over the stock suspension. The roads in my area are terrible and I'm sure that's the biggest part of my problem. I've double checked my install and everything does seem to be correct per the instructions (which could definitely be written better).
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13506.00
      09-30-2020, 10:18 AM   #541
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I don't have any noises or clunking. Mine is basically fine except for what seems to be significantly reduced travel in the spring causing bottoming out in the front end on 1/2" - 1.5" depth pot holes / man holes, etc, that really shouldn't bottom out. Over 1.5" depth I can accept.

I'd expect it on a proper hole in the road, but not undulations in the road surface as well as approved maintenance covers on roads. I'd say other than those situations it's perfectly smooth and comfortable for me. But I do clench my ass when I see something on the road just in case lol.

Perhaps we should catch up seeing as we're local to each other and compare? Look and drive feel?
Hmm, in your case, it may be maxing out to the bump stop.
But, that can also caused by the spring is too soft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwtech113 View Post
So I've been running the MSS for about a month now. At first I was adjusting based on ride height. The rear suspension was too bouncy with my initial settings so I got with Ben and set the thread gap to 25mm/20mm. It was improved but then the rear felt too stiff and the front clunked when hitting pot holes. I just am not seeing much improvement in comfort over the stock suspension. The roads in my area are terrible and I'm sure that's the biggest part of my problem. I've double checked my install and everything does seem to be correct per the instructions (which could definitely be written better).
Is bump stop swapped? Sorry if I forget, I am trying to help as many customer with MSS issues as I can. Even though some of them didn't even buy it from me. lol.
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2020, 10:32 AM   #542
BOEING 777
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4MC 2022 X3MC 2023 M3C

Quote:

Is bump stop swapped? Sorry if I forget, I am trying to help as many customer with MSS issues as I can. Even though some of them didn't even buy it from me. lol.
Ben I find it amazing you are doing that and I commend you for helping out.I have never bought anything from you and I have done a couple of mods however the next mod I am doing on my car I will definitely be buying from you.
Just seeing how you try to help owners on this forum,it seems your customer service is excellent and thats more important than saving a couple of dollars.
Appreciate 2
      09-30-2020, 10:32 AM   #543
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
If it wasn't clear already, we appreciate your assistance.

You have been fantastic and if I can speak for the group, we can't thank you enough.

Appreciate 3
      09-30-2020, 10:35 AM   #544
Bmwtech113
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
2023 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I appreciate you taking the time and trying to help us out with this. The bump stops from the MSS kit were installed on the rear and the original rear bump stops are now on the front.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport13506.00
font9a4.50
      09-30-2020, 10:35 AM   #545
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOEING 777 View Post
Ben I find it amazing you are doing that and I commend you for helping out.I have never bought anything from you and I have done a couple of mods however the next mod I am doing on my car I will definitely be buying from you.
Just seeing how you try to help owners on this forum,it seems your customer service is excellent and thats more important than saving a couple of dollars.
Quote:
If it wasn't clear already, we appreciate your assistance.

You have been fantastic and if I can speak for the group, we can't thank you enough.
Appreciate the kind words.

I am customer first, business owner second.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 11:30 AM   #546
sys64738
Private
Rep

Quote:
My issue is not noises under normal driving at all. It is the bottoming out "clunk" or "thud" only from the front end over pot holes, man holes, sharp bumps as you describe. In other words, our issue is identical, we are just describing them differently.
Appreciate 1
elisiX697.00
      09-30-2020, 11:34 AM   #547
sys64738
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ding ding, exact same situation for me as well (including the terrible roads).

Ride comfort is improved mostly that the rear end no longer "bounces" excessively over bumps or waves in the road. I do like the lowered stance, and it does handle a bit nicer, but given the cost of this kit and the *3* times I have had it in the shop to play with the springs, I am not sure it is worth it.

Does not help that I also drive the wife's Q7 which has air suspension and the 4-wheel steering (IAS in BMW terms) which makes it ride amazing.
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2020, 02:16 PM   #548
RHILE_MAB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: CURRENT: 20 F97, 24 iX50 & M60

I'm a little wary after running through these last few pages, especially since my kit is being installed tomorrow morning. Usually I'd be at Ben's on a Saturday morning getting it all taken care of, but right now my car is sitting on blocks in the driveway while the wheels are out getting powder coated. It seems an opportune time to get the rear spacers, front reflectors, and RKP lip installed while it's sitting there.

The plan is to go 22F/20R but I'm worried that is close enough to the "BumpThuds" other users are randomly experiencing. I could certainly go a little higher, as I think the MSS at max thread is still lower than stock and I wasn't looking for a big difference in ride height anyhow. Has there been any correlation between manufacture date and the issues? Early adopters seem better off, and shops seem to be getting more adept at installs over the summer, so maybe the springs are being produced slightly softer with more travel, or...?

If it doesn't work out and I end up with noises I'll take a trip to Ben's for the fix, hopefully MSS has given you an answer by then?

Also, any extra squeak protection (greasing here or there) or anything along those lines to think of during install?

Thanks!

PAST: 2016 F85 X5M "Beast"

Previous Forum ID: M3_e36CA
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13506.00
      09-30-2020, 05:09 PM   #549
matt9999
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X4M

Quote:
Are you running the 25mm/20mm 6mm rake setup?
30/24 - its just when speed humps at hit too fast, everything else has been good.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13506.00
      09-30-2020, 09:38 PM   #550
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHILE_MAB View Post
I'm a little wary after running through these last few pages, especially since my kit is being installed tomorrow morning. Usually I'd be at Ben's on a Saturday morning getting it all taken care of, but right now my car is sitting on blocks in the driveway while the wheels are out getting powder coated. It seems an opportune time to get the rear spacers, front reflectors, and RKP lip installed while it's sitting there.

The plan is to go 22F/20R but I'm worried that is close enough to the "BumpThuds" other users are randomly experiencing. I could certainly go a little higher, as I think the MSS at max thread is still lower than stock and I wasn't looking for a big difference in ride height anyhow. Has there been any correlation between manufacture date and the issues? Early adopters seem better off, and shops seem to be getting more adept at installs over the summer, so maybe the springs are being produced slightly softer with more travel, or...?

If it doesn't work out and I end up with noises I'll take a trip to Ben's for the fix, hopefully MSS has given you an answer by then?

Also, any extra squeak protection (greasing here or there) or anything along those lines to think of during install?

Thanks!
Hmm, good point. Not sure if there is batch number on the spring.

I do have a few of new batch in stock which I haven't even sold yet.
It you are interested, I can try use that.

I will open the box tomorrow and see if there is a batch number on it.
Appreciate 0