BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-05-2020, 05:02 PM   #419
matt9999
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X4M

The kit is worthwhile and an improvement - aesthetically and comfort. But if at all possible, if you want someone installing it whom has done it before. The instructions are shit, and there is a big win to be had if the installer knows prior what spacing to set the adjusters at. They are not easy to adjust once they are on.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13113.50
      09-05-2020, 05:52 PM   #420
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep
Drives: X4 & M4

What would be the recommended adjustment for full height?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 02:27 PM   #421
JaeP
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 X3 x30i Dinan Sport gone

Getting nervous......anyone know if there's an installer in New England, near Boston that has installed one before successfully ?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 02:59 AM   #422
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

Honestly, if you just make sure they don't go lower than 25mm front and 20mm rear, install the springs front and rear per the above documentation, move the bump stop per the instructions, nothing else will go wrong. These are simple steps but some seem to overlook them.

To follow up on my last posts, I checked my spring install today and they are correctly installed front and rear. So any ride issues I had were simply from them dropping the car too aggressively upon installation. This is absolutely more comfortable than stock, even with a reasonable drop.

2020 BMW X3M Competition ///M - ALPINE WHITE / SAKHIR ORANGE

Past: 18' BMW M3CS | 18' BMW X5M | '17 BMW M3 Competition | '16 Mercedes GLC250 | '16 BMW X5M | '15 BMW X5 M50d | '14 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 3
AlexFL7846.50
r33_RGSport13113.50
JaeP63.00
      09-11-2020, 12:01 AM   #423
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
Does anyone have pictures of the MSS kit installed at FULL stock height?!? Please please please..
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13113.50
      09-11-2020, 12:49 AM   #424
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by spucktacular View Post
Does anyone have pictures of the MSS kit installed at FULL stock height?!? Please please please..
Do you mean a picture of a car with MSS springs set at the max height for the spring?

If you mean the MSS set at the height of the stock suspension, then it'll look like any stock picture.

2020 BMW X3M Competition ///M - ALPINE WHITE / SAKHIR ORANGE

Past: 18' BMW M3CS | 18' BMW X5M | '17 BMW M3 Competition | '16 Mercedes GLC250 | '16 BMW X5M | '15 BMW X5 M50d | '14 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 3
aw3051441.50
AlexFL7846.50
      09-11-2020, 07:17 AM   #425
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisiX View Post
Do you mean a picture of a car with MSS springs set at the max height for the spring?

If you mean the MSS set at the height of the stock suspension, then it'll look like any stock picture.
I thought even at full height setting it was still lower than stock?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 11:18 AM   #426
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by spucktacular View Post
From my experience. 2 out of 3 customers that I install at 0.5" lower than stock, they were having clunking issue from the front.

After further troubleshooting and testing, the noise is caused by front spring being too soft so at that height, it fully compressed when you hit a bump or potholes.
Since it is a short spring at soft spring rate, the coils touched and caused the noise.
You won't hear the noise on even surface, only on bump, dip, and pot holes.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 2
      09-11-2020, 11:21 AM   #427
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
From my experience. 2 out of 3 customers that I install at 0.5" lower than stock, they were having clunking issue from the front.

After further troubleshooting and testing, the noise is caused by front spring being too soft so at that height, it fully compressed when you hit a bump or potholes.
Since it is a short spring at soft spring rate, the coils touched and caused the noise.
This is valuable info, Ben!
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13113.50
      09-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #428
JaeP
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 X3 x30i Dinan Sport gone

Quote:

Sorry If I misunderstood.

Does this mean, you should have it more than 0.5" lower from stock to avoid the clunking issue, meaning lower it 0.75"-1.0" ?

Or it's better to leave it higher, at the same stock height to avoid noise ?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13113.50
      09-11-2020, 11:33 AM   #429
sys64738
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:

Very interesting -- I am about 1/2" lower than stock and I do notice this. Specifically, on the front only, if I hit a "sharp" bump, I hear a "thud". I assumed this was the bushing or bump stock, but your explanation makes more sense. The problem seems worse in Sport or Sport+. Have you been able to tweak anything for these two customers to eliminate the issue?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13113.50
      09-11-2020, 11:38 AM   #430
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeP View Post

Does this mean, you should have it more than 0.5" lower from stock to avoid the clunking issue, meaning lower it 0.75"-1.0" ?

You need to go lower. 1" at a minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sys64738 View Post
Very interesting -- I am about 1/2" lower than stock and I do notice this. Specifically, on the front only, if I hit a "sharp" bump, I hear a "thud". I assumed this was the bushing or bump stock, but your explanation makes more sense. The problem seems worse in Sport or Sport+. Have you been able to tweak anything for these two customers to eliminate the issue?
Yes, lowering it to 1" drop, solve the problem.
Appreciate 2
      09-11-2020, 12:47 PM   #431
James Cole
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

Would making sleeves for the springs solve the problem?

JC
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13113.50
      09-11-2020, 01:28 PM   #432
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Cole View Post
Would making sleeves for the springs solve the problem?

JC
Haven't tried it. Could possibly help.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 02:11 PM   #433
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Quote:

I'm confused, but bear in mind most of my suspension experience is on bikes.

If you increase the pre-load (compress the spring), the sag increases and this leads to a higher ride height. Less preload (lower ride height) does result in softer effective rate and indeed uses more suspension travel = lead to higher chances of bottoming out.

So on these front springs, how are you lowering the ride height by increasing pre-load?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 02:24 PM   #434
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzg1969 View Post
I'm confused, but bear in mind most of my suspension experience is on bikes.

If you increase the pre-load (compress the spring), the sag increases and this leads to a higher ride height. Less preload (lower ride height) does result in softer effective rate and indeed uses more suspension travel = lead to higher chances of bottoming out.

So on these front springs, how are you lowering the ride height by increasing pre-load?
Reducing the pre-load lowers the car.

I agree with your statement, but since the spring is engineered by MSS to use short spring at low spring rate, I have no exact answer why they designed it like that.
Maybe because the road in UK doesn't have that much pot holes like in the US?

When I brought this issue to their attention, they blame me for setting the rake at 15mm (which it is what they wrote on the installation instruction).
They want me to set it at a minimum of 20mm, which I argued that their instruction said otherwise.

And, based on my 20+ years in suspension work, that doesn't make sense.
Because higher rake on the rear, means you are putting more weight to the front suspension.
And the whole issue is with the front suspension.

My only guess, if you are 1" lower, before the spring coiled up together and make noise when you hit bump or pot holes, the bump stop will stop it first.
Therefore, no spring clunking noise.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2020, 02:50 PM   #435
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Quote:
Reducing the pre-load lowers the car.
Cheers - as expected then, reducing the preload will lower the car. Yet i hear people say that it feels too firm if lowered. They also state that at OEM ride height (i.e. with more pre-load) that it soaks up the bumps better?

Maybe you already told me the answer - its the bump stops intefering and muddying the waters???
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13113.50
      09-11-2020, 03:12 PM   #436
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzg1969 View Post
Cheers - as expected then, reducing the preload will lower the car. Yet i hear people say that it feels too firm if lowered. They also state that at OEM ride height (i.e. with more pre-load) that it soaks up the bumps better?

Maybe you already told me the answer - its the bump stops intefering and muddying the waters???
In technicality, it is correct, but the amount of pre-load do comes in effect.
Too much pre-load, will make the car unstable.

And based on 2 customers that I've started at 0.5" drop then lowers it to 1", 1" lower is actually feels better and handles better.
Appreciate 1
kzg19691302.00
      09-12-2020, 05:40 AM   #437
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Hi RG I presume at stock ride height this isn't an issue? Cheers
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13113.50
      09-12-2020, 08:03 AM   #438
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzapb View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Hi RG I presume at stock ride height this isn't an issue? Cheers
You can't set it up at stock ride height.
The adjuster will be out of thread where it will be safe enough.
And, if you can, you'll have the noise issue when you hit pot holes or bump at moderate speed.
Appreciate 1
dazzapb1051.00
      09-12-2020, 10:32 AM   #439
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep

Quote:
You can't set it up at stock ride height.
The adjuster will be out of thread where it will be safe enough.
And, if you can, you'll have the noise issue when you hit pot holes or bump at moderate speed.
At 1” drop would you still get a substantial increase in ride quality?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13113.50
      09-12-2020, 11:46 AM   #440
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Let me add something as it seems folks aren't fully grasping (based on what I'm reading).

The MSS kit has a spring length and spring travel designed around lowering the ride height. If you run the adjusters at full stock ride height the spring will bottom BEFORE the bump stops. This results in the noise and abrupt bottoming that folks are describing. Imagine the spring fully bottoming - metal on metal. The lowered ride height mentioned by RG results in a softer ride because the suspension is bottoming on the bump stops which is a progressive, soft, noiseless sensation. This is counter to some of the understanding of those posting on the thread. You would typically think that a higher ride height, which has more shock travel, would yield a softer ride. This is typically true UNLESS your spring runs out of travel and bottoms out prior to shock/bump stop.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 3
r33_RGSport13113.50
spuntyb4066.50