BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-28-2021, 06:06 AM   #23
gray1x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

This is one of those cases where they really can't be bothered with the job so put stupidly high price on it -see it all the time
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 12:41 PM   #24
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BWW iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCV View Post
Tariffs such as Octopus Intelligent now offer cheap charging slots; however, either the car (eg; Tesla) or the EVSE needs OCPP. MyEnergi is in contact with Octopus re the possibility of updating either their hub or the Zappi 2 with OCPP.

https://octopus.energy/intelligent-faqs/

The iX3 has an on board charger which converts AC to DC with a maximum charging rate of 11kWs. The iDrive will allow you to set offpeak/delayed charging periods (eg; for Octopus Go from 0030 to 0430). In other words, there is actually no need for a smart EVSE Alternatively, an EVSE such as Zappi can charge in various modes from Eco+ (solar diversion) to FAST (7/11kWs depending on whether you have a single or 3 phase supply). The EVSE itself is just a power supply with a communications module. If delayed charging is set up in the iX3, then when the EVSE is plugged in a charge will start and then stop until the start of the delayed charging period. In this case, the iX3 will communicate with the EVSE when it wants the charge to restart. The EVSE is left on FAST charge.

Alternatively, some EVSEs such as the Zappi can be programmed via an App. For example, I can set offpeak boost periods to coincide with the cheap periods. If these set, then I leave the IDrive set up to take an immediate charge. Setting delayed charging in both the EVSE app and the car is a recipe for confusion.

The other forms of charging for the iX3 are rapid and ultra rapid DC charging. In this situation, you have a much bigger plug and the charge is initiated; monitored and stopped by the rapid charger itself.

Future EVSEs require built in demand side response so that the ‘Grid’ can reduce power at certain peak times.

Chargers such as Ohme can also access tariffs such as Octopus Agile. This was very popular a year ago but these days there are very few price plunges so EV charging becomes expensive.

Finally, and this is where it gets a bit complicated. Maximum range in Winter requires battery conditioning prior to departure. The iX3 has inbuilt settings to make this possible but it can be complicated if the EVSE App is used. For example, if I was leaving home at 7.30 am tomorrow my preference would be to leave the EVSE on FAST and then set a departure time of 0730 in the iDrive along with my delayed charge start/stop time. The battery preconditioning can start up to 3 hours prior to departure. Unless the iX3 is different to the i3 (I have yet to find out), battery conditioning has to be set up in the iDrive. The preconditioning selection in the App relates to cabin conditioning which starts about 30 minutes before departure.

Practical experience: try to work with the car’s settings to “immediate charging”. I started with the presences set by the car and had a few occasions where I charged public and had the charging timed (for use at home during the night at low tariff). Result was the car never charged during the parking! Annoying at best.

Now I leave the car at “immediate charging” to avoid the above and manipulate the charging with my Zappi V2 and timed boosting. Works best for me and the user friendly app allows me to adjust as needed.

I use the departure timer and with the car connected during the night it uses power from the grid to precondition the car without drawing from the HV batteries. Specially in the winter a feature from heaven saving cleaning windows, saves doorrubbers and eliminate the need for a heavy coat in the car till arrival.

Last edited by iX3 rijder; 10-28-2021 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 01:52 PM   #25
Hud78
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iX3 rijder View Post
Practical experience: try to work with the car’s settings to “immediate charging”. I started with the presences set by the car and had a few occasions where I charged public and had the charging timed (for use at home during the night at low tariff). Result was the car never charged during the parking! Annoying at best.

Now I leave the car at “immediate charging” to avoid the above and manipulate the charging with my Zappi V2 and timed boosting. Works best for me and the user friendly app allows me to adjust as needed.

I use the departure timer and with the car connected during the night it uses power from the grid to precondition the car without drawing from the HV batteries. Specially in the winter a feature from heaven saving cleaning windows, saves doorrubbers and eliminate the need for a heavy coat in the car till arrival.
Have you ever had problems charging overnight when using a timed 'boost' on the zappi? I have read things on other forums about this not working if the car is off for a long time before the zappi charge starts, like the car has gone into a deep sleep and can't accept a charge...even if the car is set to charge immediately.

I have a zappi v2 installed and the car is due in a couple of weeks, so very interested in this!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 03:28 AM   #26
IX3 Vines
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iX3 rijder View Post

Great advice, is it easy to get your head around the settings in the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 04:19 AM   #27
gray1x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I had issues using the car "timer". Set the timer on the BMW to 0:30 - 04:30 (for cheap tariff). It also had "charge to 100%" set as well and that seemed to take priority because I woke up and it was at 100% at 7am

So now i use the wallbox as the timer
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 09:52 AM   #28
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud78 View Post
Have you ever had problems charging overnight when using a timed 'boost' on the zappi? I have read things on other forums about this not working if the car is off for a long time before the zappi charge starts, like the car has gone into a deep sleep and can't accept a charge...even if the car is set to charge immediately.

I have a zappi v2 installed and the car is due in a couple of weeks, so very interested in this!
It is difficult getting it right and I follow certain sequence:
1 connect car with setting on “immediate charging” and a departure time
2 set Zappi to “Stop”
3 later in the evening (just before cheap night tariff starts) change setting to “Eco+” (Zappi and car will make sure car is fully charged before departure time if possible in time)
4 in summer I charge during the day with Eco+ mode to make the most of solarpanel generated power

This works for me even with pre climatizing on.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2021, 10:18 AM   #29
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Quote:

I have not had any issues with the Zappi 2 on boost charge but it is important that you leave the car’s iDrive settings set to FAST. The only mode that is a problem is Eco+ in situations where the excess solar is changing frequently from the c.1.4kWs needed to charge. Frequent on/off charging results in the 12VDC battery going into a ‘protection mode’ where it offloads all non essential electrics which includes delaying the charge.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 10:36 AM   #30
Hud78
Private
Rep

Ah good, sounds straightforward then. Leave the car on fast for everything (I guess this setting is needed for occasional public charging anyway) and time the overnight cheap rate charge in the zappi.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 02:45 PM   #31
kebl2555
Private
Rep
Drives: X1, iX3 M-Sport Pro on order

Ev.Energy - any good?

I am also starting to explore potential chargers in anticipation of an iX3 arriving in the next few months. There seems to be so many different types available with different capabilities, and I am also questioning how much of it is really future proof as there are many small companies providing the smart features presumably via their servers. There's no guarantee they will all still be around in the next few years.

Has anyone tried the capabilities of ev.charger via app integrated directly with the car rather than the smart charger? I thought this is a pretty interesting approach and it appears BMW is supported in Beta: https://support.ev.energy/en/support...ntegrate-with-

If anyone has had experience of this with their iX3 or would be interested in trying it I'd be really keen to hear how it's performed.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 03:55 PM   #32
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

I use ev.energy, as the sync-ev has a wierd trickle charge thing.

Name:  Screenshot_20211205-215534_evenergy.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  70.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 01:10 PM   #33
kebl2555
Private
Rep

Cool. That’s good to see. How are you finding it? Has it been reliable and easy to use? How flexible is the scheduling? Can you set it differently according to the day of the week? I’m assuming you can’t get it to precondition the cabin through this app?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 05:29 PM   #34
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Used it since the 225xe PHEV, so a good while, you can set the precon I've got it linked to my energy supplier, so charges off peak. You can tell it to boost, or that you want a certain %age soc etc, have a play.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 09:19 AM   #35
Aleman.iX3
Rep
Drives: Mini Countryman S All4 PHEV

I've been using a Pod Point since ordering my ix3 from the leasing company ... Today was supposed to be my delivery day ... my countryman PHEV is set to immediate charge, and I use the Podpoint app to schedule the charge from 00:30 to 04:30. Although recently with the cold weather electric range has dropped from 21 miles to 11 miles requiring me to top it up. I've just altered the stop time to 15:30, but can't take advantage of the cheap tariff One reason I was really looking forward to the arrival of the iX3
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 04:45 AM   #36
GoingElectric
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro (on order)

This is a topical read…

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/3...sults-2021?amp
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 07:15 AM   #37
kebl2555
Private
Rep

I've ended up ordering a Pod Point as it had the best balance of price, size and cable length for my situation. I ideally wanted one with smarter features but it's quite confusing to know which one to go with and slightly irrelevant if I can just hook up the Ev.energy app anyway. The purpose of my post is just to flag to everyone that if you are in the process of deciding on a charger you should really get on with it because the installers are quickly filling up their schedules before the grant deadline expires. Pod Point already have a warning on their site that it's unlikely a charger will be installed before the deadline unless coming through a preferred supplier / OEM etc.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2021, 12:25 PM   #38
NatMoj
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3

I have had an Ohme Home Pro installed and I have a new IX3 but it won't charge?
Looking for some answers as My only electricity company who installed can't help me and Ohme can't give me an answer!

Can anyone help please. Thank you

The car charges at the garage I purchased from & from a home wall socket on a transformer lead.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 12:56 PM   #39
GoingElectric
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatMoj View Post
I have had an Ohme Home Pro installed and I have a new IX3 but it won't charge?
Looking for some answers as My only electricity company who installed can't help me and Ohme can't give me an answer!

Can anyone help please. Thank you

The car charges at the garage I purchased from & from a home wall socket on a transformer lead.
I'm following this with interest as I have an Ohme Home Pro awaiting installation in the new year ready for when I take delivery of my iX3. Sorry I can't offer you any help at this stage...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 07:27 PM   #40
GoingElectric
Rep

Comparison of public charger networks and home chargers.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...-revealed.html
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 03:07 AM   #41
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingElectric View Post
Comparison of public charger networks and home chargers.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...-revealed.html
Tesla opened up three Charger stations for non-Testla cars to use in the Netherlands as trials. So far no news has been released, but rumor has it that the trial will expend to other (continental?) countries soon.
Unfortunately none of the “opened up” stations are on my routes so I haven’t had a chance to use it. But it would be great to join soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 10:27 AM   #42
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Ah good, sounds straightforward then. Leave the car on fast for everything (I guess this setting is needed for occasional public charging anyway) and time the overnight cheap rate charge in the zappi.
Got a little wiser in time; I was pointed by Myenergi support to do following:
Set your Zappi to ECO+ and set the “timed boost” schedule to suit your cheap rate hours (if these are fixed that is). Mine are between 23 to 06 on weekdays and both weekend days for 24 hrs.
I set the ECO+ MGL at 70% which causes the Zappi to go into “waiting mode” till the “timed boost” kicks in. With 11kW it is sufficient to charge my iX3 overnight for commuting distance.

Works fine. BUT!! do not enable the “cheap tariff schedule” in your account. That messes up everything without any sensible reasoning! Program it on your Zappi or in the app. What is available in your account is useless, worse even it screws up the app!

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 11:41 AM   #43
Hud78
Private
Rep

Yup, doing the same here with timed boost. Our cheap tarriff is 00:30 to 04:30, like you enough to cover the commute. I haven't set anything in the account, and thanks to the heads up I don't think I will!!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 01:49 PM   #44
Cossa
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3

Been using the Hypervolt charger for just over a week, flawless so far if anyone's still after home charger recommendations.
Appreciate 0