BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-19-2023, 09:30 AM   #23
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebie3 View Post
AFAIK my buddies 2020 M340 ID7 stays on when the door is opened.
I wonder how they addressed the ability for someone to jump in and drive off?

Maybe it starts electronically but won’t let you drive without the fob?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 12:17 PM   #24
PBS987
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
AFAIK my buddies 2020 M340 ID7 stays on when the door is opened.
Yes with the BMW factory equipped remote engine start option you can do take over by getting in with your key and then you press the start switch and then the brake pedal switch and then the vehicle will take over.

With the factory remote start BMW has full control of how everything works so they can easily make it do anything thing they want to.

A third party company making integration parts for a certain vehicle can only work with what the vehicle has equipment wise and its normal functionality.

Everything seems very simple on the surface but once understand exactly how the vehicle operates and more importantly why it is done that way, then can you can understand why some things are done the way they are.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 12:30 PM   #25
PBS987
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
I wonder how they addressed the ability for someone to jump in and drive off?

Maybe it starts electronically but won’t let you drive without the fob?
No if start any push to start vehicle normally and then leave it running without a key inside of it anyone can drive that vehicle away. If they didn't do it that way if you were driving that vehicle down the road and the key's battery died or the key stopped working it could shut the engine off and that could cause a serious accident as you would lose the power steering and the power brakes.

The BMW factory remote starter will only allow take over if the vehicle senses a valid key is in the vehicle. If it doesn't see a valid key it will shut off when you step on the brakes.
Appreciate 1
joebie3458.50
      06-20-2023, 09:09 AM   #26
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBS987 View Post
No if start any push to start vehicle normally and then leave it running without a key inside of it anyone can drive that vehicle away. If they didn't do it that way if you were driving that vehicle down the road and the key's battery died or the key stopped working it could shut the engine off and that could cause a serious accident as you would lose the power steering and the power brakes.

The BMW factory remote starter will only allow take over if the vehicle senses a valid key is in the vehicle. If it doesn't see a valid key it will shut off when you step on the brakes.
On that last part, why can't it be replicated on an aftermarket?

In other words, remote start with the fob inside, then only allow drive off if a second fob is registered?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 09:18 PM   #27
PBS987
Rep

[QUOTE=spta97;30236095]On that last part, why can't it be replicated on an aftermarket?

In other words, remote start with the fob inside, then only allow drive off if a second fob is registered?[/QUOTE

The vehicle would need to send a is key located in the vehicle message on the data bus for Eurostart to be able to do that and if the vehicle was never designed for it, it probably doesn't have such a message.

I have sold over 500 remote starters for BMW, Land Rover, and Porsche all of which would shut down when the door was opened. And I only had maybe 3 people question me about that, and after explaining why they had no issues with it. I also have a Eurostart in my BMW for 5 years now and restarting the car isn't that big of a deal for me. One thing that is nice I never need to rush out to the vehicle before the remote starters runtime ends. It's less stressful.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 06:27 AM   #28
spta97
Colonel
Rep

[QUOTE=PBS987;30238318]
Quote:
On that last part, why can't it be replicated on an aftermarket?

In other words, remote start with the fob inside, then only allow drive off if a second fob is registered?[/QUOTE

The vehicle would need to send a is key located in the vehicle message on the data bus for Eurostart to be able to do that and if the vehicle was never designed for it, it probably doesn't have such a message.

I have sold over 500 remote starters for BMW, Land Rover, and Porsche all of which would shut down when the door was opened. And I only had maybe 3 people question me about that, and after explaining why they had no issues with it. I also have a Eurostart in my BMW for 5 years now and restarting the car isn't that big of a deal for me. One thing that is nice I never need to rush out to the vehicle before the remote starters runtime ends. It's less stressful.
I could see where a lot of people would be ok with the restart.

Personally I would find it annoying as my 16 year old Nissan doesn’t do that. I could live with it for $500 but prob not $1000 + new key fob.

Regarding your last statement, do you mean to say there is not run time limit?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 08:59 PM   #29
PBS987
Rep

[QUOTE=spta97;30238882]
Quote:

I could see where a lot of people would be ok with the restart.

Personally I would find it annoying as my 16 year old Nissan doesn’t do that. I could live with it for $500 but prob not $1000 + new key fob.

Regarding your last statement, do you mean to say there is not run time limit?
The remote starter is $950 Canadian or roughly $725 USD with the current exchange rates.

Yes there is a time limit, but what I meant was with a remote starter that has a take over option you need to get to the car before the timer runs out otherwise you will be restarting the car again anyways.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 05:06 PM   #30
spta97
Colonel
Rep

[QUOTE=PBS987;30241191]
Quote:

The remote starter is $950 Canadian or roughly $725 USD with the current exchange rates.

Yes there is a time limit, but what I meant was with a remote starter that has a take over option you need to get to the car before the timer runs out otherwise you will be restarting the car again anyways.
Got it. I’ve done that a few times and just missed the cut off lol.

Maybe I’ll consider this in the winter. I’ve been very happy with the warm up/cool down time (shocked actually). In my old truck it can take 10-15 min to get to temp so remote start is necessary

$725 is def more palatable.
Appreciate 1
joebie3458.50
      06-23-2023, 09:00 AM   #31
joebie3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 STI - 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2014 Subaru STi  [5.00]
Yup, I def plan on doing it once the weather starts to get cruddy around here. I could never do it on the Subaru because the large injectors and E85 didn't play well in the colder temps.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 09:53 PM   #32
PBS987
Rep

Quote:
Yup, I def plan on doing it once the weather starts to get cruddy around here. I could never do it on the Subaru because the large injectors and E85 didn't play well in the colder temps.
If I had an X3MC I would want to remote start the vehicle as I was walking up to it just so I could hear that exhaust note as the engine starts up. I get a big grin on my face every time I start up one of those engines. The remote start is also nice for the summer to get the AC going for a few minutes.
Appreciate 2
      07-07-2023, 02:38 PM   #33
techtwou
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550

I have the Eurostart & Drone, application for 2019 M550. Shop Installed in December of 2022, the unit I have has not proved to be reliable, I had mine now for 7 months and it's been down now for over a month now, giving me a 3-11 Code, (It could have been longer than that I don't use it unless it's extremely Cold/Hot outside,) Lo battery voltage, reading 8 volts up to 11.1 volts on Drone App and will not start the vehicle, the voltage at the battery reads 12.5 to 12.7 volts and starts every time, "I don't know if I got a bad unit", working with shop now to see if they can get another unit and reinstall, Otherwise I don't know what I am going to do. I guess if you make it past the 6 month point you are good.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 05:26 PM   #34
Parnishka
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Black Sapphire

Quote:
I have installed hundreds of Eurostart kits for our two local BMW and Mini dealers and every one has worked perfectly right out of the box. I have been installing Eurostart kits for over 5 years now without any issues and I really enjoy installing them which I can easily do in under 2 hours. Eurostart as thought of everything and their instructions are the most detailed, I have ever seen. It's 100% made in Canada by Eurostart and is by far the highest quality remote starter made to date and I installed thousands of remote starters over the years including one Bimmert*** unit which ended up having to be removed as it would remote start the vehicle with the hood open. Not very safe for anyone working under the hood.

All newer European vehicles require a key when installing a remote starter and even when BMW had their own retrofit remote engine starter a few years ago (now discontinued) theirs also needed a key and it was made by BMW. So unfortunately, if you drive a late model BMW, Mini, Porsche, Land Rover, Audi, Mercedes, or Volkswagen you will need to give up a key to have an aftermarket remote starter installed. I think it is a small price to pay to drive some of the best built vehicles on the market today.

The Eurostart remote starter is designed to turn off the engine when the vehicle is unlocked, or if a door is opened during the remote start runtime. This is to help protect the vehicle against theft, and to ensure that the vehicle does not turn off the engine while it is being driven, and also to make sure that the owner has their key fob with them in [...]
I have 21 x4m comp with ID7 and don’t have remote. I checked with my dealer by my vin they said I don’t even have the hard wiring to be able to purchase through my bmw app. Do you know if I can purchase the wiring from smwhere and install myself to be able to purchase the activation?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 05:48 AM   #35
joebie3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2014 Subaru STi  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnishka View Post
I have 21 x4m comp with ID7 and don’t have remote. I checked with my dealer by my vin they said I don’t even have the hard wiring to be able to purchase through my bmw app. Do you know if I can purchase the wiring from smwhere and install myself to be able to purchase the activation?
Is your engine start button on the dash, or in the middle console by the shifter?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 08:20 PM   #36
Parnishka
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is your engine start button on the dash, or in the middle console by the shifter?
It’s 2021 so it’s pre facelift and start button on dash close to cluster.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 05:51 AM   #37
joebie3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2014 Subaru STi  [5.00]
Quote:
It’s 2021 so it’s pre facelift and start button on dash close to cluster.
Unfortunately you can't wire the car for the BMW remote start afaik. Only choice is aftermarket. LCI Only. That being said, anything is possible with money and determination.

At the very least you'd need to find out if you have SP15, or SP18 hardware.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 10:13 AM   #38
Parnishka
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately you can't wire the car for the BMW remote start afaik. Only choice is aftermarket. LCI Only. That being said, anything is possible with money and determination.

At the very least you'd need to find out if you have SP15, or SP18 hardware.
No idea how and where I can find it.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 06:44 PM   #39
PBS987
Rep

Quote:
Your dealer is correct your vehicle does not have the needed hardware for BMW's factory
remote starter, but you can purchase a remote starter kit from Eurostart directly on their website for your 2021 X4m and you can install this yourself.
www.eurostart.com
Appreciate 1
M3Pilot091138.00
      08-03-2023, 10:41 PM   #40
PBS987
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techtwou View Post
I have the Eurostart & Drone, application for 2019 M550. Shop Installed in December of 2022, the unit I have has not proved to be reliable, I had mine now for 7 months and it's been down now for over a month now, giving me a 3-11 Code, (It could have been longer than that I don't use it unless it's extremely Cold/Hot outside,) Lo battery voltage, reading 8 volts up to 11.1 volts on Drone App and will not start the vehicle, the voltage at the battery reads 12.5 to 12.7 volts and starts every time, "I don't know if I got a bad unit", working with shop now to see if they can get another unit and reinstall, Otherwise I don't know what I am going to do. I guess if you make it past the 6 month point you are good.
Did you end up getting this issue resolved? I have never seen a Eurostart product go bad before and I have installed more than 400 of them and the one in my car was installed back in 2018 and it's still working perfectly. If your dealer was not able to help you contact Eurostart I'm sure they will be able to get this resolved for you as they are really great to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 10:28 AM   #41
joebie3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2014 Subaru STi  [5.00]
Ordered the BRS7 today.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 06:38 AM   #42
joebie3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2014 Subaru STi  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny_RDM View Post
I got eurostart on my 2020 f97 for almost 2 years, really……. Best investment))) no issues, perfect for summer and winter, i got on keyfob and drone app so i see voltage all time when dropping to many just starting remote, one more thing that’s really helping when I installed car eye3,0pro on last winter car can be parked for week cameras recording and I don’t have voltage drops
Which DroneMobile device did you get? I ordered the X1R through Eurostart, but there is some discrepancy on which units actually work in the US. I contacted DroneMobile, and they were less than helpful. :-|
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 08:58 PM   #43
Lenny_RDM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Which DroneMobile device did you get? I ordered the X1R through Eurostart, but there is some discrepancy on which units actually work in the US. I contacted DroneMobile, and they were less than helpful. :-|
I don’t remember exactly with one I have, what I see in app is DC3
Appreciate 1
joebie3458.50
      10-26-2023, 11:55 AM   #44
joebie3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2014 Subaru STi  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny_RDM View Post
I don’t remember exactly with one I have, what I see in app is DC3
I ended up contacting Eurostart and they confirmed it would work. That being said, their support is TOP notch. So if anyone else is in the fence, rest assured these people are awesome to work with.

Been using the remote start for the last few weeks now with no issues in the X1R. 😍
Appreciate 0