BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-01-2018, 10:05 AM   #23
PaulE
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwgrande View Post
After years of driving the 95 corridor in the northeast, my car has the resemblance of a teen going through the woes of acne. I have to believe that the PPF I just got for my M40i will prevent at least some of this over a similar period of ownership.
The 2012 Acura TL with 127,500 miles I just sold looked similar, although my front bumper cover had been replaced twice due to fender benders so it wasn't quite as bad, the bumper cover only had about 35,000 miles on it since last being replaced.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2018, 10:05 AM   #24
deladude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwgrande View Post
My goal is to get a full wrap, but I'm going to have to get there piecemeal. In the mean time, I'll Opti-Coat the rest and avoid taking the car out during any kind of weather until I get the rest done.
Just a heads up, they say that if you want both opti-coat and xpel that you need to do the xpel first because it won't stick to the ceramic finish. I thought it was weird to put a ceramic coat on top of the film but that's how they say it works. I recommend looking into it further before going ahead with your plan.
Appreciate 2
XPEL355.50
      11-01-2018, 11:22 AM   #25
bmwgrande
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deladude View Post
Just a heads up, they say that if you want both opti-coat and xpel that you need to do the xpel first because it won't stick to the ceramic finish. I thought it was weird to put a ceramic coat on top of the film but that's how they say it works. I recommend looking into it further before going ahead with your plan.
Thanks! That's good to know. Seems like I might need to accelerate my PPF purchase plan...
      11-01-2018, 10:25 PM   #26
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deladude View Post
Just a heads up, they say that if you want both opti-coat and xpel that you need to do the xpel first because it won't stick to the ceramic finish. I thought it was weird to put a ceramic coat on top of the film but that's how they say it works.
Well, yes.

The ceramic coating is supposed to make it harder for bird poop and crud to stick to your car ... but you want the PPF to stick to the car.

Also, talk to your PPF installer. Some will want your car's paint to have cured for at least 30-60 days.
Appreciate 2
XPEL355.50
      11-06-2018, 05:04 PM   #27
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

XPEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pej7445 View Post
In preparation for my new m40i I'm looking at getting paint protection film and/or Opti-Coat Pro+

This is foreign territory for me, so I'm looking for suggestions and advice on what to get.

I was quoted the following:
"The most cost-effective solution and our best seller is the partial front end ($949.99) plus Opti Coat Pro+ ($1,299) to protect the entire car."

"For added protection, you could upgrade to the full front end ($1,950). Both kits allow you to add one pillars, rocker panels, door trim guard, luggage guard, etc. The best protection with the film would be the full wrap ($5,000 clear, $7,500 matte). You could add the ceramic coating to either kit (price above)."

I'm not spending $5000+ to wrap the car. In addition to the suggested protection, what do you think of these prices?

Thanks in advance!
Thank you for considering XPEL to protect your X3. As you can imagine, we protect A LOT of BMW's. A lot of them being 3 Series, X5, and you guessed it, X3's. The majority of X owners get the full front end protected. This is the full bumper, full hood, full front fenders, headlights, and side mirrors. As mentioned in your quote above, this package is generally in the $1,895 - $2,195 range. If you're taking friends and family along often then you'll want to add what we call the "Wear & Tear Package". This includes the door cups (so they don't get scratched when people grab the door handle to enter the vehicle), the door edges (so people don't damage the paint when opening your doors into things), and the luggage area (so you don't damage the paint when loading things into the back). Adding that package can add another couple hundred depending on how big the luggage strip is.

As many have mentioned on the thread (Shout out to all of you by the way for the XPEL love) -- if you want to protect your paint from rock chips and scratches then you want to go XPEL paint protection film. Ceramic coatings do not stop rock chips or scratches. That said, they are a great addition to PPF not a replacement to it.

If you haven't seen it yet, check out our ULTIMATE PLUS Video to see all the rigorous testing we put our film through. It's the world's clearest and most durable paint protection film.

XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS

Hope this info helps, let us know if we can answer any questions or help in any way.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #28
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPEL View Post
Thank you for considering XPEL to protect your X3. As you can imagine, we protect A LOT of BMW's. A lot of them being 3 Series, X5, and you guessed it, X3's. The majority of X owners get the full front end protected. This is the full bumper, full hood, full front fenders, headlights, and side mirrors. As mentioned in your quote above, this package is generally in the $1,895 - $2,195 range. If you're taking friends and family along often then you'll want to add what we call the "Wear & Tear Package". This includes the door cups (so they don't get scratched when people grab the door handle to enter the vehicle), the door edges (so people don't damage the paint when opening your doors into things), and the luggage area (so you don't damage the paint when loading things into the back). Adding that package can add another couple hundred depending on how big the luggage strip is.

As many have mentioned on the thread (Shout out to all of you by the way for the XPEL love) -- if you want to protect your paint from rock chips and scratches then you want to go XPEL paint protection film. Ceramic coatings do not stop rock chips or scratches. That said, they are a great addition to PPF not a replacement to it.

If you haven't seen it yet, check out our ULTIMATE PLUS Video to see all the rigorous testing we put our film through. It's the world's clearest and most durable paint protection film.

XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS

Hope this info helps, let us know if we can answer any questions or help in any way.

How much Just for the Bumper?
      11-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #29
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

XPEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
How much Just for the Bumper?

Just for the front bumper can range from $595 - $695 depending on front splitters and any extra pieces.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 07:58 PM   #30
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
I paid $1750 for my full front XPEL wrap + door cups, door handles, headlights, fog lights, trunk sill, and the roof (between my windshield and sunroof). I think next time I'll do the same + side skirts and then ceramic coat everything
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
pej744598.00
      10-14-2020, 12:25 AM   #31
Oliver1984
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

There are no questions about the quality of the F-Performance film, Even though it is cheaper than analogues, it perfectly copes with its tasks of protecting the paint coating of the car. Rain does not leave streaks on it, and children's pranks in the form of graffiti are easily washed off the film and no traces remain.
Appreciate 0