BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-20-2024, 05:23 PM   #23
Gr8ZongB58
Your Average B58'er
Rep
Drives: 19' X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonPJT View Post
Finally got everything 3d printed and test fitted! Install was all of about a minute.
Now go test it out! 🤣

It looks good though. Simplicity.
2019 X3 M40i - MHD STG2 HPFP E40ish | MHD FlexFuel Kit | TU HPFP | xHP stg 3 | VRSF catless downpipe | MST intake | BMS occ | Verus turbo heat shield | P3 V3 gauge w/ P3 ESVA | FTP Charge Pipe | RossRacing PCV v1 VTA | MSS Springs | RES Exhaust w/o valves | Vossen HF-5 21x9.5/10.5 265/295 PS4S | Yellow DRLs | Paragon Rotors w/P3 pads | GTS Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 05:25 PM   #24
AshtonPJT
BM3 Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8ZongB58 View Post
Now go test it out! 🤣

It looks good though. Simplicity.
My guess I throw it in drive and the PLA implodes on itself😂😂
Paul Johnson Tunes/ACX Solutions Shop/Development Car, XHP stage 3 with custom settings, CTS Downpipe, intake, Chargepipe, turbo inlet, coils, Nostrum Stage 1 Injectors and Nostrum Big Bore HPFP, Vargas PCV and Oil cap, HnR springs, ACX Rear poly bushing, ACX Intake scoop
Appreciate 1
dmicah802.00
      05-20-2024, 05:26 PM   #25
Gr8ZongB58
Your Average B58'er
Rep

Quote:
My guess I throw it in drive and the PLA implodes on itself😂😂
Hmm..maybe you can find the weak points by doing that? lol
2019 X3 M40i - MHD STG2 HPFP E40ish | MHD FlexFuel Kit | TU HPFP | xHP stg 3 | VRSF catless downpipe | MST intake | BMS occ | Verus turbo heat shield | P3 V3 gauge w/ P3 ESVA | FTP Charge Pipe | RossRacing PCV v1 VTA | MSS Springs | RES Exhaust w/o valves | Vossen HF-5 21x9.5/10.5 265/295 PS4S | Yellow DRLs | Paragon Rotors w/P3 pads | GTS Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 05:28 PM   #26
AshtonPJT
BM3 Tuner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm..maybe you can find the weak points by doing that? lol
It’ll all weak points with how I printed the model it’s like .8mm walls with 10% infil
Paul Johnson Tunes/ACX Solutions Shop/Development Car, XHP stage 3 with custom settings, CTS Downpipe, intake, Chargepipe, turbo inlet, coils, Nostrum Stage 1 Injectors and Nostrum Big Bore HPFP, Vargas PCV and Oil cap, HnR springs, ACX Rear poly bushing, ACX Intake scoop
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 05:29 PM   #27
Gr8ZongB58
Your Average B58'er
Rep

Real question: does the brace cross over the low pressure fuel line by the DME? Wondering because that is where my ethanol sensor is at.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 05:31 PM   #28
AshtonPJT
BM3 Tuner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Real question: does the brace cross over the low pressure fuel line by the DME? Wondering because that is where my ethanol sensor is at.
Send a picture and I’ll check
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 05:33 PM   #29
Gr8ZongB58
Your Average B58'er
Rep

Quote:
Send a picture and I’ll check
Bam
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 05:35 PM   #30
AshtonPJT
BM3 Tuner
United_States
Rep

It should clear but I’ll throw it back on and check
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2024, 05:42 PM   #31
Gr8ZongB58
Your Average B58'er
Rep

Since the print is just a prototype, would the end product have smooth transitions before the bolt points? Or would it look just like that?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 06:02 PM   #32
AshtonPJT
BM3 Tuner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Since the print is just a prototype, would the end product have smooth transitions before the bolt points? Or would it look just like that?
Depends on what everyone wants, I can do smooth or sharp like it it now, I like the sharp looks and the smooth to me makes it look bubbly
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 06:12 PM   #33
Gr8ZongB58
Your Average B58'er
Rep

Quote:
Depends on what everyone wants, I can do smooth or sharp like it it now, I like the sharp looks and the smooth to me makes it look bubbly
Yes the sharp does look better but my train of thought at the time is similar to how pre-bent cardboard is made. The sharp transition points will be the weakest especially when the thickest part of the brace is 90% of it.

Or possibly it is strong enough and be able to withstand the flex.. if the flex is very minimal.

Which leads me to the ultimate test with the almighty string! Attach a string from both ends tightly, go for a spirited drive, record the string slack somehow and then test again with the your new strut along with the string.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 12:35 PM   #34
Leem40i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

The existing 2 braces don't experience much flex so connecting to one strut tower bolt is ok. The actual strut brace that connects between the struts does and connecting to one bolt is not wise. The force should be balanced across the entire strut tower to so that it distributes evenly. One good hit to one wheel will either break the strut bar or worse, the strut bolt.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 01:10 PM   #35
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW x3 m40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leem40i View Post
The existing 2 braces don't experience much flex so connecting to one strut tower bolt is ok. The actual strut brace that connects between the struts does and connecting to one bolt is not wise. The force should be balanced across the entire strut tower to so that it distributes evenly. One good hit to one wheel will either break the strut bar or worse, the strut bolt.
If you get one good hit to the wheel to fuck up the strut bar, I would say you have other things to worry about.
Appreciate 1
Rottweiler4322.50
      05-21-2024, 01:47 PM   #36
Leem40i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr001 View Post
If you get one good hit to the wheel to fuck up the strut bar, I would say you have other things to worry about.
You're missing the point. It may not mess anything else up. That section is designed to flex a little so when you put a strut bar on that you eliminate it but in order to properly absorb that movement it has to be properly secured. If it's only tied to one nut it'll tear that nut up. Look at any other strut brace that's been made for performance and they all at a minimum cover at least two bolts, most go across the whole strut mount and use all the bolts
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 02:15 PM   #37
JonasM40i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i LCI

In my opinion, @Leem40i is correct. Im my eyes that one bolt solution is too risky. The X3M brace shows, how it's done.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 02:40 PM   #38
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You're missing the point. It may not mess anything else up. That section is designed to flex a little so when you put a strut bar on that you eliminate it but in order to properly absorb that movement it has to be properly secured. If it's only tied to one nut it'll tear that nut up. Look at any other strut brace that's been made for performance and they all at a minimum cover at least two bolts, most go across the whole strut mount and use all the bolts
Ok bud, I understand the point your trying to convey (poorly mannered btw). Yes in years past for different applications strut bars have used multiple points to be attach to the strut tower to disperse the load that is placed on it. Some strut tower braces use more than two holes for mounting because a two point mount can push the opposite strut tower to some degree. A three point mount can provide better resist movement.

The strut tower is not designed to flex a "little", that is the job of the suspension, the purpose of the strut tower brace is to reinforce the chassis from flexing past the point that the suspension has exerted on the rest of the body.

Now with that said, certain vehicles needed extra bracing to help the suspension do as it was intended, for example using a honda civic this vehicle under normal driving conditions was good, but if being pushed to its handling limit which the strut tower wasn't designed for needed help.

The X3 being a SUV or SAV ---whatever-- the strut tower was designed to be stronger. Looking at the tower you can see some of the extra steps BMW has designed built into the tower with the intention of giving it more rigidity to be able to handle some light off roading.

So for some of us that do take our vehicle past its intended handling limit a strut bar using a single mounting bolt will help, but yet not put it in dire manner as you have stated.

So am I really missing the point or just yours.

Last edited by Burr001; 05-21-2024 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 4
Keefy1749.00
Rottweiler4322.50
      05-21-2024, 02:43 PM   #39
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasM40i View Post
In my opinion, @Leem40i is correct. Im my eyes that one bolt solution is too risky. The X3M brace shows, how it's done.
Yes the X3M brace has a top hat that is used to attach to the strut tower because the S58 sits much higher in the engine bay than the B58. So with that being situated not on the actual tower an extra fastner is used.

Last edited by Burr001; 05-21-2024 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-21-2024, 09:23 PM   #40
GOGOII
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i, 325Ci e46

Have been looking for this for awhile! How much? I guess you have to PM me
Appreciate 1
AshtonPJT728.00
      05-22-2024, 06:51 AM   #41
Leem40i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok bud, I understand the point your trying to convey (poorly mannered btw). Yes in years past for different applications strut bars have used multiple points to be attach to the strut tower to disperse the load that is placed on it. Some strut tower braces use more than two holes for mounting because a two point mount can push the opposite strut tower to some degree. A three point mount can provide better resist movement.

The strut tower is not designed to flex a "little", that is the job of the suspension, the purpose of the strut tower brace is to reinforce the chassis from flexing past the point that the suspension has exerted on the rest of the body.

Now with that said, certain vehicles needed extra bracing to help the suspension do as it was intended, for example using a honda civic this vehicle under normal driving conditions was good, but if being pushed to its handling limit which the strut tower wasn't designed for needed help.

The X3 being a SUV or SAV ---whatever-- the strut tower was designed to be stronger. Looking at the tower you can see some of the extra steps BMW has designed built into the tower with the intention of giving it more rigidity to be able to handle some light off roading.

So for some of us that do take our vehicle past its intended handling limit a strut bar using a single mounting bolt will help, but yet not put it in dire manner as you have stated.

So am I really missing the point or just yours.
The point is if this strut brace is actually doing anything it should be mounted properly, not to one bolt. If the 2 strut towers are so rigid what's the point of the brace. It's one or the other. Now if this is just for aesthetics then have at it but if it's an actual performance part installing it to one bolt is wrong.

"The strut tower is not designed to flex a "little", that is the job of the suspension"

Don't get lost in the terminology because the end result is the same. If the chassis flexes it causes the strut towers to move as well, that's the whole purpose of the strut tower brace.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 11:22 AM   #42
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The point is if this strut brace is actually doing anything it should be mounted properly, not to one bolt. If the 2 strut towers are so rigid what's the point of the brace. It's one or the other. Now if this is just for aesthetics then have at it but if it's an actual performance part installing it to one bolt is wrong.

"The strut tower is not designed to flex a "little", that is the job of the suspension"

Don't get lost in the terminology because the end result is the same. If the chassis flexes it causes the strut towers to move as well, that's the whole purpose of the strut tower brace.
So since I don't want to lose you in the terminology, I'll put this in a way maybe you can relate too. Metal is hard, but when formed in a specific way it becomes harder. When pressure is applied to the harder metal at a constant state it will flex but it will also rebound back to the form it was in the first place once that force has stopped.

Now when driving in an autocross or track day the stock suspension was not on the engineer’s checklist of forces to be designed around. they need a little help to bring things all back in alignment so they will predictably handle as we expect it too.

The strut tower brace under normal driving conditions will be doing almost nothing, but by your own accord if your driving while hitting speed bumps, the G force pushing on the strut tower is so tremendous that there is a need for a multiple/full mounting plate/bolts to be used to spread the ungodly amount of pressure on the X3/4 chassis?

Your comprehension of this idea that the amount of force placed onto a single bolt while driving will sheer right off in this application is slightly misplaced. You do realize there are other components on your vehicle that are only using one bolt for mounting and those items are under constant moving forces/load.

I am not looking to pick a fight but Lee just because you read whatever was on reddit and took that as the truth and then come on here believing your opinion is correct on the matter is crazy.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2024, 11:45 AM   #43
Leem40i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So since I don't want to lose you in the terminology, I'll put this in a way maybe you can relate too. Metal is hard, but when formed in a specific way it becomes harder. When pressure is applied to the harder metal at a constant state it will flex but it will also rebound back to the form it was in the first place once that force has stopped.

Now when driving in an autocross or track day the stock suspension was not on the engineer’s checklist of forces to be designed around. they need a little help to bring things all back in alignment so they will predictably handle as we expect it too.

The strut tower brace under normal driving conditions will be doing almost nothing, but by your own accord if your driving while hitting speed bumps, the G force pushing on the strut tower is so tremendous that there is a need for a multiple/full mounting plate/bolts to be used to spread the ungodly amount of pressure on the X3/4 chassis?

Your comprehension of this idea that the amount of force placed onto a single bolt while driving will sheer right off in this application is slightly misplaced. You do realize there are other components on your vehicle that are only using one bolt for mounting and those items are under constant moving forces/load.

I am not looking to pick a fight but Lee just because you read whatever was on reddit and took that as the truth and then come on here believing your opinion is correct on the matter is crazy.
So let me clear something up because I think you believe you're talking to a 21 year old kid that Google searched the topic. I've been driving performance cars for over 30 years. I'm not going to list my resume but I know exactly how much chassis flexes and what a strut Tower brace is supposed to do. The argument you're making basically says that the car doesn't need a strut tower brace so you're going to have to pick your battle. Either it needs one or a doesn't. On one hand if it doesn't what your designing is unnecessary. On the other hand if it does the way it's mounted is ineffective.
By utilizing one bolt you're doing nothing to stop the chassis from flexing. The chassis can still Flex along with the strut Towers because you're only connecting to one bolt.
Here's a simple engineering test you can do to see the point. Take two small nightstand size tables and put a 3' long 2x4 across them and screw each end of the 2x4 down to the table at the very end of the table and at the very edge of the 2x4. Now both tables are tied together. Lift one table up and see what happens. The table will raise up and the 2x4 will flex and eventually pop the screw on the other table. Now get a 5 ft long 2x4 and instead of screwing it down to the outer edges of the tables let the 2x4 overlap on top of each table about a foot. Now install four screws spaced out equally across the one foot of 2x4 that is laying on the tables. Now pick up one table and see what happens. The one table will lift and the other table will stay in line with the first table and lift off the floor with it. That is the purpose of a strut Tower brace, to keep the suspension tracking evenly even though the chassis wants to flex. Using one bolt will not do that. I'm not arguing something that is debatable. I'm simply pointing out an engineering fact and a design flaw in your idea.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 12:00 PM   #44
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So let me clear something up because I think you believe you're talking to a 21 year old kid the Google search the topic. I've been driving performance cars for over 30 years. I'm not going to list my resume but I know exactly how much chassis flexes and what a strut Tower brace is supposed to do. The argument you're making basically says that the car doesn't need a truck tower race so you're going to have to pick your battle. Either it needs one or a doesn't. On one hand if it doesn't will your designing is unnecessary. On the other hand if it does the way it's mounted is ineffective.
By utilizing one belt you're doing nothing to stop the chassis from flexing. The chassis can still Flex along with the strut Towers because you're only connecting to one bolt.
Here's a simple engineering test you can do to see the point. Take two small nightstand size tables and put a 3' long 2x4 across them and screw each end of the two by four down to the table at the very end of the table and at the very edge of the 2x4. Now both tables are tied together. Lift one table up and see what happens. The table will raise up and the 2x4 will flex and eventually pop the screw on the other table. Now get a 5 ft long 2x4 and instead of screwing it down to the outer edges of the tables let the 2x4 overlap on top of each table about a foot. Now install four screws spaced out equally across the one foot of 2x4 that is laying on the tables. Now pick up one table and see what happens. The one table will lift and the other table will stay in line with the first table and lift off the floor with [...]
Great, I have been road racing before getting my actual drivers license and Im turning 50 this year, I understand the dynamics of what the suspension is doing and have actually driven/built alot of track purpose vehicles along the way.

Your this old house with bob villa test sounds like you googled that and copied and pasted it here but I digress. You have a great day.
Appreciate 0