BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-18-2023, 11:57 AM   #23
steve@codemybimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroturtle View Post
I had codemybimmer enable Anti-Dazzle for my 2020 X3M and I don't know if it just sucks for this year or if it's not coded correctly/completely. I definitely do not see any 'box' around the vehicle in front of me when driving. I tested last night and had someone else drive my X3M while I drove in front of them. With ADHB enabled, it appears from the car in front as if the outer lights were HB and the middle lights were LB. It definitely felt like I was following someone using their HB.

Can anyone else with a 2020 who has had this coded tell me about their experience? If this is as good as it gets, I'm just going to revert to factory coding because I don't feel these are safe to use.
I managed to find a video online of a G01 X3 with this feature coded on Youtube and the high beams do follow the vehicle in front and also dim on oncoming traffic but no box that you are referring to. Is this what you are seeing as well?

We've coded this feature for many vehicles varying from F chassis equipped with Active LEDs to G chassis equipped with lasers / matrix LEDs so the results may vary based on the chassis and headlight equipment that you are running. Based on our Feedback from other customers, this seems to work best on F chassis Active LEDs and G chassis matrix LED / laser headlights.

The 2020 F97 X3M is not a very common chassis that we get requests from but do let me know and we can double check to ensure that everything is coded correctly and we can also have this changed back to factory if desired.

You'll also see on threads such as this one that there is no box on this particular setup.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1901098

Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 03-18-2023 at 12:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 12:03 PM   #24
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
I managed to find a video online of a G01 X3 with this feature coded on Youtube and the high beams do follow the vehicle in front and also dim on oncoming traffic but no box that you are referring to. Is this what you are seeing as well?

We've coded this feature for many vehicles varying from F chassis equipped with Active LEDs to G chassis equipped with lasers / matrix LEDs so the results may vary based on the chassis and headlight equipment that you are running. Based on our Feedback from other customers, this seems to work best on F chassis Active LEDs and G chassis matrix LED / laser headlights.

The 2020 F97 X3M is not a very common chassis that we get requests from but do let me know and we can double check to ensure that everything is coded correctly and we can also have this changed back to factory if desired.

Pretty sure mine work better than this, they follow the car in front in a pokcet, and oncoming traffic in a pocket as well, just drove back from florida and it was working wonders even at long distance.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 12:06 PM   #25
steve@codemybimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
Pretty sure mine work better than this, they follow the car in front in a pokcet, and oncoming traffic in a pocket as well, just drove back from florida and it was working wonders even at long distance.
If you have a '22 it would be a LCI and you would be running on the newer Matrix LED headlights which is made up a cluster of miniature LEDs. The coding process on these would also be very different since you would have BDC_BODY3, KAFAS4, FLM2.

The last poster was referring to his 2020 which uses the LED headlights with the mechanical swivel mechanism.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 03-18-2023 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
thestimp1031.50
      03-18-2023, 04:56 PM   #26
Nitroturtle
Rep
Drives: 2021 A91 Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post

You'll also see on threads such as this one that there is no box on this particular setup.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1901098
Thanks, Steve. I do want to mention I've been 100% satisfied with the service and support from CodeMyBimmer and would recommend you guys to anyone. I was just looking for feedback from others with 2020 models to see if their experience with the ADHB was consistant with what I'm seeing.

I can definitely see how the 2020 models are a bit unique. My understanding is that 2020 is the only model X3M with iDrive6, with 2021 getting SP15 iDrive7 (lite) and then the LCI models getting SP18 iDrive7. With that said, the video I was using for reference was this:

This video was from 10 years ago, so I assumed the 2020 headlights would be at least at this level, though I could be completely wrong. At 2:34 in the video, it shows the high beams diverge to surround the car in front and I'm definitely not seeing this happen. From the vantage point of the car in front, it 100% looks like my outer high beams are shining directly into the center rear view mirror. In fact, we were using a pickup truck for testing, I can only imagine it would be even worse in a vehicle that sits lower to the ground.

Last edited by Nitroturtle; 03-18-2023 at 07:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2023, 07:36 PM   #27
Edgar_FriendlyX3M
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf_GL View Post
It works really well on the LCI. I agree it was not as clearly defined with just the Bimmercode coding. Once the settings in the KAFAS module was updated through Protool, the results were outstanding with very well defined tunnelling.
So I'm wondering if you're onto something here. I noticed in Protool one or two settings appeared to be disabled. I also couldn't find the specific kafas section from the person that posted how they did theirs via Protool
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 09:11 PM   #28
steve@codemybimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar_FriendlyX3M View Post
So I'm wondering if you're onto something here. I noticed in Protool one or two settings appeared to be disabled. I also couldn't find the specific kafas section from the person that posted how they did theirs via Protool
You actually wouldn’t have those parameters since you’re running on the pre-LCI KAFAS4.

Those instructions would only apply to the G05, G07, F95, G20, G80, F97 LCI etc.

I believe you should have US sensitivity mode which can be set to normal on your version of KAFAS4 and that likely is already enabled if you had yours coded through us.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 11:07 PM   #29
steve@codemybimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, Steve. I do want to mention I've been 100% satisfied with the service and support from CodeMyBimmer and would recommend you guys to anyone. I was just looking for feedback from others with 2020 models to see if their experience with the ADHB was consistant with what I'm seeing.

I can definitely see how the 2020 models are a bit unique. My understanding is that 2020 is the only model X3M with iDrive6, with 2021 getting SP15 iDrive7 (lite) and then the LCI models getting SP18 iDrive7. With that said, the video I was using for reference was this:

This video was from 10 years ago, so I assumed the 2020 headlights would be at least at this level, though I could be completely wrong. At 2:34 in the video, it shows the high beams diverge to surround the car in front and I'm definitely not seeing this happen. From the vantage point of the car in front, it 100% looks like my outer high beams are shining directly into the center rear view mirror. In fact, we were using a pickup truck for testing, I can only imagine it would be even worse in a vehicle that sits lower to the ground.
Glad to hear that you’re satisfied with our service!

I would say that the Adaptive LEDs are not fully the same on all models compared to their European counterparts. For the F01 7 series in the video, you might not have the exact same result in the US version with GFHB enabled through coding as some models don’t have the same internals as their ECE equivalent. Some models such has the F36, F15, F80 etc have little hardware differences when compared to their European counterparts which is why you often see them work perfectly on videos searched on YouTube.

In the case of the 2022 F97 X3M LCI, these would have the Matrix LEDs which are made up of a cluster of miniature LEDs as opposed to relying on shutters and a swivel mechanism so that is why the effect is much more apparent on SP18 vehicles with this newer type of technology.

The tunnel effect also varies on the distance between you and the vehicle in front so that’s something to keep in mind as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 02:55 AM   #30
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

This is a really cool feature & wonder how my 2020 X3 MC with iDrive 6 with the US / North America version headlights would react to this coding...

2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 04:47 PM   #31
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
This is a really cool feature & wonder how my 2020 X3 MC with iDrive 6 with the US / North America version headlights would react to this coding...

I have the coding done on my 2020 X4MC (with ID6) my build date is 10/10/19 and it works GREAT!
I paid to have it done, didn't do it myself though...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 09:04 PM   #32
Nitroturtle
Rep
Drives: 2021 A91 Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95wildtt View Post
I have the coding done on my 2020 X4MC (with ID6) my build date is 10/10/19 and it works GREAT!
I paid to have it done, didn't do it myself though...
Have you ever done any testing to see how they appear from the car in front? We tested using a mid-size pickup and I could see light up as high as the top of the cab near the center brake light while following. Easily high enough to be seen in the rear view mirror. I was also able to confirm my observation while driving the pickup, the outer beams never appear to dim. The difference between low beams and auto-high beams was quite noticeable and appeared as if the driver had turned on their brights. Only the outer lights appeared to be high beams though, and forcing full high beams turned on the center high beams but the outer lights appeared the same.

At this point, I feel like it has to be one of these:
  • Previous coding causing issues (purchased used and definitely see evidence of prior Bimmercode usage)
  • Outdated vehicle software (appeared to be on original software version, local indy shop updated some but not all modules)
  • Headlights need to be adjusted (they are self leveling right? should I check this?)
  • Higher expections (others seem satisfied but it feels like I'm blinding people)

Would love to hear more feedback from 2020 owners. Specifically anyone that's tested from another vehicle. I've read some BMW models have different part numbers for Euro headlights, but I've also read that isn't the case for the X3M. If they are missing hardware to operate at full capacity I can understand the current functionality.

I also had speed limit assistant coded and it has a weird little glitch. When signaling a speed limit change it will outline the speed limit sign in the HUD with a green line. When this happens, I see a ghost image of the circular euro sign in the top right corner of the US sign. This feature wasn't listed in the options they offered, but Steve was able to accommodate my request. But now it makes me wonder if that could be having any impact?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 09:11 AM   #33
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Quote:
Have you ever done any testing to see how they appear from the car in front? We tested using a mid-size pickup and I could see light up as high as the top of the cab near the center brake light while following. Easily high enough to be seen in the rear view mirror. I was also able to confirm my observation while driving the pickup, the outer beams never appear to dim. The difference between low beams and auto-high beams was quite noticeable and appeared as if the driver had turned on their brights. Only the outer lights appeared to be high beams though, and forcing full high beams turned on the center high beams but the outer lights appeared the same.

At this point, I feel like it has to be one of these:
  • Previous coding causing issues (purchased used and definitely see evidence of prior Bimmercode usage)
  • Outdated vehicle software (appeared to be on original software version, local indy shop updated some but not all modules)
  • Headlights need to be adjusted (they are self leveling right? should I check this?)
  • Higher expections (others seem satisfied but it feels like I'm blinding people)

Would love to hear more feedback from 2020 owners. Specifically anyone that's tested from another vehicle. I've read some BMW models have different part numbers for Euro headlights, but I've also read that isn't the case for the X3M. If they are missing hardware to operate at full capacity I can understand the current functionality.

I also had speed limit assistant coded and it has a weird little glitch. When signaling a speed limit change it will outline the speed limit sign in the HUD with a green line. When this happens, I see a ghost image of the circular euro sign in the top right corner of the US sign. This feature wasn't listed in the options they offered, but Steve was able to accommodate my request. But now it makes me wonder if that could be having any impact?
Yes, I've followed others and they verified no blinding light in the rear-veiw mirror (beyond just normal LED headlights ) also I can clearly see the driver's side outer beam dim when approaching another car and also move to the center of the road. There is a ton of movement and change of intensity easily seen from the driver's seat, very easy to see it's working as expected.

I suspect your coding may not be complete.
FYI, I'm still on the original vehicle SW level also, I've had too many things coded to change now, and everything is working as I like.

I know there are several great coders on this forum, so please support them.
Just FYI, this is who I used and he (Rich) was awesome:
https://ohptools.com/pages/remote-coding-assistance
Appreciate 2
      06-03-2023, 11:49 PM   #34
Stlnation
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar_FriendlyX3M View Post
Ya know, I noticed similar results on my 2020 x3m as well. Codemybimmer did it too for mine. I have Protool now and am going to code it again later today to see how it is.
Currently compared to some videos I've seen that have literally the exact same headlights as mine, I dont think it's quite up to par.
Did you ever try the protool route?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 08:34 PM   #35
roadkillrob
Major General
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyo View Post
Here's my post on it.

ProTool Steps:
  1. Change Vehicle Order (VO) and remove 5AP option
  2. App factory coded the HEADUNIT and BDC
  3. In BDC coding, there is a popular option to enable Anti-Dazzle (Step 1). Per their support, this toggles various options in the ECU
  4. In KAFAS coding, enable Anti-Dazzle Improved Dynamics

If the color of your car changes after factory coding HEADUNIT, locate VEHICLE_COLOUR in HU coding and change appropriately.
Also, I used this thread and checked additional settings for good measure.
Has anyone had an issue with step 4 here, I have a 2022 X3M with Adaptive LED's and in the KAFAS I cannot find any setting that mentions anti-dazzle improved dynamics, otherwise the first 3 steps worked no issue, just wondering if something has changed with updated software or if I am missing something somehow.

Thanks

Rob
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 09:18 PM   #36
roadkillrob
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Has anyone had an issue with step 4 here, I have a 2022 X3M with Adaptive LED's and in the KAFAS I cannot find any setting that mentions anti-dazzle improved dynamics, otherwise the first 3 steps worked no issue, just wondering if something has changed with updated software or if I am missing something somehow.

Thanks

Rob
I had an idea that maybe Kafas needed default coded after removing 5ap but no difference still no option to codes. Wondering if it is because it is an early 22 car made in nov 21 or because it was a Covid car where some things were being changed abnormally it seems to have a KAFAS 4 camera unit.

Will have to see how it works without that option coded but sounds like it may not be as precise.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 09:48 PM   #37
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyA320 View Post
Has anyone coded theirs to the Euro spec lighting? Coded my F80 years ago and did a quick search on the G80 coding forum but am looking to see if anyone has specifically done it on the F97. Thanks!
I did on my F98, then it got wiped when I had the dealer update the whole chassis to improve the suspension dampening. It was sweet, but more gimmicky than anything else... but to each is their own, as I live in a downtown urban setting.. where I rarely drive on dark highways. Worked well no doubt, just see if you really need it.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 08:50 AM   #38
roadkillrob
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spucktacular View Post
I did on my F98, then it got wiped when I had the dealer update the whole chassis to improve the suspension dampening. It was sweet, but more gimmicky than anything else... but to each is their own, as I live in a downtown urban setting.. where I rarely drive on dark highways. Worked well no doubt, just see if you really need it.
I did it on my F97, I moved out of the city where I never probably used high beams in 20 years out to the country so I use auto high beams all the time now and the auto high beams are not the best, they get fooled a lot with reflections and dim when they should not - I find my old 2012 mercedes auto high beams are actually a lot better (or maybe less smart) but they dim a bit sooner, react earlier and false way less I find. So was hoping maybe the anti-dazzle would be better and nicer since it allows more light but maybe doesn't dim or false as often as it won't turn them off just reduce glare, but ya we will see, will be out driving in the dark tonight and see what happens.

Still odd the one setting is just missing on mine.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2023, 02:31 PM   #39
TacosRule!
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

Quote:

Thanks

Rob
Same here. My 2022 LCI F97 doesnt show it. I used the "auto" config option on protool. I have been driving in total blackness or with very little ambient light other that car headlights, and I do not see the tunnel effect nor do I see the left light doing its dance with oncoming traffic. I get flashed high beams.

The auto config feature on protool is supposed to change the vehicle order. I checked after running the setting and found that the VO does indeed change and the 5AP option is gone.

Will this feature only work if you have high beams manually on? I always leave my lights in A, and even though the high beam indicator lights up, the beams really dont go as high as with manual high beams.

Dont know if this makes sense. I'm fixing other screw ups I did, but when I'm done with that I'll start emailing protools and see why its not working.

Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Last edited by TacosRule!; 09-16-2023 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 05:24 PM   #40
roadkillrob
Major General
Rep

So mine does seem to work totally fine, I manually changed the VO and then coded then default coded the 2 control units it suggested, Headunit and BDC (needed to change my vehicle color back to actual color in the headunit after that as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Then I ran the popular option enable anti dazzle (step 1) no idea why it is called this as there is no step 2.

I don't have the KAFAS option anywhere to turn on Improved Dynamics, KAFAS 4, MY 2022 built November 2021.

Driving at night I leave the headlights on auto and I see them do their dance, even on the interstate the highbeam indicator comes on and light moves around other cars, on backroads high beams stay on pretty much all the time unless a lot of ambient light and you see it just go dark near the oncoming car - no one has ever flashed me like I have my high beams on.

So seems pretty good, works better than standard auto high beams for sure, just weird the KAFAS option is gone, maybe it is my version of KAFAS module or just updated software removed the option, not sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 06:11 PM   #41
TacosRule!
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

Quote:
So mine does seem to work totally fine, I manually changed the VO and then coded then default coded the 2 control units it suggested, Headunit and BDC (needed to change my vehicle color back to actual color in the headunit after that as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Then I ran the popular option enable anti dazzle (step 1) no idea why it is called this as there is no step 2.

I don't have the KAFAS option anywhere to turn on Improved Dynamics, KAFAS 4, MY 2022 built November 2021.

Driving at night I leave the headlights on auto and I see them do their dance, even on the interstate the highbeam indicator comes on and light moves around other cars, on backroads high beams stay on pretty much all the time unless a lot of ambient light and you see it just go dark near the oncoming car - no one has ever flashed me like I have my high beams on.

So seems pretty good, works better than standard auto high beams for sure, just weird the KAFAS option is gone, maybe it is my version of KAFAS module or just updated software removed the option, not sure.

Thanks for chiming in, i'll redo it and follow your steps as well. They're the same that others posted before, not sure why it didnt work the first time, but then again lots of things have been wonky with this truck, thank heavens for warranty
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 06:55 PM   #42
pyo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:

Hrm, I'm MY2022 built 9/2021 and I was able to code the KAFAS option... I will note, sometimes KAFAS doesn't show but when I reconnect it will come up...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 01:04 PM   #43
Golf_GL
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3MC Brooklyn Grey

Quote:

If I recall correctly, Protool said there is no need to turn on the popular option to turn on Anti dazzle. VO coding takes care of all of that. If you go back into BDC, you'll likely see that the popular option to enable is inactive again. You only need to do that if you haven't edited VO to remove 5AP.

All of this is probably not related to you KAFAS issue but just FYI Kafas works on my 23, screenshot attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DBU236.50
      09-25-2023, 01:37 PM   #44
pyo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyo View Post
Hrm, I'm MY2022 built 9/2021 and I was able to code the KAFAS option... I will note, sometimes KAFAS doesn't show but when I reconnect it will come up...
Just checked today, on initial connect did not see KAFAS. Disconnected and connected again, and it showed up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0