BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-10-2018, 05:56 PM   #23
XXX3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtespar View Post
So you can find the parts on bmw parts site. I would assume everything should be able to be retrofitted as the parts have to be replaced in the event of an accident. From what I’ve said above, I think all the parts are availsble but it may be impossible to code the added module. This may be what the BMW technician was referring to. I’ll try to get some clarification and post back.
I tried purchasing the OEM hitch at my BMW dealership, and it’s not yet available. I asked a service advisor about installing an aftermarket hitch (stealth) and they said no, they will only install a factory OEM hitch. I found a very well respected body shop in San Diego (Custom Auto Body) that will install the Eco Stealth hitch.
2013 Boss 302 Race Red (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 09:39 AM   #24
stelthy
1 Series Wanna-Be
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalanjohn View Post
Any plans for BMW factory hitch to be available for dealer install?
According to my dealer, no, not right now. That of course doesn't mean anything, as the dealers are usually the last to know.

Now, he did say, that in the past, they have installed hitches by purchasing the parts, and putting them on. But that costs thousands, mostly because of the different bumper, and then painting required.

My car is equipped with: S8SLA Trailer coupling preparation

So I am hoping I can just plug in the control unit and wiring. I will utilize the stealth hitch so I don't have to replace and paint the bumper. I will have to fabricate some sort of mount for the wiring plugs, but I am not too nervous about that.

I called Invisihitch and they said that they don't have a date yet for the G01. But they do always have the wiring integrated into BMW's systems and offer coding with their hitches. Their setup for the f25 is $1200 if I remember correctly, but includes everything, including coding.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 05:04 PM   #25
PachoX3
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 X series

Thanks for sharing the pics of the aftermarket tow hitch install. Considering something similar (add'l brake controller) for the exact same model/year. Images really help!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 12:50 PM   #26
RoyG01
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive30i 2020

Be aware! I just purchased as xDrive30i (2020) without a hitch, but was advised it has Trailer Preparation (i.e. plug and pay for the electrics) for an easy post purchase factory hitch install. After doing the install myself (quite straightforward vs the 5+ hours @ 150/hr dealer would charge), and looking to"plug it in" I could find no Trailer Prep connection (suppose to be at at the rear Power Distribrution Box). It was not there! My dealer has looked into this and they have found BMW has recently sent a notice to dealers (August, 2020) these vehicle will no longer have Trailer Prep installed effective from a date prior to my purchase (not sure when it was effective). My dealer is now trying to figure out if the electrics can be hooked up without significant internal re-wiring... Not sure, but this will likely also impact on non-factory aftermarket installs because required wires are now not as easy to find in the vehicles wiring spaghetti... and looks like it requires a whole different Power Distribution Box (High vs Basic).

Nice Job BMW!
Appreciate 0