BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-07-2023, 11:22 AM   #23
OciWan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 m40i

Garage List
2022 X4m40i  [10.00]
I would just contact a lemon law lawyer and call it a day. Not sure how your state works but here in CA it’s pretty easy and straightforward. They all work on contingency and will only take your case if they know they will win. You just need a copy of all the records. I was able to lemon law a Mercedes after 4 years of owing the car.
Appreciate 1
lfdal541206.50
      05-07-2023, 12:04 PM   #24
bocabimmer
Found the Search Button
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 30i, 2003 330i ZHP

Garage List
2003 330i  [10.00]
2022 BMW X3 30i xDrive  [10.00]
I’m with TXGrey on this totally. I mean, if the problem is “simply” the powder coating replacing the wheels with fresh factory wheels ought to fix it, eh?

We all know the answer to that. And that would invalidate that field engineer’s claims immediately.

Previous BMWs: 2018 330i (F30), 2014 i3 BEV, 2007 328i (E92), 2013 X5 35i (E70), 2014 i3 BEV, 2006 325i (E90)
Appreciate 1
lfdal541206.50
      05-07-2023, 12:05 PM   #25
BlackedOutBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Powdercoated wheels obviously have nothing to do with this at all.

The calipers must be sticking and dragging on the rotors, causing excessive heat and “warping” or pad deposits.

The calipers need replace, fluid change, and perhaps even the master brake cylinder.
Tell the dealer to swap the wheels for OEM ones…. I’m sure they have some sitting around and drive the car with these wheels. Or, not that you want to spend more money, but get a cheap set of OE wheels off eBay/Facebook/this forum.

But you need to go back to the dealer that sold you this car. Ask to speak to a different engineer. Ask to speak with the shop manager or GM and, in writing , get them to explain to how powdercoated wheels has any impact on your brakes whatsoever.

Lastly, go to a different dealership. Who cares if it’s a few hours away… yea it’s inconvenient but so is having a car that is 1) not working 2) not safe to drive as who knows what is truly wrong with the brakes. BMW dealers should give you a free loaner while the inspect/fix it.

If you have a local Indy shop that knows BMWs, it wouldn’t hurt to have them check it out and inspect the car and make a recommendation.

Try to keep a level head with the dealers you’re dealing with… at the end of the day it’s just people and being nice and calm can help as annoying, frustrating, and as stupid as they act sometime.

Once again, get everything in writing.
Be ready to lawyer up.

Good luck.

Last edited by BlackedOutBimmer; 05-07-2023 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 01:26 PM   #26
avidfan
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40i, M440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post

The calipers must be sticking and dragging on the roots, causing excessive heat and “warping” or pad deposits.

The calipers need replace, fluid change, and perhaps even the master brake cylinder.
Tell the dealer to swap the wheels for OEM ones…. I’m sure they have some sitting around and drive the car with these wheels. Or, not that you want to spend more money, but get a cheap set of OE wheels off eBay/Facebook/this forum.

But you need to go back to the dealer that sold you this car. Ask to speak to a different engineer. Ask to speak with the shop manager or GM and, in writing , get them to explain to how powdercoated wheels has any impact on your brakes whatsoever.

Lastly, go to a different dealership. Who cares if it’s a few hours away… yea it’s inconvenient but so is having a car that is 1) not working 2) not safe to drive as who knows what is truly wrong with the brakes. BMW dealers should give you a free loaner while the inspect/fix it.

If you have a local Indy shop that knows BMWs, it wouldn’t hurt to have them check it out and inspect the car and make a recommendation.

Try to keep a level head with the dealers you’re dealing with… at the end of the day it’s just people and being nice and calm can help as annoying, frustrating, and as stupid as they act sometime.

Be ready to lawyer up.

Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post

The calipers must be sticking and dragging on the roots, causing excessive heat and “warping” or pad deposits.

Be ready to lawyer up.

Good luck.
I agree.. no one I have talked to, including some high end car mechanics think it has anything to do with the powder coating. Here is the problem: i asked them if the engineer swapped tires on the car to verify that it was the cause. They said “no, he did not… but it would do no good because your rotors and pads are already ruined again and BMW will not cover replacing them again”. So there was no point in switching wheels. It also gives them the ability to say if i fix them myself, but the problem is still present, they can say it is because the car had been modified. I gaurantee you they will not honor any warranty on the brake system. If BMW is that petty over rotors, they sure are not going to replace all the callipers. I specifically asked if they went through and verified the callipers were working properly and they claimed it was done. When they had my car for 2 weeks they had BMWNA ( i assume an engineer ) walk them through the entire brake system twice. And what are the odds of 4 callipers malfunctioning. I think that is why they went with replacing the electronic stability control module. Because it malfunctioning would affect all the brakes… and they saw it was actuating the brakes without pressing the pedal while driving it on a lift. When I picked it up after those 2 weeks I did not have much confidence it was fixed because no one in the service department would say “we finally figured it out”. They actually had my service advisor tell me “BMW NA says if it happens again, then it is something you are doing to the brakes”.

This scared the crap out of me, and it is when I contacted BMW of NA. The rep was super nice and empathized with me and told me “ they would either fix the car or find a solution to help me.” She asked me what I wanted and I just said to be able to drive and enjoy my car, but at this point I am scared of it and if possible I would really just like some trade in help to purchase a brand new one. Me and my wife had already decided we would just start buying mine new like hers. After she contacted my dealer, she just said they would like to do a trade assist. I assume they are sick of seeing my car that they can not fix. Engineer finds out that wheels are powder coated and not “factory”, then BMW NA says they are done with me and will do nothing.

I told her it was certified that way and that i have the pics and video from the dealer showing they were coated when I bought it… she did not care and said the field engineer can not be over ruled in any way. It doesnt matter that official bmw dealerships advertise online that they powder coat rims and callipers and that “it does not affect your warranty”. She told me there was no one above her to talk to and I have not been able to get my dealership to give me an invoice just stating what the engineer found. I am in process of trying to talk to the original dealership. They asked me for an invoice stating what the engineer found, they also told me they have their own field engineer. The original dealership said they would look into it, but then threw a salesperson on me who offered me bottom dollar on my car and full price on another CPO. Why would I buy a CPO with what has happened? Get a little newer car, but i would have paid enough to purchase an X4 M40i completely loaded?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 06:58 PM   #27
mattsheng
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive 30i

Garage List
So sorry to hear what you are going through!

First of all, there is no way that powder-coated wheels can cause your brake issues unless your brake calipers are also powder-coated and were done improperly. It is a shame that the field engineer (BMW calls them technical support engineers TSE) is blaming you for their mistake.

TSE: Even though these TSEs are called "engineers" they don't necessarily have an engineering degree. Most of them were trained as BMW master technicians. Whenever the shop foreman (also previously BMW master tech) at a dealer can't figure out the issue or doesn't want to throw parts at a car, they submit a TSARA/PuMA case to BMW NA and they assign a regional TSE to help out the dealer. But TSEs don't want to be liable for approving significant repairs (parts that require TeileClearing) without knowing the root cause, so that is most likely why your TSE blames the brake issue on powder-coated wheels. If you bring your car back to the dealer you purchased from, you might get a different TSE since TSEs are regional. I'm not sure if a TSE can overrule a different TSE's diagnosis but it might be worth a shot.

Trade Assist: I have my fair share of dealing with BMW NA on trade assist and it was frustrating. Here is how it usually goes. Once you called the BMW customer hotline and complained about your issue, the receptionist will create a case for you and assign a case manager to your case. The case managers are nobody and they always say nice things just to claim you down. They are just liaisons between you and the BMW regional customer relation manager. All trade assist deals go through the regional manager. The regional manager will call the general service manager (GSM) at your dealer asking about your repair order (RO). The regional manager and the GSM will assess whether your RO will cause BMW any trouble and decide what level of trade assist, if any, they will provide. So if your GSM didn't put in some good words with the regional manager, your trade assist request will most likely be denied. If you bring your car to a different dealer, the GSM and the TSE may reassess your RO and potentially put in some good words with the regional manager, which can boost your chance of getting a trade assist. The level of trade assist varies from case to case but expect to lose some money for using the car over the 6 months...

Lemon law: This usually only applies to new cars but it varies from state to state. If the law is in your favor, go ahead! But like trade assist, you will lose the depreciation for owning your cars for 6 months.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 11:24 PM   #28
avidfan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsheng View Post

First of all, there is no way that powder-coated wheels can cause your brake issues unless your brake calipers are also powder-coated and were done improperly. It is a shame that the field engineer (BMW calls them technical support engineers TSE) is blaming you for their mistake.

TSE: Even though these TSEs are called "engineers" they don't necessarily have an engineering degree. Most of them were trained as BMW master technicians. Whenever the shop foreman (also previously BMW master tech) at a dealer can't figure out the issue or doesn't want to throw parts at a car, they submit a TSARA/PuMA case to BMW NA and they assign a regional TSE to help out the dealer. But TSEs don't want to be liable for approving significant repairs (parts that require TeileClearing) without knowing the root cause, so that is most likely why your TSE blames the brake issue on powder-coated wheels. If you bring your car back to the dealer you purchased from, you might get a different TSE since TSEs are regional. I'm not sure if a TSE can overrule a different TSE's diagnosis but it might be worth a shot.

Trade Assist: I have my fair share of dealing with BMW NA on trade assist and it was frustrating. Here is how it usually goes. Once you called the BMW customer hotline and complained about your issue, the receptionist will create a case for you and assign a case manager to your case. The case managers are nobody and they always say nice things just to claim you down. They are just liaisons between you and the BMW regional customer relation manager. All trade assist deals go through the regional manager. The regional manager will call the general service manager (GSM) at your dealer asking about your repair order (RO). The regional manager and the GSM will assess whether your RO will cause BMW any trouble and decide what level of trade assist, if any, they will provide. So if your GSM didn't put in some good words with the regional manager, your trade assist request will most likely be denied. If you bring your car to a different dealer, the GSM and the TSE may reassess your RO and potentially put in some good words with the regional manager, which can boost your chance of getting a trade assist. The level of trade assist varies from case to case but expect to lose some money for using the car over the 6 months...

Lemon law: This usually only applies to new cars but it varies from state to state. If the law is in your favor, go ahead! But like trade assist, you will lose the depreciation for owning your cars for 6 months.

Good luck!
Quote:

Good luck!
Thank you so much for the info! It is interesting that the GM can have pull on getting the trade assist done. The service manager acted like he went all out and tried to get the TSE to take care of me, but that he had no sway or influence over the TSE. They made it out that the lone wolf TSE came in and he alone makes the decision with no influence.

The Atlanta area dealership did tell me that they have their own TSE. I am definitely trying to give them a chance to make it right. They did ask for a invoice or something showing what the TSE ruled. I talked to my service advisor and he said he would fax it over shortly. It was almost closing time for them after waiting 6 hours to receive the email, so I contacted him again and said “ i never have gotten the email and wanted to make sure they had the correct address.” He told me “maybe not, let me check”. Then never responded and they have been closed since. Do you think they will not allow me to have anything showing their TSE ruling? Would they want to make things difficult for me? I told the service advisor, who i thought i had a good relationship with, the reason I needed it and he originally acted like its no problem and said to let him know what happens. I just wonder if he was told not to send it by his boss? My dad and I are going to the dealership in the morning to ask for it in person.

I was able to read some stories about trade assist. I know they deduct the miles you have driven and that I would still have to pay some money to make it work, but at that point my wife and I had already decided to only buy new from now on because of this experience.

It has been hard on me because I can not help taking it personally. I have become a fan of the brand and finally found something I truly enjoyed driving. I want them so bad to do something reasonable because there really is no other car I want. 2 weeks ago I was bragging on how BMW NA took care of the issue with my car to friends and family. I spent all week building X4’s online and then it all evaporated with the TSE ruling.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 11:34 PM   #29
mattsheng
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avidfan View Post
Thank you so much for the info! It is interesting that the GM can have pull on getting the trade assist done. The service manager acted like he went all out and tried to get the TSE to take care of me, but that he had no sway or influence over the TSE. They made it out that the lone wolf TSE came in and he alone makes the decision with no influence.

The Atlanta area dealership did tell me that they have their own TSE. I am definitely trying to give them a chance to make it right. They did ask for a invoice or something showing what the TSE ruled. I talked to my service advisor and he said he would fax it over shortly. It was almost closing time for them after waiting 6 hours to receive the email, so I contacted him again and said “ i never have gotten the email and wanted to make sure they had the correct address.” He told me “maybe not, let me check”. Then never responded and they have been closed since. Do you think they will not allow me to have anything showing their TSE ruling? Would they want to make things difficult for me? I told the service advisor, who i thought i had a good relationship with, the reason I needed it and he originally acted like its no problem and said to let him know what happens. I just wonder if he was told not to send it by his boss? My dad and I are going to the dealership in the morning to ask for it in person.

I was able to read some stories about trade assist. I know they deduct the miles you have driven and that I would still have to pay some money to make it work, but at that point my wife and I had already [...]
I should have been more clear. The GSM has a say in the case if the TSE thinks there is a manufacturing defect that is covered under warranty. The TSE should be unbiased to both the customer and the dealer.

I don't think the other dealer needs the invoice stating what the TSE ruled. If your repair order with your servicing dealer is closed, the RO will be fully documented on BMW's server and other dealers can see what was going on. Have your purchasing dealer search your VIN on BMW AIR (Aftersale Information Research). It can pull all service records of your VIN at BMW dealers. In fact you can access that information yourself at BMW TIS https://bmwtechinfo.bmwgroup.com/ But it costs $32/day...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 12:16 AM   #30
avidfan
Rep

Quote:
I should have been more clear. The GSM has a say in the case if the TSE thinks there is a manufacturing defect that is covered under warranty. The TSE should be unbiased to both the customer and the dealer.

I don't think the other dealer needs the invoice stating what the TSE ruled. If your repair order with your servicing dealer is closed, the RO will be fully documented on BMW's server and other dealers can see what was going on. Have your purchasing dealer search your VIN on BMW AIR (Aftersale Information Research). It can pull all service records of your VIN at BMW dealers. In fact you can access that information yourself at BMW TIS https://bmwtechinfo.bmwgroup.com/ But it costs $32/day...
Thanks again for more helpful info! The dealer I purchased from said that they see all the repair work, but said there was nothing there regarding the TSE inspection. He looked up my info and pulled the vin from their records. They did not give me any paperwork like usual when i picked the car up after the TSE inspection.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 08:01 AM   #31
HeatJoey
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 ScatPack WB (& G87 M2)

hated, hopefully you get it resolved. I would definitely try another dealer and if all else fails let attorney get involved. it is ashamed that they would really try to correct the problem and would rather blame "painted" wheels.

This is exactly why I'm concerned as I decide to get my x3m40 new or slightly pre owned. it is worth the savings unless you have an issue like this one. doesn't the CPO count for anything here?
Current: '23 ScatPack Last call (also have G87 M2 for son); Previous rides: '23 BMW X3 M40, '22 Charger Hellcat Triple Nickel, '21 Charger Widebody Scat Pack F8, '21 DD R/T White, '19 Challenger Widebody Scat Pack B5; '19 Scat Pack F8, '18 Audi SQ5, '18 Daytona 392, '16 Scat Pack Granite, '15 Durango R/T Blacktop, '14 Volvo S60R Rebel Blue, '12 Audi Q5, '10 Mustang, '08 BMW E90 M3, '07 BMW 335I Active Autowerks
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 09:22 AM   #32
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
They have replaced rotors 3 times and pads. (New rotors would be ruined within a couple of weeks) The rotors are warped from extreme heat.

....They replaced both rear wheel bearings, put the car on the lift and drove it and found out it was actuating the brakes without pressing the pedal. They replaced the ESC module to attempt to fix it.

....He blamed all the issues on the powder coating and BMW will do nothing for me now. BMW NA said whatever the field engineer says is the last word and they do not care that the wheels came that way on a CPO car. I assumed they were stock.
From a technical perspective, it is clear if they identified excess heat and brakes applying themselves without application, they have the trouble shooting path to follow.

The connection to powder coated wheels does have a possible technical point of merit, but a red herring in this case, as they have a source of the extreme heat, (brakes applying themselves). If the powder coating was done is a way that the mating surfaces were coated, that is wrong and can limit heat dispersion. But a simple inspection would confirm if it was okay or incorrectly done. But it isn't relevant for heat dispersion, in this case, as you have excess heat in normal use. As a side point, powder coated mating faces can cause wheel vibration, even on properly balanced wheel.

I'm minded it involves the DSC system. But you have a good case for any lawyer, (and/or technical expert), with an identified issue (heat) and cause for the heat, (brakes applying themselves) which does the damage.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 10:35 AM   #33
avidfan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
From a technical perspective, it is clear if they identified excess heat and brakes applying themselves without application, they have the trouble shooting path to follow.

The connection to powder coated wheels does have a possible technical point of merit, but a red herring in this case, as they have a source of the extreme heat, (brakes applying themselves). If the powder coating was done is a way that the mating surfaces were coated, that is wrong and can limit heat dispersion. But a simple inspection would confirm if it was okay or incorrectly done. But it isn't relevant for heat dispersion, in this case, as you have excess heat in normal use. As a side point, powder coated mating faces can cause wheel vibration, even on properly balanced wheel.

I'm minded it involves the DSC system. But you have a good case for any lawyer, (and/or technical expert), with an identified issue (heat) and cause for the heat, (brakes applying themselves) which does the damage.

I have wondered the same things. I have never seen the wheels off so I do not know if they coated the part the meets the hub. The car drives smooth as silk and has no wobble/vibration at all unless you hit the brakes.

When they replaced the DSC module they did tell me that it was using incorrect values on how much pressure to use. They also said that it was checking out good when they ran a diagnostic on it, but obviously something was wrong and they did replace the module. I am pretty sure they did not even put it back on the rack and test it bc i think they are sick of the problem. The TSE is saying all these problems are directly caused by the powder coating not dissipating heat.

I am going today to attempt to get an invoice of what the TSE ruled. The original dealership asked me to get it because apoarently there is nothing in the service records that they could see.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 11:34 AM   #34
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I have wondered the same things. I have never seen the wheels off so I do not know if they coated the part the meets the hub. The car drives smooth as silk and has no wobble/vibration at all unless you hit the brakes..
Did the TSE have a wheel (or more) off the vehicle, to identify incorrect powder coating? If not, his judgement is made on an assumption. How has he explained the original braking problem? Still there, after a change of DSC module. Obviously found or thought faulty, (in their minds), whether the route cause or not?

Even so, that's besides the point, if you were sold the vehicle "as it is" in good faith, BMW have not taken ownership of the problem. Someone signed off the CPO certificate.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 01:53 PM   #35
avidfan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Did the TSE have a wheel (or more) off the vehicle, to identify incorrect powder coating? If not, his judgement is made on an assumption. How has he explained the original braking problem? Still there, after a change of DSC module. Obviously found or thought faulty, (in their minds), whether the route cause or not?

Even so, that's besides the point, if you were sold the vehicle "as it is" in good faith, BMW have not taken ownership of the problem. Someone signed off the CPO certificate.
They did have the wheels off and the guys at my dealership in service got me the invoice stating the heat issue comes from the powder coating not allowing heat to dissipate from the rotors. They also gave me a service bulletin from a couple of months ago stating that this exact thing can occur if the rims are powder coated. The service bulletin is from 2/14/23 this is revision 2 : SI B34 07 18

It states “ Painted and powder-coated wheels can create an uneven material thickness that when stacked against the hub and face of the rotor will eventually lead to brake vibrations caused by rotor runout.”

Covers brake discs, brake pads, and peripheral parts

I just sent all the info to the dealer that sold it to me as certified pre owned. Hopefully they will do the right thing.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2023, 02:15 PM   #36
lfdal54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
They did have the wheels off and the guys at my dealership in service got me the invoice stating the heat issue comes from the powder coating not allowing heat to dissipate from the rotors. They also gave me a service bulletin from a couple of months ago stating that this exact thing can occur if the rims are powder coated. The service bulletin is from 2/14/23 this is revision 2 : SI B34 07 18

It states “ Painted and powder-coated wheels can create an uneven material thickness that when stacked against the hub and face of the rotor will eventually lead to brake vibrations caused by rotor runout.”

I just sent all the info to the dealer that sold it to me as certified pre owned. Hopefully they will do the right thing.
To my limited intellect, this is very simple. The BMW dealership sold you a CPO car. Whatever wheels are on it, they are part of the CPO. They own this problem. I hope you get this sorted.
Appreciate 1
Rottweiler4333.00
      05-08-2023, 02:20 PM   #37
mattsheng
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I think they quoted the wrong SIB. They probably meant SIB 34 01 14. Although SIB 34 01 14 did mention that "painted and powder-coated wheels can create an uneven material thickness that when stacked against the hub and face of the rotor will eventually lead to brake vibrations caused by rotor runout," it didn't state that this can void your warranty. If you follow the troubleshooting tree, nowhere did it state to stop helping the customers.

The unbalanceness of painted or powder-coated wheels can lead to rotor runout but not cause the brake rotor to run excessively hot... Your issue seems to be that the brakes are activating when they shouldn't be.

SIB 34 01 14 Vibration when braking - diagnosing and repairing.pdf

B34 01 14_Troubletree_4.pdf

Attachment_B341016_Categorization.pdf
Appreciate 4
Rottweiler4333.00
509er592.50
      05-08-2023, 02:29 PM   #38
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Just take the vehicle to Mattsheng and he'll sort it out. ha!
Appreciate 1
509er592.50
      05-08-2023, 02:41 PM   #39
avidfan
Rep

Quote:
I think they quoted the wrong SIB. They probably meant SIB 34 01 14. Although SIB 34 01 14 did mention that "painted and powder-coated wheels can create an uneven material thickness that when stacked against the hub and face of the rotor will eventually lead to brake vibrations caused by rotor runout," it didn't state that this can void your warranty. If you follow the troubleshooting tree, nowhere did it state to stop helping the customers.

The unbalanceness of painted or powder-coated wheels can lead to rotor runout but not cause the brake rotor to run excessively hot... Your issue seems to be that the brakes are activating when they shouldn't be.

Attachment 3176130

Attachment 3176131

Attachment 3176132
Wow.. great info.. ty! I might not have put the correct SIB info ( i am a noob with this stuff), but they did print it out for me. And it is really weird that, like you said, the service bulletin states the problem and fix, but the TSE gave a different reason. And my car was still under original factory warranty while they had it, but said BMW NA will not cover more fixes. Really appreciate the help.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 02:45 PM   #40
mattsheng
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here is the latest SIB 34 07 18 I can find: https://bmwrepairguide.com/sib/340718.pdf

It only applies to M cars, not X3 M40i... And the fault pattern catalog only applies to "Vehicles of M GmbH with M Compound brake disc" so your car is not even within the scope. Even if that SIB applies to your car, it didn't mention anything about painted or powder-coated wheels being the culprit of brake overheating. This is the latest attachment from BMW backend and it is still dated to December 2021: https://bmwtechinfo.bmwgroup.com/sib...%20Catalog.pdf

I think you have a strong case with the other dealer. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 05:21 PM   #41
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Any update?
      05-13-2023, 06:23 PM   #42
avidfan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh139 View Post
Any update?
The original dealership wants to check the car out. They said they were going to pick it up last Thursday, but it has not happened yet. They said they are going to get it hopefully on Monday.

So nothing new yet. I will definitely keep updating.
Appreciate 2
TXGrey1372.50
jsh1391814.50
      05-22-2023, 12:40 PM   #43
avidfan
Rep

Little update:

The original dealer picked the car up and it is now 2 hours away in Atlanta. They agreed to reimburse me on a rental. They said they are starting over and working through the problem from scratch. So, they have machined the front rotors ( which are only about 6 weeks old, and replaced the brake pads. They are keeping it to do an extended test drive bc i explained to them that every time they machine or replace the rotors it drives fine for a few days, then they start feeling rough intermittently. They have acted concerned and are doing the right thing so far.

Only thing troubling is they do not believe the powder coating has anything to do with it even with it being coated where the wheels meet the hub.
Appreciate 2
TXGrey1372.50
jsh1391814.50
      05-22-2023, 07:18 PM   #44
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Little update:

The original dealer picked the car up and it is now 2 hours away in Atlanta. They agreed to reimburse me on a rental. They said they are starting over and working through the problem from scratch. So, they have machined the front rotors ( which are only about 6 weeks old, and replaced the brake pads. They are keeping it to do an extended test drive bc i explained to them that every time they machine or replace the rotors it drives fine for a few days, then they start feeling rough intermittently. They have acted concerned and are doing the right thing so far.

Only thing troubling is they do not believe the powder coating has anything to do with it even with it being coated where the wheels meet the hub.
Why is their view on power coating "troubling"? Isn't it consistent with yours?
Appreciate 0