BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-25-2023, 01:10 PM   #23
HeatJoey
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
this WILL be true for any iteration of a tire needed for this car... rft or not

i've made this abunduntly clear... that is you want to be absolutely safe, you will need a spare to get you where you are while on a trip

if not on a trip... i would HIGHLY suggest getting the most common tire type for your car... which in the case of the x3 m40i is the 20 inch rft... this will put you out of service the shortest as the chance of the tire being in stock is highest
my point exactly. even my donut or whatever you want to call this smaller spare, will get me home no matter where I am, i.e. 250 miles from home... you can drive it longer distance than a run flat...albeit slower but you get home and can drive on that until a tire is shipped and in hand.
Previous rides '23 MBW X3 30i, '22 Charger Hellcat Triple Nickel, '21 Charger Widebody Scat Pack F8, '21 DD R/T White, '19 Challenger Widebody Scat Pack B5; '19 Scat Pack F8, '18 Audi SQ5, '18 Daytona 392, '16 Scat Pack Granite, '15 Durango R/T Blacktop, '14 Volvo S60R Rebel Blue, '12 Audi Q5, '10 Mustang, '08 BMW E90 M3, '07 BMW 335I Active Autowerks
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2023, 01:18 PM   #24
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatJoey View Post
understood and agreed.
however.... it's ugly only until you or your wife is 300 miles from home, at night, with a tow truck being hours away, or no cell service, with no bMW dealer nearby or open on a sunday night, or no tire in stock in these weird sizes, going down us27 in the middle of no where... just saying

at the very least, even with run flats, if you're more than 50 miles away the spare is the only real solution. where do you tow your car to if you're 400 miles from home lol?
If it's a puncture, slime will do the trick. If the tire literally blew the fuck up, then I'd say more than just the tire is damaged.
If I were going to be somewhere remote/ go on a road trip, I'm taking my sat hotspot with me from my camping days.
Also, you mention driving home but... if I'm traveling and I need to get a tire replaced, I don't care if it costs like 50 more bucks than getting tires from tirerack, and I'm gonna get that sucker replaced. I'd imagine people driving BMWs could afford to do so without it being a huge hit to their finances, or at least I hope so.
If those extreme scenarios is what you encounter daily and that's what you're prepping for then by all means. But I'm very seldom hundreds of miles away from civilization, and I'm sure most people buying an X3 are a well.

Last edited by chhappy7; 04-25-2023 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
HeatJoey1223.50
      04-25-2023, 05:15 PM   #25
HeatJoey
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhappy7 View Post
If it's a puncture, slime will do the trick. If the tire literally blew the fuck up, then I'd say more than just the tire is damaged.
If I were going to be somewhere remote/ go on a road trip, I'm taking my sat hotspot with me from my camping days.
Also, you mention driving home but... if I'm traveling and I need to get a tire replaced, I don't care if it costs like 50 more bucks than getting tires from tirerack, and I'm gonna get that sucker replaced. I'd imagine people driving BMWs could afford to do so without it being a huge hit to their finances, or at least I hope so.
If those extreme scenarios is what you encounter daily and that's what you're prepping for then by all means. But I'm very seldom hundreds of miles away from civilization, and I'm sure most people buying an X3 are a well.
I think you're missing my point.

It has nothing to do with money or a sat phone, neither helps you on Sunday evening driving home 150 or 300 miles from your destination, with a tire that has no air. let's say it's not a nail but just a sidewall puncture or piece of metal that punctures the tire (both have happened to me recently and neither slime nor a plug helped). Now what? you're going to tow the car to where? (I'm in Florida so any trip is a long drive through miles of nothing)... so you call AAA or BMW and tell them what? tow my car to the nearest holiday inn so I can sleep overnight to hope a local tire shop or nearby BMW dealers has a tire in stock the next morning? that's all I'm saying. very inconvenient in my opinion compared to a 15 minute spare install.

Let's be real, the only reason they eliminated giving us a spare is likely either money or weight savings, both are a bad idea in my opinion compared to being stuck. no car should come from factory without a spare.

I'll keep my ugly, space eating spare as the best option. I also have a plug kit, compressor, & tools and I've fixed many nails on the road but sometimes it can't be fixed. That being said, I am considering to just keep it in the garage for normal work days etc. when I'm close to home but any trip longer than going to work or more than an hour away, that bad boy is coming with me lol.
Previous rides '23 MBW X3 30i, '22 Charger Hellcat Triple Nickel, '21 Charger Widebody Scat Pack F8, '21 DD R/T White, '19 Challenger Widebody Scat Pack B5; '19 Scat Pack F8, '18 Audi SQ5, '18 Daytona 392, '16 Scat Pack Granite, '15 Durango R/T Blacktop, '14 Volvo S60R Rebel Blue, '12 Audi Q5, '10 Mustang, '08 BMW E90 M3, '07 BMW 335I Active Autowerks
Appreciate 2
akin67450.50
      04-25-2023, 05:27 PM   #26
br438
Infinite Boulder Roller
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Raptor

Quote:
I think you're missing my point.

It has nothing to do with money or a sat phone, neither helps you on Sunday evening....... close to home but any trip longer than going to work or more than an hour away, that bad boy is coming with me lol.
FWIW: If it's my wife and kids in the car and I'm not with them. If they have a total blowout... as-in new wheel/tire on or flatbed, I will not have them out changing a flat on the side of the road in the cell-phone/distracted driving world that we live in. I just won't. They'll be up away from the road waiting in the shade, rain, whatever... but they won't be on the roadside.

Heck,... I'm not even sure I'll change a tire on the side of the highway anymore. I've done it in the cold, the rain, the dark, and all of the above... more times than I care to say. I've had tires on fire before... (yep... complete leaf-spring failure....). I've changed more than one tire at a time. ... hahaha... but there is just too much going on inside people's vehicles these days. Times have changed.
Appreciate 2
HeatJoey1223.50
akin67450.50
      04-25-2023, 05:57 PM   #27
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGrey View Post
I had a puncture go all the way down to around 20…. Tire was repaired and I drove on it for another season. I do triple digit speeds almost weekly. Your tire will be fine. (Still running 001s - FYI)

Now less than 20, I’d say that’s pushing it. 15 or less? I’d prob trash the tire for sure.

Keep us posted.

Triple digit speeds almost weekly is TIGHT.
He's in TX so it's an understatement. Triple-digit speed here is like BAU (business as usual).
Appreciate 1
HeatJoey1223.50
      04-29-2023, 09:57 AM   #28
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by g11hoonigan View Post
He's in TX so it's an understatement. Triple-digit speed here is like BAU (business as usual).
#truths
…. AND, ironically, here I am Saturday morning, at the local Mom&Pop Tire place I used last year (probably getting my freshly powder-coated wheel scratched) because I took a damn scenic route at work the other day… ended up in a fairly long construction zone…. And then noticed my driver rear was about 4lbs low yesterday. Discount won’t touch it (too close to the edge)… in the EXACT same spot I had one last year… getting plugged and patched. Just awesome… brand new tires.
Appreciate 2
HeatJoey1223.50
      04-29-2023, 01:41 PM   #29
br438
Infinite Boulder Roller
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Raptor

6 days later and that tire has lost a couple of psi.

I guess I'll have it looked at.
Appreciate 1
HeatJoey1223.50
      04-29-2023, 03:04 PM   #30
HeatJoey
Major
Rep

sorry to hear this for both of you... TX, are you getting 2 new ones or 4 all around? are your current ones run flats?

b4438, hated also.

Meanwhile my car went for service 1 and they sent me a little note that 3 of my 4 are at 6/32 and 1 is at 5/32, and do I want them replaced while there LOL... I'm at 9900 miles and these tires are at 5 and 6/32nds lol.. and they probably should be replaced at 3/32 so that means they will last a whopping 15k +/-. this is part of the reason I'm going ps4as next as they will go about double of that (based on my last 4 sets, albeit different car).. and being almost double the cost, lasting half as long makes them 3-4 times more expensive without a calculator... terrible.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 03:40 PM   #31
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Quote:
sorry to hear this for both of you... TX, are you getting 2 new ones or 4 all around? are your current ones run flats?

b4438, hated also.

Meanwhile my car went for service 1 and they sent me a little note that 3 of my 4 are at 6/32 and 1 is at 5/32, and do I want them replaced while there LOL... I'm at 9900 miles and these tires are at 5 and 6/32nds lol.. and they probably should be replaced at 3/32 so that means they will last a whopping 15k +/-. this is part of the reason I'm going ps4as next as they will go about double of that (based on my last 4 sets, albeit different car).. and being almost double the cost, lasting half as long makes them 3-4 times more expensive without a calculator... terrible.
Neither. I’ve learned what Discount Tire will and won’t patch… so what they won’t fix, I take to a mom and pop shop, and if it’s fixable, they fix it. This one was in the exact same spot I got a puncture last year… so I knew the M&P place would most likely fix it. They did; plug and a inside patch, and on my way for $25. Seems to be holding air just fine.
Appreciate 1
glennbk595.50
      04-29-2023, 07:38 PM   #32
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by br438 View Post
6 days later and that tire has lost a couple of psi.

I guess I'll have it looked at.

I've had the same issue on my other car. It was losing ~2 psi every week. Didn't really bother me for ~3 months, I still drove the car around west-north-southeast tx. That is until I was trying to look for a reason to replace the rear tires, hoping it got punctured on the side. Saw a nail about 4mm thick and it's on the middle so I just plugged it.
Appreciate 1
HeatJoey1223.50