BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-19-2019, 05:29 AM   #23
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

Be "fair" to yourself, take your time, wait, and test drive the X3M and anything else in the equation... I can imagine that the X3M will be a pleasure to drive and own. Interiors a level up from the M40's, too.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7848.50
      04-20-2019, 07:29 PM   #24
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I drove a nice 17k mile Turbo today and was rather underwhelmed. I couldn't hear the engine to get an idea of what RPM I was at. To me that's never good. Also power was smooth and it was fast but never exciting. No real pull in acceleration either which I even get in my supposedly low torque M3. Interior was great, air suspension smooth yet agile, and it looked the part but I think I would regret the purchase.

I stopped at the BMW dealer at the same location and sat in a few M40i but they were too busy to help me or take me on a test drive. I think it looks great from outside and was roomy on the inside. Materials were not as nice as the Porsche but not a surprise there. I thought I would like cognac leather but it was way too orange for me. I couldn't find a mocha or oyster.

All in all I think I'll have to wait until I can drive an X3M and M40i so I can decide if the extra $300/mo or so is worth the M.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 07:41 AM   #25
arube1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: audi s5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I drove a nice 17k mile Turbo today and was rather underwhelmed. I couldn't hear the engine to get an idea of what RPM I was at. To me that's never good. Also power was smooth and it was fast but never exciting. No real pull in acceleration either which I even get in my supposedly low torque M3. Interior was great, air suspension smooth yet agile, and it looked the part but I think I would regret the purchase.

I stopped at the BMW dealer at the same location and sat in a few M40i but they were too busy to help me or take me on a test drive. I think it looks great from outside and was roomy on the inside. Materials were not as nice as the Porsche but not a surprise there. I thought I would like cognac leather but it was way too orange for me. I couldn't find a mocha or oyster.

All in all I think I'll have to wait until I can drive an X3M and M40i so I can decide if the extra $300/mo or so is worth the M.
Curious what you ended up getting if at all?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 07:55 AM   #26
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arube1 View Post
Quote:

Curious what you ended up getting if at all?
Leased an M340i because it's amazing and sticking with SQ5 for SUV duties for now. Will consider replacing that end of summer.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 12:45 PM   #27
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Yes, this is also precisely my experience with Macan Turbo. Very smooth, very comfy, very polished, just not very exciting to drive. It's not visceral. Feels like a slightly upgraded and more powerful Audi SQ5 (probably not all too surprisingly). I would definitely take the 2020 M40i over the Macan Turbo.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 02:33 PM   #28
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Quote:

Yes, this is also precisely my experience with Macan Turbo. Very smooth, very comfy, very polished, just not very exciting to drive. It's not visceral. Feels like a slightly upgraded and more powerful Audi SQ5 (probably not all too surprisingly). I would definitely take the 2020 M40i over the Macan Turbo.
Every weekend I'm tempted to go test drive X3 M and M40i but my SQ5 lease goes until August so kind of jumping the gun. SQ5 is such a nice and luxurious car that is quick, but needs more power and more throttle response without lag. The air suspension is incredible though and will be tough to surrender back to stiffer ride in the bimmers.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 05:40 PM   #29
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Every weekend I'm tempted to go test drive X3 M and M40i but my SQ5 lease goes until August so kind of jumping the gun. SQ5 is such a nice and luxurious car that is quick, but needs more power and more throttle response without lag. The air suspension is incredible though and will be tough to surrender back to stiffer ride in the bimmers.
Yes, i love Audis. It’s a shame they never made an RS Q5. You will love the handling and responsiveness of the X3.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 08:18 PM   #30
drurka
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Wouldn't the new Macan GTS be more of a direct competitor to the M40i? If you really want a Porsche, and want it brand new, that might be a good option in the middle. Another option I would consider in this scenario would be a gently used GLC63 if you could find one in the low 70's. All that said, I bought my M40i brand new and got it how I wanted it, and couldn't be happier. Most people here have an allergy to cerium gray, but on the carbon black I actually think it looks pretty good. All makes of cars (high and low end) these days are blacking out wheels and badges etc, but with the M performance line of BMWs you know it is just a little unique with that weird bronzey-grey.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 08:27 PM   #31
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drurka View Post
Wouldn't the new Macan GTS be more of a direct competitor to the M40i? If you really want a Porsche, and want it brand new, that might be a good option in the middle. Another option I would consider in this scenario would be a gently used GLC63 if you could find one in the low 70's. All that said, I bought my M40i brand new and got it how I wanted it, and couldn't be happier. Most people here have an allergy to cerium gray, but on the carbon black I actually think it looks pretty good. All makes of cars (high and low end) these days are blacking out wheels and badges etc, but with the M performance line of BMWs you know it is just a little unique with that weird bronzey-grey.
I guess I was one of those “allergic” guys... blacked it out first thing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
drurka21.00
      02-12-2020, 08:33 PM   #32
drurka
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Quote:
I guess I was one of those "allergic" guys... blacked it out first thing.

Sorry I should clarify. I think the blacked out look is great too, definitely makes it look more aggressive. Wasn't trying to offend anyone.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 08:47 PM   #33
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Sorry I should clarify. I think the blacked out look is great too, definitely makes it look more aggressive. Wasn't trying to offend anyone.
No, you didn’t! All good...
Appreciate 0