BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-09-2023, 03:15 PM   #3851
avi66
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf_GL View Post
Agreed, pre-LCI is a different system but it still achieves anti-dazzle, and not completely due to its dependency on the swiveling mechanism. There were 7 LEDs that were aimed through individually angled mirrors (not projection as you correctly state), and these can be selectively turned off for anti-dazzle. The swiveling helps with adaptive lights (steering left/right), height-based on rear load (up/down), and possibly with the anti-dazzle and VLD.

I could be wrong, but the videos I've seen of pre-LCI G01 and F97 seems like anti-dazzle is working albeit with much bigger zones and not as much definition coming off a reflector design compared to a projector.

Here is an image of those headlights:
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=15
This is the video I’ve seen describing the pre LCI system. If the animation is accurate, it shows the light being directed to the side to create an anti dazzle tunnel effect, rather than just shutting down an area (led segment) of light in the headlight. To me this suggested the light swivel is the primary mechanism in creating the anti dazzle tunnel.

Not sure what type or number of light sources BMW used throughout the period this tech was used, but the HELLA/BMW press release from 2021 states it was the first use of matrix LED in a production BMW.

This is an old video (9 years lol) of a Hella system that predates the the above video, but is closer in tech to the matrix LED in the G01 LCI imo.

Last edited by avi66; 11-09-2023 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
Golf_GL90.50
      11-09-2023, 06:47 PM   #3852
xeacott
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M40i

went ahead and searched the thread and the rest of the forum but results didn't show much --- for anyone with the traffic jam assist, has anyone been able to to change it from 40 MPH / 25 KPH up to something higher? i love the feature truly but i'd like to keep this sucker on still while going 50-60 mph
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 03:16 AM   #3853
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ´23 iX3 M Sport Charged

Is there any way to activate Traffic Jam Assist with Bimmercode? My car has Driving Assist Pro, but TJA is deactivated in my country for some silly reason.
      11-10-2023, 04:21 AM   #3854
avi66
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSelle View Post
Is there any way to activate Traffic Jam Assist with Bimmercode? My car has Driving Assist Pro, but TJA is deactivated in my country for some silly reason.
I’m not 100%, but I think “Traffic Jam Assist” is a term used in certain markets, but that doesn’t mean DAP doesn’t work in a traffic jam.

On the G01, it’s not a term used in the UK market, but DAP allows my car to continuously stop and move again in a traffic jam without driver intervention. Under a certain speed, and providing the camera detects I’m maintaining attention, I don’t need to hold the steering wheel.

Once the traffic jam is clear, DAP will resume the previously preset speed or speed limit.

A bit of info here that’s UK related https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=39

Last edited by avi66; 11-10-2023 at 04:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 08:39 AM   #3855
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ´23 iX3 M Sport Charged

It´s described in the manual for my car. That if the car detects, that the correct circumstances are met (highway, heavy traffic, DAP on etc.) it will allow you to turn on TJA. There is supposed to be an icon on the dash and the lights on the steering wheel should light up green. Neither of this happens on my car, so I concluded, that it´s deactivated in my country.

I think it is what is mentioned in your link. My car can´t drive "hands free", doesn´t give any messages - in short, it doesn´t work. The dealer is clueless.
      11-10-2023, 09:05 AM   #3856
avi66
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It´s described in the manual for my car. That if the car detects, that the correct circumstances are met (highway, heavy traffic, DAP on etc.) it will allow you to turn on TJA. There is supposed to be an icon on the dash and the lights on the steering wheel should light up green. Neither of this happens on my car, so I concluded, that it´s deactivated in my country.

I think it is what is mentioned in your link. My car can´t drive "hands free", doesn´t give any messages - in short, it doesn´t work. The dealer is clueless.
What happens if you use DAP and encounter a traffic jam ? Have you actually tried it ?

In the UK there is no flashing steering wheel lights or special icon, which appears to be what happens in the US market. So my car doesn’t do these things, but it works as expected to automatically drive in a traffic jam without intervention or holding the wheel when certain criteria is met.

Say I’ve enabled DAP (ACC distance control, lane and steering assist mode) on the motorway, and the traffic comes to a stop, my car will slow and come to a stop behind the car in front. It will wait, and when the car in front moves off, my car will also move off without any intervention from me. If the traffic continues to start and stop, as in a traffic jam situation, my car will just do the same, and I don’t need to hold the wheel, unless I go over a certain speed or don’t meet the alertness criteria. When the jam clears, my car resumes the previous DAP preset speed or speed limit.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 09:14 AM   #3857
richardyc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3, 22 Lexus Rx450H

I have a 24 X3 X30i, coded auto start stop function memory to active, but it didn't work, it would go back to 'on' next time I start the car even though I disabled it last drive. So I coded auto start stop function off, but changed the function memory back to non active since now it should be off permanently by default. am I doing this right, should I active the auto start stop function memory? ideally, I'd like to keep the coding to a minimum, so to active the ASS function memory to active is all I really need, but it just didn't work.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 09:53 AM   #3858
ridetime
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i Tanzanite Blue

You can't "disable" start/stop by coding that function that I am aware of after the 22 LCI. You need to set your default driving mode to sport individual in your coding app then set your individual settings in Idrive like steering=comfort, dampening=comfort, transmission=sport, engine=sport. Since Sport Mode won't ever engage stop start and you are going to be in "sport individual" by default after making the change you won't activate stop/start. If you do want it back temporarily for whatever reason just select comfort or eco pro with the hard buttons by the shifter. That is just an example of how I do it.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 10:55 AM   #3859
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridetime View Post
You can't "disable" start/stop by coding that function that I am aware of after the 22 LCI. You need to set your default driving mode to sport individual in your coding app then set your individual settings in Idrive like steering=comfort, dampening=comfort, transmission=sport, engine=sport. Since Sport Mode won't ever engage stop start and you are going to be in "sport individual" by default after making the change you won't activate stop/start. If you do want it back temporarily for whatever reason just select comfort or eco pro with the hard buttons by the shifter. That is just an example of how I do it.
Yes and no. BMW locked some of the modules starting with the 03/2023.XX software version, and they now require authentication from BMW's servers. There are some people not updating their software version to the newer versions because of this issue. The LCIs coming from the factory with a later software version obviously will be effected, and those that update to the newest.
Appreciate 1
bocabimmer1889.00
      11-12-2023, 10:52 AM   #3860
richardyc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
as far as I know, TJA would only work in certain highways, doesnt work in every traffic jam going under 40mph, so it might use some GPS data for it to work? so if your area's GPS don't have that data, that could be the reason they are shutoff in your country? I could be totally off on this.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 11:02 AM   #3861
richardyc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arRod1981 View Post
Yes and no. BMW locked some of the modules starting with the 03/2023.XX software version, and they now require authentication from BMW's servers. There are some people not updating their software version to the newer versions because of this issue. The LCIs coming from the factory with a later software version obviously will be effected, and those that update to the newest.
yes, just drove the X3, ASS is still active and doesn't save the off setting from last drive, so this sucks, I bought the Bimmercode mainly for this and to turn off ASD, but now I can't turn this off and ASD was off from the factory for 30i, which I did not know until I got into the setting.....I did code closing of the trunk with the remote and turn off the 3 start-up warning messages, but this is kinda expensive to only do those few things...I guess I can try to turn on the anti-dazzle feature. time to restore the ASS setting with the backup, since it doesn't work and I don't need to give my dealer any excuse to void my warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 11:34 AM   #3862
ridetime
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardyc View Post
yes, just drove the X3, ASS is still active and doesn't save the off setting from last drive, so this sucks, I bought the Bimmercode mainly for this and to turn off ASD, but now I can't turn this off and ASD was off from the factory for 30i, which I did not know until I got into the setting.....I did code closing of the trunk with the remote and turn off the 3 start-up warning messages, but this is kinda expensive to only do those few things...I guess I can try to turn on the anti-dazzle feature. time to restore the ASS setting with the backup, since it doesn't work and I don't need to give my dealer any excuse to void my warranty.
Read my post 3 above yours. It will accomplish your goal of "disabling" stop/start.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 11:52 AM   #3863
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yea, I can definitely say the ASS is 100% more noticeable in our X3 than X5. In the X5 it is very very subtle. And same about the ASD on the X3, we also have a 30i and I wanted to turn it on because it was so quiet/muted.

Just some food for thought, some other things I changed were changing the bronze ambient lighting to magenta/red, max volume start up at 30%, enabled the B&W audio setting, increased the max seat temps, 5 blink one-touch turn signals, tilt down of the passenger mirror in reverse to 70%, deactivated the window interruption when door open, tire pressure with temperature, deactivated horn honk with engine running, and video in motion.

Also, doing coding does not void the entire vehicle warranty. If you code 5x one-touch blinker and have engine problems, BMW cannot deny warranty. If you do code something and have issues with what you coded, they have to prove the coding caused the issues, and cannot just say it was the coding. They have to provide proof. Though I think the only exception is any tuning/modification to the engine and drivetrain modules/ecus.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 02:16 PM   #3864
xeacott
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
as far as I know, TJA would only work in certain highways, doesnt work in every traffic jam going under 40mph, so it might use some GPS data for it to work? so if your area's GPS don't have that data, that could be the reason they are shutoff in your country? I could be totally off on this.
Someone in the X5 forums was able to change the 40mph restriction and sent it higher towards 75mph. anyone here been able to do the same??
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 12:16 PM   #3865
Ronnie Mac
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 XDrive30e, 330e

Garage List
One Touch Turn Signal Flash

I used Bimmercode to try and get the one touch turn signal to flash 5 times. the car seems to take the coding, the option shows up under Exterior Lighting, but will not allow me to select that option. I have it in place on my 2021 330, and would really like to have it on my new to me 2021 X3, but it will not seem to let me do it. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 12:53 PM   #3866
cjn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 F40 M135iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Mac View Post
I used Bimmercode to try and get the one touch turn signal to flash 5 times. the car seems to take the coding, the option shows up under Exterior Lighting, but will not allow me to select that option. I have it in place on my 2021 330, and would really like to have it on my new to me 2021 X3, but it will not seem to let me do it. Any suggestions?
It's worth trying a reset for the head unit. Hold the radio on/off button down for at least 30 seconds, until the HU restarts.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 02:49 PM   #3867
ridetime
Private First Class
Rep

Even though 5 flash is an option I never could get it to actually work on my 21 X3 even after setting it in Bimmercode. My 24 X3 is set to 5 flash and works great.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 05:54 PM   #3868
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Even though 5 flash is an option I never could get it to actually work on my 21 X3 even after setting it in Bimmercode. My 24 X3 is set to 5 flash and works great.
I believe it is tied to the iDrive level/SP. I know it would not work as you described on our '19 X3 with iDrive 6, but on our '21 X3 with iDrive 7 "lite" it does work.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 05:58 PM   #3869
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
Quote:
Strangely, mine had 5 flash from day one even though it is not showing in the idrive 7 menu
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2023, 08:14 AM   #3870
Goody4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

I "stole" this from the G05 board.

Close moonroof automatically after 6 hours OR rain detection.

Under headunit:

regen_schliessen>aktiv

The above creates a new box to check off under car settings, doors/vehicle access called "automatic roof closing". By itself, this code will not close the roof. You also need to code what's below.

Under roof function center:

regenaktiv>aktiv
regenaktiv_robust>aktiv
regenposition>geschlossen
statusRCTime>defaultwerk

I confirmed the 6 hour closing function. It does not close the shade, however. I haven't tested the rain function.

Last edited by Goody4; 11-16-2023 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 2
jsh1391814.50
      11-16-2023, 09:02 AM   #3871
pyo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody4 View Post
I "stole" this from the G05 board.

Close moonroof automatically after 6 hours OR rain detection.

Under headunit:

regen_schliessen>aktiv

The above creates a new box to check off under car settings, doors/vehicle access called "automatic roof closing". By itself, this code will not close the roof. You also need to code what's below.

Under roof center function:

regenaktiv>aktiv
regenaktiv_robust>aktiv
regenposition>geschlossen
statusRCTime>defaultwerk

I confirmed the 6 hour closing function. It does not close the shade, however. I haven't tested the rain function.
I also posted this a while back.

I can confirm the rain function works. Lock the car and pour water near the rain sensors and it will close.
Appreciate 1
Goody4154.00
      11-16-2023, 02:41 PM   #3872
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Very cool!