BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-28-2017, 02:09 PM   #287
iliveinhope
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

RE: BMW USA, You Owe Me a Steering Wheel

To Whom this May Concern:

I recently leased a 2018 X3 M40i. I am astonished that the steering wheel included in the vehicle is the same one in X3 30i. BMW flooded media with images and reviews of 2018 X3 M40i with a M Sport steering wheel. Every M Performance vehicle produced and sold by BMW USA has M Sport steering wheel as a standard feature. It is every average BMW customer's expectation and assumption that a 2018 X3 M40i will include a M Sport steering wheel. But instead, BMW decided to sneak a 2018 Honda Accord steering wheel (yes, please google "2018 Honda Accord Steering Wheel" before you laugh about it) into a M Performance vehicle. BMW USA has no pride in these M Performance vehicles and I have lost faith in BMW.

This seemed to be a last minute decision for BMW. As of 12/26/2017, on BMW USA's website this is listed as a standard feature for 2018 X3 M40i, "3-spoke **power** tilt/telescopic leather-wrapped multi-function sport steering wheel with ...". BMW USA didn't even bother to put a correct description for what they released to the US market.

BMW USA you need to do the right thing by your customers!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 02:26 PM   #288
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i-m-exec Rides:R1250RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliveinhope View Post
RE: BMW USA, You Owe Me a Steering Wheel

To Whom this May Concern:

I recently leased a 2018 X3 M40i. I am astonished that the steering wheel included in the vehicle is the same one in X3 30i. BMW flooded media with images and reviews of 2018 X3 M40i with a M Sport steering wheel. Every M Performance vehicle produced and sold by BMW USA has M Sport steering wheel as a standard feature. It is every average BMW customer's expectation and assumption that a 2018 X3 M40i will include a M Sport steering wheel. But instead, BMW decided to sneak a 2018 Honda Accord steering wheel (yes, please google "2018 Honda Accord Steering Wheel" before you laugh about it) into a M Performance vehicle. BMW USA has no pride in these M Performance vehicles and I have lost faith in BMW.

This seemed to be a last minute decision for BMW. As of 12/26/2017, on BMW USA's website this is listed as a standard feature for 2018 X3 M40i, "3-spoke **power** tilt/telescopic leather-wrapped multi-function sport steering wheel with ...". BMW USA didn't even bother to put a correct description for what they released to the US market.

BMW USA you need to do the right thing by your customers!
I smell a class action here. They probably don't want the publicity maybe they'll give us a break. I love the car so much I've sort of blocked it, finally, out of mind.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 02:49 PM   #289
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
I don’t buy that it was a last minute decision, as going all the way back to the May US ordering guide, months before production started it shows clearly the steering wheel is an option 248, not a 710.

I do think the messaging has been botched horribly and they should make the relatively few people who care about this whole and/or suffer the bad PR for it and loss of loyalty for it. They don’t have a lot of control over reviews and most of the messaging crossing borders, but the least they could have done is get the website right and the dealers clear messaging, most of them are oblivious.

I realize there was supposedly some sort of manufacturing issue that led to this, but judging by the number of people (even BMW fans) whose eyes glaze over when I start talking about steering wheels or car mods, there can’t be that many people for BMW NA to please and fix the issue for, if they don’t have the inventory to do it for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 02:56 PM   #290
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keweenawbee View Post
I smell a class action here. They probably don't want the publicity maybe they'll give us a break. I love the car so much I've sort of blocked it, finally, out of mind.
It’s hard to say, I’m sure a lawyer would be more than willing to whip up a class action, but every forum member I’ve talked to has been aware that the steering wheel is a 248 in time to cancel their order, or even if they aren’t aware, when they check they have a 248 optioned. So it’s hard to say that there was any obligation for BMW to provide a 710 wheel when it’s right there on the paperwork for each individual, seems kind of like complaining that you didn’t get the 21” wheels pictured in all of the marketing material when your paperwork shows you ordered 19” wheels. I’m not a lawyer though.

The 248 wheel does look like about half a dozen others on the market, including the leather wrapped Toyota Sienna wheel my wife has. I’ll say though, despite the superficial similarities, my 248 wheel is clearly nicer, better leather, better and more solid buttons. The steering wheel heat goes all the way around rather than just at 10 and 2. It’s still a nice wheel and comparing it to a Honda wheel is not giving it enough credit, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 03:36 PM   #291
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i-m-exec Rides:R1250RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
It’s hard to say, I’m sure a lawyer would be more than willing to whip up a class action, but every forum member I’ve talked to has been aware that the steering wheel is a 248 in time to cancel their order, or even if they aren’t aware, when they check they have a 248 optioned. So it’s hard to say that there was any obligation for BMW to provide a 710 wheel when it’s right there on the paperwork for each individual, seems kind of like complaining that you didn’t get the 21” wheels pictured in all of the marketing material when your paperwork shows you ordered 19” wheels. I’m not a lawyer though.

The 248 wheel does look like about half a dozen others on the market, including the leather wrapped Toyota Sienna wheel my wife has. I’ll say though, despite the superficial similarities, my 248 wheel is clearly nicer, better leather, better and more solid buttons. The steering wheel heat goes all the way around rather than just at 10 and 2. It’s still a nice wheel and comparing it to a Honda wheel is not giving it enough credit, IMO.
My first thought was Buick.
I'm taking a quick look at my sticker (shown below, bought it off the lot), I do find "Sport leather steering wheel…...Included", but well after the M-Sport Package description. Is that on the X-Line non-m-sport version stickers? Sorry if this is add-nauseum here. (long thread) ……...I am going to look up an x-line sticker and take this down if …… Actually on my first try I find only "Leather steering wheel".
Attached Images

Last edited by Keweenawbee; 12-28-2017 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 07:50 PM   #292
iliveinhope
Registered
Rep

Quote:
I don’t buy that it was a last minute decision, as going all the way back to the May US ordering guide, months before production started it shows clearly the steering wheel is an option 248, not a 710.

I do think the messaging has been botched horribly and they should make the relatively few people who care about this whole and/or suffer the bad PR for it and loss of loyalty for it. They don’t have a lot of control over reviews and most of the messaging crossing borders, but the least they could have done is get the website right and the dealers clear messaging, most of them are oblivious.

I realize there was supposedly some sort of manufacturing issue that led to this, but judging by the number of people (even BMW fans) whose eyes glaze over when I start talking about steering wheels or car mods, there can’t be that many people for BMW NA to please and fix the issue for, if they don’t have the inventory to do it for everyone.
There some valid points in your statement. However, with those pictures and reviews, BMW also published standard features for X3 M40i. M Sport Steering Wheel was in that literature. Unfortunately, I didn't specifically google X3 M40i steering wheel before I got the car. Average BMW customers don't place custom orders. Average BMW customers don't inspect BMW ordering guides and review order sheets. Not saying we shouldn't. =). It is just not something average customers do. we get sold by marketing material and things they push out.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 06:43 AM   #293
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
It's strange, on the ordering and pricing guide, there's no mention of an M Sport Steering wheel. The default wheel on both the 30i and M40i is option 255, the Sport Steering wheel, with it switching to option 248 if you want the heated version. But the X3s at Frankfurt definitely had M Sport branded steering wheels.
Quote:
And just to clarify, our order actually shows the wheel design as the 255 I think, and then the 248 designation just means it is heated, or at least I think it does. And as an aside, my wife is liking the added thickness of the temporary leather I stitched on (in the DIY thread). Will be anxious to try out the premium leather once it gets here, but that may be an option while awaiting BMW's decision.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 10:30 AM   #294
Ranger8
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, R1250GSA, R 1250RT

While the steering wheel is not a show stopper for me I would like to know as to why BMW decided that US customers are not worthy of the M steering wheel that has been an integral part of almost all previous M packages. Most buyers, myself included, had a reasonable expectation that this tradition would continue with the M40i.
Since its available in most every other market outside the US and I don't buy the shortage story. It is deceptive and shrewd of BMW to hide behind spec/ordering sheets and general disclaimers on features, etc. when every piece of promotional material prominently features the M wheel.
I am not an attorney and BMW may be on safe ground in legal terms but they are not building a loyal following by pursuing such questionable decisions.
Appreciate 1
ZHPsedan135.50
      12-29-2017, 01:40 PM   #295
iliveinhope
Registered
Rep

There is an example of reputable manufacture accepts responsibilities... after being called out. :thumbup:

https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/

What do we learn from this? - don't just accept the status quo. Let your concern known. Their lawyers and management are listening. If this is a big enough problem for them, they will fix it.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 08:33 PM   #296
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger8 View Post
While the steering wheel is not a show stopper for me I would like to know as to why BMW decided that US customers are not worthy of the M steering wheel that has been an integral part of almost all previous M packages. Most buyers, myself included, had a reasonable expectation that this tradition would continue with the M40i.
Since its available in most every other market outside the US and I don't buy the shortage story. It is deceptive and shrewd of BMW to hide behind spec/ordering sheets and general disclaimers on features, etc. when every piece of promotional material prominently features the M wheel.
I am not an attorney and BMW may be on safe ground in legal terms but they are not building a loyal following by pursuing such questionable decisions.

The most reasonable explanation that I got was that this particular steering wheel, in this particular vehicle, did not meet/pass federal crash regulations/testing.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 10:37 PM   #297
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
If they have enough quantity to satisfy multiple markets vs one market, then they are going to choose the multiple markets.

I don't think there is any lawsuit here and people screen "class-action" whenever at every whim. The steering wheel is not the only item that BMW has chosen to be different in various markets and yes, while it was in the description online at the beginning - the configurator never showed the M-sport wheel for the US and the contract that we signed is not based on what we see on the website. At the end of the day, the website is advertising/marketing and it is not an offer waiting for acceptance.

It does suck and BMW did not do a good job at all conveying this and it sucks that North America got the shaft. I think hopefully BMW will hear the complaints and then decide to do something about it for the people that adopted this car so early in the game. If they don't, I just don't see any legal recourse unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 11:56 PM   #298
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT, G01/F97 X3M

I think if we all call BMW USA and BMW Canada to voice our concern with not getting the M wheel then maybe they care enough to do something about it. Although the likelihood is small.

If we just complain here nobody will hear that.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 04:13 AM   #299
CruzM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 "Velocity Edition"

BMW would listen if sales went down but we all know that isn't going to happen just because people don't like the steering wheel. It sucks but I don't see anything happening for us early adopters. This was one of the deciding factors of me telling my wife not to get the M40i. We got the 30i with M Sport which usually would also come with the M sport steering wheel but to me doesn't have as much of an impact that it doesn't since it's the 30i. We will just swap the wheel later.
2016 328i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 05:28 AM   #300
Yizu
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
While the steering wheel is not a show stopper for me I would like to know as to why BMW decided that US customers are not worthy of the M steering wheel that has been an integral part of almost all previous M packages.
Why the negatieve comments regarding the m-sport wheel. If we, in the Netherlands, are purchasing a M40i it costs us USD 140K!!!! Instead of the USD 70K in the US. Why the big difference? Of course we have some tax regulations but that is not the USD 70K.

I rather spend USD 70K and purchase the M-wheel later instead of buying the M40i in the Netherlands.

As SOR said before, in Canada you get the 718M 21” wheel when you order a M40i but we have to pay an extra USD 1800. Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliveinhope View Post
Average BMW customers don't place custom orders. Average BMW customers don't inspect BMW ordering guides and review order sheets. Not saying we shouldn't. =). It is just not something average customers do. we get sold by marketing material and things they push out.
Why is BMW responsable for you not reading the ordering guide? You’re spending almost USD 70K and you’re not reading what you’re ordering! For me that’s unbelievable, I read it 20 times!! (still reading it )

I understand that it could me anoing but you could have know that you wouldn’t gonna get the M-Sport Wheel.

My apologies for my poor english

Last edited by Yizu; 12-31-2017 at 05:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
Gudus16.50
      12-31-2017, 08:08 AM   #301
Headwind
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
That is not exactly correct my build sheet shows 710 M steering wheel. Dated Sept 9, 2017. I called BMW about it. Went nowhere.
Attached Images

Last edited by Headwind; 12-31-2017 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 09:05 AM   #302
FCBayernFTW
BMW Brand fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X4 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Gotta be honest...other than the M-color stitching, I don't notice a huge difference from the X3 and My M4 steering wheel. It's like negligible...

Outside of that, I can appreciate why people are upset if it was in their vehicle build sheet.
      12-31-2017, 09:25 AM   #303
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headwind View Post
That is not exactly correct my build sheet shows 710 M steering wheel. Dated Sept 9, 2017. I called BMW about it. Went nowhere.
Yes, if that’s the case then I think you do have something. I’ve only heard of maybe one other on the forum who had it on the build sheet, but it changed and the dealer notified them prior to the car being built, basically the update was accepted with plenty of time to back out.

It seems weird to me that it ever showed up on build sheets since the spec published in May 2017 didn’t, but as with everything else regarding this, consistency is lacking.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 07:14 PM   #304
Ranger8
Private
Rep

Excerpt from official BMW NA Press Release:

"M Sport Package.

The M Sport Package focuses its attentions on the dynamic prowess of the all-new BMW X3 with the M Aerodynamic kit (front apron with larger air intakes, side skirt trim, and a diffusor-style rear apron). Also included are Shadowline exterior trim and 19-inch M Double-Spoke Wheels with All-season Run Flat Tires or Performance Run Flat Tires. For customers seeking the most dynamic BMW X3, M Double-Spoke 20-inch Wheels with Mixed Performance Run Flat Tires are available as an upgrade option. The interior includes a new M Sport leather steering wheel, M door sill finishers and a SensaTec upholstered dashboard."
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 07:59 PM   #305
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
I think if we all call BMW USA and BMW Canada to voice our concern with not getting the M wheel then maybe they care enough to do something about it. Although the likelihood is small.

If we just complain here nobody will hear that.
So far after speaking with BMW customer care I feel that all I will ever reach is the call taker who just answers the phone. I never get passed up to a supervisor or anything. They never will give me a case # for a complaint, so I feel the issue dies as soon as I hang up the phone. Totally useless.

Surprisingly, don't laugh, Jeep was way more responsive with their staff in following up on an issue. That's what customer service should be.
BMW could use some lessons from Chrysler.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 10:55 AM   #306
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Excerpt from official BMW NA Press Release:

"M Sport Package.

The M Sport Package focuses its attentions on the dynamic prowess of the all-new BMW X3 with the M Aerodynamic kit (front apron with larger air intakes, side skirt trim, and a diffusor-style rear apron). Also included are Shadowline exterior trim and 19-inch M Double-Spoke Wheels with All-season Run Flat Tires or Performance Run Flat Tires. For customers seeking the most dynamic BMW X3, M Double-Spoke 20-inch Wheels with Mixed Performance Run Flat Tires are available as an upgrade option. The interior includes a new M Sport leather steering wheel, M door sill finishers and a SensaTec upholstered dashboard."

Seen this over and over from BMW. Their Marketing department does not seem to ever talk to their production/engineering departments. Very poor communication on the steering wheel, adaptive lighting (anit-dazzling not fully implemented in US despite the videos posted by BMW), compact spare (not shown properly or described properly on Build It configurator), ventilated seats (no mention in configurator about this deleting the bolster adjustments).
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 01:35 PM   #307
Ranger8
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcooper View Post
Seen this over and over from BMW. Their Marketing department does not seem to ever talk to their production/engineering departments. Very poor communication on the steering wheel, adaptive lighting (anit-dazzling not fully implemented in US despite the videos posted by BMW), compact spare (not shown properly or described properly on Build It configurator), ventilated seats (no mention in configurator about this deleting the bolster adjustments).
What is more annoying is BMW's ignorance/arrogance about these matters. Their customer service mentality seems stuck in the 90's when young professionals kept buying BMW's with bonuses they hadn't even received yet.
I have a Love/Hate relationship with the brand and some regrets for falling into their trap, again. Having said that, the X3 M40i is most definitely a hoot to drive.
Appreciate 1
bwcooper182.00
      01-03-2018, 10:09 PM   #308
lucasella
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 x3

Hi everyone from a newbie. I just got back from a dealership here in Mexico to take a look at the new x3 M40i. This M package does have the M steering wheel and it looks great in person. I still can't believe some of the M at dealership in the San Diego area have the regular steering wheel! I think this inexcusable from BMW since the X3 is made in the US and yet cars from other countries do get the M wheel. I took lots of pics but don't know how to post them, as this is my first post. I've been a long lurker and I'm planning to order a M40i eventually.
Appreciate 0