BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-10-2020, 03:28 PM   #2971
Atlanta ///M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW i4 e40 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielHazelrigg View Post
Anyone tinted the front windows and used a 25-28%? I had 20 on my last bmw and it was too dark, imo.

Trying to decide on the front window tints to match the rear well but not too dark.
Regarding front window tint...Actually yeah that was me in this same thread...originally had Suntek 20%...(which technically was 18%)...and after further review I was unhappy with install quality...so I just switched to a better tint shop and this time the install is better (and we used Pinnacle 25% this time). Very very happy with it...I'll post pics and full details explaining the switch later tonight.

Last edited by Atlanta ///M; 11-11-2020 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 03:30 PM   #2972
DanielHazelrigg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport EB-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta ///M View Post
Quote:
Anyone tinted the front windows and used a 25-28%? I had 20 on my last bmw and it was too dark, imo.

Trying to decide on the front window tints to match the rear well but not too dark.
Regarding front window tint...Actually yeah that was me in this same thread...originally had Suntek 20%...and after further review I was unhappy with install quality...so I just switched to a better tint shop and this time the install is better (and we used Pinnacle 25% this time). Very very happy with it...I'll post pics and full details explaining the switch later tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta ///M View Post
Quote:

Regarding front window tint...Actually yeah that was me in this same thread...originally had Suntek 20%...and after further review I was unhappy with install quality...so I just switched to a better tint shop and this time the install is better (and we used Pinnacle 25% this time). Very very happy with it...I'll post pics and full details explaining the switch later tonight.
Thanks! And the 25%, how is it affecting or not affecting the auto-dimming dash? Do you have full digital IDrive7 or IDrive 6 in your X3?
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2020, 04:18 PM   #2973
Admiral
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 2.0D X Line G01

Quote:
Thanks! And the 25%, how is it affecting or not affecting the auto-dimming dash? Do you have full digital IDrive7 or IDrive 6 in your X3?
See this thread

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1733763
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2020, 06:47 PM   #2974
Atlanta ///M
Private First Class
Rep

As far as the tint and auto dimming issue, I haven't noticed anything yet on my 2020 model...but I've not had my tint long, and now my car is at BMW service (driver's door ambient light issue).

When I get it back I'll be on the lookout for the auto dimming issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 07:01 PM   #2975
Atlanta ///M
Private First Class
Rep

Here's my experience with two go rounds recently tinting the two front windows.

The first go round was with Hot Spot Tinting and we used Suntek Carbon CXP...turns out it was technically the 18%. The install quality was just "good" and I was actually pretty happy with the match overall. A few days went by and started noticing lots of imperfections and little things that started to add up. Also learned the Suntek CXP tint has a slight green hue to it...barely noticeable but I prefer the all charcoal or smokey gray tones. Then I noticed my ambient lighting in driver's door developed hot spots and uneven areas (turns out this was probably not because of tinted windows and our ambient lighting is just finicky in general with uneven areas...I've noticed this in 2020 BMW loaners too).

All these little things left me feeling like the project could have gone better. So after doing more research on tint (there's lots of details I've learned recently)...decided to go for round two.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2020, 07:20 PM   #2976
Atlanta ///M
Private First Class
Rep

Round Two:

I got a great recommendation from United BMW Alpharetta, this time I went to Solarworks Glass Tinting Alpharetta and met with Tyler. He was awesome, really friendly and took his time with me explaining lots of details.

We ended up doing Llumar Formula One Pinnacle 25% which is a "mid grade ceramic" with high rejection specs. He was able to do a super clean install overall...and all the way to the top edge (no gap).

So in summary, the so called improvements versus round one:

-Better match (both color wise and %)
-Cleaner Overall Install (with edgeless top)
-Higher Heat Rejection
-Slightly better driving visibility

The improvements are subtle of course, and since this is my daily driver and my project car I just wanted it to be right. Luckily I'm happy with it!
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2020, 08:28 PM   #2977
Atlanta ///M
Private First Class
Rep

Here's with the Pinnacle 25%...will get better pics, this was an overcast day and the other one is inside a parking deck.
Attached Images

Appreciate 8
      11-10-2020, 08:33 PM   #2978
Atlanta ///M
Private First Class
Rep

Also, I learned so much about window tint by reading through this entire thread from the F80 M3 forum...tons of info all in one place which is very helpful.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1020301
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
OHV_441977.00
AlexFL7926.50
LimiX4m40152.50
      11-11-2020, 08:28 PM   #2979
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
Took the X3 into the dealership for some service. Ended up getting the oil changes, wiper blades swapped out, key fob battery swapped out, and the rear brake pads done. Has a total of 21,767 miles at the moment.

The shitty part is that one the way to the dealership I took a rock to the windshield and got a nice chip in it right by the rear view mirror. The chip also started to crack but wasn't larger than a quarter when I dropped it off. Called insurance to see about getting it fixed while at the dealership but Geico wouldn't authorize a full replacement due to the size. Sure as shit by the time I picked up the X3 one of the cracks has now spread across the entire length of the windshield and now warrants replacement. Dealership called Geico to get authorization for a replacement and they won't foot the full bill and I'd be left with paying $1,500 out of pocket even with a $0 glass deductible. 😕🤷🏻

I would really prefer OEM glass and swap out by the dealership but it's a hard pill to swallow to be stuck with a $1,500 bill for something that could literally crack again on the way home if I got another rock to the windshield on the freeway again. Might just have to end up doing the Safelite route and then pay nothing.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 10:01 PM   #2980
X3-30E
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E46 M3, G01-30e

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Took the X3 into the dealership for some service. Ended up getting the oil changes, wiper blades swapped out, key fob battery swapped out, and the rear brake pads done. Has a total of 21,767 miles at the moment.

The shitty part is that one the way to the dealership I took a rock to the windshield and got a nice chip in it right by the rear view mirror. The chip also started to crack but wasn't larger than a quarter when I dropped it off. Called insurance to see about getting it fixed while at the dealership but Geico wouldn't authorize a full replacement due to the size. Sure as shit by the time I picked up the X3 one of the cracks has now spread across the entire length of the windshield and now warrants replacement. Dealership called Geico to get authorization for a replacement and they won't foot the full bill and I'd be left with paying $1,500 out of pocket even with a $0 glass deductible. ������

I would really prefer OEM glass and swap out by the dealership but it's a hard pill to swallow to be stuck with a $1,500 bill for something that could literally crack again on the way home if I got another rock to the windshield on the freeway again. Might just have to end up doing the Safelite route and then pay nothing.
GEICO has mechanical break down insurance. I think the deductible is $250. My local agent told me it covers the windshield. That cost me $55 or so for 6 months. Do you have this coverage and they don't want to pay for it? If GEICO do not cover windshield damage, I think I better change to another one that will.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 10:10 PM   #2981
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-30E View Post
Quote:

The shitty part is that one the way to the dealership I took a rock to the windshield and got a nice chip in it right by the rear view mirror. The chip also started to crack but wasn't larger than a quarter when I dropped it off. Called insurance to see about getting it fixed while at the dealership but Geico wouldn't authorize a full replacement due to the size. Sure as shit by the time I picked up the X3 one of the cracks has now spread across the entire length of the windshield and now warrants replacement. Dealership called Geico to get authorization for a replacement and they won't foot the full bill and I'd be left with paying $1,500 out of pocket even with a $0 glass deductible. ������

GEICO has mechanical break down insurance. I think the deductible is $250. My local agent told me it covers the windshield. That cost me $55 or so for 6 months. Do you have this coverage and they don't want to pay for it? If GEICO do not cover windshield damage, I think I better change to another one that will.
I don't have the mechanical coverage with Geico. I didn't learn about how good it was until after it was too late to add it on for the X3. I'll definitely be getting it going forward on any new cars we get in the future though.

Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 1
Skotcoop270.00
      11-11-2020, 10:31 PM   #2982
X3-30E
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E46 M3, G01-30e

I just did a search on GEICO website, it says: "GEICO may be able to help when your vehicle's windshield or glass is damaged. This is usually covered under comprehensive coverage." I now think my local agent gave me the wrong information when I bought my coverage. I will call him about this since my comprehensive coverage deductible is much higher than MFI deductible, which is just $250.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 06:47 AM   #2983
Skotcoop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01

Quote:

The shitty part is that one the way to the dealership I took a rock to the windshield and got a nice chip in it right by the rear view mirror. The chip also started to crack but wasn't larger than a quarter when I dropped it off. Called insurance to see about getting it fixed while at the dealership but Geico wouldn't authorize a full replacement due to the size. Sure as shit by the time I picked up the X3 one of the cracks has now spread across the entire length of the windshield and now warrants replacement. Dealership called Geico to get authorization for a replacement and they won't foot the full bill and I'd be left with paying $1,500 out of pocket even with a $0 glass deductible. 😕🤷🏻

I literally just had this done last week and I would not recommend Safelite as they cannot calibrate the cameras to the new glass. I had mine replaced at the dealer and Geico foot the bill minus my $500 deductible. Total price came to just over $2700 and Geico was very quick to reimburse me after I submitted my paperwork from the dealer. Geico was hesitant at first but they eventually said they'd pay the full amount (minus ded.). I don't think I even had to show them how big the damage was but it was significant enough that Safelite wouldn't even attempt a repair. The actual chip itself was probably the size of a nickel, with cracks that spread to about the size of a silver dollar. Your dealer will do the job far better because they've done hundreds. My brother who works for BMW Beverly Hills said hes probably done over 100 himself. There is far more to do than just pop the glass out and put a new one in that I wouldn't trust with Safelite. Plus they may not even use OEM which might mess with the HUD. Anyway, Geico should cover it under comprehensive.
      11-12-2020, 07:26 AM   #2984
docal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i

Radio upgrade after market

So I decided after almost a year to upgrade my shitty standard radio in my X.3. Oh boy, this was not easy. I decided to opt for a power boost and hired a reputable company to install an Audison 500W quality (I assume) product ($1400 installed) to give a semblance of sound which should come standard in a 60k car. Long story short, when I got the vehicle back the exhaust sound was off the charts, causing vibration in the cabin, and I could only start the radio with the engine on. I took it back and they were responsive, but didn't fix the problems in a second go around. Finally, after consultations with the dealer who were very helpful, despite the aftermarket situation, the issues were resolved. Moral of the story, upgrade the radio at the factory.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 09:45 AM   #2985
nitinsharma1000
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 xDrive28

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon360x View Post
Have these installed, the surface is not as smooth as Autotecknic's, but still feels very good.
Where did you get those? They look great.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 10:18 AM   #2986
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skotcoop View Post
Quote:

I literally just had this done last week and I would not recommend Safelite as they cannot calibrate the cameras to the new glass. I had mine replaced at the dealer and Geico foot the bill minus my $500 deductible. Total price came to just over $2700 and Geico was very quick to reimburse me after I submitted my paperwork from the dealer. Geico was hesitant at first but they eventually said they'd pay the full amount (minus ded.). I don't think I even had to show them how big the damage was but it was significant enough that Safelite wouldn't even attempt a repair. The actual chip itself was probably the size of a nickel, with cracks that spread to about the size of a silver dollar. Your dealer will do the job far better because they've done hundreds. My brother who works for BMW Beverly Hills said hes probably done over 100 himself. There is far more to do than just pop the glass out and put a new one in that I wouldn't trust with Safelite. Plus they may not even use OEM which might mess with the HUD. Anyway, Geico should cover it under comprehensive.
Good to know, thanks. I'll have to give Geico a call today or tomorrow and discuss further with them regarding getting it covered. My comprehensive deductible is $1,000 but I do have the $0 deductible glass coverage. Sounds like I could end up being out $1,000 though if they were to default to the comprehensive deductible.

Appreciate 2
      11-12-2020, 11:31 PM   #2987
spaceman12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Quote:
Good to know, thanks. I'll have to give Geico a call today or tomorrow and discuss further with them regarding getting it covered. My comprehensive deductible is $1,000 but I do have the $0 deductible glass coverage. Sounds like I could end up being out $1,000 though if they were to default to the comprehensive deductible.
I actually have Geico with mechanical breakdown insurance (MBI) and had my window replaced last week. When I called the insurance agent they said my windshield was covered because I had MBI (I had no clue glass was covered as part of this) and they told me my deductible for that is $50. And of course I had full OEM windshield replaced. The dealer quoted about $1600 for parts and + $50-$100 for labor. I didn't see the total since Geico paid the windshield guy directly and I paid him $50 but I was very happy with the whole process.

Also my rock chip was weird but it was one little point of impact that caused a ring about 2 in diameter of softened glass (can't see through this) to form. Anyways it was in my direct line of sight so I told them that and they authorized the replacement with no further questions asked.
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0020097.00
      11-13-2020, 08:08 AM   #2988
Skotcoop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And my windshield just got hit again this morning. My luck is seriously the worst. Not quite as bad as the first time but it hasn't even been a f***ing week!! So pissed.
      11-13-2020, 08:40 AM   #2989
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And my windshield just got hit again this morning. My luck is seriously the worst. Not quite as bad as the first time but it hasn't even been a f***ing week!! So pissed.
Shit. That right there is why I'm definitely not wanting to pay $1,500 out of pocket! I didn't have time yesterday but hopefully will give them a call today and discuss the costs.

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 10:51 AM   #2990
dreamerM40i
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

After a good wash and a coat of Chemical Guys Hydro Slick and winter tires dressed with VRP..All set to take on the Canadian Winter..
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
OHV_441977.00
      11-15-2020, 04:25 AM   #2991
Sammy_V
Happy M40i driver
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
Updated my Sat Nav with the latest 2020-03 maps
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
OHV_441977.00
      11-16-2020, 06:01 AM   #2992
Skotcoop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Shit. That right there is why I'm definitely not wanting to pay $1,500 out of pocket! I didn't have time yesterday but hopefully will give them a call today and discuss the costs.
Yeah I don't blame you. I've barely had the car a month and put about 1500 miles on it. Never have I been hit by a rock by this size let alone twice within 2 weeks on the same roads I've driven for 2 years.