BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-17-2023, 07:34 AM   #221
avi66
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaglik View Post
I'm considering this for my 21 m40i, as the hifi it came with is really terrible (the base sound in my e83 has more response), but I immediately get turned off by a vendor when they tack things on that not only are not explained, I can't remove. Can anyone chime in on what this extra $135 is for?
What happens if you select the bin symbol shown on the ASD etc elements ?

ASD is BMW Audio System Design which creates things like artificial engine sound via the audio system speakers.
Appreciate 1
smaglik569.00
      11-17-2023, 07:38 AM   #222
smaglik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3 MT

I thought they were grayed out, but I guess I was having a click problem. I was able to remove them. Thank you for providing that moment of clarity. 😂
avi663520.00
      11-17-2023, 10:27 AM   #223
tallslenderguy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Definitely not right. It was a 25 min install for me. Is your amp light green or red when you are getting no sound? I had no issues with the bracket but I also have an X4.
Hey, thanks for your response. The instructions i received were a link, when i opened the link, had to jump through several hoops to get to the youtube links for the install. The links were for an X3, not a Z. They also included pics of the Z4 trunk. I found my own youtube install vid, which was done by bimmertech? Not sure why they didn't send that link instead?
Re having to drill holes for the in their amp mounting plate, this was at the bottom of their instructions:
"As discussed prior to fulfilling your order at this time we are not yet supplying a perfectly fitting mounting bracket which would allow a bolt on installation of the amplifier to the X7 chassis. Because of this, please make sure that it is mounted safely using zip ties, tape or any other reasonable contraption which will prevent the amplifier from moving around within the wheel well area."

There was no "discussed prior." The first i learned of this was when i went to mount their amp. i can believe they seriously suggest "tape" or "zip ties" to mount the amp? It was annoying for something costing $1.5k to not be truly plug and play, but i've restored 4 historical houses, so i'm fairly resourceful.

I'll check the amp light after sending this. Thanks for the idea.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2023, 10:39 AM   #224
tallslenderguy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Name:  IMG_0660.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  67.1 KBThe amp is at an awkward angle, i do not see lights at all?
(if i do see lights, instinct tells me i should not go towards the lights?)

Last edited by tallslenderguy; 11-17-2023 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 11:08 AM   #225
tallslenderguy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok, after several pics and a little back and forth with bimmertech, the top plug wasn't in all the way (the little gears on the slide switch were not engaged). That brought the stereo to life. Yay.
So, question two to those experienced with this, is there an equalizer that comes up on the idrive 7 that can be adjusted? i don't even get bass, treble and balance controls now on my interior touch screen?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 03:28 PM   #226
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallslenderguy View Post
Ok, after several pics and a little back and forth with bimmertech, the top plug wasn't in all the way (the little gears on the slide switch were not engaged). That brought the stereo to life. Yay.
So, question two to those experienced with this, is there an equalizer that comes up on the idrive 7 that can be adjusted? i don't even get bass, treble and balance controls now on my interior touch screen?
I drive 7 has base, treble, balance under audio settings. You can tune the amp by leaving your laptop connected in the trunk and playing with the settings, or have a tuning session with Bimmertech (they can also email you updated files to load onto your amp based on what you tell them u like (I.e, brighter mid tones, more base, less treble, etc).
Appreciate 2
      11-17-2023, 04:39 PM   #227
Rob1261
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3

Quote:
Hey, thanks for your response. The instructions i received were a link, when i opened the link, had to jump through several hoops to get to the youtube links for the install. The links were for an X3, not a Z. They also included pics of the Z4 trunk. I found my own youtube install vid, which was done by bimmertech? Not sure why they didn't send that link instead?
Re having to drill holes for the in their amp mounting plate, this was at the bottom of their instructions:
"As discussed prior to fulfilling your order at this time we are not yet supplying a perfectly fitting mounting bracket which would allow a bolt on installation of the amplifier to the X7 chassis. Because of this, please make sure that it is mounted safely using zip ties, tape or any other reasonable contraption which will prevent the amplifier from moving around within the wheel well area."

There was no "discussed prior." The first i learned of this was when i went to mount their amp. i can believe they seriously suggest "tape" or "zip ties" to mount the amp? It was annoying for something costing $1.5k to not be truly plug and play, but i've restored 4 historical houses, so i'm fairly resourceful.

I'll check the amp light after sending this. Thanks for the idea.
Hi, for my X3 I used Heavy Duty (15 lbs) Velcro 4” tape strips from Lowe’s to attach the Amp above the current Amp. They seem to work OK. May add some zip ties.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 06:03 PM   #228
tallslenderguy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Okay, have had a chance to listen to the HiFi with the added Alpha One amp, drove 10 miles on a sunny day with the top down, didn't feel like i had no stereo. i'm not a sound expert, so not sure how to describe the difference in technical terms? Before i felt like i was always turning up the volume because i felt the stereo was reaching for parts of the music that were at the periphery? Now the music is fuller, even when there is ambient noise from the top being down. The subtleties of the music are there, and it's well balanced. i tweaked the bass and treble up a bit, but not much beyond midway. i'm liking the improvement. :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 06:08 PM   #229
tallslenderguy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1261 View Post
Hi, for my X3 I used Heavy Duty (15 lbs) Velcro 4” tape strips from Lowe’s to attach the Amp above the current Amp. They seem to work OK. May add some zip ties.

i just ended up drilling holes in the amp plate to align with the holes in the Z's existing bracket with the ram module on it (you can see it in the pic above) i used the three screws supplied and just drilled the holes where they would work. It was getting cold and dark out last night when i discovered it wasn't ready for prime time, but it was fixable. my concern with tape or zip ties is, in my experience, they deteriorate over time? idk, i may be being to picky, but it's set and back together now, am happy.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 04:10 AM   #230
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmSpeed View Post
I might be one or the only one that returned the Alpha One Amplifier for HK equipped 2023 X4 lol

Yes, it improves the sounds quality but I just personally don't feel like that improvement worth $1700 USD 😕

They marked up the price quite insanely, it was below or around $1k when I first looked many months ago and fast forward today it's almost double.
You might be the only one on here with HK. . I think that amp is band new and was never $1k (could be wrong).

Alas I think my HK sounds terrible. So tell me, was there that little sound upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 12:24 PM   #231
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
You might be the only one on here with HK. . I think that amp is band new and was never $1k (could be wrong).

Alas I think my HK sounds terrible. So tell me, was there that little sound upgrade?
Can’t speak for the HK amp upgrade, but the non HK amp upgrade is worth every penny. I find it hard to believe that Bimmertech’s amp didn’t make HK sound light years better. The sound in these vehicles is atrocious!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 11:21 AM   #232
Rob1261
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3

[QUOTE=Burr001;28511164]Ok just finished installing my amp today from bimmertech, took 15 mins and can I say it made a big improvement in my 22' m40 lci w/ hifi audio system. I also purchased the ASD cable from them under the impression it was another harness to connect to the amp. It's a e-code cable and for them to code ASD off remotely for $75 , but instead of going through them to code my car, I used bimmercode to turn off the ASD.

Its sounds amazing with the stock speakers, but when I ordered my amp with the loaded file for more bass and listening to hip hop music, the stock speakers would distort during heavy bass notes. I'm waiting for the new speakers to ship this week and hopefully with that will eliminate the need to install a new file for the amp.

The only complaint I have is now the turn signal sound is alot louder, but i dont think there is a way to code the sound output lower”.
End Quote.

I’m confused. So you purchased expensive speakers than are very difficult or expensive to install because you didn’t want to load another sound file? The problem was not the Speakers as people here that did the same upgrade can attest to. The problem was that you just needed a new sound file 😬.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 02:41 PM   #233
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW x3 m40i  [10.00]
[QUOTE=Rob1261;30670080]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr001 View Post
Ok just finished installing my amp today from bimmertech, took 15 mins and can I say it made a big improvement in my 22' m40 lci w/ hifi audio system. I also purchased the ASD cable from them under the impression it was another harness to connect to the amp. It's a e-code cable and for them to code ASD off remotely for $75 , but instead of going through them to code my car, I used bimmercode to turn off the ASD.

Its sounds amazing with the stock speakers, but when I ordered my amp with the loaded file for more bass and listening to hip hop music, the stock speakers would distort during heavy bass notes. I'm waiting for the new speakers to ship this week and hopefully with that will eliminate the need to install a new file for the amp.

The only complaint I have is now the turn signal sound is alot louder, but i dont think there is a way to code the sound output lower”.
End Quote.

I’m confused. So you purchased expensive speakers than are very difficult or expensive to install because you didn’t want to load another sound file? The problem was not the Speakers as people here that did the same upgrade can attest to. The problem was that you just needed a new sound file 😬.
Your confused because you can't read.. this was long time ago. but thanks for your input hope this resolves your confusion.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 07:28 AM   #234
tallslenderguy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Just posted a new thread with an update on the loud turn signal issue! It’s fixed!
Looks like i need to do this too. my new amp sounds great until you accelerate lol. OMG, make it stop!.
To me, piping engine sounds through the stereo system is kinda like hanging those rubber testicles on the inside of a vehicle instead of on the outside. That's probably only a thing on planet earth. Gotta get the ASD off. i'm a little surprised the amp doesn't already come that way with all the discussion i see here about it. Does anyone actually like that feature?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 07:46 AM   #235
tallslenderguy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Found this vid on turning the ASD on and off using bimmerlink and an OBD adapter. Looks pretty simple, anyone do this method?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 12:30 PM   #236
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Looks like i need to do this too. my new amp sounds great until you accelerate lol. OMG, make it stop!.
To me, piping engine sounds through the stereo system is kinda like hanging those rubber testicles on the inside of a vehicle instead of on the outside. That's probably only a thing on planet earth. Gotta get the ASD off. i'm a little surprised the amp doesn't already come that way with all the discussion i see here about it. Does anyone actually like that feature?
Message Bimmertech. Let them know about the loud signals/Asd. They should send you a revised Tune to download. Surprised they sent you one without it already adjusted.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2023, 08:12 PM   #237
yojimbo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Found this vid on turning the ASD on and off using bimmerlink and an OBD adapter. Looks pretty simple, anyone do this method?
I did and work as intended. The app and OBD II adapter combined cost less than the coding itself from bimmertech ($58 vs $90). Unless I'm missing something but I'm not sure why someone would get it from bimmertech. Plus you can also use the app to check if you have any error code and clear most of them or even use it as a gauge if wanted.
Appreciate 2
      11-22-2023, 04:35 AM   #238
tallslenderguy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Message Bimmertech. Let them know about the loud signals/Asd. They should send you a revised Tune to download. Surprised they sent you one without it already adjusted.
i Got 10% off for Black Friday, so the Alpha one was $1300 instead of $1450. ASD deactivation is an add on for $99 ($89 Black Friday). I think Bimmertech is a wee bit greedy making ASD deactivation an add on.

i already have a "BlueDriver PRO OBD II" scan tool that i had for my Jag, it will work with Bimmerlink or Bimmercode. Either of those would be far superior in my estimation to spending another $99 for coding from Bimmertech that only does one thing, code off the ASD, which i think should already have been included. For $35 i can get Bimmerlink and have a simple on/off button for the ASD on my phone instead of having to cable my computer in the trunk of my car. Plus, Bimmerlink includes a bunch of other features beyond the ASD control.

At this point, i give Bimmertech and the Alpha One amp 6.5 stars out of 10. IMO it is an improvement, especially if you have a convertible. That's where the factory HiFi really fails for me, with the top down.

However, i believe at the Alpha One price point, it should do more. i don't believe i should have to go into the trunk of my car and use my computer to adjust sound, to me that is half hatched. i believe it should also upgrade and provide an equalizer incorporated into the idrive instead of just using the existing simple bass/treble/balance controls.

Just one persons opinion, but i think Bimmertech is milking this for all it's worth without going the extra mile. A little competition would do us all good i think. Meanwhile, i'm going to decide on Bimmerlink or Bimmercode today, i'm done with Bimmertech.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 05:06 AM   #239
avi66
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
i Got 10% off for Black Friday, so the Alpha one was $1300 instead of $1450. ASD deactivation is an add on for $99 ($89 Black Friday). I think Bimmertech is a wee bit greedy making ASD deactivation an add on.

i already have a "BlueDriver PRO OBD II" scan tool that i had for my Jag, it will work with Bimmerlink or Bimmercode. Either of those would be far superior in my estimation to spending another $99 for coding from Bimmertech that only does one thing, code off the ASD, which i think should already have been included. For $35 i can get Bimmerlink and have a simple on/off button for the ASD on my phone instead of having to cable my computer in the trunk of my car. Plus, Bimmerlink includes a bunch of other features beyond the ASD control.

At this point, i give Bimmertech and the Alpha One amp 6.5 stars out of 10. IMO it is an improvement, especially if you have a convertible. That's where the factory HiFi really fails for me, with the top down.

However, i believe at the Alpha One price point, it should do more. i don't believe i should have to go into the trunk of my car and use my computer to adjust sound, to me that is half hatched. i believe it should also upgrade and provide an equalizer incorporated into the idrive instead of just using the existing simple bass/treble/balance controls.

Just one persons opinion, but i think Bimmertech is milking this for all it's worth without going the extra mile. A little competition would do us all good i think. Meanwhile, i'm going to decide on Bimmerlink or Bimmercode today, i'm done with Bimmertech.
The problem with the rebranded Audiotec Fischer amp/DSP for RAM equipped cars is they are not digitally integrated into the BMW iDrive 7 audio eco system in any way, hence no iDrive menus, EQ etc.

The Alpha one just straps onto the analogue output harness of the existing BMW RAM/booster DSP/amp and intercepts the high level already amplified output on its way to the speakers.

For RAM based BMW’s I think it very unlikely there will be a digital replacement third party product due to the integrated functionality of the RAM.

Ps I should add that the existing iDrive 7 equaliser, HK Logic 7, bass, treble, fader, balance etc still apply to the output, as the BMW system is still applying DSP etc. How this will interact with the additional conversion and processing after the fact is anyone’s guess.

Last edited by avi66; 11-23-2023 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 2
      11-22-2023, 05:40 AM   #240
TXGrey
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [7.50]
Quote:
I still haven't posted about it, but this (also) happens when you ONLY REPLACE the under-the-seat subs (with Bavsound Ghost speakers). Holy hell.... You would've thought I unbolted the floorboard with the amount of vibration I had. I immediately walked into the house, grabbed my gear, and coded off ASD. Much better.

BUT - I do have to say, which is why I was going to create a separate thread at some point because it totally confused me and I thought I would share my input, my engine "sound" is actually LOUDER at certain RPMs (with ASD OFF) than it was WITH the ASD turned on... only now, it's actual engine noise, not the speakers. I looked it up, and from what I can tell, the ASD actually does BOTH sound enhancement AND sound deadening (as in noise-cancellation). I believe their programming works to give you the best of both worlds. So I was rather conflicted when at low RPMs, I swear the car was a tad louder than it was before... Regardless, I've left off the ASD and yes, I think it sounds totally fine. And of course, now it's not messing with my music during driving as well.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2023, 11:35 AM   #241
Rottweiler
Captain (Retired)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Garage List
  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
The Alpha one just straps onto the analogue output harness of the existing BMW RAM/booster DSP/amp and intercepts the high level already amplified output on its way to the speakers
This was the dealbreaker for me
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 11:44 PM   #242
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:

I paid $900 for the amp and didn’t have to pay anything additional to get the ASD in check. I do feel that Bimmertech is getting greedy now and nickel and diming for things that should be included. For what I paid 2 years ago it was worth every penny.
Appreciate 2