BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-27-2021, 06:02 AM   #199
md_m40i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i 2020

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by plagm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by md_m40i View Post
thanks! that's that one put to bed for sure then.

Totally agree, I thought about this earlier but I can't feel the air moving above the sub speaker grill, nor really any obvious vibrations on the grill itself. Weird thing is I can feel vibrations on the lower still where the door meets the car body if that makes sense. I just think it's still from the door speakers though.

I used to have 2x 12inch subs back in the day, I definitely don't need that now but I need more bass than what this system is currently producing. I don't think the booster needs replacing again, or at least I hope not.

I played with the general bass settings, then equalizer upping the bass similar to settings posted in the thread. Even moved the fader back further but then the bass dropped off from the front speakers almost entirely, and nothing came up under the seats. I'm back to what I had it on which was by 'What's your Forte' on youtube that others kindly shared on the forum (think it's this one
) It's great for the upfront speakers, works well for hip hop/drum and bass etc but I still need more. I have tracks that are full of bass and it certainly isn't a night and day change that you and others described. I hear no difference to the 707 booster.

I will ask my service guy on Monday re other X3's they have in stock with HK to hear it in person. As you said they won't be run in yet. What I'm interested to see is if the you can feel the air move above the sub grills or feel vibrations on the grills themselves. If yes, then mine definitely is faulty.

Staying positive though, hoping for a good outcome as I get to drive the car more. Done less than 1100km since picking it up at the end of Sept '20. This is just a little frustrating in the meantime. Happy you got yours sorted though
My previous experience of the under-seat Subs is that they is a 8" speaker in a small plastic enclosure. Only the shape of the enclose changes between models, in a 3 coupe i had and i think my F32, this enclosure goes under the carpet and the grill you can feel is then on top of that.

But one side of this enclosure is open and touches/connects the inner sill of the car and there is a rubber seal between the two. As a result i think the plan is it uses some of the space to enhance the bass by increasing the size of the bass chamber.

THIS IS WHY YOU MAY FEEL VIBRATIONS ALONG THE SILL ETC. although almost any other chamber will vibrate with bass.

I don't think this has changed with BMW for maybe 15 years +i have not looked on our cars. But when i think about it now its almost like they no longer use the sill for extended space for bass...

My mates f30 was a nightmare as something inside this space used to vibrate and we never found it and from the outside it sounded like your stereo was distorted.

if music is something you value In my opinion the unseats should provide mid bass, adding a true sub will elevate beyond comparison, (done with harness from Tecnic and an amp and sub).

It adds weight and warmth, the car will feel full of sound. Not all subs are about vibrating your rear view mirror until it falls off. A Sub makes the hifi better to listen to at low and mid volumes too, its not all about going deaf.

My potential upgrade would be a Jl audio Sub enclosure. they do various models that fit under the floor of our cars boot/trunk.

They do 6/8/10/12 inch either ported or not, you can have them active( powered by JL's own internal amp) or passive or you can choose/build your own. Because of the size of the car i would likely go 10"+ none ported so the base is tight not boomy......these come with a 400w amp.

The space/cubby in front of the RAM is big enough to build a stealth box if that suits and you have the confidence/ability to build your own, (possibly my route) i have done this with a JL 8w3v3 in my alfa Romeo coupe in the same place. (focal speakers Alpine amp everywhere else). i don't know a factory fit stereo i like more......
JL make some of the best subs going. I had a couple, along with Rockford Fosgates and Alpine. Agree just don't need the mirror vibrating along with needing to dynamat half the car. I certainly don't want the distortion outside. Too old for the now.

Your points make for interesting reading about how the air is being ported around the chamber, I just assumed that the sun would efficiently push air up out of the grill too. Even as an 8inch.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2021, 06:17 AM   #200
plagm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d 2021, 430d 2017, X1 20D

Quote:
JL make some of the best subs going. I had a couple, along with Rockford Fosgates and Alpine. Agree just don't need the mirror vibrating along with needing to dynamat half the car. I certainly don't want the distortion outside. Too old for the now.

Your points make for interesting reading about how the air is being ported around the chamber, I just assumed that the sun would efficiently push air up out of the grill too. Even as an 8inch.
you do get some out of the grill but not as much as i would have thought,

it just under delivers which ever way we look at it......

it a good job the rest of the car is good...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 06:31 AM   #201
md_m40i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i 2020

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by plagm View Post
Quote:

you do get some out of the grill but not as much as i would have thought,

it just under delivers which ever way we look at it......

it a good job the rest of the car is good...
Bloody good job the rest of it is good 🤣
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 01:17 PM   #202
sdposton
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramparts View Post
Yes - it's the booster that the puma case replaces, not the amp (RAM). Mines much better since they replaced it with the new part
Took mine in because the base dropped out, they replaced the booster and now the stereo seems like its at half power...
Appreciate 0