BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
texasmojo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i automatic

Talking Garage project: sound system design. Need opinions.

I have some car audio equipment layin around in my garage and i have now decided to put it to use for my garage. I spend alot of time in my garage working on cars and weight training and really need music in there. So far my idea is to build something like a typical floor standing tower speaker holding all in one like stereo, mids, amp, and sub. My power supply source will be a pyramid ps14kx. My list of equipment is:
Stereo: Alpine cda 9815
Mids: two 6in Polk audio coaxials
Sub: 12" Alpine type R 1242 d
Amp: Memphis MCD-500
So far my plan is to place the sub at the bottom of the enclosure, the mids towards the middle/top, and the stereo at very top at about stomach/chest height. The sub area will be sealed away from all other equipment of course. My problem is the sub enclosure design itself. I have heard a shit load of cars but have not heard many speaker boxes in big open rooms (2 car garage in my case). I want to go ported/vented but not sure what to tune at. Im used to high 45hz boxes in cars. But this time i want something that will play all bass notes. Im not sure if to build it downfire sealed, sub and vent downfire, or traditional front facing spaeker and vent/port.
Any input/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Oh yeah forgot to mention, i have never heard this sub. It was given to me for installing an amp for my neighbor.
      03-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
JCE
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG M3 2010 Sedan

I always thought sealed subs were more "musical". Most of the window shakers in HT are vented. It varies on downfiring or frontfiring, though on concrete I would just guess that you do not want downfiring. I've heard of people putting pieces of carpet below a downfiring sub on a hard floor.....

I suggest going to this site and asking around instead of listening to me babbling. I consider this to the be best forum for audio/video on the web:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

They even have a car audio section.

BTW, Memphis Audio rocks. Not alot of people know that. I had 2 of their 10" woofers and one of their 5 channel Memphis Belle amps, along with four MA 5 1/4's for mids and 2 infinity plates for highs.....all in a Jeep Wrangler. I made that enclosure sealed; the thing would flat out rock.

Good luck with your project. Post pix when you finish.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
texasmojo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i automatic

Will check out that website, thanks.