BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-12-2024, 05:30 PM   #45
LW100
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i (soon)

Resurrecting this thread, is the Stoplock Pro Elite still considered to be the best option for the X3? Also been looking at the Milenco High Security steering wheel lock, hence looking for opinions/thoughts.
Also, have read different things re: Ghost immobiliser and whether there is any issue related to the warranty? Anyone aware of whether a Ghost immobile does/doesn’t invalidate warranty?
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 01:40 AM   #46
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i LCI

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [8.83]
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I have the pro elite. You need it as it has larger clamps to go over the X3’s thicker steering wheel (M wheel).

I also have a Ghost2. Never thought about it effecting the warranty, are you suggesting that BMW might not cover an electrical issue as the car would effectively be modified?
Best people to ask that question to would be BMW UK via an email.
2022 X3 M40i LCI. Brooklyn Grey Metallic. Driving Assistant Professional. Black with Blue Stitching Vernasca Leather M Seats. Comfort Pack. Pano Roof. OEM Carbon Fibre Interior Trim. 22” Vossen HF-5’s in satin bronze. Lots and lots more………
Appreciate 1
LW10025.50
      09-13-2024, 02:00 AM   #47
LW100
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun170 View Post
I have the pro elite. You need it as it has larger clamps to go over the X3’s thicker steering wheel (M wheel).

I also have a Ghost2. Never thought about it effecting the warranty, are you suggesting that BMW might not cover an electrical issue as the car would effectively be modified?
Best people to ask that question to would be BMW UK via an email.

Thanks, and re the Ghost, potentially. I was going to ask the sales guy that I am dealing with, but to your point a mail to BMW UK will probably be more effective.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 02:40 AM   #48
BigMart
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30D 2022

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [0.00]
I've got 2 x Milenco locks for both of our X3s
We use this one..
https://www.milenco.com/products/aut...ing-wheel-lock

in silver.
The only observation is after a few weeks parked they leave a small pressure mark on the wheel so we use a microfibre cloth on the wheel to avoid this which it does. 4 years in and no marks on the wheel.

The deciding factor for me was the lock length.
When not in use it's the width of the rear footwell so easy to drop there until next required.
HTH
Appreciate 1
LW10025.50
      09-13-2024, 02:51 AM   #49
avi66
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW100 View Post
Resurrecting this thread, is the Stoplock Pro Elite still considered to be the best option for the X3? Also been looking at the Milenco High Security steering wheel lock, hence looking for opinions/thoughts.
Also, have read different things re: Ghost immobiliser and whether there is any issue related to the warranty? Anyone aware of whether a Ghost immobile does/doesn’t invalidate warranty?
Cheers
I have the Stoplock Pro Elite, but don’t use it on the BMW as it would probably leave indentation due to the thickness of the steering wheel. They might just go away but didn’t fancy it.

Re the Ghost, if it’s not approved by BMW it will affect any warranty on related system. The unit cuts into the wiring and interferes with the cars electronic systems by design. So potentially any claim on a related system could cause a warranty denial, and under UK consumer law, it is the consumer who must prove it didn’t cause the problem, not the supplier having to prove it did.

There was a long thread on a different forum in 2021 about a guy in the UK that claimed warranty due to a catastrophic engine failure. The claim was denied because a unapproved Ghost was fitted. Fortunately in this instance, this was a BMW extended warranty (operated for BMW by Allianz Group) so sold as insurance, and as such regulated by the FCA as it’s a discrete financial service. The guy used the financial services ombudsman to dispute the denial, and after a long costly case it found in his favour. Last I heard he was going to court to try and recover cost.

Just bear in mind this was an insured warranty product purchased as a discrete financial service, not a standard new car warranty that isn’t subject to FCA regulation, so no FCA ombudsman to arbitrate.

I think you’re doing the right thing by asking BMW in writing, but don’t forget to also ask your supplying dealer, because your contract of sale is with the dealer not BMW UK. If there is any dispute under UK consumer law, it starts with the contracted supplier, even for new car warranty.

Last edited by avi66; 09-13-2024 at 03:55 AM..
Appreciate 1
LW10025.50
      09-13-2024, 07:03 AM   #50
LW100
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
I have the Stoplock Pro Elite, but don’t use it on the BMW as it would probably leave indentation due to the thickness of the steering wheel. They might just go away but didn’t fancy it.

Re the Ghost, if it’s not approved by BMW it will affect any warranty on related system. The unit cuts into the wiring and interferes with the cars electronic systems by design. So potentially any claim on a related system could cause a warranty denial, and under UK consumer law, it is the consumer who must prove it didn’t cause the problem, not the supplier having to prove it did.

There was a long thread on a different forum in 2021 about a guy in the UK that claimed warranty due to a catastrophic engine failure. The claim was denied because a unapproved Ghost was fitted. Fortunately in this instance, this was a BMW extended warranty (operated for BMW by Allianz Group) so sold as insurance, and as such regulated by the FCA as it’s a discrete financial service. The guy used the financial services ombudsman to dispute the denial, and after a long costly case it found in his favour. Last I heard he was going to court to try and recover cost.

Just bear in mind this was an insured warranty product purchased as a discrete financial service, not a standard new car warranty that isn’t subject to FCA regulation, so no FCA ombudsman to arbitrate.

I think you’re doing the right thing by asking BMW in writing, but don’t forget to also ask your supplying dealer, because your contract of sale is with the dealer not BMW UK. If there is any dispute under UK consumer law, it starts with the contracted supplier, even for new car warranty.

Thanks, and as per your response, this was the response I received from BMW this morning:-

"I can tell you that having a ghost immobiliser fitted on your car will not effect your warranty unless a problem arises that is caused by the immobiliser directly."

Equally to your point, it would come down to proof whether it did or didn't and the ensuing fun and games related to that discussion.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 08:05 AM   #51
avi66
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Thanks, and as per your response, this was the response I received from BMW this morning:-

"I can tell you that having a ghost immobiliser fitted on your car will not effect your warranty unless a problem arises that is caused by the immobiliser directly."

Equally to your point, it would come down to proof whether it did or didn't and the ensuing fun and games related to that discussion.
And that’s the issue. It’s a pita to spend money and time on expert reports, and even then it maybe inconclusive, so legal action and more cost. BMW has deep pockets.

The complexity and cost of the electronic systems in these cars in eye watering.

In the case I mentioned earlier, it was a broken valve that wrecked the engine, so completely unrelated to the Ghost. If it had been the electronics, the guy may not have been as fortunate, and that’s with an ombudsman.

Last edited by avi66; 09-13-2024 at 08:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
LW10025.50
      09-13-2024, 10:55 AM   #52
LW100
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
And that’s the issue. It’s a pita to spend money and time on expert reports, and even then it maybe inconclusive, so legal action and more cost. BMW has deep pockets.

The complexity and cost of the electronic systems in these cars in eye watering.

In the case I mentioned earlier, it was a broken valve that wrecked the engine, so completely unrelated to the Ghost. If it had been the electronics, the guy may not have been as fortunate, and that’s with an ombudsman.

A case of, pay your money, take your choice !! just could end up very expensive... maybe low risk, but always a chance...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 10:01 PM   #53
Rottweiler
Captain (Retired)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Garage List
  [6.83]
https://www.dahlerusa.com/products/d...ft-system-attc

I bought the above since I wanted a pedal with virtually no input slack (it does take a little getting used to at first)

The anti theft aspect of the device is merely a bonus
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2024, 01:45 AM   #54
LW100
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottweiler View Post
https://www.dahlerusa.com/products/d...ft-system-attc

I bought the above since I wanted a pedal with virtually no input slack (it does take a little getting used to at first)

The anti theft aspect of the device is merely a bonus
Interesting, not seen these before..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2024, 03:03 PM   #55
Rottweiler
Captain (Retired)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Garage List
  [6.83]
Quote:
Interesting, not seen these before..
If the cost isn’t an issue for you then it’s a good option for both aspects
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2024, 11:18 PM   #56
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

I've never heard about this remote modification. Does anyone know if dealers outside UK can make this mod? Or are the 2018/19 remotes outside UK already set up like that?
It would save remote battery life too I'm sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaMan View Post
I use a Disklok too. Works well.

Only criticism is there was some rough finishing inside which marked the leather wheel, but sorted with some sticky furniture pads from Wilko. Did try a Stoplok sock first but it was holed by the rough finished unit. Missed by Quality control. Had I got a Dremel, would have sorted myself.

Sits in the space under the boot floor when not needed and only used in public parking areas, as a rule.

I've also had the keys modified to the revised type used from March 2018 which cuts the wireless signal after 2 mins of inactivity. There is another post on how to get this from UK dealers for the early G01 models.
Appreciate 0