BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-13-2024, 05:18 PM   #1
mpressley2022
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 xdrive28i

Brakes sticking randomly while driving

It seems my brakes are randomly applying themselves throughout the day while driving and my car will slow down and begin to shudder pretty bad. I can usually come to a stop then start back and it drives completely normal. Zero lights on the dash. I’ve hesrs of similar issues and problems with the abs system. Any ideas? 2016 bmw x3. Currently have abs module unplugged to see if problem persists.

Say the abs valve or module has an issue if I replace that is there a way I could reprogram that myself?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2024, 09:51 PM   #2
TEF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
Went through similar problem also with 2016 X3. I traced it to a problematic left front caliper that would not retract pads after braking. After a few minutes of driving with struck caliper, the car would slow down and shutter (just like yours). The left pad and rotor became very hot. So much so that the heat discolored the rotor. Since a new caliper is over $300 (from FCP Euro), I removed and cleaned the original and that did not work. Another option would be to replace the piston seals, but took the easier (and more expensive) route with a new caliper.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2024, 11:40 PM   #3
drukpa
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpressley2022 View Post
It seems my brakes are randomly applying themselves throughout the day while driving and my car will slow down and begin to shudder pretty bad. I can usually come to a stop then start back and it drives completely normal. Zero lights on the dash. I’ve hesrs of similar issues and problems with the abs system. Any ideas? 2016 bmw x3. Currently have abs module unplugged to see if problem persists.

Say the abs valve or module has an issue if I replace that is there a way I could reprogram that myself?
Get a used ABS module (same part number as your car). Separate the valve body from the computer, it's easy, just held by some bolts. This way you don't have to program anything. Install the ABS module and then bleed your brakes as per ISTA.

The only messy/hard part is you spill brake fluid when you disconnect the ABS module.

I had the same problem, brakes engage by themselves randomly. I slowly stop and then press the brake further down as much as I can, then it releases, don't need to start/stop the car. When strongly pressing the brake, it seems to release something and clears the block.

Changed my ABS module as above and issue hasn't been there so far.
Appreciate 0