BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-22-2024, 12:09 PM   #45
Leem40i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr001 View Post
Great, I have been road racing before getting my actual drivers license and Im turning 50 this year, I understand the dynamics of what the suspension is doing and have actually driven/built alot of track purpose vehicles along the way.

Your this old house with bob villa test sounds like you googled that and copied and pasted it here but I degress. You have a great day.
Sorry bud but I didn't Google anything. That's just from my own knowledge and if your experience is factual you should know better than to connect a strut brace to a single Bolt
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 02:08 PM   #46
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW x3 m40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leem40i View Post
Sorry bud but I didn't Google anything. That's just from my own knowledge and if your experience is factual you should know better than to connect a strut brace to a single Bolt
Well slick, just because you drove a lot of performance automobiles as you put it...doesn't validated your opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 02:28 PM   #47
Leem40i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well slick, just because you drove a lot of performance automobiles as you put it...doesn't validated your opinion.
You're right, I'll let common sense take care of that.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 02:46 PM   #48
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

I knew literally nothing about the braces before stumbling onto this thread, still really don't, so what I did was some searching of existing products. Every performance brace I found had at least two holes with most having a ring for at least two.

For me that says it really depends on what the brace kit mentioned in this thread is intended to do. If it is just for aesthetic purposes that one bolt may be fine. If it is intended to enhance performance, it likely will not function or last as well as existing products.

Again, I know nothing of the engineering involved just what I found when looking at the products that are available.
      05-22-2024, 03:42 PM   #49
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You're right, I'll let common sense take care of that.
The level of common sense varies from person to person tbh.

From what you had said looking at strut braces online, the pictures always show a mounting plate with 2 or more holes. Have you looked at the the actual strut tower on your vehicle? Have you considered that vehicles of past in comparison to current design of vehicles today may have changed for the better? Would you say that materials or the stampings of the strut tower has evolved? Did you even consider the fact that different vehicles may have been designed differently and not all strut towers are the same?

To me it sure doesn't sound like it, you just base your opinion on the fact that you have seen pictures from all over the internet and they always come with a bracket with more than one hole.

Lets actually look at the the strut tower on our X3/4. Do you the ribs running down along the side of the tower...hmm I don't remember seeing that on older vehicles I wonder what's that for? Do you see how the top of strut tower is wider and thicker material is used than in comparison of the other cars you may/may not have driven?

I would love to hold your hand and explain what it means to actually use your mind and design facts than relying on "common sense".
Attached Images

Last edited by Burr001; 05-22-2024 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 2
GOGOII51.00
      05-22-2024, 03:51 PM   #50
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

You should probably pull out a bit on your pics. It looks like what you are showing is not what was being talked about, at least from my post. It is the other brace that is being referred to.

Edit: I guess I should say the ones I looked at were single bar across and not to the front. That could be the difference in the multiple versus one hole. I'm going to step out because I obviously don't know enough to contribute and probably only to confuse.

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 05-22-2024 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 04:00 PM   #51
Leem40i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The level of common sense varies from person to person tbh.

From what you had said looking at strut braces online, the pictures always show a mounting plate with 2 or more holes. Have you looked at the the actual strut tower on your vehicle? Have you considered that vehicles of past in comparison to current design of vehicles today may have changed for the better? Would you say that materials or the stampings of the strut tower has evolved? Did you even consider the fact that different vehicles may have been designed differently and not all strut towers are the same?

To me it sure doesn't sound like it, you just base your opinion on the fact that you have seen pictures from all over the internet and they always come with a bracket with more than one hole.

Lets actually look at the the strut tower on our X3/4. Do you the ribs running down along the side of the tower...hmm I don't remember seeing that on older vehicles I wonder what's that for? Do you see how the top of strut tower is wider and thicker material is used than in comparison of the other cars you may/may not have driven?

I would love to hold your hand and explain what it means to actually use your mind and design facts than relying on "common sense".
No need to hold hands, you convince me that there's no need for a strut Tower brace, congratulations
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 04:07 PM   #52
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
You should probably pull out a bit on your pics. It looks like what you are showing is not what was being talked about, at least from my post. It is the other brace that is being referred to.
No Lee's point of view using the single mounting point is not a good idea because the forces at play will shear the bolt, this is what I am focusing on.

As for the strut bars you may have seen online, each bracket is made to fit each different vehicle and may not have the option to use different mounting points. The fact is that this chassis has the ability and strength and design to accommodate a mounting point for the strut bar made out of solid 6061.

When looking at different vehicles the design of the strut tower may not have the same reinforcing ribs or an actual mount. Some vehicles have smooth strut towers to accommodate for space or to keep it lightweight or of thinner material and a bracket to use on the top hat is needed to spread the force evenly.
Appreciate 3
TurtleBoy15920.50
Rottweiler4331.50
GOGOII51.00
      05-22-2024, 06:06 PM   #53
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No need to hold hands, you convince me that there's no need for a strut Tower brace, congratulations
Tbh Lee, I'm on this forum to help others extract the most out of their vehicle. During the time i have gotten my x3, i have shared the good and the bad and to why that is.

I am not here to discourage someone from upgrading their ride, but if that person is using a general/misinformed information as to why something won't work, then at that point I must inform as to why outdated opinion/thinking is not the actual reason.

Sry I'm almost here to help anybody except that guy who wrote a post on how to extract more sound from the stock exhaust by lowering the rear seats or opening the windows.

Last edited by Burr001; 05-22-2024 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 4
TXGrey1368.00
      05-22-2024, 07:31 PM   #54
Private First Class
Singapore
Rep
Drives: x3

Garage List
20x3 Xsleep3r  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonPJT View Post
Finally got everything 3d printed and test fitted! Install was all of about a minute.
... fitment looks sweetzzz ... great efforts too 👌

... you have got lots of constructive arguments here, with hopes that can help you in a way or another 😉

... lets just leave that each to their own preferences... and continue do what you feel best to provide

... imho, choosing for strut is back to get on its rigidity with equal distribute forces, so yeaahh... a 1 pc 2-4pts would do me good ... and if its a 3pcs, i wud want to go on 6pts... well, that's just me
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 08:23 AM   #55
3y3scream
Private
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

please pm me the price with shipping to singapore, I'm so in !
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2024, 12:05 PM   #56
AshtonPJT
BM3 Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3y3scream View Post
please pm me the price with shipping to singapore, I'm so in !
Hey,

Im still currently working on pricing for the product! Will update once I have a set price!
Paul Johnson Tunes/ACX Solutions Shop/Development Car, XHP stage 3 with custom settings, CTS Downpipe, intake, Chargepipe, turbo inlet, coils, Nostrum Stage 1 Injectors and Nostrum Big Bore HPFP, Vargas PCV and Oil cap, HnR springs, ACX Rear poly bushing, ACX Intake scoop
Appreciate 2
      05-24-2024, 12:03 AM   #57
AshtonPJT
BM3 Tuner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 838 View Post
... fitment looks sweetzzz ... great efforts too 👌

... you have got lots of constructive arguments here, with hopes that can help you in a way or another 😉

... lets just leave that each to their own preferences... and continue do what you feel best to provide

... imho, choosing for strut is back to get on its rigidity with equal distribute forces, so yeaahh... a 1 pc 2-4pts would do me good ... and if its a 3pcs, i wud want to go on 6pts... well, that's just me
I looked at doing a 1 pc setup but I would have to sell the brace for 2.5k minimum, remember thats a giant block of 6061-t6 billet aluminum that has to be cut so a lot of waste. Im either going to stick to the current design or figure out a way to add 2 more bolts while still using the same layout to connect the strut brace and engine braces together. The whole thought of going after the current design is so we dont have to deal with the hassle of retrofitting parts. not to mention there are probably slight engine trim differences between the LCI and non LCi cars around the strut nuts. To add on with this being a solid billet part the cost to create such a mount that would allow us to use those strut nuts would cost more and a good bit at that. it has to come up about 2 inches then out while also clearing all the added ridges for support on the strut tower. This would mean instead of being able to use a 19.05mm thick block of aluminum it would need to be at minimum 3 inches.

The kit will also be coming with new grade 12.9 bolts so the comment from leem about the bolt sheering is kind of obsolete i doubt even the stock bolts would sheer.

Yes, while there is still a "benefit" from adding the 2 extra bolts 99% of the people buying this will never reach the point where the two extra bolts are needed. We are talking small gains at that for our chassis, Now if this was a g80 that was planted to the ground and could take a 2 g corner yes I would be worried with a design like this but the only area you are going to see High G's from our massive SUV/SAV is when launching the car. Even when launching the car the most we have seen from OUR chassis is around 1.2Gs.

While I think the current design works as needed, I will start working on a way to link the cross braces and strut braces with 2 extra bolts. It will be either by extending the mounting part of the engine brace to allow it to mount via the stock mounting point and another bolt that will be connecting it to the cross brace. or by creating another bar that goes from the engine brace to the cross brace going about 5-6inches from the bolt on the engine brace and 4 inches from the bolt on the cross brace(I don't really like the look of this as it makes it look busy)

At the end of the day I want to make a product that I'm happy and satisfied with and that others like as well.

Its midnight for me so hopefully this makes sense to everyone!
Paul Johnson Tunes/ACX Solutions Shop/Development Car, XHP stage 3 with custom settings, CTS Downpipe, intake, Chargepipe, turbo inlet, coils, Nostrum Stage 1 Injectors and Nostrum Big Bore HPFP, Vargas PCV and Oil cap, HnR springs, ACX Rear poly bushing, ACX Intake scoop
Appreciate 6
Rottweiler4331.50
Burr0013721.00
      05-24-2024, 12:35 AM   #58
Rottweiler
Captain (Retired)
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [6.83]
Go to sleep AshtonPJT
Appreciate 1
AshtonPJT734.00
      05-24-2024, 12:37 AM   #59
AshtonPJT
BM3 Tuner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottweiler View Post
Go to sleep AshtonPJT
Who needs sleep these days🤦🏻‍♂️
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 03:56 AM   #60
Private First Class
Singapore
Rep
Drives: x3

Garage List
20x3 Xsleep3r  [10.00]
... we need... sleep... well,at least at some point of time 😁

... well elaborated and solid points on your design, much appreciated

... and yes, agreed, a 1 pc would be on a higher cost point, as compared to 3 pcs... and that comes with another solid points also on why made a 1pc

it is
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 06:03 AM   #61
Gr8ZongB58
Your Average B58'er
Rep
Drives: 19' X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonPJT View Post
I looked at doing a 1 pc setup but I would have to sell the brace for 2.5k minimum, remember thats a giant block of 6061-t6 billet aluminum that has to be cut so a lot of waste. Im either going to stick to the current design or figure out a way to add 2 more bolts while still using the same layout to connect the strut brace and engine braces together. The whole thought of going after the current design is so we dont have to deal with the hassle of retrofitting parts. not to mention there are probably slight engine trim differences between the LCI and non LCi cars around the strut nuts. To add on with this being a solid billet part the cost to create such a mount that would allow us to use those strut nuts would cost more and a good bit at that. it has to come up about 2 inches then out while also clearing all the added ridges for support on the strut tower. This would mean instead of being able to use a 19.05mm thick block of aluminum it would need to be at minimum 3 inches.

The kit will also be coming with new grade 12.9 bolts so the comment from leem about the bolt sheering is kind of obsolete i doubt even the stock bolts would sheer.

Yes, while there is still a "benefit" from adding the 2 extra bolts 99% of the people buying this will never reach the point where the two extra bolts are needed. We are talking small gains at that for our chassis, Now if this was a g80 that was planted to the ground and could take a 2 g corner yes I would be worried with a design like this but the only area you are going to see High G's from our massive SUV/SAV is when launching the car. Even when launching the car the most we have seen from OUR chassis is around 1.2Gs.

While I think the current design works as needed, I will start working on a way to link the cross braces and strut braces with 2 extra bolts. It will be either by extending the mounting part of the engine brace to allow it to mount via the stock mounting point and another bolt that will be connecting it to the cross brace. or by creating another bar that goes from the engine brace to the cross brace going about 5-6inches from the bolt on the engine brace and 4 inches from the bolt on the cross brace(I don't really like the look of this as it makes it look busy)

At the end of the day I want to make a product that I'm happy and satisfied with and that others like as well.

Its midnight for me so hopefully this makes sense to everyone!
2.5k would be a 1 of 1 brace that makes your car special 😉 AshtonPJT .

Might as well name the brace eventuri and have Burr001 favorite shop install it for an additional $1K labor 🤣
2019 X3 M40i - MHD STG2 HPFP E40ish | MHD FlexFuel Kit | TU HPFP | xHP stg 3 | VRSF catless downpipe | MST intake | BMS occ | Verus turbo heat shield | P3 V3 gauge w/ P3 ESVA | FTP Charge Pipe | RossRacing PCV v1 VTA | MSS Springs | RES Exhaust w/o valves | Vossen HF-5 21x9.5/10.5 265/295 PS4S | Yellow DRLs | Paragon Rotors w/P3 pads | GTS Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 08:01 AM   #62
AshtonPJT
BM3 Tuner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8ZongB58 View Post
2.5k would be a 1 of 1 brace that makes your car special 😉 AshtonPJT .

Might as well name the brace eventuri and have Burr001 favorite shop install it for an additional $1K labor 🤣
Lmfao right now the current price of The design is still competitive to the x3m brace retrofit and cross braces currently on the market☺️
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2024, 08:58 AM   #63
deviation01
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40I

AshtonPJT

Not to hijack the thread again but what we discussed earlier for the trunk based on Mark 7 GTI. Simple to design just need to find the points it can connect to
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 09:47 AM   #64
AshtonPJT
BM3 Tuner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviation01 View Post
AshtonPJT

Not to hijack the thread again but what we discussed earlier for the trunk based on Mark 7 GTI. Simple to design just need to find the points it can connect to
Yes still need to look further into this, been working on this project currently and also my rear diff solution which will go in later tonight
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Burr0013721.00
TXGrey1368.00
      07-06-2024, 05:53 PM   #65
AshtonPJT
BM3 Tuner
United_States
Rep

Haven’t forget about this project, have been extremely slammed with tuning, life and some new projects that I’m a little more excited about atm. After I finish those which I’m hoping is this week I’m going to redesign this.

One of my projects is a grill snorkel to shove tons of fresh air into the intake currently just working on dialing in the 3d printer for production. Hopefully sending a unit to Burr001 this week to test out on an LCI x3

Working on getting a nice catalog of parts available before release
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Rottweiler4331.50
Burr0013721.00
      07-06-2024, 06:18 PM   #66
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Really good stuff my dude. Keep us updated with your steps.