BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-17-2024, 03:12 PM   #1
TrashPanduh
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3M

BMW X3M & Extended Warranty

Recently purchased a 2021 X3M w/ Competition Package w/ 43.5k miles. Vehicle was a lease return with all maintenance done at the dealership with BMW Ultimate Care+. Since the 4yr/50k miles factory warranty is close to expiring and because the car is somewhat higher mileage, I was interested in potentially getting a extended warranty.

Dealership is offering 5yr/65k miles warranty through Zurich for essentially $6k. Looked through the exclusion list, and it's pretty similar to BMW's and other third party warranty places like Fidelity.

Any thoughts on how this warranty is priced and if I should jump on it?

Last edited by TrashPanduh; 05-17-2024 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 05:57 PM   #2
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2025 M8 GC, 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

That’s a lot of $. Personally I only buy insurance to protect my liability, health, life, home and autos (with high deductibles). Everything else I self insure and if I had to guess have saved $100,000+ in premiums over the years easily. Now if I have a bad year and it cost me $10,000 I’m still way ahead.

Plus you can bring it to a reputable local shop for lot cheaper than dealer.
Appreciate 3
Jnat604.00
95wildtt977.00
      05-20-2024, 02:05 AM   #3
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
idk, that does seem a bit high. Contact two or three local bmw dealers, ask what they would sell you warranty for. The BMW insurance through CNA is pretty robust, if your SA is any good they will ensure anything is covered. It is the one thing I suggest you get if you intend to drive the car over 8k miles a year, it will save you wayyy more than it costs, I promise. I cant speak of how good zurich is. but I have had many cars on CNA and always saved at least twice as much as it cost. the trick is getting a good SA that will bang them out for you. Alot of them are hesitant, so just make sure your SA isnt a bitch and you will be good. Also remember, you can buy the warranty after your OEM warranty expires, it does not have to be purchased prior to expiration, so dont let your dealership pressure you citing timeline excuse.

Further points to disagree with above response from Gfit, yeah local shops can get the job cheaper, if you want to pinch pennies. At the end of the day, BMW dealership will always provide the highest level of work to your car and will have the most resources to get your car repaired correctly. I have over 10 BMWs, managing them is not easy. But one thing I can say for sure, my dealership service experiences are always top notch and beat out any indie shop in terms of the experience, considering if you are not paying for the dealer service. You get a BMW loaner when you plan ahead, you wont get that, or any loaner at your local shop. And while I have many cars at my disposal, it is always nice to get the dealer loaner so you can experience a different car each time. Or if you are really good with your SA, you can get them to rent you any type of car you want from enterprise. Once I was moving between apartments, my SA hooked me up with a pickup truck rental, you can't beat those kinds of options lol.

So yeah, if you can afford the warranty, get it. I can keep going on and on about it, but you know your car is in the best of hands possible at a BMW dealership. Anything happens, BMW corporate is liable. At your local shop, you are at the mercy of the owner being a dick or not.
Jnat604.00
      05-20-2024, 06:23 PM   #4
Highline-Autos.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: '15 BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashPanduh View Post
Recently purchased a 2021 X3M w/ Competition Package w/ 43.5k miles. Vehicle was a lease return with all maintenance done at the dealership with BMW Ultimate Care+. Since the 4yr/50k miles factory warranty is close to expiring and because the car is somewhat higher mileage, I was interested in potentially getting a extended warranty.

Dealership is offering 5yr/65k miles warranty through Zurich for essentially $6k. Looked through the exclusion list, and it's pretty similar to BMW's and other third party warranty places like Fidelity.

Any thoughts on how this warranty is priced and if I should jump on it?
Make sure the warranty terms are additional, either from the day you purchase the coverage or at the expiration of your factory warranty. I hear from people all the time purchasing coverage from the dealership not knowing the "start" of their extended warranty coverage was from the inservice date.

Trenton O. Gibson
tgibson@highline-autos.com
Highline Autos
Direct: 602.909.9216
Office: 480.348.0777

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2024, 12:52 PM   #5
Parnishka
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Black Sapphire

I got offered by my dealer 4800$ no deductible extended warranty for 84 month bumper to bumper from the 1st service date which was in 2021 August. You can negotiate that with no doubt cause at first they offer stupid amount hoping you will agree with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2024, 01:11 PM   #6
TacosRule!
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
if you intend to drive the car over 8k miles a year, it will save you wayyy more than it costs, I promise.

Please do elaborate...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2024, 01:12 PM   #7
TacosRule!
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnishka View Post
I got offered by my dealer 4800$ no deductible extended warranty for 84 month bumper to bumper from the 1st service date which was in 2021 August. You can negotiate that with no doubt cause at first they offer stupid amount hoping you will agree with it.

Thats not too bad, who was the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2024, 06:20 PM   #8
Parnishka
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacosRule! View Post
Thats not too bad, who was the dealer?
It’s in PA, Thompson BMW