BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-10-2024, 03:15 AM   #1
ix32024
Registered
Rep
Drives: ix3

Concerned about mileage on used ix3

First time poster here…
Considering buying a used ix3 M Sport Pro with around 35k miles. In an ICE vehicle I wouldn’t be concerned about that mileage but this is my first EV and can’t help thinking there is less battery warranty before I’ve even owned the car!

Does anyone have a higher mileage (50k, 60k, 70k+) iX3s? What has been your experience with the car, both battery degredagion and any other issues?

Also has anyone been offered an extension to the battery warranty beyond the 100k miles we get in the UK by BMW? Is this something that I could buy in future?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 04:50 AM   #2
ThreeXi
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Hello,

The iX3 is also the first EV I have owned too, although I owned it from new.

I was a little apprehensive about battery degradation because the closest association I have with battery wear is a mobile phone which falls off a cliff after two or three years, but after carrying out a check using an app called BimmerFlow and a OBDLinkCX reader, I’ve got no worries about battery degradation.

I’m on 23,000 miles after about 18 months, I only charge using a slow 3.5Kwh PodPoint at home and the battery has only lost 0.3% in health, if it carries on at that trend, the health will still be very good for higher mileages, I’m also planning on keeping the car after the PCP expires because of this.

Just my opinion again, the EV package within the car appears to be very well put together and is built to last. In fact, the first component to fail on my car was not EV related at all, it was stepper motors for the air vents, which are the same as ICE and PHEV vehicles.

I hope this helps?

Many thanks,
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
EVix53.50
      05-10-2024, 01:18 PM   #3
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Hi it's a good question that you ask. It all depends how and where the battery has been charged. For example a car that has been charged mostly at public charger points on 50+ Kw/h could degrade the battery more than if it was charged on a 7 Kw/h. So there are many factors to consider. However if you are planning to keep the car for three/four years its pretty safe to say you should not have any issues. Mine will be three years this September and it still shows 3 Kw/h per mile. No difference from the day I took the car.
Appreciate 2
      05-11-2024, 02:20 AM   #4
silent ninja
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

I haven't done any extensive research on this topic, but there are Teslas used as taxis with over 200k miles. According to one report, by then the battery will have degraded about 12% which sounds good to me.

What is the equivalent on an ICE car with 200k miles? I can't find any data, but plenty of anecdotal data to suggest majority of ICE are scrapped by then. I imagine they are in excess of 20% less efficient.

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/04/26/...%2Dmile%20mark.
Appreciate 1