BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-05-2024, 05:50 PM   #89
JonasM40i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonPJT View Post
I think I finally have a design I like and it uses the stock mounting points! Just need to add the small details and get approval by a few people before posting!
Was up till about 3am working on it then passed out
Looking forward to it.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 09:13 PM   #90
deviation01
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40I

Quote:
I think I finally have a design I like and it uses the stock mounting points! Just need to add the small details and get approval by a few people before posting!
Was up till about 3am working on it then passed out
That’s about perfect using stock mounting points and if it provides more rigidity to the front plus a nice look to it would be a winner.

I love bracing on cars.

Another idea would be a support bar for inside the trunk that ties the two rear wheels together. something you can put along the back of the seats so you don’t lose trunk utilization.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 11:47 PM   #91
AshtonPJT
BM3 Tuner
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviation01 View Post
That’s about perfect using stock mounting points and if it provides more rigidity to the front plus a nice look to it would be a winner.

I love bracing on cars.

Another idea would be a support bar for inside the trunk that ties the two rear wheels together. something you can put along the back of the seats so you don’t lose trunk utilization.
Ooo I like this idea a lot!!!! I wonder if I can do it without it being visible… I think the biggest issue will be finding mounting points in the chassis.I think if I made it a visable brace we would have to end up cutting a panel. This summer I plan on buying a 3d scanner for thing like this.
      05-06-2024, 12:58 AM   #92
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

I've never understood how small companies making struts, etc, can so easily improve a car's handling when the manufacturer, esp a company like BMW that claims to make drivers' cars, spends huge $$$ on developing these cars to be as good as they can be.

I can fully understand lowering kits, wider wheels....esp to improve the slightly dumpy looking X3m40, but I wouldn't claim it would improve handling performance, at least not without introducing significant negative aspects. The X3 is one inch too tall (esp the glasshouse), couple of inches too narrow, and the wheels sit in too much compared to the guards. The Benz equivalent looks just right (but I still bought the X3 at the time!)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 08:53 AM   #93
deviation01
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40I

Quote:
Ooo I like this idea a lot!!!! I wonder if I can do it without it being visible… I think the biggest issue will be finding mounting points in the chassis.I think if I made it a visable brace we would have to end up cutting a panel. This summer I plan on buying a 3d scanner for thing like this.
I think there may be some hidden points. Typically when I have experienced this maybe cutting the carpet to expose the points was needed but that’s about it.

Not sure if possible doe this car. I am sure something can be made to use stock locations if any.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 01:19 PM   #94
AshtonPJT
BM3 Tuner
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz View Post
I've never understood how small companies making struts, etc, can so easily improve a car's handling when the manufacturer, esp a company like BMW that claims to make drivers' cars, spends huge $$$ on developing these cars to be as good as they can be.

I can fully understand lowering kits, wider wheels....esp to improve the slightly dumpy looking X3m40, but I wouldn't claim it would improve handling performance, at least not without introducing significant negative aspects. The X3 is one inch too tall (esp the glasshouse), couple of inches too narrow, and the wheels sit in too much compared to the guards. The Benz equivalent looks just right (but I still bought the X3 at the time!)
Pretty much take the bracing they made in the car out of sheetmetal or steel tubing then improve on it. By nature a part that has less flex adds more rigidity to the car. I'll be making my post soon on my design