BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-04-2024, 08:48 PM   #1
Nippa
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Comp

Grinding/binding noise when making slow turns from a stop.

I wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue. It's been going on since last November when I first got the Einhorn egg bushing installed. I also got the rear and front diff and tcase oil changed.

Now what I have is if I'm at a dead stop and turn my wheel left or right slightly ( 20-30%). There an odd grindijg/ binding noise that comes from under the car. It now feels like a gear sound or like when you go full lock.

It's at slow speeds and stops if I left off the gas, or above a certain speed.

I was thinking to go back to a stock bushing to hunt this issue down.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 06:21 AM   #2
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippa View Post
I wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue. It's been going on since last November when I first got the Einhorn egg bushing installed. I also got the rear and front diff and tcase oil changed.

Now what I have is if I'm at a dead stop and turn my wheel left or right slightly ( 20-30%). There an odd grindijg/ binding noise that comes from under the car. It now feels like a gear sound or like when you go full lock.

It's at slow speeds and stops if I left off the gas, or above a certain speed.

I was thinking to go back to a stock bushing to hunt this issue down.

Any thoughts?
I have this since i purchased pre owned a year ago this June, i have about 22k miles at the moment and had 16k when i purchased. Noise/feel is exactly as you state and goes away after five seconds/pull off. It almost feels like the diff is binding to me, i'm not sure because it's intermittent and does it in my case maybe more after truck has sat for a while. It does not do it when pulling away straight, only when turning and pulling off which is why i'm thinking diff bind because it feels rear to me.
2015 235XI FBO / MHD E30
2009 335XI FBO / COBB / E30

Last edited by Jnat; 05-05-2024 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2024, 05:57 PM   #3
Nippa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnat View Post
I have this since i purchased pre owned a year ago this June, i have about 22k miles at the moment and had 16k when i purchased. Noise/feel is exactly as you state and goes away after five seconds/pull off. It almost feels like the diff is binding to me, i'm not sure because it's intermittent and does it in my case maybe more after truck has sat for a while. It does not do it when pulling away straight, only when turning and pulling off which is why i'm thinking diff bind because it feels rear to me.
Exactly the same for me. Wheel straight and it never happens. I have noticed I can make it extent, if I depress the throttle smoothly. It's really annoying in parking lots.
Appreciate 1
Jnat439.50
      05-05-2024, 08:17 PM   #4
drx4mc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F98 X4MC

Sounds like a differential issue, check for any leaks around the rear diff/axel boot area on both sides.
I've had this issue with one of my previous M cars.
      05-05-2024, 11:03 PM   #5
///LBB Rav
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M (Pre-LCI)

Yup - have the same issue. Was evident when I had the Einhorn in and now with the VTT full lockdown with oem bushing back in. Was never obvious when it was only the OEM bushing. Might be the bushing fix just transmitting noise into the cabin.
Appreciate 2
Jnat439.50
Nippa19.50
      05-06-2024, 05:54 AM   #6
///LBB Rav
Private
Australia
Rep

I should add that after I had the einhorn put in and a couple of visits back to the dealership, they suggested and performed a fluid change for the tcase and oil change for the front diff as they had found metal shavings in my tcase fluid…other than nvh, the head mechanic thought the solid bushing wasn’t causing any other problems - I’m also out of warranty and they didn’t think the tcase needed replacement so my wallet is extremely relieved. I had my car serviced about 1k kms later, which included fluid changes under bsi and they said no metal in the fluid. During the service they pulled the einhorn out and replaced the OEM back in as I was sick of the nvh and they wanted to confirm that the vibration I was feeling wasn’t anything more sinister. I haven’t checked the tcase fluids again since the vtt kit went in so can’t comment on any further wear.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 08:43 AM   #7
Nippa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///LBB Rav View Post
Yup - have the same issue. Was evident when I had the Einhorn in and now with the VTT full lockdown with oem bushing back in. Was never obvious when it was only the OEM bushing. Might be the bushing fix just transmitting noise into the cabin.
So once you went back to the stock bushing, this issue went away?
And once you installed the VTT lock down, it's back? Any difference from when you had the egg? Just as bad? As I was essentially about to do the same. I am also put of warranty and already picked up a oem bushing. Figured I'd ask if others had noticed it or had a fix if there was one
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2024, 11:43 AM   #8
///LBB Rav
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippa View Post
So once you went back to the stock bushing, this issue went away?
And once you installed the VTT lock down, it's back? Any difference from when you had the egg? Just as bad? As I was essentially about to do the same. I am also put of warranty and already picked up a oem bushing. Figured I'd ask if others had noticed it or had a fix if there was one
Yep, went away with oem and came back after VTT. I’ve got a jxb installed too but that hasn’t made the noise worse. I think both the egg and vtt are very similar in transmitting this particular noise. The egg was definitely worse for clunking noises out of the two but diff whine seems worse with vtt and the jxb - generally between 70-90kph is when it’s worst. I’m thinking of trying the transfer case insert too but I’m beginning to just accept some of these weird additional noise quirks and just enjoy the car knowing I’ve at least done one of the fixes
Appreciate 2
Jnat439.50
Nippa19.50