BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-31-2024, 10:40 PM   #1
Kilian1976
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Sunroof rattle on new X3 M40i

I have brought home a brand new 2024 X3 M40i, now with 380km. Today on my second drive to get gas, the sunroof rattles.

I managed to take a video which you Can hear the rattle. I’ve located where the rattle comes from - I believe it’s the tilt panel where it meets the middle bar that separates the stationary glass on the right side of the car.

When I wedge my index and middle finger, the rattle gets quieter and nearly gone. I can feel the glass vibrate on my fingers when car is in motion. Maybe that is normal.

Anyone else experience this? I have done a ton of research on this car and almost ever car owner loves their X3 and has no rattle
Issues. So of course I am very upset this is what I have to deal with and not confident it’s fixable.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LRz...w?usp=drivesdk
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 04:44 AM   #2
DmaxBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d

I had the same issue on my Dec 2023 X3 and due to a bird attack on my outer rubber seal (see earlier post) my panoramic roof had to be lifted out for that seal to be replaced.

As I also had the annoying clicking / rattling sound from day one, I asked the technician to investigate this at the same time.

In my case, I did find locating the source of the noise was very difficult and it seemed to move around, but I did establish that the sliding roof panel seemed to be out of alignment.

With the roof closed I pushed my finger in between the front edge of the sliding roof panel and the rubber seal (from the inside) and moved my finger from left to right across the width, it was clear that the gap from left to right was different with the side where the noise appeared to come from being slightly wider. I tested this theory by laying a thin slice of packaging foam over the rubber seal and then closing the roof trapping the foam, this eliminated the worst of the noise straight away.

When I took the car in for repair I had the technician do the same with his finger and he agreed that the gap seemed different, although he did suggest a "manufacturing tolerance" could be the reason, but he promised to investigate it.

I didn't get chance to speak to the technician when I collected the car, but the gap is now uniform across the front edge and the clicking noise has gone so I'm pretty sure he managed to adjust the roof position so that it presses against all of the seal equally.

In summary, I would start with the front edge and do the "finger test" to see if the sliding roof is aligned and compresses the front seal equally across the width.
If the roof is slightly tighter in some areas, it stands to reason that other areas are less tight, in my case these are the areas that made some noises whilst driving along.

Good luck getting it sorted, I know how annoying it is!

Last edited by DmaxBMW; 04-01-2024 at 04:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 05:08 AM   #3
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxBMW View Post
I had the same issue on my Dec 2023 X3 and due to a bird attack on my outer rubber seal (see earlier post) my panoramic roof had to be lifted out for that seal to be replaced.

As I also had the annoying clicking / rattling sound from day one, I asked the technician to investigate this at the same time.

In my case, I did find locating the source of the noise was very difficult and it seemed to move around, but I did establish that the sliding roof panel seemed to be out of alignment.

With the roof closed I pushed my finger in between the front edge of the sliding roof panel and the rubber seal (from the inside) and moved my finger from left to right across the width, it was clear that the gap from left to right was different with the side where the noise appeared to come from being slightly wider. I tested this theory by laying a thin slice of packaging foam over the rubber seal and then closing the roof trapping the foam, this eliminated the worst of the noise straight away.

When I took the car in for repair I had the technician do the same with his finger and he agreed that the gap seemed different, although he did suggest a "manufacturing tolerance" could be the reason, but he promised to investigate it.

I didn't get chance to speak to the technician when I collected the car, but the gap is now uniform across the front edge and the clicking noise has gone so I'm pretty sure he managed to adjust the roof position so that it presses against all of the seal equally.

In summary, I would start with the front edge and do the "finger test" to see if the sliding roof is aligned and compresses the front seal equally across the width.
If the roof is slightly tighter in some areas, it stands to reason that other areas are less tight, in my case these are the areas that made some noises whilst driving along.

Good luck getting it sorted, I know how annoying it is!
The BMW ISTA guide has details of the gap measurements/tolerances around the entire roof.

Example below, there appears to be what BMW calls a "special tool", which looks like a panel gap gauge, to aid with this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 11:16 AM   #4
keithguido
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3M40 1984 911 TARGA

Garage List
2023 BMW X3 M40  [10.00]
Why wouldn't you just take it back to the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 12:34 PM   #5
Leem40i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

I have a 2021 and the panoramic roof does exhibit a bit of squeaking or noise when you go over uneven bumps that cause the chassis to flex. I have found that getting a tube of silicone and spreading a good amount on all the rubber gaskets to include the sides front and most importantly the rear part of the glass where it seats against the second panel that doesn't move. That particular area is prone to making noise if it's not lubricated well. I tried the spray rubber rejuvenator made for seals and gaskets but it doesn't last long and goes on too thin. The silicone has the consistency of Vaseline and stays in place and is a bit thicker
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 03:01 PM   #6
Kilian1976
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leem40i View Post
I have a 2021 and the panoramic roof does exhibit a bit of squeaking or noise when you go over uneven bumps that cause the chassis to flex. I have found that getting a tube of silicone and spreading a good amount on all the rubber gaskets to include the sides front and most importantly the rear part of the glass where it seats against the second panel that doesn't move. That particular area is prone to making noise if it's not lubricated well. I tried the spray rubber rejuvenator made for seals and gaskets but it doesn't last long and goes on too thin. The silicone has the consistency of Vaseline and stays in place and is a bit thicker
What was the product you used? How often do you have to do that? When you apply the silicone does the squeak go away?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 03:56 PM   #7
Leem40i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian1976 View Post
What was the product you used? How often do you have to do that? When you apply the silicone does the squeak go away?
Yes, squeeking stops if you apply to all contact points. I applied it once and some of the squeaking stayed but I could tell what spot was squeaking so I reapplied a little more to cover a broader area and it went away

AGS SIL-Glyde Multi-Purpose All-Weather Lubricating Compound for All Surfaces - 8 oz Tube, Versitle Multi-Purpose Lubrication, All Weather, Auto, Home, Farm and Shop https://a.co/d/4Cpn46t
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 04:38 PM   #8
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

You'd think after decades of doing this shit they'd sort their act out :-/

Mine rattles when fully open. Had it back after 3months new and they said they'd fixed it. Clearly not. Service in 200miles so they can sort it then. Again. LOL ...
Appreciate 0