BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-04-2023, 10:27 PM   #1
Must_Go_FASTER
formerly rdougherty85
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Comp MBB

Anyone else using the Racechip XLR5??

Soooo, installed the RC GTS black last week, felt like a solid performance improvement. Took it out for a drive and giggled like a schoolgirl... good times. Little disappointed in the lack of features like my old JB4 had, though.

Fast forward to tonight when I installed the XLR5 throttle response chip and hoooooooly chit. Giggling like a school girl?? Relatively sure I SQUEALED when I turned everything up.

Like... the GTS is a good upgrade, no doubt. But the GTS turned up to 7 with the highest setting on the XLR5 is bonkers.

Just curious, as I really hadn't heard anything specific about the XLR add-on and can't find really any posts about it. That being said, if you have a RC GTS and don't have the XLR, you're missing out.
Appreciate 6
FBF01142.00
joebie3458.50
95wildtt983.00
AZM40i261.00
Skiddz40.50
      12-05-2023, 07:32 AM   #2
BrentCOS
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Must_Go_FASTER View Post
Soooo, installed the RC GTS black last week, felt like a solid performance improvement. Took it out for a drive and giggled like a schoolgirl... good times. Little disappointed in the lack of features like my old JB4 had, though.

Fast forward to tonight when I installed the XLR5 throttle response chip and hoooooooly chit. Giggling like a school girl?? Relatively sure I SQUEALED when I turned everything up.

Like... the GTS is a good upgrade, no doubt. But the GTS turned up to 7 with the highest setting on the XLR5 is bonkers.

Just curious, as I really hadn't heard anything specific about the XLR add-on and can't find really any posts about it. That being said, if you have a RC GTS and don't have the XLR, you're missing out.
I'm curious as to why you didn't go with the JB4. I, too, have heard that the JB4 has more options/features vs Race Chip but both units do a great job of adding power.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 09:06 AM   #3
NoTanks52
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Is install the same difficulty on both units, or which one is easier?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 11:06 AM   #4
Must_Go_FASTER
formerly rdougherty85
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Comp MBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentCOS View Post
I'm curious as to why you didn't go with the JB4. I, too, have heard that the JB4 has more options/features vs Race Chip but both units do a great job of adding power.
Curiousity, really. I have upgraded turbos coming soon so just wanted something for a little extra juice until I can iron out all the details of getting that installed/tuned.

Still prefer the JB4 interface, no doubt. That being said, this XLR box really makes up for the initial disappointment in the RC GTS. Thinking I'll get out today/tomorrow and do some Dragy runs on both Normal and Race+ settings to see the difference between just the GTS and the GTS w/XLR5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTanks52 View Post
Is install the same difficulty on both units, or which one is easier?
Are you asking the difficulty between the JB4 and the RC GTS, or the GTS and the XLR5 add-on? I'll answer both. The JB4 and RC GTS installation is almost identical. Both simple in theory, but one of the sensor connections is a moderate-extreme ass pain. The XLR5 install is a breeze compared to the main piggybacks (JB4/GTS). It's really meant to be used in conjunction with the RC GTS. The XLR5 chip is basically removing a small circular plastic piece at the base of the pedal, removing one bolt to loosen the pedal assembly and the whole thing pulls up from the floor. Then you simply pull the stock sensor/connector off the pedal assembly, plug that into the XLR5 connector, then plug the XLR5 into the pedal assembly. Took me more time to settle on a spot to put the chip and fanagle the wiring so it looks clean.
Appreciate 2
AZM40i261.00
      12-05-2023, 12:35 PM   #5
NoTanks52
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Must_Go_FASTER View Post
Curiousity, really. I have upgraded turbos coming soon so just wanted something for a little extra juice until I can iron out all the details of getting that installed/tuned.

Still prefer the JB4 interface, no doubt. That being said, this XLR box really makes up for the initial disappointment in the RC GTS. Thinking I'll get out today/tomorrow and do some Dragy runs on both Normal and Race+ settings to see the difference between just the GTS and the GTS w/XLR5.

Are you asking the difficulty between the JB4 and the RC GTS, or the GTS and the XLR5 add-on? I'll answer both. The JB4 and RC GTS installation is almost identical. Both simple in theory, but one of the sensor connections is a moderate-extreme ass pain. The XLR5 install is a breeze compared to the main piggybacks (JB4/GTS). It's really meant to be used in conjunction with the RC GTS. The XLR5 chip is basically removing a small circular plastic piece at the base of the pedal, removing one bolt to loosen the pedal assembly and the whole thing pulls up from the floor. Then you simply pull the stock sensor/connector off the pedal assembly, plug that into the XLR5 connector, then plug the XLR5 into the pedal assembly. Took me more time to settle on a spot to put the chip and fanagle the wiring so it looks clean.
Appreciate the detailed response, thank you
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2024, 08:20 AM   #6
lalay1
Rep
Drives: 2011 328I Xdrive

Garage List
Race Chip VS XLR/Pedal Commander

Ok i'm doing some research, This is what i understand a pedal commander just goes in between the gas pedal and the and the ECU which changes the pedal input to remove the fly by wire lag that the new fly by wire cars use today.
I have deleted the some of the informaiton i originnally stated as i found out the race chip only sells the pedal commander for my year BMW.

Last edited by lalay1; 01-05-2024 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0