BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-24-2023, 01:34 PM   #1
turbonator
Rep
Drives: M3

Buying current X3MC vs next gen X3MC vs new GLC 63 S

Thinking about my possible options for a new daily driver. If I go down this path, it will be my first SUV after having exclusively driven sports cars, coupes and sedans.

Here's what I'm debating:

1. Current X3MC: last year for this gen and issues should be worked out by now but tech/interior might be getting dated. I also keep my cars for several years so this could be more noticeable. I also don't see any appreciable discounts that could sway me to this choice.

2. Next gen X3MC: Looks to be at least 1 year or more out. I haven't seen many details on the new power train except that it'll be a hybrid with drawbacks being weight and complexity. First year of a new gen also typically has more issues.

3. The new GLC 63 S: Official details have been released recently and I've watched the reviews on YT. Interior looks really nice. The 4-cylinder is disappointing to see in an AMG model but as long as the performance is there it's not a deal killer. It'll also be first-year production, which combined with the hybrid system, could mean more problems.

Appreciate any thoughts
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 02:37 PM   #2
Bimma360
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F97 X3M, E36 M3

I just bought my 2020 X3M about a month and a half ago, and am currently sitting at 20k miles. Here are my thoughts, but I may not be totally relatable to your experiences.

1. Current X3MC: This would be my vote. I too come from sports cars, coupes and sedans. For me though, all of my cars have been "vintage" from the 80's - early 00's. My first suv and newest car I have owned is an E53 X5 4.8is. The X3M replaced that, and I have really enjoyed it. It is certainly not a sedan, but compared to vintage cars it really hasn't left me wanting too badly. It is so much nicer than my older bimmers, and the performance is so much higher. It may not be as "connected" as older cars, but for me it really isn't that bad, and it really makes up for it with the performance and interior quality. I used to be the enthusiast that bad mouthed newer cars, but now that I own one (an SUV at that) I am really eating my words. I like it a lot. So much so, that I know I would love the G80 M3 that much more. I am already window shopping them to go alongside the X3M haha. It sounds like you are in the market for a brand new one. If it were me, and buy a used one with less than 10k miles (lets say with 4 years of warranty left) at somewhat of a discount vs brand new. I like it so much that I don't really have other model envy. Unless, its sedan envy haha.

2. Next gen X3MC: I am learning my lesson to not necessarily dismiss new tech. BUT I am not fully sold on the whole hybrid thing. God knows what the styling will be like.

3. The new GLC 63 S: 4 Cyl and hybrid too, right? I am sure it will be fine, and the modern Benz interiors are really nice. This wouldn't even be on my list though. The 4 cylinder kills it for me when there are other options out there right now.

Last edited by Bimma360; 10-24-2023 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 03:02 PM   #3
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

My wife's DD is a '22 X3MC. The interior is very nice and is not/will not appear dated even in a few years. I've always waited several model years for bugs/kinks to be worked out; however, last year we traded my wife's '20 Grand Cherokee Summit for a '23 GCL Summit (ordered) and had nothing but issue with the new tech in the '23. I had to hear weekly about how her '20 was perfect and nothing worked in the '23. Thus the GCL was traded for the current X3MC after less than a year of ownership.

I thought about, briefly, trading my '22 330e for a '23 M340i but do not like the new tech, so I will keep my paid off '22.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2023, 06:12 PM   #4
chrisk03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

If you keep your vehicles for several years, no doubt you should buy present X3MC, IMHO...for precisely the reasons you stated.

That said, I despise the newer hybrid tech, iPad/touch interiors and the 4cyl in the AMG. Too much complexity/weight, more likely to malfunction, and overall less safe with the touch stuff.

Just my opinion/.02. Good luck! 👍
      10-24-2023, 06:49 PM   #5
will0621
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M5c, 20 X3MC, 20 X5 40i

Seeing driving reviews about the XM and C63s e performance did not have me thrilled about these newer and upcoming hybrid powertrains, so I decided to pick up a current gen X3MC to go along with my F90 and X5. I’m probably keeping these for a while until these newer performance hybrid systems get ironed out, or I’m just going pure EV eventually. also 100k for a glc is absurd
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      10-26-2023, 12:29 AM   #6
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

The fact that AMG models are now using a 4 banger & super heavy hybrid systems is a touch sad. That's a big potential headache I wouldn't want anything to do with down the road. AMG isn't what it use to be, by a long shot.

The S-58 on the other hand is a proven performer & pure monster in every category. Many well respected motor builders & engine tuners have quoted is as being one of the finest ICE power plants built to date.

Before the next wave of EV's saturate the market, I'm hoping to buy one more S-58 powered sleeper. That is, before the last one rolls off the production line. Saying that true M machines are my cup of tea in all regards would be a substantial understatement.

2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///

Last edited by Kevin_The_Clean1; 10-29-2023 at 01:27 AM..
Appreciate 2
Oldgixxer2075.00
Max Well5003.00
      10-26-2023, 05:45 AM   #7
M4Lou
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24'-x3m40i/23'-m4c /24'-x3mc

I just order a 2024 x3mc, so there's my vote. I think the S58 is special.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2023, 02:03 PM   #8
Stereolab42
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3M Comp

Garage List
2023 BMW X3M  [0.00]
I owned a 2019 GLC63 before I sold it for my 2023 X3M. The new GLC63 looks like a dog, IMHO. Enormously overweight with a overly complex hybrid system. I can't comprehend why anyone would buy a "performance hybrid" when pure electric or pure gas alternatives are available for similar prices, that weigh less, with better performance. (BMW is not immune to this of course, look at the incomprehensible XM.)
Appreciate 1
chrisk03153.00
      10-27-2023, 10:30 AM   #9
x3mdustin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x3m

I'm not for electric at all yet....why? Sustained performance power, I can run my x3m until the last drop of gas leaves the injector and fires in the cylinder.....EV like the Tesla Plaid, which is very fast, but very short lived on the time you can sustain hyper speeds, so it's just a tease for me, and very disappointing to have to recharge or cool down the battery, I push my x3m hard at times and the temp gauge does not move and you have power all the time at red line until you get tired of running or run out of road, no comparison between battery and ice engine.....love my battery power tools though.....lol.
Appreciate 1
KodiakEd246.00
      10-28-2023, 05:10 PM   #10
turbonator
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereolab42 View Post
I owned a 2019 GLC63 before I sold it for my 2023 X3M. The new GLC63 looks like a dog, IMHO. Enormously overweight with a overly complex hybrid system. I can't comprehend why anyone would buy a "performance hybrid" when pure electric or pure gas alternatives are available for similar prices, that weigh less, with better performance. (BMW is not immune to this of course, look at the incomprehensible XM.)
Yeah the huge and garish XM. I test drove one at a BMW event and the thing was a land barge. The target audience for that thing isn't a driving enthusiast but the social media influencer type.
Appreciate 3