BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-07-2023, 11:22 PM   #1
MX330I
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 G01 X3 30i  [0.00]
Frog noise from the air vent

Weird frog noise coming from the driver's side vent when in auto mode or when air blows towards you. Continues when the vent is turned off. Did anyone have this problem? How hard is this to DIY? Car is out of warranty now.
Video: https://youtube.com/shorts/3lRNUZwo_x4

Last edited by MX330I; 10-07-2023 at 11:47 PM.. Reason: added video
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 03:41 AM   #2
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Most likely a faulty blend door actuator or motor. Check for codes using ISTA. You can also use ISTA or a good scan tool to test the blend door operation and find out which one is making the noise.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 06:45 PM   #3
MX330I
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 G01 X3 30i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondJayRoM3 View Post
Most likely a faulty blend door actuator or motor. Check for codes using ISTA. You can also use ISTA or a good scan tool to test the blend door operation and find out which one is making the noise.
Seems it got fixed itself or I did it by lubricating with silicon lubricant the gears and in around those air flap actuators (accessible by removing the trim panel in the driver's footwell, lowering the knee airbag (disconnect the battery first and wait for 30 min). Since I did not know for sure which actuator was causing the noise and did not have the spare part, I just hit the assembly with the lubricant. I think most times these motors are not really broken but just get "stuck" due to dirt or lack of lubrication. BMW would replace it.

Is there anyway to use apps other than ISTA, e.g. Bimmerlink for doing testing like this?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 08:52 PM   #4
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX330I View Post
Seems it got fixed itself or I did it by lubricating with silicon lubricant the gears and in around those air flap actuators (accessible by removing the trim panel in the driver's footwell, lowering the knee airbag (disconnect the battery first and wait for 30 min). Since I did not know for sure which actuator was causing the noise and did not have the spare part, I just hit the assembly with the lubricant. I think most times these motors are not really broken but just get "stuck" due to dirt or lack of lubrication. BMW would replace it.

Is there anyway to use apps other than ISTA, e.g. Bimmerlink for doing testing like this?
Good to hear. Hopefully your fix holds up.

As for the apps, my limited experience with them is no. They are usually just fancy code readers with coding capability and some live data features. Bimmerlink lists some bidirectional website but again very limited. Same goes for Carly. Stick with ISTA or a good scan tool with full bidirectional support.
Appreciate 0